Author Topic: Battletech conquers Fortnite  (Read 1578 times)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Battletech conquers Fortnite
« on: 06 August 2019, 15:40:07 »
The creators of Fortnite introduced battlemechs and the infantry players are complaining that they are wiping the board.  https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/06/brute-mech-fortnite-rage/

I could've told them that 35 years ago. ;D

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
Re: Battletech conquers Fortnite
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2019, 10:13:03 »
I don't like Fortnite (or any battle royals for that mater) but I found hilarious the whole thing. More funnier (for me) is that players are complaining expecting that Epic nerfs Mechs but they didnt do anything (yet). Seems players forget to think that the devs did it intentionally so they can sell anti mech weapons in the future (microtransaction maybe?).
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2019, 10:17:24 »
considering fortnite pulled a b-b-b-b-b-billion dollars just from the Apple apps store in 2018 alone, yes, there will be microtransations

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2019, 11:06:08 »
I really detest games that introduce OP paid content that can only be effectively countered by other paid content.  Pay-to-win is just a bad formula for fun.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2019, 13:51:37 »
I really detest games that introduce OP paid content that can only be effectively countered by other paid content.  Pay-to-win is just a bad formula for fun.

However an excellent formula for companies to empty parents bank accounts, run up credit card charges, and exploit the pleasure centers of the brain.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2019, 16:04:01 »

But it's a GREAT way to make a billion dollars, launch your own game store, and bribe people in to exclusive launch windows

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2019, 16:14:33 »
And it's very cheap to do. All of which insure its popularity.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2019, 18:01:09 »
I don't play, but game play certainly looks bit broken if your infantry.  Mech combat looks interesting though.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 08 August 2019, 13:58:36 »
After the son (who was 11 years old at the time) of my closest friend spent €150 on microtransactions in Fortnite through Playstore (without realizing - he thought he was spending ingame currency) I'm following (through both youtubers and reading gaming sites) this all microtransactions mess with great interest and the most obvious conclusion is that the gaming industry is reaping the benefits because a) law (in most countries) doesn't cover this kind of business and b) lack of information/gullibility of people specially when stuff bought is chance based.

Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Register