Author Topic: How far can a mechwarrior see?  (Read 2619 times)

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
Re: How far can a mechwarrior see?
« Reply #30 on: 16 July 2019, 23:50:02 »
A person with 20/20 vision can distinguish contours about 2mm apart at 6 meters distance. At 1800 meters, you'd be doing well to identify features that were half a meter across. At the horizon, it'd be difficult to distinguish a 'Mech in a field from a lone tree.

That suggests distinguishing a laser aperture from an autocannon muzzle should be possible around 25-30 hexes with the naked eye. A Hunchback could be distinguished from a Swayback (by the absence of the shoulder pod) somewhere around 1-1.5km using unaided vision.

If zoom optics are available, increase those ranges by the power of the zoom. A not-unreasonable 24X magnification (typical long-range rifle scope) would let you ID a Hunchback at the horizon (atmospheric haze and refraction notwithstanding).

That strongly suggests the sight ranges ingame are either not using magnification, or are greatly contracted.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: How far can a mechwarrior see?
« Reply #31 on: 16 July 2019, 23:58:53 »
I forget, how many rods is it to the chain?  I just can't seem to keep my medieval measurements straight anymore.  Inches, feet, and yards are SO much more modern and rational.....

Horses are measured in "hands", property in the US is measured in "feet", so what custom unit of measure would you naturally use for something like Battlemechs, to provide the inevitable manly "Mine is bigger than yours" boasting rights?  "My 'Mech is 64 D***s high".  "Well, I've got the exact same kind of 'Mech, but mine is only 58 D***s high, measuring by my own."
Here's a complete graphic from Wikipedia:

Please note that this merely shows the units in relation to each other and doesn't account for variation between areas.

Register