Author Topic: Mech of the Week: DVS- Devastator  (Read 29722 times)

Darkwing

• Corporal
Re: Mech of the Week: DVS- Devastator
« Reply #30 on: 06 September 2017, 09:05:39 »
But DOES the Devastator consistently give a good accouting of itself against opponents like Dire Wolves, Turkinas, and Hellstars?

cheers,

Gabe

Yeah it does, even more so when you take into account the inner Sphere views war as a team sport. A Devastator in the back, with practically anything else running interference and you have a good chance. You are never going to get a 1:1 against a 100 ton Clan Machine, but the Devastator is probably as close as you can get given the tech curve. I am surprised, given its backstory as a mech designed by the Great Father, I thought we would see this as IIC. I suppose for damage potential a Hellstar is a Devastator IIC.....
''Do not judge yourself by the friends you have, but by the enemies you make.'' - Jerome Blake

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 06 September 2017, 11:04:15 »
If you really want to go up against clantech you'd do better to drop the MLs for more heatsinks and upgrade to ERPPCs, but it's still decently optimized.

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #32 on: 08 September 2017, 09:21:01 »
I've always loved the Devastator.  If I were a mechwarrior in the BattleTech universe, from the inner sphere, the Devastator or the Nightstar would be the mechs I would want.
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 08 September 2017, 14:47:59 »
Excellent writeup of an excellent machine. The Devastator truly lives up to its name and never fails to be an MVP when deployed in any of my games. Pilot motto: Stand and Deliver!

It certainly has been a beast in games i've ran against them.  Never played with one on my side of the field though.

Anyone else feel like the DVS-2 is a souped-up Warhammer?  It even looks kinda like one, with the arms and the searchlight.

The first time i saw it, i did think it looked like a heavier warhammer..  And in practicality it works like one too..

If you really want to go up against clantech you'd do better to drop the MLs for more heatsinks and upgrade to ERPPCs, but it's still decently optimized.

That is true.  Even just dropping 2 of the MLs for 2 more heat sinks but making them all doubles, while upping the peepers to ER models, gives a boost in range..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #34 on: 09 September 2017, 11:59:23 »

Picture the scene:  Terra burns, Amaris and his Rim World Republican Guard are fighting for survival against a vengeful Star League, and from out of the smoke of the battlefield, titans of war stride, the ultimate assault lance.

At their head, a solid wedge of armour bearing two AC-20 Autocannons, designed to slay opposing mechs as quickly as possible.  The indomitable King Crab shoulders through the enemies heaviest fire and guts mechs in one massive salvo.  Following behind, standing tall and shrouded in smoke like a pair of grim reapers, come the Atlas II’s.  Any mech opened up by the King Crab gets shredded by missiles, LBX-pellets and burned down by lasers.  Finally, standing on the ridge line behind, laying down a hail of murderous long range gauss and PPC fire, the Devastator stands watch.  Four hundred tons of fusion powered death machine, all designed by or designed for Aleksandr Kerensky.

Wouldn't the fourth of that quartet actually be the original Titan?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #35 on: 09 September 2017, 15:20:25 »
Devastator, my go-to Mech.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 11 September 2017, 10:47:36 »
Wouldn't the fourth of that quartet actually be the original Titan?

cheers,

Gabe

Actually, if memory serves, doesn't the original TRO:3058 fluff mention something about the Devastator being derived from the Titan in some way?  They're both 100 tons and sport a standard PPC in each side torso, but the similarities pretty much end there, since the Titan is a rather low-tech affair that concentrates on a short-range barrage, in contrast to the Devastator, with its advanced tech and clearly ranged fighting paradigm.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 11 September 2017, 11:07:49 »
The 1D may be one of the best flavor additions to the Davion roster.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #38 on: 11 September 2017, 13:54:45 »
Actually, if memory serves, doesn't the original TRO:3058 fluff mention something about the Devastator being derived from the Titan in some way?  They're both 100 tons and sport a standard PPC in each side torso, but the similarities pretty much end there, since the Titan is a rather low-tech affair that concentrates on a short-range barrage, in contrast to the Devastator, with its advanced tech and clearly ranged fighting paradigm.

cheers,

Gabe
Grand Titan is variant of Titan, as well is Titan II is later variant of the Titan.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #39 on: 11 September 2017, 21:35:57 »
Actually, if memory serves, doesn't the original TRO:3058 fluff mention something about the Devastator being derived from the Titan in some way? 
Kerensky designed the Devastator to make up for the flaws of the Titan.  What those flaws might have been, who knows.  I find the Titan to be a pretty decent design aside from mixing in that SRM-6.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #40 on: 11 September 2017, 21:53:24 »
damage at long range would be my guess. the original SLDF titan had 2 PPC's for long range, but that was about it. the rest was (an impressive amount of) medium lasers and SRM's. so beyond 9 hexes, the original Titan would have been less than impressive for its size.

the SLDF Devestator cranked the long range up to 11 with the twin gauss and the 2 PPC's.

ultimately they'd be complimentary designs.. the Titan does best up close where it's 4 ML's, and 22 SRM's can put a lot of hurt on an enemy, while the Devastator is a nightmare at long range, but has limited close range firepower thanks to minimum ranges on its big guns, and only having 3 forward lasers for close range.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #41 on: 11 September 2017, 22:01:39 »
Yeah . . . honestly the original Titan is a fat Battlemaster, it would be good in a SLDF Assault lance where the other 3 mechs were . . . Thunderhawk, Devastator and Emperor 6A . . . 2 long range BFG sets, a mid range critseeker or can opener and then up close light show that pitches missiles.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 13 September 2017, 10:30:33 »
damage at long range would be my guess. the original SLDF titan had 2 PPC's for long range, but that was about it. the rest was (an impressive amount of) medium lasers and SRM's. so beyond 9 hexes, the original Titan would have been less than impressive for its size.

the SLDF Devestator cranked the long range up to 11 with the twin gauss and the 2 PPC's.

ultimately they'd be complimentary designs.. the Titan does best up close where it's 4 ML's, and 22 SRM's can put a lot of hurt on an enemy, while the Devastator is a nightmare at long range, but has limited close range firepower thanks to minimum ranges on its big guns, and only having 3 forward lasers for close range.

In (retconned) context, the Titan is also the kind of machine the SLDF would be forced to cobble together during the years when they were without access to the major factories and main supply bases in the Amaris-controlled Hegemony.  The Titan could be built by a member-state factory that didn't have access to all of the top-tier military tech, while the Devastator is a Cadillac machine that would almost certainly have needed a Hegemony-grade facility to build.

cheers,

Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #43 on: 14 September 2017, 00:18:03 »
The Titan could be built by a member-state factory that didn't have access to all of the top-tier military tech, while the Devastator is a Cadillac machine that would almost certainly have needed a Hegemony-grade facility to build.

That is a fairly good point.  My personal sadness is that they didn't adapt the other versions of the Btechnology Titan into canon.  The 3145 versions are close enough, but not identical to the other high tech versions found in that publication.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #44 on: 14 September 2017, 05:39:27 »
Kerensky designed the Devastator to make up for the flaws of the Titan.  What those flaws might have been, who knows.  I find the Titan to be a pretty decent design aside from mixing in that SRM-6.
If that's the case, then the Devastator's flaws is close-in Combat. The medium lasers aren't enough if someone get's close a personal with the Mech. It's firepower may fair somewhat well until someone comes in to it's minimum ranges.  I've seen this happened with the Devastator and it's spiritual SLDF Gauss Rifle flinging cousin, the Thunderhawk.  Both get into trouble when someone close-in with the Mech.

That be said, no mech suppose to be perfect.  That's why you have lancemates or designated body guards such as Shootist or some other close-in fighter to cover your weak spots.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2024, 00:35:32 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #45 on: 14 September 2017, 11:59:02 »
I've seen it too, but not many mechs can pull it off, or it can't be done in too many terrain types.  Sure, you can get a really tough fast mech in close, and if it's a really high end mech (Clan especially, like a Stormcrow B or Gargoyle C) it might have enough power to hack into the side torsos before either the Devastator or it's lance mates bring the fool down, which needs to be damn fast because the first turn the Devastator wins int it just walks back three hexes and fires the big guns at short range with no mods. 

In tight terrain, you can get a King Crab or Sagitire or Kodiak or Turkina D in close, with the power to just blow the damn thing to hell free and clear.  It's easier for the jumpers, of course, and an ultra high end Clan mech like a Dire Wolf C can just shoot it's way in close, but for a King Crab or Hunchback you need just the right terrain, and if one takes a Devastator into terrain where that can take place, then they deserve what they get.

Honestly, I think the minimum ranges on PPCs and GRs are more dangerous to opponents than to the mechs that wield them.  I've killed more mechs with Awesomes who thought they could get in and exploit my minimums, than with foes who thought they could stand back and slug it out (though granted no one imagines they can just slug it out with an Awesome).
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #46 on: 14 September 2017, 14:56:38 »
To be honest, the Devastator isn't that vulnerable close up.  It's looking at a maximum of +2 to hit with the GRs and +3 with the PPCs.  That's easily doable with a good gunner (and it's not like you'd typically assign a novice to one).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 14 September 2017, 18:52:15 »
Yeah, but on the flipside, if you are fighting a Devastator, you would know that, and make sure to send an equally-skilled pilot(s) to take out such a key enemy piece.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #48 on: 15 September 2017, 05:35:17 »
To be honest, the Devastator isn't that vulnerable close up.  It's looking at a maximum of +2 to hit with the GRs and +3 with the PPCs.  That's easily doable with a good gunner (and it's not like you'd typically assign a novice to one).

If close in attacks are a problem, I could see swapping a PPC for a Large Pulse Laser. After the Jihad, maybe a Snub nose ppc?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #49 on: 15 September 2017, 06:18:32 »
If close in attacks are a problem, I could see swapping a PPC for a Large Pulse Laser. After the Jihad, maybe a Snub nose ppc?

I like that idea.  You won't be giving up too much firepower in exchange for better means of close range attacks.  I will have to play with it seem if you can both the standards and the snubbies on with the gausses.

I hope the DVS-10 doesn't cut remove the PPCs for the RE-Lasers. It be almost a setback to be coming a DVS-1Dr than a newer model. ReEngineering Lasers i think could be useful, but i don't think they'd be good if it was main weaponry for a Mech like the Devastator.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2024, 00:37:59 by Wrangler »

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 11 November 2017, 20:30:50 »
Excellent writeup of an excellent machine. The Devastator truly lives up to its name and never fails to be an MVP when deployed in any of my games. Pilot motto: Stand and Deliver!

Did the clans ever produce this?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #51 on: 11 November 2017, 20:50:03 »
No, the Clans never produced the Devastator.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #52 on: 11 November 2017, 21:04:32 »
No, the Clans never produced the Devastator.

Not to the best of our knowledge.  But they DID bring some along during the Exodus, and they DID use them during Operation Klondike.  So it's not impossible for one to be stuck in some Brian Cache somewhere, solahma forces, yada yada.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #53 on: 11 November 2017, 21:50:50 »
I don't see those minimum ranges as an issue.
4 ML might not seem much but it matches the firepower of the 2 PPC while a 20 point kick more than matches a Gauss.
Tangle with that at your peril.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 11 November 2017, 22:31:23 »
Yep, charge up close..into the increasingly more accurate fire form the heravy weapons..then enter the short range of the Ml's..then maybe get a kick in the process. And the Devastator can be multitasking and shifting Gauss fire to another target  Or just shoots you anyway--after all, if he can hit a target at medium range he can hit someone up close as well). Dropping the PPC's out of the circuit every other round, and he doesnt even break a sweat. Heck, hes keeping the beer cold.

If you want to dance up close, you need to be a mobile jumper, making sure you keep out of that kick arc, preferably out of the front arc completely. Make him dance, or move to protect himself and thus take his firepower off the rest of your force. Expecting a slow slugger assault to bully his way up to a Devastator is just going to get you one dead slugger.

My Devastator usually hans with some other long range bruises, but theres always an element wth short range capability in case someone feels froggy. A Stalker 7D often fills this roll. 4 medium pulses and a TC makes even an agile light jumper sweat getting close in. And for those far away, it supports the Devastator with very accurate TC guided ER PPC fire.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 12 November 2017, 12:12:47 »
A Stalker 7D often fills this roll. 4 medium pulses and a TC makes even an agile light jumper sweat getting close in. And for those far away, it supports the Devastator with very accurate TC guided ER PPC fire.
I also find things with old school AC's loaded w/ Precision Ammo to be VERY effective at keeping backstabbers away.
Victor-9B,  Rifleman-3C,  Demolisher,  Saladins.
You don't even need every bin, just enough for a few rounds & its normally quite effective as a deterrent to those flankers.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #56 on: 12 November 2017, 14:43:45 »
I also find things with old school AC's loaded w/ Precision Ammo to be VERY effective at keeping backstabbers away.
Victor-9B,  Rifleman-3C,  Demolisher,  Saladins.
You don't even need every bin, just enough for a few rounds & its normally quite effective as a deterrent to those flankers.
This partially why I wish the 1D variant was canonically refitted by the Taurians for Dark Age use. 

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 18 November 2017, 14:30:37 »
This partially why I wish the 1D variant was canonically refitted by the Taurians for Dark Age use.

My GM used to have a great set up as a "GoalKeeper" for a Breakthrough scenario.

Level-1 Annihilator with all Precision Ammo.

Sure, its only 5 Shots per Gun.

But after the enemy has run the gauntlet against your own mobile forces,  to have to get past that thing with the near equivalent of 4 Clan LPL's was just enough to stop many of the mechs from getting off the end of the board as that 10 point hit will de-leg a lot of fast light mechs  >:D

anastrace

• Corporal
« Reply #58 on: 22 December 2017, 20:50:54 »
I've lost a couple devastators (that name is incredibly accurate as well) in close combat, primarily because of jumpy backstabbers getting lucky on rear torso crits. There was one incident involving a hidden SRM Carrier that was...unfortunate. Of course, I've also kicked enough mechs and vehicles attempting it into scrap. The to hit mods aren't god awful at point blank either even inside the minimums.

If I ever modded one, it'd be for capacitor modded snub nose particle cannons, or scrap a medium or two for some rockets for point blank defense. It's one of the few mechs where I've never really had to tinker with it, as it works pretty dang great as it is.
Missiles, how do they work? (Seriously, guided bottle rockets?)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #59 on: 04 August 2020, 15:09:13 »
We finally got a Clan based Devastator that people have been looking for . . .

A handful of DVS-2 were built for Operation Klondike using improved Gauss Rifles so that they were able to carry 2 more tons of ammo, another ton of armor and a single med laser.  With the six prototypes the SLDF took with them, it offers a max of 11 IMO for the Clans to use . . . I would expect the Jaguars, Coyotes, and Adders to be the Clans most expected to have used them.  After Klondike, the Enhanced ERPPC were incorporated into the design along with Clan DHS to increase the sinking capacity- and unlike Omnis TPTB put the DHS in the feet to let it alpha if it was standing in a puddle.  We get the RS for this post-Klondike model, which seems to have removed the additional ammo and 3 medium lasers removed while the last 2 become ER.

The thing about the DVS-2-EC?  You get 4 chances to to get a headcap for 16 turns . . . if you are standing in that puddle, it can be putting out 68 points of damage in 15/12/7 point chunks.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."