Author Topic: Dropship Ideas  (Read 1223 times)

Erik Pryde

• Recruit
Dropship Ideas
« on: 22 February 2020, 10:24:35 »
So I have an alpha strike game coming up, and it has no less than 3 union dropships in it.  Ideas for cheap and easy to make/use to represent them?
"We are Jade Falcon, great among the Clans. We are warriors who fight with the strength of the falcon's claw and ascend to the heavens on the wings of the same. We remember with the clarity of falcon-sight the words of Kerensky. Through the smoke of time he speaks to us, his chosen, and urges us onward with the promise of Eden. We will retake what is ours by right, that shining jewel Terra. Not the vastness of space nor the Wolf’s obstinate howl will stay us from our righteous goal. We are Crusaders and will trample all who stand in our way!

Greywind

• Lieutenant
Re: Dropship Ideas
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2020, 10:51:20 »
Styrofoam balls.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2020, 10:56:21 »
Styrofoam balls.
Short of already having the ability to 3D print, this is probably the cheapest method. Your artistic ability and available time to spend on the project determines whether they look passable or incredible.  ;)

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2020, 21:00:30 »
I want to yell LEGOS ... but they may not be that feasible. hmmm now going on a google search for battletech lego dropships!

looked, lots of very cool sets.

But also some old ones if you can find them: They had a bunch of lego star wars planets with mini-figs ... I've got Yavin 4, might be a good size.

'course the Styrofoam might come cheaper, and easier to get to if there is a craft store near you.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2020, 21:10:04 by Wolf72 »
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2020, 12:48:13 »
Depends on the scale you are looking for . . . I know people have used giant Easter eggs (you will have to search in this forum for the last poster who did it) and hamster balls work well if you want to spend that money & time.  I have the largest one to make a Overlord, but its not map scale.  I also picked up a really large outdoor Christmas ornament, its a pretty good sized sphere.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2020, 15:00:59 »
I used a 13" hamster ball with 3D printed landing gear and various odds and ends. I think the ball cost between 20-30$ if memory serves.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2020, 15:03:05 »
Nice thing is they have a pretty rigid shell so they resist damage . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Charlemagne

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor is Bulletproof
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2020, 20:53:37 »
If you live in Canada, go to Dollarama. They have both styrofoam balls and hollow plastic eggs, in multiple sizes.
Honor is Bulletproof