Author Topic: Field Report 2765: Periphery  (Read 10090 times)

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Field Report 2765: Periphery
« on: 07 November 2014, 19:05:51 »
This thread is for all issues and problems with Field Report 2765: Periphery.

Product Link: http://bg.battletech.com/test/epubs/battletech-field-report-2765-periphery

Please remember to follow the errata report template when reporting issues.  Thanks.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Field Report 2765: Periphery
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2014, 19:38:51 »
Page 13 Magistracy of Canopus Royal Guards

MAGISTRACY ROYAL GUARDS
Originally numbering a dozen BattleMech and conventional regiments, Coordinator Takiro Kurita
reformed the corps in the 2740s, reducing it to five reinforced BattleMech regiments and turning them
into “the soul of the DCMS.” Easily identifiable by their flat red color scheme and flaming-sword insignia,
these troops are used to spearhead major attacks or suppress rebellions across the Combine. Answerable
only to the Coordinator, they are temporarily assigned to a Warlord’s command, but each tai-sho remains
responsible for his regiment’s actions

Wrong Field Report?
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2014, 19:56:58 »
Page 30

ESSEX I (DESTROYER)

Artwork used is the Tech Readout 2750 art for the Vincent class corvette.

Recommend correction:  Switch to the 2750 Essex art.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2014, 22:20:02 »
Possible error: Pg 28

The random mech allocation tables for the Magistracy of Canopus and Outworlds Alliance are identical. As are the ones for the Taurian Concordat and Rim Worlds Republic.

If an error, Recommended correction would be to replace tables with correct ones as needed. If not, pretend I was never here.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2014, 22:34:32 »
Error: Pg 27, 28

The dice roll modifier for Rim Worlds Imperial and Republican Guard divisions can produce results too large for the current Rim Worlds Republic Mech assignment table. As this modifier still works with all other random asignment tables for the Republic, I presume the Republic Mech table is missing two additional entries per column, possibly as a result of the possible error I noted previously.

Recommended correction: Provide the additional two rows of information. Alternately, if the mech table is considered accurate, include a note indicating how a result larger than the maximum possible result on the table is resolved.

Error: Pg 29

The bottom two rows of the Light, Medium, and Heavy aerofighters random allocation table, as well as the bottom two rows of the dropship allocation table, are filled with conventional vehicles rather than the appropriate unit type. In addition, the headers for each column refer to conventional vehicles rather than the relevant aerospace craft.

Recommended correction: replace incorrect entries with correct information

Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2014, 23:30:20 »
Missing: pr 4 WARSHIPS OF THE TERRITORIAL STATES

Rim Worlds Republic section. The section lists the flagship, RWS Stefan Amaris.  This appeared in Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2 as the Stefan Amaris-Class Battleship. Unless there second RWS Stefan Amaris, Stefan Amaris-Class Battleships should be listed with 3 ships active as of 2765. This was known by the SLDF since they were sent to the Hegemony for "refit".
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2014, 14:44:55 »
Page 5

It thus comes as little surprise that the first sign of Alliance military expansion after the revocation of C.E. 2650 was the launch
of the OAS Pulsar, a Pinto-class WarShip constructed over Alpheratz mere months after the edit was struck down.

Change "edit" to "edict".
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2014, 16:12:21 »
Page 11, Paragraph 2

It is clear that a large portion of the Rime Worlds’ BattleMech strength comes from DB nowadays...

Change "Rime" to "Rim".

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."

lrose

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2014, 17:27:49 »
p. 4
Warships of the Territorial States
The Concordat has 4 Lola II Destroyers.  Per TR3057R p. 210 all Lola IIs were thought to have been scrapped and somehow at least 4 ended up with the Taurian rebels.  These ships should not appear on the public listing of Concordat warships. (or alternatively this may be an errata for TR3057R since new usually trumps older material)

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 10 November 2014, 23:19:06 »
As per Masters & Minions, page 217, paragraph 1:

The two then parted ways in 3049 on amiable terms, Zwick having been reassigned to a RO M vessel patrolling the Deep Periphery where he discovered the wreck of the Naga-class RWN Dystopia in a ruined Rim Worlds system in 3051.

This ship wasn't found near a coreward system, so it must be that it was a part of the Rim Worlds Navy prior to the coup, since almost 100% of the Rim Worlds Navy would have been present in the Terran Hegemony. Not sure how many of these ships were in the RWN, but the presence of at least one was documented.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 10 November 2014, 23:30:23 »
Page 11 states that the Marauder, Locust and Wasp were made in significant numbers. The RAT does not reflect this, putting the Marauder at the most rare chance possible for their best units.

Page 18 has the RWA fielding numbers of Black Knight, Excalibur, Highlander and King Crab. These are not reflected on the RAT, which is missing the 15 and 16 field.

-The Outworlds Alliance only has four 'Mech factories within its territory, with the only high-tech example being the Night Hawk NTK-2Q from Mountain Wolf BattleMechs. But its RAT has as much high technology than the Taurian Concordat.  ??? Seems really off that the OAM would be fielding Hermes, Phoenix Hawk PXH-2s and Thorns, but no Night Hawks, in this case.

-More than one image from this period has the Toro being fielded, which is notably absent from the Taurian tables.

-The Quasit QUA-51T should probably be flooding these Medium tables on the lower-end. It's been described as one of the most numerous designs in the Periphery during this period. Probably a lot more prevalent than the ASN-21 or PX-4R, both of which had only a few examples existing in this time, period. The ASN- never even facing combat until the Succession Wars and the PX-4R only having a limited production run during the 2580s.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2014, 23:33:19 by TigerShark »

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 11 November 2014, 08:19:00 »
Page 11 states that the Marauder, Locust and Wasp were made in significant numbers. The RAT does not reflect this, putting the Marauder at the most rare chance possible for their best units.

Page 18 has the RWA fielding numbers of Black Knight, Excalibur, Highlander and King Crab. These are not reflected on the RAT, which is missing the 15 and 16 field.

-The Outworlds Alliance only has four 'Mech factories within its territory, with the only high-tech example being the Night Hawk NTK-2Q from Mountain Wolf BattleMechs. But its RAT has as much high technology than the Taurian Concordat.  ??? Seems really off that the OAM would be fielding Hermes, Phoenix Hawk PXH-2s and Thorns, but no Night Hawks, in this case.

-More than one image from this period has the Toro being fielded, which is notably absent from the Taurian tables.

-The Quasit QUA-51T should probably be flooding these Medium tables on the lower-end. It's been described as one of the most numerous designs in the Periphery during this period. Probably a lot more prevalent than the ASN-21 or PX-4R, both of which had only a few examples existing in this time, period. The ASN- never even facing combat until the Succession Wars and the PX-4R only having a limited production run during the 2580s.

RATs are not indicative of the rarity or popularity of a design. This is not errata.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 11 November 2014, 12:17:26 »
Misprint page 22 - Taurian Guard - Unless regiment was left out of the regimental listings, the first sentence of the write up is in error. Only three regiments are listed the Regimental Status section of the profile. 
Quote from: Field Report 2765: Periphery
Taurian Guards consists of several elite regiments that share ties with the original Taurian Guard

Suggested Solution: Re-write line from consisting of several elite regiments to consisting of three elite regiments

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: 11 November 2014, 12:58:27 »
Misprint page 29 - Periphery General Random Assignment Tables - Aerospace Row
- The Row labeled for "Aerospace" has a mix of ground combat vehicles listed in this row along with aerospace fighters and dropships.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 31 December 2014, 03:17:17 »
Page 27

Problem: The Taurian Concordat's modifier table is labeled "Outworlds Alliance."
Fix: Label it Taurian Concordat.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 31 December 2014, 03:48:43 »
Page 20

Current: "The Fifth Amaris Regulars, meanwhile, holds the honor of being deployed the furthest coreward of any state military command currently
known."

This information is incorrect. The planets listed put it at the furthest rimward unit deployed.

Fix: "The Fifth Amaris Regulars, meanwhile, holds the honor of being deployed the furthest coreward rimward of any state military command currently
known."

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #16 on: 13 January 2015, 13:43:24 »
First PDF printing, page 25, first paragraph, third sentence:

As the TDF gradual rebuilt its strength,...

Should probably be

As the TDF gradually rebuilt its strength,..
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #17 on: 04 February 2015, 14:28:52 »
First Release, page 18. It's a little thing, but...

"...high-quality ’Mechs like the Black Knight, Excalibur, Highlander, and King Crab are becoming..."

'Mech names need to be italicized.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #18 on: 04 February 2015, 18:26:52 »
P5
It thus comes as little surprise that the first sign of Alliance military expansion after the revocation of C.E. 2650 was the launch of the OAS Pulsar, a Pinto-class WarShip constructed over Alpheratz mere months after the edit was struck down.

Can we get this checked out as it contradicts P17 of Strategic Operations.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #19 on: 20 March 2015, 17:14:55 »
I mis-wrote the Athena some and created a bit of confusion about technology about naval technology in 2170. So, it might help to tweak the Athena's write-up on p. 31:

The Athena is an interesting insight to 2170s views on space warfare. With virtually no practical experience in deep space warfare, the Alliance relied on brainstorming, simulations, and the experience of Second Cold War orbital space battles. The result was a ship designed for space-to-space nuclear warfare and support for Alliance troops invading separatist colonies: heavy capital missile batteries in the bow and stern arcs; potent laser batteries for ammo-independent anti-fighter, anti-shipping, and surface-bombardment duties. Its supplementary autocannons, added likely as an afterthought, proved potent in highspeed closing engagements, but were likely intended to serve more against relatively immobile targets, such as satellites and stations. The stern-heavy weaponry (a feature shared with the McKenna and modernized Aegis) reflected the Athena’s role as a bombardment platform, as the vessel would be expected to hover at the atmospheric threshold over a battlefield with her nose pointed away from the planet.

Another feature that clearly shows the Athena’s ancient origins...

What I'd suggest, if I could do that over, would be:

The Athena is an interesting insight to 2170s views on space warfare. With virtually no practical experience in deep space warfare, the Alliance relied on brainstorming, simulations, and the experience of Second Cold War orbital space battles. The result was a ship designed for space-to-space nuclear warfare and support for Alliance troops invading separatist colonies. The Magistracy implemented this 2170's vision with 2500s weaponry: heavy capital missile batteries in the bow and stern arcs and potent laser batteries for ammo-independent anti-fighter, anti-shipping, and surface-bombardment duties. Its supplementary autocannons proved potent in highspeed closing engagements, but were intended by the Magistracy to serve more against relatively immobile targets, such as satellites and stations. The stern-heavy weaponry (a feature shared with the McKenna and modernized Aegis) reflected the Athena’s role as a bombardment platform, as the vessel would be expected to hover at the atmospheric threshold over a battlefield with her nose pointed away from the planet.

A feature that clearly shows the Athena’s ancient origins...

Underlines mark the suggestions. Just a few words here and there to make clear that the Athena wasn't built with 2170s weaponry or that the 2170s version had items like naval lasers, which were developed in 2305 (p. 333 TacOps).
« Last Edit: 20 March 2015, 17:39:04 by cray »
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 14 April 2016, 02:15:33 »
Electronic 1st Edition, Page 4, "WarShips of the Territorial States" sidebar.

Problem: The sidebar makes no mention of the Rim Worlds Republic having any Aegis-class heavy cruisers in service. However, the BattleCorps ship product "BattleCorps Ship Profile: RWS Tadeo Amaris" describes the Tadeo Amaris, an Aegis-class former Terran Hegemony cruiser previously named the SLS Athens that was gifted to Stefan Amaris by Richard Calderon in 2763 and which served in the RWR navy until at least 2774, so the RWR had at least one Aegis in service and known to the SLIC.

Suggested Solution: Add at least one Aegis to the list of WarShips in service with the RWR to the sidebar. (It may be useful to add more than one, as that could potentially sweep up the RWS Tigershark, an RWR Aegis listed as a potential combatant above New Dallas in Historical Turning Points: New Dallas on 14 Jan 2767, although the Tigershark could also have been one of the one hundred WarShips looted from the SLDF naval reserve during the launch of APOTHEOSIS as detailed on page 49 of Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1.)

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 16 February 2019, 21:32:26 »
Any word on this getting compiled and/or fixed? Or at least getting the full table completed up to a roll of 16 on page 27 (Random Allocation Tables)? :)
Also...
Page 27: The Taurian Concordat's table is labeled "Outworlds Alliance."

« Last Edit: 17 February 2019, 13:32:27 by TigerShark »

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 24 June 2022, 05:55:59 »
Page 30

"The Terran Hegemony’s first major destroyer class, the Essex, was built by Delhi WarShips over Carver V for three decades."

Issue: Delhi WarShips had their shipyards over Carver IV. First Succession War, p. 125, "Shipbuilding Casualties of the First Succession War"

Correction: Change V to IV

Page 10
"Boneventure-"
Issue: Spelling
Correction: Change to "Bonaventure-"
« Last Edit: 09 January 2024, 17:53:31 by ShroudedSciuridae »
"Assassinating" the Clan commander's goldfish is hardly the stuff of legend.

Register