Author Topic: (Answered) Patchwork Armor, Damage Transfer, and Penetrating Critical Hits  (Read 1974 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Decided that this probably needs it's own thread despite being related to other questions I have pending.

Page 122-124 and 206-207 of Total Warfare.

377 of Tactical Operations.

Two scenarios here involving IndustrialMechs and damage transfer.

If a patchwork location mounting Commercial(BAR 5) by some combination of previous combat damage still has armor but takes damage that results in a successful Penetrating Critical Hit being generated but it being transferred to a location protected by one of the various BAR 10 options available to an IndustrialMech which normally renders an IndustrialMech immune to Penetrating Critical Hits does it still transfer?

Reversing this and let's say it's a BAR 10 location that is hit and destroyed but 6 damage transfers to the BAR 5 protected location.  Am I correct in interpreting that this causes a roll to check for Penetrating Critical Hits despite the attack initially hitting a BAR 10 protected location, again noting this would normally render an Industrial Mech immune to such a check?
« Last Edit: 30 October 2020, 20:16:50 by Xotl »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Okay based off more errata that triggered an answer but for some reason the corrected sixth printing pdf didn't to my first question appears to be yes the critical would transfer normally.

The second question is not as clear cut(I'd say 90% clear) but again it would seem yes you would check for a new penetrating critical hit like you would if it transferred to internal structure directly.

-edited to clear out some sanity challenged caused errors on my part-
« Last Edit: 27 May 2020, 13:54:04 by monbvol »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Another incident of getting an answer to another question providing some clarification as I bump.

This clarification is a bit odd but what ever.  Pending errata is actually going to result in the answer to my first question actually being no even though it doesn't make a lot of sense to me as the damage has already gotten past the armor protection making it weird that armor would stop a critical transfer if it still exists in the next section on the transfer chart.

Second question is still looking to be yes though despite that as the raw damage being transferred is still greater than the BAR of the armor in the next section but again this is not 100% clear.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re-reading things and I amy just have to see the final version of the pending errata to see how it actually effects my first question.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Okay so it seems the errata says no new critical checks are made if armor exists but since my first question is about transfer of an existing critical it would still seem to transfer normally.  About 90% sure this is the case.

Second question may not be so clear cut since Penetrating Critical Hits may mess with that.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Can you please edit your first post to ask what you currently want answered?  It's much easier to follow than a series of updates, themselves referencing other posts / rulings.  As long as the post hasn't yet been marked with (Research), we haven't gotten to it yet and so there's no risk of confusing something in progress through your edits.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Simple versions of my questions.

Do critical hits transfer normally on a unit using patchwork armor when going from lower to higher BAR?

If sufficient damage transfers from a location that was protected by a higher BAR to a lower does it cause a new check as per Penetrating Critical rules?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Late bump.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Do critical hits transfer normally on a unit using patchwork armor when going from lower to higher BAR?

A. Yes.  The amount of crits in, say, a side torso is factored normally, then transfers to the CT if there were no critable objects in that side torso at the start of the phase.  That effect is agnostic of what the nature of the armor on the CT is: it's irrelevant.

If sufficient damage transfers from a location that was protected by a higher BAR to a lower does it cause a new check as per Penetrating Critical rules?

Damage transferring from one location to another is a new event for purposes of determining crits.  The BAR of the prior location is irrelevant.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Pretty much what I figured for 1.

The answer to 2 is a little unclear to me still but it occurs to me I might have still phrased what I was asking poorly.  Trying again if 6 damage transferred to a location with BAR 5 rated armor would it cause a Penetrating Critical check?

As always much appreciated.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Yeah, that's not the read we took.

The BAR 5 armor is vulnerable to a penetration roll from the 6 transferred damage.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Appreciated as always xotl.

Register