Author Topic: MechWarrior: Destiny  (Read 132008 times)

Mendou

• Master Sergeant
Re: MechWarrior: Destiny
« Reply #720 on: 02 October 2019, 06:45:56 »
What support?
The corebook is not even out of beta yet.
The system that the game was made for appears to be dead or so back burner its domain lapsed.
And the still active version of the Cue system, SR:A only has one supporting book since 2016.
With the only plans for a clan sourcebook I don't see this support.
EVERY BattleTech product released is support for MWD, because every one includes backstory/stats which can be modded/maps/miniatures/scenarios already designed to fit the world of MWD. If that isn't support, I don't know what is.

As for Cosmic Patrol, I don't know enough about it to make any authoritative statements, but as all books released for it combined are thinner than AToW, I imagine it has just a bit less backstory and a much smaller interested population of gamers than the BT universe as a whole.

Mendou

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #721 on: 02 October 2019, 06:53:35 »
It really boils down to the players.  I have had groups that go dead silent when I queue them.  I stare awkwardly for a minute, then feel bad for offering suggestions on possible actions they may take.  I ask them if there's anything I can improve and they always answer "No, I'm having fun."  I often feel I'm asking the sitcom question, "Does this dress make me look ugly?" and the players aren't expressing their feelings.

Then, in my current group, they have me describing half a city, an entire dinner menu, names of professors and students, as well as academic departments and who might've donated money to get buildings built on campus.  The most Mech action they've had is one of the players using a Powerman to unload crates from a dropship.  The sheer level of detail they love, and the fact that they just want to RP their characters based on all their AToW skills has been amazing.  Perhaps they'd be good in a narrative game, but I think they enjoy testing my improvisational limits.
I'm envious of your current group. That sounds like my group of longtime friends who ran an MW3 campaign with very little 'Mech combat, events in the campaign mainly being focused on life on the DropShip en route to contracts. Best BT RPG experience I've had to date. . . .

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #722 on: 02 October 2019, 07:09:15 »
Aside: it occurs to me that a lot of rpg groups could save time and grief just talking honestly about what they want to get out of the group to begin with. A gaming DTR.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #723 on: 02 October 2019, 07:22:29 »
Aside: it occurs to me that a lot of rpg groups could save time and grief just talking honestly about what they want to get out of the group to begin with. A gaming DTR.

That depends on being open and honest in a group situation and a firm degree of self-awareness. Neither of those are a given and not even from That Guy either. Some people think they want a rules-lite, narrative experience and are willing to ignore signs they'd like something structured and crunchier. They don't know until they've invested the time, at which point it is probably too late to pull the GM aside.

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #724 on: 02 October 2019, 09:45:29 »
Self-reflection really is a helpful skill. In every part of one's life.

MW:D actually could help with that, too. ;-)
liber et infractus

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #725 on: 02 October 2019, 09:49:53 »
ATOW isnt for everyone.
Destiny isnt for everyone.

And thats ok. The above should be accepted truth, and not a debatable flaw of either system. Itd be nice if everyone agreed on that so the discussion in here can be about what Destiny is, not what it isnt.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #726 on: 02 October 2019, 10:30:40 »
ATOW isnt for everyone.
Destiny isnt for everyone.

And thats ok. The above should be accepted truth, and not a debatable flaw of either system. Itd be nice if everyone agreed on that so the discussion in here can be about what Destiny is, not what it isnt.

Given that an RPG is only what you make out of it, i think we're gonna be continuing to argue over what it is not for a good while yet.  >:D
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #727 on: 02 October 2019, 11:58:32 »
Given that an RPG is only what you make out of it, i think we're gonna be continuing to argue over what it is not for a good while yet.  >:D
Can we not? I'd like to read discussion on Destiny at it is, not the discussion of people trying to force it into another vein because they dont like Narrative games.

Orin J.

• Captain
« Reply #728 on: 02 October 2019, 12:25:41 »
Can we not? I'd like to read discussion on Destiny at it is, not the discussion of people trying to force it into another vein because they dont like Narrative games.

In all seriousness, discussing narrative games is like teaching cats synchronized swimming. The virtues of playing them are entirely dependent on the group you have being good at roleplaying games, not the abstracted mechanics themselves.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #729 on: 02 October 2019, 12:38:11 »
EVERY BattleTech product released is support for MWD, because every one includes backstory/stats which can be modded/maps/miniatures/scenarios already designed to fit the world of MWD. If that isn't support, I don't know what is.

Although I don't technically disagree, compare (for instance) one of the old 2nd edition adventure modules to an equivalent pagecount of TRO entries. Very different products, very different kinds and levels of "support." Particularly when it comes to action outside of 'Mech combat.

Is there a particular kind of content that would make it easier for you to put a narrative gaming session together?

not the discussion of people trying to force it into another vein because they dont like Narrative games.

That isn't what's been happening. But instead of continuing the tangent by explaining it, I'll instead ask, do you have a particular question or observation about Destiny you do wish to see discussed?
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #730 on: 02 October 2019, 13:49:35 »
What information is needed to roleplay a BattleTech game?
I know all the House and Handbook sourcebooks can fit in, but there are some basic that I think need to be included?

What is money?  How do you pay for things? How do you steal it?
How do people communicate?  How do you steal communications? Do people have phone numbers, emails addresses, or what do they call them?  How likely are you to have instant communications with somewhere (within the same city, within the same world, between worlds)?
How do people travel? Within a city, within a world, between worlds.
How does nobility work?  Are there legal restrictions on what non-nobility can do?  How do you become nobility?  If a noble accuses you of a crime, are you screwed?
How does law enforcement work?  What are some laws that might get players in trouble? How can players be a part of law enforcement (deputize? or stuck as vigilantes?)
What's in a typccal house/apartment, office building, military base?

I know many of these will vary (the Davion Outback likely has different weapon regulations than New Avalon).  But I think there are some basics questions about how to be in the BattleTech universe that would be helpful?

Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #731 on: 02 October 2019, 16:35:19 »
I know all the House and Handbook sourcebooks can fit in, but there are some basic that I think need to be included?

Issues here comes from what era you want to play in because in general the books needed change based on the era.

Bout the same as today. Money is both paper and electronic (more paper outside the core worlds) in the Innersphere.

How do people communicate?  How do you steal communications? Do people have phone numbers, emails addresses, or what do they call them?  How likely are you to have instant communications with somewhere (within the same city, within the same world, between worlds)?

I would guess "skype type" communications on planet, And by HPG A/B for interstellar.

Wheeled and hover transport for city travel (Check out Technical Readout Vehicle Annex).
Air or Suborbital for world travel. (See above)
Chartered Dropship for interstellar.

How does nobility work?  Are there legal restrictions on what non-nobility can do?  How do you become nobility?  If a noble accuses you of a crime, are you screwed?

this one really depends on the house involved.

How does law enforcement work?  What are some laws that might get players in trouble? How can players be a part of law enforcement (deputize? or stuck as vigilantes?)
What's in a typical house/apartment, office building, military base?

This seems to be the same as earth depending on the tech level of the planet.
So low tech levels will be more backwoods farming communities, where high-tech worlds will be like a high-tech version of New York.

I know many of these will vary (the Davion Outback likely has different weapon regulations than New Avalon).  But I think there are some basics questions about how to be in the BattleTech universe that would be helpful?

That would be a general run down and can very between eras, but should be close.
P.S. @nckestrel
I know you where probably not looking for the answers but I felt it would be helpful to others that where. :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: 02 October 2019, 16:37:25 by victor_shaw »

Orin J.

• Captain
« Reply #732 on: 02 October 2019, 17:18:23 »

What's in a typccal house/apartment, office building, military base?

How accessible are local governments? how accessible of planetary governments? which ones are in charge of what? how do they enforce trademarks, if at all?

what is a "normal" education, and howmuch does it vary from world to world?
how often does a normal person get to see a Battlemech? or any kind of 'mech, really?
How open and accessible is the local news? how controlled is it?
we could go on like this.....

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #733 on: 02 October 2019, 17:48:11 »
So do weapon groups hit the same location?
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #734 on: 02 October 2019, 18:11:32 »
I think so, it seems they may have borrowed a little from what you were trying to do!  ;)
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #735 on: 02 October 2019, 19:11:50 »
If they follow the Tactical Operations rules for Linked/Group Weapon Groups, roll locations separately for each weapon.

fever_Dream.)

• Private
« Reply #736 on: 02 October 2019, 19:16:39 »
I'm envious of your current group. That sounds like my group of longtime friends who ran an MW3 campaign with very little 'Mech combat, events in the campaign mainly being focused on life on the DropShip en route to contracts. Best BT RPG experience I've had to date. . . .
Lightning in a bottle, really.  The way they go into minute details with very little rolling seems more proper for a narrative game.  So again, players.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2019, 02:23:33 by fever_Dream.) »

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #737 on: 02 October 2019, 22:42:42 »
I think so, it seems they may have borrowed a little from what you were trying to do!  ;)

Huh?
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Mendou

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #738 on: 03 October 2019, 06:36:57 »
Judging by the fact that 2 PPCs do a total of 7 damage, I'd say everything in one Weapon Group hits the same location.

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #739 on: 03 October 2019, 07:31:23 »
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #740 on: 03 October 2019, 07:36:58 »
In all seriousness, discussing narrative games is like teaching cats synchronized swimming. The virtues of playing them are entirely dependent on the group you have being good at roleplaying games, not the abstracted mechanics themselves.
As long as a game has mechanics, we can discuss them. I would be highly interested in user's experiences with the dice mechanics, for example. Especially what they think of the highly flexible difficulty that comes from the GM rolling 2-4 d6. My first idea was: "Cool, that's a lot of randomness." My next one was: "Is this good or wouldn't I be fine with a less flexible approach like '4 / 7 / 11 + 1d6'?"

Also, I'm very much up to the players rolling all the dice. Make them deliver their doom themselves, so to speak. >:D I have dice in so many colors, mixing up the dice wouldn't be a problem. Especially if you combine both ideas and have them add only one Die of Destiny (i. e. the GM's die) which adds a fixed value depending on the difficulty I set.

And thirdly, the Die of Destiny explodes, if the GM expends a plot point after a '6' came up.

All of this is meant to create more stable results, while still having options for total mayhem.
liber et infractus

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #741 on: 03 October 2019, 09:25:23 »
Your alt battletech rules

They've had this stuff in the works long before it. It's... maybe slightly similar.

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #742 on: 03 October 2019, 11:18:25 »
They've had this stuff in the works long before it. It's... maybe slightly similar.
Seems like you both were in heading in the same direction just taking different roads

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #743 on: 06 October 2019, 11:54:20 »
I was having a conversation with Abou today... we were thinking, for the "fiction" presentation in Destiny (Dragon's Lair) how about splitting it up and adding in some player/gm narrative with the story as an example? I think this would be a good way to convey how the game is supposed to play.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #744 on: 06 October 2019, 11:56:29 »
I'd only be in favor of spreading out the fiction as examples.  More than one story per rule book really makes looking up rules annoying.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #745 on: 06 October 2019, 13:46:04 »
I'd only be in favor of spreading out the fiction as examples.  More than one story per rule book really makes looking up rules annoying.

It would be its own chapter. So you would have the fiction presented, but then say, a section in italic that depicts the interaction between the GM and Players. Like a break in the fiction before the important event happens. Then you get the rest of the book with the rules and such.

I think this would work great. It would show how Destiny is supposed to flow like a novel and give examples on how plot points should be used.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #746 on: 06 October 2019, 14:05:53 »
Then I'm behind the idea 100%!  :thumbsup:

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #747 on: 09 October 2019, 08:47:15 »
The more I read and reread the book, the more I like the system, but the more convinced I am that there needs to be a big effort to reorder the content. 

I added a lot of comments through the official feedback form, including some of the points that others have made here, but I really do think that this system is a winner and will be a lot more approachable once some more gameplay examples are added and a few sections are shuffled around.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #748 on: 09 October 2019, 19:13:52 »
As long as AToW continues to receive support, I won't complain...

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #749 on: 09 October 2019, 21:32:17 »
The more I read and reread the book, the more I like the system, but the more convinced I am that there needs to be a big effort to reorder the content. 

I added a lot of comments through the official feedback form, including some of the points that others have made here, but I really do think that this system is a winner and will be a lot more approachable once some more gameplay examples are added and a few sections are shuffled around.

I have to agree with you there.