Author Topic: The Capellan-Kurita War  (Read 3098 times)

Imperium

• Sergeant
  • Politics by Other Means
The Capellan-Kurita War
« on: 12 June 2020, 23:53:23 »
If for some reason House Davion proves too weak to really defend itself, and these two Empires collide, face to face, Hidden Lion Regiments against Sword of Light, who comes out on top and how will it play out? How different are their styles of battle? How violent and destructive and ruthless may it get between these two, up until now, never in prolonged contact Successor States?

I see it like this: Liao launches terrorist attacks, Kurita starts mass murdering response, Liao does more terrorist attacks and assassinations, Kurita goes mass destruction, Liao gets even crazier, Kurita goes genocidal, Liao goes genocidal - the War to End All Wars (at least on a Neolithic level. ) So many more mysterious planets lost in war for future conspiracy plots available.

Okay so yes or no.

Will Nukes be used?

Bio-Weapons?

Chemical weapons?

How effective will Human Rights Activists be?

Will Secret Police or Espionage Forces take a role?

Will sides choose to ally with outside factions?

Since the Clans are all going for Terra, and the Republic is on the defensive, what will the Lyrans and Free World's League be doing? I guess with Ghost Bear Buffer, the Lyrans will be less connected to the Capellan-Kurita War then the Mariks.

How crazy and creative and brutal will the mutual atrocities get - most done of course, in the name of "honor" and "duty" to a "Greater Good"?
« Last Edit: 13 June 2020, 00:02:37 by Imperium »
" ALL WAR, is an extension of Politics." Carl Von Clausewitz, summarizing the Napoleonic Wars

"War therefore is an act of violence intended to compel our opponent to fulfil our will." Clausewitz, Ibid.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: The Capellan-Kurita War
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2020, 10:41:20 »
What point are you postulating this happens?  In SW1 they bumped into each other IIRC . . . and they are close (if not already, I cannot remember) now to bumping into each other as they take Davion & Republic worlds in the 40s.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2020, 14:08:43 »
What point are you postulating this happens?  In SW1 they bumped into each other IIRC . . . and they are close (if not already, I cannot remember) now to bumping into each other as they take Davion & Republic worlds in the 40s.
They fought on Northwind, but I think that's it in the Dark Age
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Imperium

• Sergeant
  • Politics by Other Means
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2020, 04:46:09 »
What point are you postulating this happens?

How much destruction would ensue? Would WMDs be used?
" ALL WAR, is an extension of Politics." Carl Von Clausewitz, summarizing the Napoleonic Wars

"War therefore is an act of violence intended to compel our opponent to fulfil our will." Clausewitz, Ibid.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2020, 00:54:19 »
Both of them are stretched too thin to credibly launch a major war against each other.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2020, 11:27:09 »
How much destruction would ensue? Would WMDs be used?

This depends, are you talking about the 1SW brushes?  Or are you talking about Dark Ages?  1SW has been spelled out in the appropriate sourcebooks, Shattered Fortress spells it out for Dark Age with as MLO4H says both are more concentrated dealing with the Davions and resurgent Republic.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

James Bedford

• Private
  • Clan Spirit Cat Seyla!
    • OH and MD Mechwarrior group
« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2020, 10:55:12 »
I think in all likelihood, the Capellans and Draconis Combine would settle for a border with minor raids, if House Davion was absorbed between the two.  The Capellans would be more interested in their FWL border and the Draconis Combine would have to worry about the Ghost Bear Dominion.  As is often the case with two similar war crimes-friendly powers, they would probably reach a 'détente.

Of course, we have to see what the IlClan Era brings, as having a powerful Clan Military at the center of the Inner Sphere will change a lot of calculations.
Clan Spirit Cat Seyla!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #7 on: 27 June 2020, 13:01:01 »
Philosophically, The Capellan Confederation is more focused on reclaiming historical territories than fighting the Dracs, & despite the Combine's declared purpose being the conquest of all space they're sharp enough to know mopping up the Davions is a better use of energy than starting a fresh conflict with the largest current Great House military. I have no doubt that an all-out conflict between the Confederation & Combine would be extraordinarily brutal, but it's also one both would most likely kick down the road.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 27 June 2020, 13:34:14 »
Philosophically, the Capellans regard the entire Inner Sphere as future ex-Capellan worlds that need to be liberated.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 27 June 2020, 13:45:06 »
Philosophically, the Capellans regard the entire Inner Sphere as future ex-Capellan worlds that need to be liberated.
   :thumbsup: ;D :thumbsup:
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 27 June 2020, 14:33:07 »
Philosophically, The Capellan Confederation is more focused on reclaiming historical territories than fighting the Dracs, & despite the Combine's declared purpose being the conquest of all space they're sharp enough to know mopping up the Davions is a better use of energy than starting a fresh conflict with the largest current Great House military. I have no doubt that an all-out conflict between the Confederation & Combine would be extraordinarily brutal, but it's also one both would most likely kick down the road.
“Historical territories” that were never part of the CC, like New Syrtis.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2020, 12:21:49 »
“Historical territories” that were never part of the CC, like New Syrtis.

When a viper's been threatening your family for years, sometimes you just have to cut off its head in the interest of your own self-preservation. The Federated Suns has re-claimed it now. Maybe they should reflect on how they arrived at needing to do so.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 28 June 2020, 12:37:29 »

That might have been Sun-Tzu's philosophy, but from what I've read of Daoshen, I don't think that's his major motivator when it comes to warfare and conquest.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 28 June 2020, 13:01:57 »
That might have been Sun-Tzu's philosophy, but from what I've read of Daoshen, I don't think that's his major motivator when it comes to warfare and conquest.

Is that why Daoshen agreed to a cease-fire with the Federated Suns & nearly agreed to another after the loss of New Syrtis? Is that why he arranged an alliance with the Combine against the Republic? No, the restoration of the Confederation still rests at the heart of everything our current Chancellor does, he is simply more willing in these chaotic times to strike out to eliminate threats beyond our traditional borders.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 28 June 2020, 14:18:40 »
Is that why Daoshen agreed to a cease-fire with the Federated Suns & nearly agreed to another after the loss of New Syrtis? Is that why he arranged an alliance with the Combine against the Republic? No, the restoration of the Confederation still rests at the heart of everything our current Chancellor does, he is simply more willing in these chaotic times to strike out to eliminate threats beyond our traditional borders.

Wait, just to clear things up before we get into this, is this gonna be a LARP-off or an OOU discussion?
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 28 June 2020, 15:14:18 »
B framed as A because I'm silly like that. ;D

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 28 June 2020, 15:54:00 »

Because while he's a poster child for the way that insanity practically gallops in the Liao family, even he's not crazy enough to keep fighting a war on one front while another one is coming in hard on a different front.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 28 June 2020, 15:56:19 »
I have been wondering if it was proof that Daoshen knew of the condition of Caleb, and sought to exploit it to its maximum potential. Julian presented a problem, because he was a competent foe. The failure of the CCAF to eliminate Julian may cause great turmoil for the Confederation in the future.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #18 on: 11 July 2020, 10:49:35 »
Daoshen's got a bogeyman problem with Stone and to a lesser extent the Republic- which is where he holds to Sunny's restoration dream- since he wants to restore the Tikonov and Terra-ward Commonalities.

But Shattered Fortress, Greywatch Protocol, and other bits of fiction show that rather than restore the CC to its former boundaries (no matter how imaginary they are like Chesterton) he seeks to claim Terra to be the 'leader' of all mankind.
Colt Ward

Guardsman

• Captain
  • Sang-wei Christopher Vose
« Reply #19 on: 12 July 2020, 02:16:50 »
   :thumbsup: ;D :thumbsup:

When the Chancellor deems these worlds worthy of entry into the Capellan Confederation, they will be liberated. Until that time has come, they must be patient.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
You will live on forever,
So long as the internet exists,
We shall remember you, Albatross.
1st Chesterton Guards
Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical
100% Strength | 100% Upgraded

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 13 July 2020, 15:01:06 »
Sadly, he's far too focused on the front and not the knife about to plunge into his back.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.