Author Topic: What do you choose?  (Read 8214 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
What do you choose?
« on: 05 June 2019, 14:46:51 »
Congratulations to the heir to Count Duffy, you have come of age.  Your application to the AFFC has been accepted and you will perform your family's duty to your liege, Hanse Davion, by taking one of the family mechs and serving in the Deneb Light Cavalry as your family has since the fall of the Star League.  Its the unit your father died in during the War of 3039.  Count Duffy, your grandfather has decided you will get to pick which mech from the family's second lance of the County Wardens you will take into service.  You have trained on all the mechs under the instruction of your father and later your grandfather's senior armsman.  None of the mechs will be candidates for any upgrade packages from the AFFC unless indicated.  So which mech will you select?

Victor 9B-  Salvage your grandfather claimed when fighting against the Capellans that was part of his transfer into the Davion Heavy Guards after the 4th Succession War, one of the few times your family was not in the DLC brigade.  If the Victor is chosen, Count Duffy already has a promise from your future regimental commander that it will be re-armored with Ferro-Fibrous armor provided by the AFFC.

Archer 2R-  The Count was able to cash in some favors in the mid 3040s as the revolutionary double heat sinks went into production.  Unfortunately some of the early runs had quality problems and on occasion one or two of the ten double heat sinks will lock a flow valve closed and will only be as effective as a single heat sink.  The flaw is not enough to down check the machine since it is still mission capable as long as half of them work properly.

Phoenix Hawk 3D-  This mech is new from the factory and a sign of your grandfather's favor with his lord.  Boasting newly re-discovered technology it will be quite the machine to show up with at the new unit.  The machine is still so new its never had a reason to be modified.

Enforcer 4R-  A mech that says 'Davion' more than most in the AFFC inventory, this was the mech Count Duffy's son died in on a Drac world.  The Deneb Light Cavalry had used a shipment of the new LBX autocannons to replace the standard AC/10 on the arm with the LBX version which also increased the ammo count.  The fallen mech was salvaged from the field by the DLC and returned with the remains of the Count's son to his home world.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
Re: What do you choose?
« Reply #1 on: 05 June 2019, 15:21:46 »
Enforcer.  I owe it to my father.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 05 June 2019, 15:27:16 »
I'll take the Archer.  Better head armor than the Phoenix Hawk (a lot of our family seem to die in these mechs and that doesn't sound fun to me), and it's a good solid mech.  It doesn't really have heat problems to begin with, so I should be able to act exactly as a normal Archer except with less heat.  Effectively it'll be like piloting a regular Archer on easy mode.

The Phoenix Hawk?  Some idiot commander will think it's a murder machine and probably expect me to take on a Warhammer or something.  The other two are solid designs, but not as good as the Archer.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #3 on: 05 June 2019, 16:11:25 »
Depends on who I am.

If I am a hothead and want to show off, Phoenix Hawk.

Duty and tradition above all. Enforcer. A solid design, but chosen for the tie o my father.

Bang for the buck. Victor, since the armor is a free upgrade. Having 4+ mechs, I am not sure that is really important to my family though, since we seem able to pay for it ourselves. A mech that is solid, and is unlikely to be thrown alone to the enemy but as a team of similar chose ranged thugs that want to mug the enemy. A grimmer approach to war. Still, being so near the enmey might not appeal to me that much.

Archer for the cautious commander. A long range mech that can close in with its 4 ML later on. Same principle that guides a Battlemaster, just smaller. I am unlikely to earn much glory in this machine, though, since I am in a fire support mech.

In the end, me being me, I would chose the Archer, but if I was the hero type the Enforcer or Victor would be my choice. The PHX is too dangerous for my own liking.

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #4 on: 05 June 2019, 16:31:51 »
Definitely the Archer. Fits in well with the front line support role that I like to play in my games. Cover fire while the comrades are closing in, two fists o' doom when the ammo bays run dry!  :thumbsup:
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 05 June 2019, 17:22:48 »
A large part of me wants to say Enforcer due to paternal connection, but in would also depend on which regiment I would be assigned. If the 15th, the Victor would be preferred as a mobile assault ‘Mech. If the 12th, the Enforcer would do well.

Most of the other units seem to prefer speed as well as mobility, meaning units moving 4/6 or 4/6/4 would likely hamper overall maneuverability of the unit, and so the Phoenix Hawk would be preferred.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2019, 17:31:53 »
Phoenix Hawk 3D, so I can show off my mad skills, racking up meh kills, and if not, runaway... er protect the extraction point.

Headcaps are a worry, but being able to disengage and fight another day, trumps all.
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2019, 18:58:10 »
My instinct is the Phoenix Hawk. If you're a noble heir you have a responsibility to survive to ensure the continuation of your line, and if you're in anything 4/6/x and the battle isn't going your way, you're pretty much screwed.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2019, 08:22:41 »
Is maintaining and repairing advanced equipment easy in this time period?  I'm very tempted by that shiny, new Phoenix Hawk and the Victor with actually respectable armor, but I'm worried that ferro-fibrous armor would be difficult to come by.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2019, 14:15:43 »
Phoenix Hawk -You can't command units if you can't keep up or lead the way.

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #10 on: 06 June 2019, 22:49:29 »
I will take the Phoenix Hawk 3D.  I prefer to stay with the Deneb’s light cav concept but I want to start my own stories in a brand new mech.
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 07 June 2019, 08:27:40 »
None of the above. I'll remove the armor and the LB-10x from the Enforcer, the armor Double Heat Sinks from the Archer, the DHS, the medium pulse lasers, the armor and the ER Larges from the Phoenix Hawk. The I'll  modify the Victor to carry the DHS, the LB-10x, some extra armor, and one or two of the ER Larges.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 07 June 2019, 08:49:37 »
None of the above. I'll remove the armor and the LB-10x from the Enforcer, the armor Double Heat Sinks from the Archer, the DHS, the medium pulse lasers, the armor and the ER Larges from the Phoenix Hawk. The I'll  modify the Victor to carry the DHS, the LB-10x, some extra armor, and one or two of the ER Larges.

So you would gut a lance your family might need to keep the peasants in line?  or fight off the local rivals if the feud erupted into open fighting?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #13 on: 07 June 2019, 10:52:13 »
The least favored option to me is the Archer, I guess it is somewhat of a tech edge compared to the others but the lack of background impact limits it.

The Phoenix Hawk fits with the Deneb Light Cavalry and I could certainly see a young hot shot giving this ride a go.

The Victor fits with the Davion Assault Guard and ties into your grandfather (current family patriarch) quite well.

But the Enforcer grabs me for its Davion workhorse role and the ties to your father.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2019, 16:17:19 »
An up-armored Victor sounds good to me!  :thumbsup:

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2019, 16:51:05 »
I like all those mechs, but I'll select the Victor and follow in grandpa's footsteps in the hopes of getting a slot down the road in the Heavy Guards.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #16 on: 07 June 2019, 19:54:16 »
An up-armored Victor sounds good to me!  :thumbsup:
especially if you can get on the list to get one of the new guass rifles istalled alongside the FerroFib armor (not a -9D since that used endo, but i'm sure you can scrape up the needed extra ton between the ferro and minor mods.)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #17 on: 07 June 2019, 20:06:30 »
Oh sure.... just trade in one of the ammo bins...

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 07 June 2019, 21:03:40 »
I'm torn between shiny new P-Hawk...  and the Enforcer that Dad died in.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #19 on: 07 June 2019, 23:35:45 »
I'm with the Doc, and I'm afraid, dad, I'm picking the Pixie. Speed and versatility just win out over practicality.

Mind you, it's a shame the Feds never made an LB-10X Enforcer. That extra ton of ammo, plus the range increment, makes all the difference, doesn't it?

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 08 June 2019, 00:31:28 »
The Victor for me, great for headcapping those pesky Phoenix Hawks. >:D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 08 June 2019, 01:05:58 »
I'm with the Doc, and I'm afraid, dad, I'm picking the Pixie. Speed and versatility just win out over practicality.

Mind you, it's a shame the Feds never made an LB-10X Enforcer. That extra ton of ammo, plus the range increment, makes all the difference, doesn't it?

W.

Yeah, I would have loved to see a Enforcer II -6D or whatever you want to call it that upgrades the ENF-5D that was still 4/6/4 . . . guess you get that with the Omni though, just 60 years late.
Colt Ward

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #22 on: 08 June 2019, 02:09:38 »
The Victor for me, great for headcapping those pesky Phoenix Hawks. >:D

Got to catch us first!

Look, if it wasn't the DLC, the Victor would ne right up there. But as it is...

W
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 08 June 2019, 05:40:27 »

W.

Erm, what about the 5D model?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 08 June 2019, 06:31:24 »
Since it's the DLC, I'd probably go with the Pixie or the upgraded Enforcer since it is a jumper. Now that the Enforcer has two tons of ammo, it's a better battlefield Mech. now upgrade the large laser to an ER model and the 4R is golden. If the Pixie eventually gets an upgrade to the large laser and double heat sinks then we are talking about a pretty decent scout that is a good light Mech killer.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 08 June 2019, 07:44:06 »
If the Pixie eventually gets an upgrade to the large laser and double heat sinks then we are talking about a pretty decent scout that is a good light Mech killer.

It was said to be the 3D model with an XL, endo, 12 DHS’s, 2 ER Large and 2 med pulse lasers?

Ruger
« Last Edit: 08 June 2019, 20:51:03 by Ruger »

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #26 on: 08 June 2019, 19:45:04 »
I'd go with the Phoenix Hawk. Assignment to the DLC means the Archer is a little out of place. The Victor and Enforcer are mobile but just barely fit the cavalry roll.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #27 on: 09 June 2019, 01:25:25 »
Phoenix Hawk 3D. Yeah, the armor's a little light, but you also have an impressive combo of reach and mobility with the ER larges.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 09 June 2019, 13:28:55 »
While the energy-only loadout bores me, the PXH is the only reasonable fit for a group called the 'Light Cavalry.' Unless that name is ill-fitting, it's the only one that matches the mission role; everything else is too slow.

If it were any other posting, the Archer would be my nod. The ARC-2R is playable in stock config in any era, and this one apparently has DHS that are sometimes flakey... but who cares? That's not enough to give it any problems whatsoever unless it starts eating engine hits.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 09 June 2019, 15:08:29 »
Torn between the Victor and the Phawk, I would say take the shiny new one, speed is life and going around with a ER LL in each arm like a drunken cowboy might be just the thing the brass is looking for!

Register