Author Topic: NorCal Area: Anyone still Kicking?  (Read 12779 times)

Vedgy

• Recruit
Re: NorCal Area: Anyone still Kicking?
« Reply #30 on: 17 September 2021, 19:53:58 »
Ok, so I've only ever played Classic and I'm trying to get ready for alpha strike. I've printed my cards, and I've got the standard mini games equipment (dice, counters, measuring tools, dry erase markers). Is there anything else I should grab before we get started?
Clan Goliath Scorpion
Delta Galaxy
20th Scorpion Cuirassiers

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 17 September 2021, 22:38:14 »
I haven’t seen the size of the tables they’ll be getting at GoB. I stopped in the store today and they weren’t there. Hopefully they’ll have the 40k tables set up by then and we can run on those. If not we’ll probably use hex mats.

I’ll be printing a few of the DFA Wargaming reference sheet. It should cover just about everything. They have some good learn to play alpha strike videos. I’ll bring my iPad too, I have pdf copies. 
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Vedgy

• Recruit
« Reply #32 on: 18 September 2021, 08:30:57 »
I checked out a couple of their videos, which helped me navigate the alpha strike card customization. I'll need pointers on things like what sprinting is and how I can unload battle armor.

I'm looking forward to it. Just gotta find the time in my schedule.
Clan Goliath Scorpion
Delta Galaxy

Vedgy

• Recruit
« Reply #33 on: 19 September 2021, 19:33:52 »
Ok, I've got the go-ahead to play on 10/2. If that works for you guys, tell me when we're meeting up and I'll be there.

Also, finished the last model I need to be fully painted at 300pts.
Clan Goliath Scorpion
Delta Galaxy

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 19 September 2021, 19:49:00 »
Nice. I’ll know more about the time once I give them a call but they open at 11, so anytime after that works. I’m relatively close by

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 26 September 2021, 10:54:22 »
Nice. I’ll know more about the time once I give them a call but they open at 11, so anytime after that works. I’m relatively close by

So it sounds like we have three people showing up for alpha strike at Games of Brentwood on Saturday, October 2nd.  Is that right? Are we shooting for 11?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 26 September 2021, 11:23:08 »
Hope you all have a good game! 

Vedgy

• Recruit
« Reply #37 on: 26 September 2021, 21:39:55 »
11am on Saturday. See you there.
Clan Goliath Scorpion
Delta Galaxy

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: 26 September 2021, 23:13:13 »
Since Endgame closed in Oakland, I haven't seen any postings for get togethers in the Bay Area.  I'm up in Sonoma County in Santa Rosa.  Now that we're able to get vaccinated (sooner or later!) is there still a community getting together and playing a game now and then?

Cheers,

Mad

It'd be cool to see pics if someone takes them...
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 27 September 2021, 00:47:08 »
Yeah let’s shoot for 11. 300 PV.

If anyone has a mat that would be ideal. It doesn’t look like they have brought in the gaming tables yet. I can bring my paper maps if we need. Or scrounge up some stuff to have 3d terrain.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 27 September 2021, 10:51:58 »
I have 1 BattleMat:  Alpine/Grasslands C.  If anyone has another I think two BattleMats would do it.  One might be a little tight but since we're all learning Alpha Strike I'm sure it will work.

Vedgy

• Recruit
« Reply #41 on: 29 September 2021, 20:08:06 »
I have the hex maps from the starter box, but no mats. I have a bunch of 2d terrain if you want me to bring it.
Clan Goliath Scorpion
Delta Galaxy

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 29 September 2021, 20:52:38 »
I have the tukkayid maps and the two KS wave 2.5 map sets (alien worlds and desert). I can bring those and we should be good. if you bring the terrain, we could just push two tables together to get the space we need.

Kerfuffin925

• Recruit
« Reply #43 on: 02 October 2021, 01:17:07 »
So just confirming.
Tomorrow at 11am (roughly 12 hours from this post) at games of Brentwood.

2430 Sand Creek Rd Suite D-3

It’s in the raleys shopping center

300Pts alpha strike. (I’ll bring a 600 pt list as well, so we can do a 2v1 so one of us isn’t sitting off to the side).

I will be bringing my tablet with the alpha strike rule book along with some cheat sheets.

Vedgy

• Recruit
« Reply #44 on: 02 October 2021, 08:50:27 »
I'll be there. I'm bringing my 2d terrain set and my 300pt army, but no hex maps.
Clan Goliath Scorpion
Delta Galaxy

Vedgy

• Recruit
« Reply #45 on: 02 October 2021, 18:47:34 »
Thanks for the game, guys. I had fun.
And Aires just got one of the Star boxes available for pre-order this afternoon.
Clan Goliath Scorpion
Delta Galaxy

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 02 October 2021, 19:12:17 »
I had a great time!  Perfect way to get a first game of Alpha Strike under my belt! 

What happened on the second game after I left?

Vedgy

• Recruit
« Reply #47 on: 02 October 2021, 19:15:14 »
I went yolo with my super fast models, tried to swarm with my battle armor, and lost everything pretty quick. Doesn't help when you have a very small force and your assault mech misses every shot.
Clan Goliath Scorpion
Delta Galaxy

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 02 October 2021, 20:00:54 »
Yes a little too aggressive with the Hellion, and then I was able to concentrate fire a little better. I was able to roll about 50/50 on the critical turns, while the Goliath Scorpions couldn’t hit after the first couple turns.

I ended up loosing 4 mechs tho, so it was closer than it looked.

The one turn of shooting at long and the rest of the game at medium let my  weaker long range damage mechs compete with the much better pound for pound clan mechs. 

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 02 October 2021, 20:09:10 »
But yes I had a good time today, we can try concord or even Antioch next time. A little less convenient for me anyhow.  :))

Vedgy

• Recruit
« Reply #50 on: 02 October 2021, 20:17:05 »
It's a little better for me to go to Antioch than concord but not much. Concord breaks the 1 hour mental barrier that makes me balk.
Clan Goliath Scorpion
Delta Galaxy

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 02 October 2021, 20:28:38 »
We’ll figure something out. What packs were you able to pre-order?

Vedgy

• Recruit
« Reply #52 on: 02 October 2021, 20:32:41 »
The fire star. It'll get me a replacement Uller and Dasher, as well as a Warhawk, Nova Cat and Cougar
Clan Goliath Scorpion
Delta Galaxy

Vedgy

• Recruit
« Reply #53 on: 03 October 2021, 08:41:25 »
So I've been thinking more about the way the full movement, full range version of the game played out. I think I agree with the DFA guys on reducing speeds and cutting range bands down to 3"/12"/21".

Playing on anything less than a 6' board means that a 24" medium range is where most of the fights are going to happen. The premium in points values paid on mechs with long range weapons is wasted. The 39pt Awesome 8Q can be dumped for the 40pt BLR-1G every time. Awesome is going to be doing equal or less damage (BLR gets OH as an option) and has less hit points.

If we limit the size of the boards to 4-5 feet, like yesterday's tables, we should still be able to knock out half-speed games without spending all day. The 12" medium range means that brawlers can still be relevant without becoming the only kind of model that matters. I also think it's a little ridiculous for a Hellion to cover the entire 5' board in 2 turns. Dasher will be even worse.

I'm probably a little sore from Executioner failing so hard, but it does make me kind of want to do variable damage rolls, too. The entire game swining on a ouple rolls from one model really feels bad.

Anyways, I did have fun, and look forward to being able to do it again.
Clan Goliath Scorpion
Delta Galaxy

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 03 October 2021, 09:38:07 »
I can totally understand that.  Especially since you fielded one clan star.  With the first game we had two lances each, and our heavies could only move four inches at a time—it seemed like it took 45 minutes for that first game to really get to the action. 

We should have measured the playing table:  maybe you all did during the second game after I left.  It seemed fairly large for the 2:1 DFA Wargaming conversion for movement.  We can start taking notes on table sizes and figure out which scale feels best to us.

IIRC, it seemed like the first game spent forever at long range, and we only got to a 12” medium range in the last two playing turns.

Sounds like your game may have been decided too fast?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 03 October 2021, 11:48:44 »
Yes I was thinking about Half versus RAW last night too. I think the two tables was too big, but the single table was going to be too small. Maybe I was wrong, especially with half movement. 

Yeah we were able to get and stay in medium range by turn 2 for some mechs, and the rest of the game was at medium after.

I think there will be an adjustment period while we get used to it. I think the DFA guys use a 4x4 play area. That combined with their objective play forces moving in.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 03 October 2021, 11:59:28 »
How aggressive were you guys playing too?  That can determine how long a game will take too.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 03 October 2021, 12:05:40 »
I’d say very aggressive on the first game.  Only 1/4 of our forces did any maneuvering, and they were the lights and mediums.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 04 October 2021, 11:35:44 »
It'd be cool to see pics if someone takes them...

Just a couple quick pics of the first match, which featured two Lances of Kerfuffin's Lyran Royal Guards vs. my two Lances of the 5th Sword of Light.

Vedgy brought some 2d terrain which we plopped down as hills, lakes and rough ground.  We also decided that since it was our first game, we'd do a 2:1 inch conversion on speeds and weapon ranges:  so Short was 3", Medium 12" and Long 21". 

Round 2 we have entered the map and battle lines are forming.  His main line is on his far right, his center is his Awesome and Archer which are about to take cover and fire from the water for a few rounds:

and also the two mechs on Kerfuffin's left flank, a Thud- 5SE and a Commando:

By Round 8, my mediums have flipped to be on his left, and one of his Commandos and his valiant Thud have finally fallen.  Other Mechs are starting to fall, including my Wolverine, Wasp, and his Marauder:

At I guess round 11 perhaps, we call the game.  We just count up armor and structure left, and estimate that the Sword of Light would eek out a pyrrhic victory if we continued:

At game end my Archer and Thud were both down to internals, my Awesome was down to half his armor, and my Warhammer and Shad were fresh.  I can't speak for Kerfuffin, but I had a blast with our first Alpha Strike game and look forward to the next.  I'm hoping we can find a game store with 3d terrain (or we should get some more 2d terrain!) and we'll continue to fiddle with playing 2-1 or 1-1 ranges when the table size dictates. 

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 04 October 2021, 14:25:58 »
Yeah I had a great time both games. Hopefully I’ll figure out my new work schedule here soon and we can have another go at it. Maybe move to Antioch or concord and use their 40K boards, until the Brentwood Location is able to finish their boards.

I should have paid a bit more attention to pictures but I have two from my game with Vedgy. I’ll see if I can’t find a way to link them in here. I’ve decided I’m going to cheat and just post discord links...

The first picture should be from turn two, Vedgys hellion and accompanying battle armor pushed up quick. It melted my Commando (no head) before falling to the rest of the short company. A few more turns at mid range saw a lot of overheating from the Scorpions, and a few more lost mechs on my side. The executioner whiffed his attack earlier forcing him to retreat into the forest to cool off. That would have been a big game changer, as my MAD would have been forced to check for a crit. I spread some damage around, that combined with the heat lead to a few scorpion mechs hiding in the trees. This let me take out the cauldron born with what was probably 4/5 mechs, along side the BA left to cause a distraction. Clan honor wouldn’t allow the Scorpions to back down, so they continued the fight. I was able to take out two of the three remaining mechs and possibly put a little damage on the Exe (I can’t remember). We called it there as I had half my force remaining in relatively good health, versus the lone Executioner. The second picture shows the aftermath.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/821964055384162310/894666360053956739/image0.jpg

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/821964055384162310/894666360397914222/image1.jpg

2 feet for medium range (RAW/24”) really helped out a lot for my relatively long range poor forces. I also learned from my mistake from the first game, I didn’t split up nearly as much, allowing myself to mitigate some average rolls through weight of fire.