Poll

What is the best position in BT to block enemy advances?

Pass (Kasserine Pass)
7 (43.8%)
Bridge/Ford (Remagen)
4 (25%)
Isthmus (Karellian Isthmus, Winter War)
1 (6.3%)
Canyons (Echo Canyon)
0 (0%)
Road through Heavy Forest/Swamp (Battle of Wilderness)
4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: 04 November 2019, 14:14:35

Author Topic: Best Terrain for blocking position?  (Read 4668 times)

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
Re: Best Terrain for blocking position?
« Reply #30 on: 17 October 2019, 10:01:47 »
Banking on an enemy being cripplingly stupid isn’t a reliable long term bet.
  You may as well toss most of the canon scenarios out because "cripplingly stupid" is a BTU staple...

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 17 October 2019, 10:19:16 »
Hm. The thing is that I want the terrain to be beneficial to me without being so impossible that there isn’t a commander in existence actually dumb enough to attack it.

Hm. For reference, I will be defending the north side of the map.

Ideal for me?
1) I want a swamp or river running East-West that’s 5 hexes wide. Let the fastest jumpers go over and fight alone.
2) I want a tree line on the north side of the swamp. The tree line can have gaps, but I’d want those gaps to require at least one turn. That allows hover tanks through, but they either travel much slower to avoid PSR or risk eating trees on a failed roll.
3) A road running North-South. Ideally not going straight over the swamp/river so that mechs want to walk around the corner and not risk a slip when running. I want a place where I can have my pre-plotted artillery ready.

This isn’t the most impossible terrain. What it does is provide a lot of incentive for attackers to split their forces in such a way that I can reasonably focus down specific elements 1 at a time.

A lot of ideas listed are ones where my response to the challenge of attacking is to find a way around because attacking a force there is comically stupid.

Take a look at the Desert Sinkhole maps.  It's a weird inversion in that there is cover to be had in the middle of the map, but there are clear lines of fire from one end to the other.  If you pre dig  mech scale foxholes, that is a natural place for the other player to move toward.  Get down into one of those holes, out of sight and cool down, or wait for friendlies to catch up.   Except those spots are pre sighted for your arty.  >:D.  Or they have command detonated mines. After the first experience, the other player will probably avoid those foxholes, and be forced to take the long way around. If you want to sweeten the pot, start with some of your forces in those foxholes and let yourself be "pushed back."

Add some trees along the upper edge to flumox the other fellow's vees.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #32 on: 17 October 2019, 10:22:58 »
Has TacOps taught you nothing? Of course there's a rule for that!

TacOps page 64 has the damage needed. 50 damage turns a sheer cliff into a normal slope. 200 damage turns an empty hex into a rough hex 1 Level shorter. This sounds like a lot of damage, but all the energy weapons of a decent-sized force should be able to manage that in a few turns. I don't recommend using melee attacks to try and supplement this unless you know this isn't the final turn of shooting at the hex: Landslides can hurt.

Now I'm imagining bringing along some of those booby trapped drone Buffaloes from XTRO: Succession Wars specifically for the purpose of blowing ramps into cliffs.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #33 on: 17 October 2019, 10:35:31 »
The Invasion is interesting because quite simply the Clans did not have to be any good strategically, their momentum and tech superiority let them overcome any planning shortfalls.  Later waves and Tukayyid specifically the arrogance of being able to just run over the opposition came back to haunt them . . . in addition to Focht exploiting the nature of Clan warfare.  Its pretty easy to set ambushes and predict axis of advance when you know where your enemy is landing (agreed upon during bidding) and they have very specific, very limited objectives (agreed upon during bidding).  Which is explicitly counter to IRL examples- commanders/armies have been known to change their immediate objectives if they run into too difficult a defense, instead probing the flanks to get around it or striking deep around the sides to force defenders to pull back or be cut off.  Or the diversionary attack on the 'edge' of the main line of resistance intended to draw off reserves and initial air/artillery support manages to successfully punch through the line.

Instead the Clans tried to bull through to their objectives (hey diddle diddle, straight up the middle- Jaguar combat motto) because they did not respect their opposition (b/c GREEN troops) and what they had been doing had worked, so why change?  No one ever taught them the maxim, 'the obvious path is mined.'  Most of BTU combat up to that point was more akin to US Civil War or Napoleonic axis of advance rather than European WWII battle lines . . . Tukayyid was the first battle to change that afaik, the troop density of the divisions protecting the objective cities.  We did get a few running battles (13th Wolf Guards & ComGuards tried to use the same canyons to flank), but most were the Clans trying to push through the defensive lines which does not play to the Clans mobility strength while giving the IS combined arms approach a better position in the field.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 03 December 2019, 08:30:49 »
Iced over rubble . Rubble 2 space movement  cost. ice covered have to walk at half speed or get a +5 penalty  to pilot or +7 at a run .

Register