Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles version M4 - are we going with that? Sure, man.  (Read 196842 times)

dgorsman

• Captain
Am I the only one getting a strong Skynet HK vibe from that picture?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Charlie 6

• Captain
Ah the Ontos

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
Bore-sighting that thing must have been interesting.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Bore-sighting that thing must have been interesting.
Nah, what they did was boar-sighting instead.  Find a wild pig, cap off a few rounds till you hit it, then you know where you're aiming.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Dave Talley

• Major
the barrels had coax single shot 50s for sighting
so you could boar siting and still be able to BBq the rest
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Firing the 50 cal tracer into an enemy bunker was often sufficient to de-ass it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Dave Talley

• Major
if nothing else pop a tracer or two in, wait 15 seconds and pop the flechette round as they run
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Nah, what they did was boar-sighting instead.  Find a wild pig, cap off a few rounds till you hit it, then you know where you're aiming.
Can it deal with 30 to 50 hogs in few minutes?

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
With flechette rounds it can do that in single salvo.
Shoot first, laugh later.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Can it deal with 30 to 50 hogs in few minutes?

I've always understood the "hog" is a nickname for the M60 - I think you might need to reload a belt or two of 7.62mm ball ammunition to kill 30-50 hogs but hopefully wouldn't need a barrel change. Anyway, I thought the US used the FN MAG/M240 for vehicle mounted MGs....
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Sharpnel

• Colonel

I've always understood the "hog" is a nickname for the M60 - I think you might need to reload a belt or two of 7.62mm ball ammunition to kill 30-50 hogs but hopefully wouldn't need a barrel change. Anyway, I thought the US used the FN MAG/M240 for vehicle mounted MGs....
They do now. A dozen years ago, not so much
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Dave Talley

• Major

yeah
popping a actual boar, if the spotting rifle is used, plenty of pig,
flechette round used, you can probably get enough pork to make a couple tacos
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
But at least it will be pre-shredded.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Dave Talley

• Major
But at least it will be pre-shredded.

yep, run a few magnets over it to find bits of flechette and then cook it
:-) 
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

Kidd

• Major
Picking buckshot out of it is the only downside to fresh wild boar claypot curry.

CDAT

• Master Sergeant

They do now. A dozen years ago, not so much

I can not say for sure when they switched to the M240, but the M60 MG has never been used as a tank MG (I am sure there are some exceptions). The M47 Patton used the .30-06 M1919A4, the M48, M60, and M51 used the 7.62x51 M73 before being updated to the M240, and the M1 from day one used the 7.62x51 M240.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
I can not say for sure when they switched to the M240, but the M60 MG has never been used as a tank MG (I am sure there are some exceptions). The M47 Patton used the .30-06 M1919A4, the M48, M60, and M51 used the 7.62x51 M73 before being updated to the M240, and the M1 from day one used the 7.62x51 M240.

M37 on the M47 and also the M48 early on.

M213 replacing the M73 as time went on and still failing to be a viable weapon.

The M1 had the Hughes chaingun as a coax and the M240 as the loader's gun (loader?)
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
M37 on the M47 and also the M48 early on.

M213 replacing the M73 as time went on and still failing to be a viable weapon.

The M1 had the Hughes chaingun as a coax and the M240 as the loader's gun (loader?)

The prototype XM1's had the chaingun but it was switched to the M240 early on, well before type standardization and production. Now if you ask me that was a mistake to switch as with only 55 rounds on the M1/IPM1, or 40 (later updated to 42) on the M1A1 and up there is not enough ammo to be using main gun rounds on MICV's. If you had the 25mm as a coax you would be using it and saving main gun rounds for major targets. But alas they did not ask me.

kato

• Captain
I can not say for sure when they switched to the M240, but the M60 MG has never been used as a tank MG (I am sure there are some exceptions).
The USMC used the M60E2 machine gun as coaxials on their M60A1 tanks from the 60s until replacing it with the M240 in 1994 when the M1A1 started introduction with them. They didn't like the M219.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
back to pictures of tanks...

below are a series of photos taken from the Haynes Owners' Workshop Manual for the Chieftain MBT, I hope the photos work and aren't too big or small as this is a bit of an experiment in resizing etc

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
one more, not really a Chieftain but a JagdChieftain!

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
The prototype XM1's had the chaingun but it was switched to the M240 early on, well before type standardization and production. Now if you ask me that was a mistake to switch as with only 55 rounds on the M1/IPM1, or 40 (later updated to 42) on the M1A1 and up there is not enough ammo to be using main gun rounds on MICV's. If you had the 25mm as a coax you would be using it and saving main gun rounds for major targets. But alas they did not ask me.

Um. No no no.

*THIS* Chain gun; 7.62N Neat weapon; forward ejecting in some versions.

https://modernfirearms.net/en/machineguns/u-s-a-machineguns/ex-34-chain-gun-eng/

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
If you had the 25mm as a coax you would be using it and saving main gun rounds for major targets. But alas they did not ask me.
One thing I like a lot about the AMX-30 is that 20mm secondary, especially since it's aligned coax but in its own elevation mount that can go all the way to +40.  Beats exposing your TC and only having a .50 for defense against helicopters.  It can also work over light armor that would stop a typical .30 coax mount and let you save your 105mm ammo for the heavy stuff.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
The Centurion had a 20mm Polsen cannon as a co-axial in the earliest versions and it was promptly dropped.

The realisation was, as with the pre-dreadnought, that an interim secondary armament is a distraction - as a tank you are there to kill other tanks, offer direct fire artillery support (HE rounds from main gun) and suppressive machine-gun fire.

I would expect the opportunity to take the time to realise that you have an IFV or lighter armoured vehicle in your sights, swap over to your secondary armament and engage is a luxury you don't have - either it is a threat, kill it fast (the priority is time to an accurate first round for a kill/your own survival), or it is not a threat, move to next target.

I'm sure I read about the use of training rounds in Iraq to achieve less lethal over-kill, subcalibre training rounds for "sniping" with something more like a .50 cal down the main barrel or training (inert) HESH to knock down walls without bang. In other words, if you have the safety of knowing you don't need to carry ammunition to take on peer threats, you can take your time and make do.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Well, the problem is if your magazine capacity is so small you can't afforf to shoot the APC because there might be MBTs around...

40 rounds doesn't sound that bad, but some of the proposals with 140+ mm guns and 20-30 rounds might really have needed a backup.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Wasn't the 20mm on the Centurion also basically used as a ranging gun as well for the main armament?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Kidd

• Major
Yeah well... these days you need something like a 30mm to reliably bust the IFV and you have to respect the ATGMs they're carrying

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
Wasn't the 20mm on the Centurion also basically used as a ranging gun as well for the main armament?

Not the polsten, but the later .50 RMG (Ranging Machinegun) was specifically installed for that reason and was *not* treated as a coax according to Centurion tankers I've spoken to, but was reserved as a special weapon, not just for ranging, but for engaging targets the 20pdr/105 wasn't suited for, in preference to the normal .30 coax.

A.E. Housman

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
Re: arming tanks with smaller caliber automatic cannons.

Keep in mind that at least in the US your M1s are going to be operating alongside M2s/M3s that have that 25mm cannon. So in a defensive orientation, you'll have the Brads to hose down the IFVs/APCs while the M1s dedicate to killing tanks. So arming them with a 25mm coaxial just means another weapon system to support, possibly reducing the number of main rounds you carry, & creating a situation where the 25mm is overpowered for anti-infantry/suppressive roles. Let the Brads handle the light armor.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Not the polsten, but the later .50 RMG (Ranging Machinegun) was specifically installed for that reason and was *not* treated as a coax according to Centurion tankers I've spoken to, but was reserved as a special weapon, not just for ranging, but for engaging targets the 20pdr/105 wasn't suited for, in preference to the normal .30 coax.

Ahh yes! Thank you I forgot about that :) I guess at the time it was designed the 20mm on the Centurion made sense as as you could run across half tracks and other light vehicles and the 20mm's perfect for shooting those up without having to use the 17/20lb'er.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Register