Author Topic: New materials from the workshop- the pipe  (Read 2147 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
New materials from the workshop- the pipe
« on: 15 May 2018, 13:34:10 »
Where I work now we produce some custom items in house so all sorts of interesting shipping material arrives . . . and so does 3 foot reinforced cardboard tubes used for rolls of steel mesh.  Its all getting thrown away unless I grab it so . . . I now have a 3 foot roll that is 4 inches or so in diameter, which makes it 4 levels wide IIRC.

This of course screams pipeline segment . . . which means that once I get it based & painted it will be a terrain piece that will stretch from one side of the hotmatz to the next on the narrow portion.

But what else to put with it?

I am thinking of building a pumphouse/monitoring station (3x4 hexes?) which would go up and on top of the pump, look industrial and 'control' the flow.  I would set up a 'mech path' across the pipeline with elevators on each side to allow maintenance equipment to move from one side to the other.  I also think a airlock or something like that to allow access into the pipeline when its not operational for inspection.  I also want a smaller pipe option where I can connect another smaller pipe (1 level, maybe 2 tall) so I could use the pumphouse as a t-junction.  I think one edge of the pumphouse should also be flat where I could take a second section later to put it against the pumphouse to make a full sized t-junction of the two tubes of the same size.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Re: New materials from the workshop- the pipe
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2018, 15:50:36 »
Whipped up this idea for a silo elevator real fast:
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2018, 16:00:47 »
interesting to do that as a garage but I am just going to lay the tube length-wise
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2018, 16:43:07 »
'eh; You've got plenty of tube =)
Use some strips of cardboard or styrene for an easy shell:
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2018, 16:45:26 »
hm, maybe I was not clear . . . yeah, I can do the half-circle hanger.  But for this first tube I am going to go simple and make it a pipeline.  My question is what details should be included than what I listed- or add to the details.
Colt Ward

righteous

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2018, 08:41:56 »
Miniature fuel tanks are easily made from the old CD spindle cases or similar containers.  I don't have any pictures handy right now, but they work well.  Use bendy straws for short lengths of pipe, and gutter mesh for 6mm man sized ladders or grate details. If you have some old sprues those work for little details - I also like wheels as little fan units.  Pretty quick and easy to make something that looks decent. 

Here's some online found with a quick search.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/10696117837637830/

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2018, 12:42:20 »
Still different than what I think you're exactly looking for, but here's an actual structure that you can draw from... I'd upload an image, but can't resize it small enough to be attached right now.

Use a mapping street-view to look around.
near 2734-2526 Midland Dr, Ogden, UT 84401

https://goo.gl/maps/EFyJxwgsgGL2
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Register