Author Topic: Per the rules how outrageous of a roll series would I need...  (Read 178 times)

Jeyar123

• Corporal
Okay, I think I understand the rules now, but just to be sure: what would the roll be, and how often would I have to roll to swap out my 8 RL-20 on the Archer-6W for 24 RL-10s. Also assuming I have to pay for this with the rules, what would this cost me?

We are in the surviving Drop ship with plenty of RL-10 and extra space for our advanced mechanical bays to use and lots of techs with no mechs to work on....  :cry:

Charistoph

• Major
Re: Per the rules how outrageous of a roll series would I need...
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2024, 23:20:57 »
A lot will depend on which system you're tracking this with, I think.  The good news is that for what you're asking, it seems to all fit quite tightly in to place in a 1:3 replacement in the Side Torsos.  This will allow you to effectively either increase your rocket firepower by 50% or your dwell time.

If we go by Campaign Operations, this will be a Class B Refit, maybe?  Since you're removing stuff from both Side Torsos and replacing them, this seems to fit.  That means it can be done in the field, (though, you may still want to get your best facility if you can), and doesn't automatically reduce the Quality of the unit (though, the Roll itself might do that).

This is my first time running these numbers, so bear with me.

It will be a Technician Skill Check.

A Class B Refit provides for a +3 modifier (pg 211).  It also triples the time it would take for this refit.  It's not from a refit kit, so no other modifier from that.

It will also include modifiers from the Maintenance, Repair, and Salvage Check Modifiers Table (pg 192-194).  Rocket Launchers are Tech Rating B, so apply a -2 Modifier.

There's a Unit Quality Rating Modifier.  In this case, the more "New from the factory" fresh it is, the better the modifier.  This can range from -2 for a pristine Rating of F, to a +3 Rating for A ("it's been salvaged how many times now?").

There's also modifiers for when you are, and which faction you are.  In most cases, outside the Jihad, you're looking at a +1 Modifier, except for the Late Succession Wars (3rd and 4th) which are +2.

You can put up to 3 teams on a unit for a -1 for each additional Team (using teh best team's experience).

If the main tech team has personnel issues (casualties or hits), this can in crease the modifier as well, up to a maximum of +4.

Location will matter.  An Improvised field station will be a +2, but if you're in your Dropship bay, that is a null modifier of zero.

Then there's planetary conditions, but most of that is crazy weather, times, atmosphere, or even in the middle of nowhere (i.e. zero-G).  You didn't mention them, and being in a Dropship helps ignore most of that.

Depending on when you are doing it, if Rocket Launchers are just back in vogue, then you might need to add a +2 modifier for "Extinct Component".  Since you're using a 'Mech that can already use them and isn't a prototype model for that, I think we can ignore that modifier.

From there it will be based on how much time you give your tech crews to complete the job.  Doing overtime, jury-rigging, rushing the job, or even just taking extra time to do it will affect the results (hint, taking your time is better).

So, assuming a Merc unit in the Jihad, with a Quality D unit, doing a normal job, we have:
Tech Skill Base
Class B: +3
Tech Rating B: -2
Quality D: +0
Era Modifier: +0
Full Team: +0
2 more Teams: -2
Basic Facility: +0

For a total Roll of Tech Skill - 1.  Not too bad.  However, there were a lot of assumptions being made there, both in system and certain qualities being involved.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2024, 23:22:31 by Charistoph »
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Jeyar123

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2024, 18:37:00 »
Oh, this is still way different than I thought I needed - I still don't get the rules I guess. I had the main lead tech (vet) and with the assistance of the other teams of techs I thought I had to roll 24 times and not roll a 2. I didn't do anything about the mech newness, as it was purchased at the Taurian production facility by the merc group my character joined up with. The mech has had armor damage, and at least I haven't had more than a bit of damage as only if it looks like a kill is possible do enemies fire on my unit (GR, kicks when above me and such) - Otherwise they almost ignore us vs. units that stay on the field, which is why my mech is back. The leader sends me back to defend and reload. But it seems the meme of blowing up Taurian DS is firm. The leopard was blown up and our inefficient but advanced union (loss of bays for other abilities) is all we have left and its resources. It has RL10, no RL20 reloads. We sort of won, but we can't safely claim the salvage without a "dangerous" mech protecting our salvage people. 2 ml seems not to be a serious threat (all my weapons facing forward). The weather was fine (normal people farm on the world, and the battle had nothing special for conditions). No other mech, vehicle or infantry made it off the field (and their leopard killing force died too) before the battle ended. So since most people like staying at the advanced and comfortable union when on planet, we have all the techs here and only my unit for now to work on. I suppose we count as a merc unit that hails from the production facilities of the TC. We are well post Jihad - but we don't get to play with advanced toys, but the union DS can supposedly handle such items if we dare get our hands on them. We have in the union many tons of RL10 like almost a hundred. They can take as much time as the want so long as they get at least 10 units facing forward before 3 days fully pass - the Quarter master estimates that is as long as we can wait to make our mech being taken seriously to safely collect salvage.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2024, 05:28:25 »
Don't forget to add the time for removing the RL-20s.  That's only Class A, but because you're doing the installs too, they take the time penalty for the overall Class B nature of the refit.

Jeyar123

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2024, 17:11:22 »
So I need to roll 8 2's (which take time and money) even with them already being fired off before I got back, should I be trying to put a heavy PPC in instead of the RL10 - I was trying to save time money and target roll, but this is getting scary...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2024, 17:16:59 »
That's up to you, but you have to spend the time and money to remove the RL-20s either way.