Author Topic: Dropship Issues in MegaMek  (Read 6955 times)

VG2

• Recruit
Dropship Issues in MegaMek
« on: 27 January 2011, 21:23:24 »
Having some issues with Dropships on the ground terrain map.  There does not appear to be a way to land / liftoff once you get Dropship to altitude 1.....

So I just applied zero thrust and let the Dropship crash ....... then once grounded the dropship became a huge armored pillbox and I was able to fire at airborne fighters and mech's however after rolling a succesful hit no damage was displayed for the target.

I even played this out in a separate battle just to verify... a grounded dropship can hit a target but no damage is recorded for that target.

Currently running MegaMek version megamek-0.35.20

Any help would be appreciated

VG2

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
Re: Dropship Issues in MegaMek
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2011, 22:22:29 »
I'm pretty sure they fixed most of those problems in the latest Development Snapshot 35.21

I've been using it for the last couple of weeks and the improvements with the dropships are pretty cool.

MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
  • Look out, there is a monkey on your back!
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2011, 23:24:08 »
Currently running MegaMek version megamek-0.35.20

Thats your problem. As Hammer said, most of those issues are fixed in 35.21. There is a bug with aero droppers taking off, but other than you should be good.
MegaMek Dev and Bug Creator

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Make your own campaign website with the MekHQ Blog

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
  • Your flank belongs to the Star League
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2011, 17:34:39 »
I had some issues myself when I did a quick training drop a while back with 35.21.

Had a modified Broadsword, with two mechbays replaced with three tank bays, with the doors split between the same as the canon one. It would only drop two of the three 'mechs at once (TechManual says each door should be able to drop two, don't know if StratOps changed that); and the tanks wouldn't drop at all. After swinging around to try to deploy the tanks after landing, I couldn't find any button to land the thing, and letting it stall out caused a crash.

Don't know how much of that was bugs, features, or broken files, though I should probably drop the crash log on sourceforge.

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2011, 17:42:41 »
I had some issues myself when I did a quick training drop a while back with 35.21.

Had a modified Broadsword, with two mechbays replaced with three tank bays, with the doors split between the same as the canon one. It would only drop two of the three 'mechs at once (TechManual says each door should be able to drop two, don't know if StratOps changed that); and the tanks wouldn't drop at all. After swinging around to try to deploy the tanks after landing, I couldn't find any button to land the thing, and letting it stall out caused a crash.

Don't know how much of that was bugs, features, or broken files, though I should probably drop the crash log on sourceforge.

Thats interesting that TechManual says two. StratOps says very clearly one unit per door per turn.  And you can't drop tanks (at least without a dropchute which is not implemented in MM yet).

As for landing, in order to land an aerodyne dropship, you need to have flat terrain fifteen hexes long and three hexes wide in front of the dropper. Some types of terrain on that "landing strip" will also prohibit landing. If that isn't the case, then the landing button will be disabled and probably not visible.

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
  • Your flank belongs to the Star League
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2011, 16:33:39 »
No dropchutes yet? Darn. :( I want my battalion-level combined-arms hot drops!

Ran another mini-game to try to get landing to work. Got the dropships on the ground, but still ran into issues.

First, the dropship looks like it must be Ghost Bear  :D
Second, the Leopard refused to lift off, claiming 'ground units in the way', even though it had a good 38 hexes of clear and road hexes in front of it.
Third, something crashed the client in the fire phase, possibly related to the spheroid taking off.

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2011, 18:24:53 »
First, the dropship looks like it must be Ghost Bear  :D

Yeah, we need to deal with that one. its rotating secondary positions incorrectly.

Second, the Leopard refused to lift off, claiming 'ground units in the way', even though it had a good 38 hexes of clear and road hexes in front of it.

Yeah that is a known bug that is fixed for the next release. Until then aero droppers can't take off. The ground unit in the way is itself, btw.

Third, something crashed the client in the fire phase, possibly related to the spheroid taking off.

Please report the bug if you still have the log file.