Author Topic: Tell Me About: Clan Goliath Scorpion Battle Language  (Read 8785 times)

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
Tell Me About: Clan Goliath Scorpion Battle Language
« on: 03 February 2011, 13:22:08 »
I am playing a CGS Seeker in a RPG game and ended up with the CGS Battle Langue. I read through the CGS entry in FM Warden Clans and found no mention of it. Other then skill points toward it, there are no mentions of it in Mechwarrior’s Guide to the Clans. Is there any canon reference to what its like?

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Tell Me About: Clan Goliath Scorpion Battle Language
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2011, 13:51:39 »
[Keanu Reeves voice]"whoa dude, I'm like seeing some bad dudes over there."[/KRV]
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2011, 14:50:38 »
Honestly this is news to me. Never heard of it.

Joshua D

• Corporal
  • A Ranger must be free.
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2011, 15:05:11 »
Ya, i noticed it too.  I also noticed Goliath Scorpions get Russian.  Maybe the two are synonymous?  I'm pretty sure the other Clans use English exclusively...

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2011, 15:31:20 »
Old material for the Clan Invasion talks about the Clans having a special "battle language" that made use of code words and so on that rendered Inner Sphere attempts to tap their communications pointless; even if they could ovecome the Clans' superior scrambling, they had no idea what anyone was saying.

Presumably, the Scorpions have a more evolved version of that which makes it harder or impossible for non-Scorpions to understand what they are saying, even if they are Clan.

As far as MWGttC goes, the Scorpions don't get Russian. I was very surprised that the Wolves did not either, as many (if not most) of their warriors spend a great deal of time studying the original writings of the Kerenskys. IMO Russian should be a Clan-wide Secondary Language for that reason, with the Wolves gaining a small bonus to it because of their additional interest.

Your mileage may vary.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2011, 16:29:41 »
Between the code, the loan words from Russian and any other language, and the necrosia. I don't think anyone not a Scorpion can understand them
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2011, 16:44:00 »
If I had to guess, its a quick way of expressing relevant information in combat (yeah, I know, not very helpful). If you've ever listened to a professional rally racer's navigator, you can probably get a hint as to what it might be like with the Goliath Scorpion Battle Language.

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2011, 19:49:42 »
*Suffers Colin MacCrae Rally flashback*

I'll cut if I damn well want to  >:(
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #8 on: 03 February 2011, 22:35:21 »
I am playing a CGS Seeker in a RPG game and ended up with the CGS Battle Langue. I read through the CGS entry in FM Warden Clans and found no mention of it. Other then skill points toward it, there are no mentions of it in Mechwarrior’s Guide to the Clans. Is there any canon reference to what its like?
How did you end up with CGS Battle Language?  Is it a skill from AToW or something?

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2011, 22:41:31 »
It was in 'Mechwarrior's Guide to the Clans', a book for an earlier edition of the RPG. The info for generating Scorp characters featured it but didn't give any fluff details.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #10 on: 03 February 2011, 22:45:19 »
It was in 'Mechwarrior's Guide to the Clans', a book for an earlier edition of the RPG. The info for generating Scorp characters featured it but didn't give any fluff details.
Huh.  I wonder if it's something akin to the whistle code the Falcons used during the Dark Age, as mentioned in Flight of the Falcon or something like the Navajo Windtalkers that were used during WWII.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2011, 22:46:50 by joechummer »

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Author Page
Official Website

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 03 February 2011, 22:47:45 »
It's probably just deranged necrosian ravings over open comms that the Scorpions tell other Clans is 'Battle Language' to save face.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2011, 22:49:08 »

Holy crap its Klingon!

Ever read The Final Reflection ?  8)

Basically its curt one or two syllable words which represent a full order, which cuts down on reaction time.

Alas Paramount decided not to follow John Ford's viable vision for the Klingon Empire and decided to go with adolescent lobster headed aliens instead.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #13 on: 03 February 2011, 23:00:39 »
Basically its curt one or two syllable words which represent a full order, which cuts down on reaction time.
That makes a lot of sense.  My only question is, why is this sort of thing unique to the Scorpions?

Author Page
Official Website

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 03 February 2011, 23:18:25 »
As a Clan the Scorpions are rather isolationist, not in the same way as the Vipers and Spirits but because they're inward-looking and concerned mostly with their own affairs. Battle Language would seem to be something that developed in the Clan, perhaps as early as the very first years. Between not having much contact with the Scorpions, and not having much need of secret language in their up-front ritual combat styles, I guess the other Clans never developed their own version. I've no proof but it would be in keeping with the Clans, and the Scorpions especially, if Battle Language was mainly used nowadays as much from tradition as for any practical benefits.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #15 on: 04 February 2011, 01:00:21 »
If their battle language is anything along the lines of what Top suggested, I would figure it evolved out of the Scorpions' love of a quick, clean kill.  The Scorpions love speed (but in a different way than the Hellions), efficiency, and finesse, and being able to convey an entire order with such an efficient economy of syllables sounds like something right up their alley.

Author Page
Official Website

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 04 February 2011, 02:20:20 »
That makes a lot of sense.  My only question is, why is this sort of thing unique to the Scorpions?

Possibly because only the Scorpion's writer decided to add it in. MW3 really seemed to have the issue of a different person doing their own little bit (that's why some life paths seemed to be wildly out of scale with the others I believe).

I'm not even sure if the language is mentioned in their writeup in FM:Warden Clans.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #17 on: 04 February 2011, 06:21:31 »
Possibly because only the Scorpion's writer decided to add it in. MW3 really seemed to have the issue of a different person doing their own little bit (that's why some life paths seemed to be wildly out of scale with the others I believe).

I'm not even sure if the language is mentioned in their writeup in FM:Warden Clans.
I read the FM:WC CGS entry before asking this. There is no mention of it at all.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

20th Militia

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: 04 February 2011, 21:31:55 »
My best guess would be lots of portmanteaus, either of (Star League) English or Russian phrases.  Quicker to say in the heat of battle, and given the clans non-use of abbreviations (with a few exceptions) if might take a non-Scorpion a minute to figure out what imhevlas (improved heavy laser) means.
"You and your puppet Kerensky ought to be pleased that I had a miserable time on that Davion tub coming here. Davion ships are as badly serviced as a Kurita brothel and as ugly as a Capellan whore, eh, gentlemen? Oh, but of course Lady Steiner wouldn't know about such things."
-Ewan Marik (Handbook: House Marik)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 05 February 2011, 08:08:09 »
I read the FM:WC CGS entry before asking this. There is no mention of it at all.

In that case, its probably the sole invention of whoever did the writeup for the Goliath Scorpions in the MW3rd Era. A little bonus that made sense to them, that didn't really change or abrogate anything.

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 05 February 2011, 20:30:09 »
It adds a bit of color, I like it. I kinda hope it gets another mention in a future sourcebook somewhere.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #21 on: 06 February 2011, 03:12:45 »
Considering MWGttC was published 3 years after FM:WC and has a different line developer, the after-the-fact mention of the Scorpions' battle language doesn't surprise me.

Author Page
Official Website

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #22 on: 06 February 2011, 05:14:56 »
I always figured the "Battle Language" was a reference to Dune.
I mean, think about how Necrosia is kind of like drinking the Water of Life, and
the Scorpions have not built up their holdings as much as other clans, being semi-nomadic
within them....And Fremen Battle Language, IIRC, was actually a key factor somewhere in
there...
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 06 February 2011, 18:18:40 »
That's pretty cool, I never thought about them from that angle before.

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #24 on: 06 February 2011, 23:01:48 »
Fedaykin FTW!

Does this also imply that Goliath Scorpions call burrocks and ride them across the desert?

Author Page
Official Website

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #25 on: 07 February 2011, 00:30:40 »
Fedaykin FTW!

Does this also imply that Goliath Scorpions call burrocks and ride them across the desert?

No....but that would be AWESOME 11M!
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #26 on: 16 February 2011, 20:46:33 »
So, I was re-reading the Wolf Clan Sourcebook, and I came across a more specific mention of Clan battle language.  Check the sidebar about Clan Star League-era English, on the page that lists all 20 Clans (I don't have the book sitting right in front of me).  I'm guessing the Goliath Scorpion Battle Language is just so radically different from the one the other Clans use, which is why it got its own specific mention.

Author Page
Official Website

Register