Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen  (Read 217685 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Re: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen
« Reply #1080 on: 22 June 2018, 11:09:45 »
I keep hearing about the box sets, and would love to buy the starter set for my brother-in-law.

Without getting people angry *puts on tin foil hat* we don't have the street dates for these box sets yet, correct?

Cheers,

Mad

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #1081 on: 22 June 2018, 11:15:49 »
Correct
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1082 on: 22 June 2018, 11:16:05 »
The unofficial hope is GenCon to, if following past examples, hit your FLGS a month or three later- Christmas presents?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1083 on: 22 June 2018, 11:37:39 »
The unofficial hope is GenCon to, if following past examples, hit your FLGS a month or three later- Christmas presents?

Funny enough, that was my plan for his Xmas present. That way we can have drinks and fun before we put all the kids toys together for the big full family reveal on Xmas morning.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #1084 on: 22 June 2018, 12:39:38 »
Done.
i didn’t receive anything.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1085 on: 22 June 2018, 14:29:31 »
The good thing about plastic, is if you sell them unassembled with variant parts; you could make a shadow hawk 2K and 2h I’m the same blister, for example.

In most circumstances, it's more cost-efficient to make the plastics single-piece. But it's terrifyingly easy to modify plastics well. Much easier than doing significant mods on metals.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #1086 on: 22 June 2018, 15:12:01 »
In most circumstances, it's more cost-efficient to make the plastics single-piece. But it's terrifyingly easy to modify plastics well. Much easier than doing significant mods on metals.

And if ever one could be considered the voice of experience on modding Battletech miniatures, it's the elder statesman of Beemers here.  :bow:
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1087 on: 22 June 2018, 15:34:01 »
i didn’t receive anything.

Gah. And it isn't showing in my sent items. How bizarre. I'll resend.

Edit: Re-sent.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2018, 15:53:53 by ColBosch »
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1088 on: 22 June 2018, 18:54:18 »
From what I remember. The Plastic ones were being made in China and the production was substandard and shipping was a problem.
If they could get around that Plastic Minis would be nice.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1089 on: 22 June 2018, 19:15:46 »
Plastic minis are cool.  Multi-part plastic minis are really cool, because being able to make multiple different looking models without having to put paint on them or dismember them to tell them apart is great.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1090 on: 22 June 2018, 21:10:18 »
From what I remember. The Plastic ones were being made in China and the production was substandard and shipping was a problem.
If they could get around that Plastic Minis would be nice.

Huh?
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1091 on: 23 June 2018, 02:53:10 »
Plastic minis are cool.  Multi-part plastic minis are really cool, because being able to make multiple different looking models without having to put paint on them or dismember them to tell them apart is great.
Lately I have been running into time issues with assembling miniatures, getting good looking one-piece minis would be greatly appreciated.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1092 on: 23 June 2018, 03:10:57 »
They should now release a redone 3025 book with the Nuseen in it. All of them. 
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1093 on: 23 June 2018, 20:22:06 »
Lately I have been running into time issues with assembling miniatures, getting good looking one-piece minis would be greatly appreciated.

There are advantages to both; single pose/piece figures are good for old grognards like you and me, but appealing to newer gamers with swanky multi piece minis is important too.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #1094 on: 23 June 2018, 20:40:16 »
There are advantages to both; single pose/piece figures are good for old grognards like you and me, but appealing to newer gamers with swanky multi piece minis is important too.

???

I've seen a lot of new gamers/modelers/painters who want to get a piece on the table without the need for assembly. Good sculpts and casting quality makes a big difference, but I'd be surprised if multi-part was a draw for a big audience.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1095 on: 23 June 2018, 20:46:36 »
Being able to tell apart minis without having to hack them apart or paint them also helps.  As much as I'd love to justify buying more Lance Packs, it's significantly more labor intensive to cut them apart to actually look interesting than it is to just buy metal/multi-part in the first place.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #1096 on: 23 June 2018, 21:41:21 »
And then there are my kids, who think the best minis are the clicky-tech ones that are pre-painted, posable, and bigger. They like my metal minis but there is no way I am giving any to the kiddos yet. The number of times I’ve had to glue my sons clicky-tech Neanderthal back together is approaching double digits, and my daughter actually managed to break one of the one-piece minis from a lance pack! She snapped a flea’s body clean off both its legs.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that there is probably demand for both simple and durable minis, as well as detailed, multi-part jobs. Just depends on the audience. It probably isn’t a bad thing to have some of each, if the market will support it.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1097 on: 23 June 2018, 22:46:02 »
It's not just kids who prefer big, good-looking, prepainted miniatures. I love assembling and painting my little robots and tanks, but my ability to do so is rapidly diminishing.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1098 on: 23 June 2018, 23:10:30 »
They should now release a redone 3025 book with the Nuseen in it. All of them. 

You do realize that was a intended goal of TRO:SW, right?
But because of the HG trolling, the MAcross-inspired Classics got pulled from that. Hence my hopes for a TRO: SW Revised that can include all of the Unseen/Reseen in the Classic style.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1099 on: 23 June 2018, 23:27:31 »
My money will be there!

You do realize that was a intended goal of TRO:SW, right?
But because of the HG trolling, the MAcross-inspired Classics got pulled from that. Hence my hopes for a TRO: SW Revised that can include all of the Unseen/Reseen in the Classic style.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #1100 on: 24 June 2018, 04:20:10 »
If I remember correctly, the "intended goal" for XTRO:SW was to amuse Herb (for his birthday iirc), as an in-joke among the writers. Only Herb liked it enough to solicit a proper XTRO from the joke.

But 3025 has now seen a surge in attention, both to cater to the HBS computer game crowd and as a venue for new players through the new boxes. So maybe there's more new 3025 era product on the horizon?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1101 on: 24 June 2018, 06:47:06 »
If I remember correctly, the "intended goal" for XTRO:SW was to amuse Herb (for his birthday iirc), as an in-joke among the writers. Only Herb liked it enough to solicit a proper XTRO from the joke.

But 3025 has now seen a surge in attention, both to cater to the HBS computer game crowd and as a venue for new players through the new boxes. So maybe there's more new 3025 era product on the horizon?

They're talking about Technical Readout: Succession Wars, not any of the Experimental TROs.

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1102 on: 24 June 2018, 07:05:44 »
1) Sorry, shirts are typically sold only at the conventions. If that has changed, I haven't heard about it. However, that doesn't mean you couldn't convince a kind-hearted fan going to GenCon to pick one or two up for you and ship them over.

Damnit! Why won't Catalyst please sell these t-shirts online and take my money?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1103 on: 24 June 2018, 07:20:18 »
I'm sick of the Cons-exlusive product BS. At least IWM's swtuff eventually makes it to their online store.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #1104 on: 24 June 2018, 09:36:03 »
One-piece run into the problem of being VERY limited in pose and detail. Technology has definitely progressed so that detail is much better than the 3rd edition plastics, but the issues are still there. Different plastic will hold detail better but I haven't seen anyone get around negative spaces. ANYTHING with deep (front to back) torsos like half the original Clan omnis (Mad Cat, Masakari, Daishi, etc.) will not come out well at all. Could be the reason we didn't see Clan star packs. That is a whole lot of the most popular 'Mechs. It's likely that, aside from the Reseen Tbolt, those are the ones most complained about multi-piece minis.

They did experiment with the Mad Cat and Thor plastics, and they were very well done. They were not one-piece, though. If you bought a pair, one came preassembled and one did not. That means they have to pay someone to preassemble. People like the plastics because they are cheaper than metal. Preassembly is going to negate this.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #1105 on: 24 June 2018, 09:52:26 »
Ral Partha/IWM has had a lot of good one-piece minis through the years whether BattleTech or their fantasy line. But on top of what everyone else has said, just think about cleaning up mold lines. Geeze, that gets nearly impossible with some minis.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1106 on: 24 June 2018, 10:05:07 »
There has been a move back toward easier assemblies. The Dasher II and gunslinger mongoose from this quarter are 5 and 4 pieces respectively. Super complicated builds like the Atlas III and nightmare inducing elements like the Tiburon’s feet are smaller in number now

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1107 on: 24 June 2018, 12:26:03 »
One-piece run into the problem of being VERY limited in pose and detail. Technology has definitely progressed so that detail is much better than the 3rd edition plastics, but the issues are still there. Different plastic will hold detail better but I haven't seen anyone get around negative spaces. ANYTHING with deep (front to back) torsos like half the original Clan omnis (Mad Cat, Masakari, Daishi, etc.) will not come out well at all. Could be the reason we didn't see Clan star packs. That is a whole lot of the most popular 'Mechs. It's likely that, aside from the Reseen Tbolt, those are the ones most complained about multi-piece minis.

They did experiment with the Mad Cat and Thor plastics, and they were very well done. They were not one-piece, though. If you bought a pair, one came preassembled and one did not. That means they have to pay someone to preassemble. People like the plastics because they are cheaper than metal. Preassembly is going to negate this.

Catapult is in both the last set of plastics and the current ones.  Stalker is a bigger wad of 'deep' plastic.  Raven, a bit narrower than the Catapult, Dragon has a beak on it . . .

As far as saying the last release of plastics had limited poses?  Obviously did not read worktroll's posts about projects.  He inspired me, and my skills suck, to try it out . . . and its pretty easy following his steps.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2018, 12:33:43 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1108 on: 24 June 2018, 12:28:24 »
Here's the deal: experienced modelers have the skills to modify static poses. Inexperienced players will not bother putting together complicated models. The less assembly, the better.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1109 on: 24 June 2018, 12:37:01 »
Here's the deal: experienced modelers have the skills to modify static poses. Inexperienced players will not bother putting together complicated models. The less assembly, the better.

I think that is a good take.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.