Author Topic: CP-10-Z Cyclops / Non-Canon 349th Dragoons  (Read 3542 times)

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
CP-10-Z Cyclops / Non-Canon 349th Dragoons
« on: 11 May 2019, 13:27:40 »
The Hornet and Awesome I recently posted were painted 5 years ago but because they were meant to be part of my CSO packet, I never posted them... Now we are getting into my "Workbench Babies". These are 4 Mechs that have been sitting on my workbench untouched for the past two years (the last miniature I finished before this one was a 9th Marik Militia Phoenix Hawk that was completed in August of 2017)... Amazing what 2 years of not painting does to one's skills. Not it isn't good. I think part of it is trying to remember what I was doing, part trying to rush a little to finally finish it, but too much is just learning to paint all over again. The lower half was complete when I put the brushes down, the upper half is all new paint in the last month or so.

I've never really liked this sculpt of the Cyclops.

A lot of not liking it may come from the way the arms are turned. I can't tell of the warrior is about to do an Alpha Strike, is about to arch its back and roar, or something completely different... But no matter what it represents, at best, it is awkward... And worst still is the "Just standing here" stance that so many of the early sculpts had... While I'm not completely satisfies with how this turned out (he looks to be a little off balance and leaning), it is better than where I started.

As for the paint, as I mentioned in the beginning, it has been a bit of a learning curve to get back to where I was two years ago. And I'm not sure if I will actually end up back in that place, or somewhere else that may or may not be as good... Overall the paint is OK for where I was, but I'd like to mention two things... Trying to replicate the cockpit style I stolen from Spaceman Spiff is harder than I thought. I must have repainted the cockpit 10 times. I finally said "good enough" and have to admit the more I leave it alone, the happier I am with it... The other thing is the flames on the left torso. I've never been good at flames, but I think I have the starting of an idea of how to do them. If I move the starting point of the palette to a level or two brighter, I think I might have something that looks decent in another attempt or three.

Caz

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: CP-10-Z Cyclops / Non-Canon 349th Dragoons
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2019, 16:15:50 »
 :o :thumbsup:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2019, 20:22:00 »
As always, a lovely piece of work!

I can't make useful critique on the painting - as usual, superb. I agree that the Cyclops has always had a dull stance. The arms here are good, but it does look a little too rocked backwards - as if it came around a corner & saw a bright pink Demolisher ;)

And this is the first time I've specifically noted the basing overflowing the hex edge. Very effective! Not sure if I'll try it though.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2019, 20:43:49 »
I agree that the Cyclops has always had a dull stance. The arms here are good, but it does look a little too rocked backwards - as if it came around a corner & saw a bright pink Demolisher ;)

Of all the things I see wrong with the Cyclops (and I have been accused of being my own worst critic), I never noticed that one. But now that you mention it... I was actually talking more of the way it leans to the right a bit.

And this is the first time I've specifically noted the basing overflowing the hex edge.

Stylistic choice I made back in 2010... Everything I've done since then uses it. I like it better than other options because it doesn't end as abruptly as staying inside the base, and by not going all the way down, it helps to highlight the rest of the base work.

Caz

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2019, 03:27:49 »
Cyclops is probably one of the 3025 designs that needs a classics face-lift the most.
Or at least get the Dark Age model done for it :D

But i got nothing to say bad about your work, cause it's absolutely stellar. Especially love the little details like the individually painted LRMs and the gorgeous cockpit jeweling!

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2019, 07:05:30 »
What a great job taking a boring, and odd, pose and bringing some life to the Cyclops.  And the paint job is still top notch. 8) :thumbsup:  I'm really impressed with work on the SRM 4 rack.  That is some tiny detail work.  Well done! :clap:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2019, 19:23:06 »
Wow... no love for one of the best poses you can get with a one-piece miniature.  I don't remember seeing complaints of the Unseen Archer's pose, and it's exactly the same. Of course, TRO3025 artwork-wise, the Cyclops is just a modified Archer. :D

Caz, I really like the paint-work. Especially the cockpit glass and numbers. Very subtle work on the missile launchers, making the face of the LRM10 inset and turning both sets of missiles into "outies".

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2019, 19:39:00 »
Wow... no love for one of the best poses you can get with a one-piece miniature.  I don't remember seeing complaints of the Unseen Archer's pose, and it's exactly the same.

The last time I painted an unseen Archer, I did the below to it... So not a lot of love for that one either.

Cyclops is probably one of the 3025 designs that needs a classics face-lift the most.

I don't understand why some Mechs have a bunch of versions (Warhammer, Marauder, Highlander, just to name a few) and others are still basically the same one they came out with all those years ago.

Caz

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2019, 20:25:49 »
Great job painting the ol' gal, although i think it's a decent lookin' mech to begin with after you sort out the questionable pose. looks like it was hauling groceries.

can't say i personally like the missiles like that, but i admit it draws the eye. one of them personal tastes i suspect.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2019, 06:31:14 »
can't say i personally like the missiles like that, but i admit it draws the eye. one of them personal tastes i suspect.

Obviously I'm the other way... I get tired of seeing the empty holes in the Mech, never really knowing if the are laser, cannon or launcher... Adding the missile heads leaves no doubt and adds a little visual interest... Granted, it wasn't done so well on the Archer, but that was one of the first times I tried just painting them.

Caz

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2019, 09:36:24 »
Obviously I'm the other way... I get tired of seeing the empty holes in the Mech, never really knowing if the are laser, cannon or launcher... Adding the missile heads leaves no doubt and adds a little visual interest... Granted, it wasn't done so well on the Archer, but that was one of the first times I tried just painting them.

Caz

or they could be camo, instead of being the LRMs one would expect, it could be 10 small lasers firing from the same ports of a sneaky modification
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2019, 11:33:27 »
As always, a lovely piece of work!

I can't make useful critique on the painting - as usual, superb. I agree that the Cyclops has always had a dull stance. The arms here are good, but it does look a little too rocked backwards - as if it came around a corner & saw a bright pink Demolisher ;)

And this is the first time I've specifically noted the basing overflowing the hex edge. Very effective! Not sure if I'll try it though.

W.

Now I need to paint a BRIGHT PINK DEMOLISHER to go with the rest of my Bright Pink Company :P!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2019, 13:29:29 »
It's a callback to the shared Battle Corps merc unit/storyline on the BC.com site - Skuggi Sargon and his bright pink Demolisher II. "Intimidating" quirk indeed! ;)

And why not a bright pink combined arms battalion?  :thumbsup:

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2019, 16:55:01 »
or they could be camo, instead of being the LRMs one would expect, it could be 10 small lasers firing from the same ports of a sneaky modification

That is what I used to do... "Oh, this Shadow Hawk isn't a -2H, it's a -3J... The large laser is in the AC-5 housing and the LRM-5 rack cycles 3 times, kind of like how the fluff says the Atlas' rack cycles 4 times. So it is really a LRM-15"... Since I learned how to mod I tend towards WYSIWYG... Granted, I also have the luxury of not trying to finish a mini for the next campaign, as I don't play these days.

Now I need to paint a BRIGHT PINK DEMOLISHER to go with the rest of my Bright Pink Company :P!

Funny, I thought of you when I read that... It may not be a Demolisher, but this should work as well...

Caz

Edit: I noticed when I looked at this on my phone they were over/under, not side-by-side... When they are over/under you don't get the visual effect that makes this funny.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2019, 17:30:24 by Cazaril »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2019, 17:01:28 »
That last pair is hilarious!

And I agree with everyone else here... fantastic paint job!  :thumbsup:

thecybersmily

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2019, 17:20:02 »
Great works!

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2019, 12:16:57 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:

Skuggi

• Recruit
« Reply #17 on: 09 June 2020, 19:31:36 »
It's a callback to the shared Battle Corps merc unit/storyline on the BC.com site - Skuggi Sargon and his bright pink Demolisher II. "Intimidating" quirk indeed! ;)

And why not a bright pink combined arms battalion?  :thumbsup:

W.

She's a lil more battleworn now but I guess still intimidating.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 09 June 2020, 20:07:46 »
Hey man! Welcome back! Nice to see "my Ghu what is that thing?!?!?!!!" again! :thumbsup:

Jhousdan

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 13 June 2020, 15:00:04 »
That is what I used to do... "Oh, this Shadow Hawk isn't a -2H, it's a -3J... The large laser is in the AC-5 housing and the LRM-5 rack cycles 3 times, kind of like how the fluff says the Atlas' rack cycles 4 times. So it is really a LRM-15"... Since I learned how to mod I tend towards WYSIWYG... Granted, I also have the luxury of not trying to finish a mini for the next campaign, as I don't play these days.

Funny, I thought of you when I read that... It may not be a Demolisher, but this should work as well...

Caz

Edit: I noticed when I looked at this on my phone they were over/under, not side-by-side... When they are over/under you don't get the visual effect that makes this funny.

DUDE.... any more pics of the pink fatlas? I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has made mods to those (I havent modified the arm lasers on any of mine, but I've added AC/20 barrels, radar dish and antennas)

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 13 June 2020, 20:23:42 »
DUDE.... any more pics of the pink fatlas? I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has made mods to those (I havent modified the arm lasers on any of mine, but I've added AC/20 barrels, radar dish and antennas)

Here is a link to the original post.

Caz