Author Topic: Clan Wolf Vs 2nd Robinson Rangers  (Read 4054 times)

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
Clan Wolf Vs 2nd Robinson Rangers
« on: 05 May 2011, 17:15:22 »
So we had a good night last Wednesday. Not only did we welcome a new body to the group.
Is over in Dublin for a few weeks. And we welcomed him to the table. The last few weeks we've been struggling to get the group in gear. But tonight we had about 90% Turnout. But we had decided on a small game. So everybody had one mech each.

On the Wolf
Linebacker Prime 4/5
Vulture C 4/5 GREEN
Vulture C 4/5 METAL
Vulture C 4/5 MAD CAT
Hunchback IIC 4/5
The rangers had
Pheonix Hawk PXH-6D 2/4
Komodo KIM-3C 3/3
Javelin JVN-11D 4/4
Warhammer WHM-8D 3/5
Helios HEL-C  3/5

The first two turns consist of both sides closing upon each other.
The Rangers score a few hits on the clanners.

Turn 3

The Komodo attempts to keep itself out of danger. The Wolves close the gap again. And it pays off with two lucky strikes on The Phoenix Hawk. Two Gauss slugs are scary. Using the Javelin targeting info the Heavies smack the Linebacker.

Turn4

The Rangers heavies fall back. And focus on the Linebacker again. The Javelin misses with its kick. It was contemplation a Push
But the leg seemed too good a chance to overlook.
The Vultures focus on the Warhammer and a few slugs land home.

Turn 5

The Linebacker falls back in an attempt to back up the Green Vulture who was getting mugged by two of the Rangers.
The Warhammers arm is opened up. The Hunchback makes an appearance.

Turn 6

The Hunchback knocks down the Helios.
The Green Vulture continues to loose Armor to the two harrashing units.
The Pheonix Hawk manages to kick the leg off  the Linebacker.The Helios finally hits with its Gauss Rifle.
Javelin takes a slug to the leg and loses a jumpjet.

Turn 7

The Hunchback misses the Helios who remained still. And things looked good for visitor Bakga.
Till the Linebacker props itself up and the lrms crit the ct for 3 engine hits.
In return the Hunchback looses an arm and a whole lot of ammo. As well as a leg hit causing it to fall over.
Stripping of the green Vulture continues  but to no real damaging effect.
The Warhammer looses its right arm.

Turn 8

Tactical retreat time. Green Vulture falls back as do The Warhammer and Phawk. Long Range fire continues with the TW Vulture refusing to leave its sniper hole. While the arm on the Linebacker gets removed.
An unfortunate round for the little guys as they get a gauss each.

Turn 9

Refusing to eject the Linebacker attempts to stand. And Fails. The Warhammer attempts to make it to long range so the TW Vulture will stop shooting it.
The little Javelin that could started on a new Vulture.

Turn 10
What happens next was not approved by command.

This turn of events miffed me. The Hunchback had shots on 9's. I wasn't happy with that at all.

The Phawk instead kills the Hunchback. While the Komodo opens a torso on the TWVulture.

Turn 11

Things are a little tense for the clans. The Smaller Skrimishers are making a mockery of them. And The hurt is starting to show big time.
They get a tough shot in on the Komodo taking one of its legs clean off.
But in return the Green Vulture Looses a side. And is left with a small supply of Gauss ammo.
The TWVulture gets 3 engine hits Via the open torso. Ending its reign of terror.
This is where the game ended.

The remaining Vulture was mostly undamaged. But was down to less than half ammo for its guns and fearful of the damage the remaining Rangers might do to it.
The game went to the Rangers. But Lessons where learned on both sides.
Andrews knows that spending some BV on gunners isn't a bad thing.
I learned not to unappreciative of the Phawk.
The Javelin is definitely mech of the match. Little guy punched well above his weight this game.

Dahtac

• Private
Re: Clan Wolf Vs 2nd Robinson Rangers
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2011, 17:27:03 »
90% turnout? Who was missing then?

Fun match although very painful for the clan side...I have an eternal hatred for the Vulture C now...

Arquinsiel

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2011, 17:38:19 »
Ted and technically myself.

What the hell Andrew, what the hell? Gunners dammit, and never rush with sniper mechs on an open-terrain map... srsly....

Dahtac

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2011, 17:42:06 »
I'll give you the point on gunners as I said it myself repeatedly all night.

The point about rushing though...we had to, not moving and at long range we were hitting on 11...even with our range advantage when they closed in to our medium we would have been creamed unless we moved, at which point to-hit numbers would have rocketed back up to 11...it sucked but it really all did come down to the gunners

Arquinsiel

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2011, 17:50:54 »
You needing 11s is always better than them auto-missing. There were also far too many sniper mechs on the Wolf side.

Dahtac

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2011, 17:56:26 »
Thing is they would have closed on use, range wouldn't have mattered to them with c3 and the better gunners once they did. I was hoping to get off a few early shots on 9s, not too much to expect I would think.

A few nice mediums with med lasers would have been a nice complement to what we had though. I'll be fielding a very different unit to Andrew's next week, a medium trinary from my Viper force. Hopefully we can teach him some love of med lasers (and *cough* heavy machine gun arrays :) )

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2011, 01:52:35 »
I love how much fear the one Gauss and 2 PPC we had caused to the other side.
You guys could have totally sniped our own snipers.

If you hate the Vulture C I'd stay away from the base Galahad as well then.

Dahtac

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2011, 01:59:39 »
An inner sphere ppc that can hit is more dangerous than a caln ppc that can never hit...especially which you have no crit soakage anywhere :(

Funnily enough the thoughts of using that had never crossed my mind :)

Brandydog

• Sergeant
    • Battletech Minis
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2011, 09:35:29 »
The Wolves had 4/5 pilots?? Looks like they been putting in 13 year olds from sibkos into mechs for battle experience  :D

Not the vastness of space, nor the Wolf's obstinate howl, will stay us from our righteous goal.
We are Crusaders and will trample all who stand in our way!

Dahtac

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2011, 09:40:24 »
13 year olds would have been better :(

Brandydog

• Sergeant
    • Battletech Minis
« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2011, 10:00:10 »
hehe just that when i think of Wolf pilots, straight away i start thinking elite 1/2 and 2/3 pilots ... *groans at the pain of refusal war*

looked like a fun game, and a most impressive clan Gauss arsenal for the wolf forces.. The Hunchback IIc was an interesting choice, a real gamble that can really pay off spectacularly.... or end in jammed weapons, tears, and gnashing of teeth  ;D

A Mad Dog Prime configuration may have been more useful with its pulse weapons

Not the vastness of space, nor the Wolf's obstinate howl, will stay us from our righteous goal.
We are Crusaders and will trample all who stand in our way!

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2011, 13:58:43 »
I ran the Komodo and Javelin in this game and I'm so annoyed I didn't get to finish off that camo vulture!  I do agree that the clan side would have been better off with lighter or fewer mechs and some 3/4 pilots though.  Still, it was balanced by BV (and C3 drove the BV for the Davion side up) and the clan players had some awful luck - the number of shots that missed my mechs on 8s and 9s was amazing.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2011, 15:23:03 »
I ran the Komodo and Javelin in this game and I'm so annoyed I didn't get to finish off that camo vulture! 
You would have had it next turn. The Javelin was all up in its face.
Then then it would have been the last Vulture vs the 3 still mobile Rangers.

Dahtac

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2011, 15:29:01 »
Definitely. That vulture with the camo was internal in almost all locations, and given no soakage in the torsos and the gauss rifles in the arms...

Register