Author Topic: VotW: Kruger Combat Car  (Read 10140 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: VotW: Kruger Combat Car
« Reply #30 on: 16 January 2015, 07:31:54 »
Okay, now I want a Super Kruger . . . 15 tons, still goes 7/11 but you get a bit more tonnage on that larger frame to play with . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #31 on: 16 January 2015, 07:44:40 »
Okay, now I want a Super Kruger . . . 15 tons, still goes 7/11 but you get a bit more tonnage on that larger frame to play with . . .

Beware... such size-creep results in weird issues like the Shandra.  ^-^
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #32 on: 16 January 2015, 07:59:42 »
I just want have a Kruger for npc, have it name the vehicle "Freddy".
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 16 January 2015, 10:57:17 »
Beware... such size-creep results in weird issues like the Shandra.  ^-^

Or the Fox Hover Scout

and the 45 ton Ranger IFV
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #34 on: 16 January 2015, 11:28:33 »
You could swap the engine for a 60-rated engine (Urbie salvage!) at no change in tonnage, right? Or am I doing the math wrong?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #35 on: 16 January 2015, 11:52:55 »
Or the Fox Hover Scout

and the 45 ton Ranger IFV

Hey, at least those look like they could justify the weight- I mean, the Fox has a full shell of armor over itself, and the Ranger looks like it could be a bit beefy, perhaps. But the Shandra? Man, I laughed like hell when I started that article and saw the weight.  :D

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 16 January 2015, 12:19:07 »
Hey, at least those look like they could justify the weight- I mean, the Fox has a full shell of armor over itself, and the Ranger looks like it could be a bit beefy, perhaps. But the Shandra? Man, I laughed like hell when I started that article and saw the weight.  :D

Oh, oh, I get it.

You mean like the Rotunda....

"Dad, why is that car bigger than your pickup truck?"

"Shut up son, it's not polite to point at the undercover SLDF agents."
-Joel BC-

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #37 on: 16 January 2015, 13:01:49 »
Oh, oh, I get it.

Exactly. Another excellent example, too- sure, everyone else's cars are a ton, two at the most, but here comes Bob in his 'sports car', breaking the concrete as he pulls up to the red light... Act casual, Bob.  ;)

+Crow T. Robot+

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #38 on: 16 January 2015, 16:36:30 »
I'm pretty sure that's the real reason the Star League pushed to introduce civil infrastructure that can handle having ProtoMechs and battle armor - even ultra Protos! - casually leaping onto rooftops.  You do that to a McDonalds and Ronald is going to be digging his Happy Meal toys out with a backhoe.  BT light buildings?  "Police?  The Svartalfas are up on my roof again!  I don't care if they are armed, you promised they wouldn't disturb my plants!"

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 16 January 2015, 19:35:29 »
Oh, oh, I get it.

20 tons IIRC.  That makes it a commercial truck weight, say about a semi-tractor range?

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 16 January 2015, 20:13:19 »
You could swap the engine for a 60-rated engine (Urbie salvage!) at no change in tonnage, right? Or am I doing the math wrong?
Correct. 50, 55 and 60 all weight the same.

Personally I'd like a budget spotter with a 60 FCE, TAG and Magshots! :)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 17 January 2015, 00:16:00 »
Okay, I know it's not meant for combat and all, but I really think that at the lowest level, these could serve well as the "heavy firepower" for an infantry unit.  Say a company of infantry in APCs with a platoon of Krugers to provide some stiffening and longer-range fire.  As long as you're facing infantry, some BA, light vehicles, the occasional bug mech, you oughta take no more than acceptable losses.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #42 on: 17 January 2015, 00:36:58 »
Actually . . . any chance the Hell's Horses might still have a few of these from Star League days?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 17 January 2015, 00:52:32 »
Okay, I know it's not meant for combat and all

Yes, yes it was. If you go read that geocities link you'll see my original magazine article. I wrote that in an era where SL Tech was very new concept. In straight 3025 era something that moved 7/11 and could do 10 points of damage was impressive. And in the pre-BV era of tonnage battles you could take two of these for one Wasp.

Changes in rules (vehicles are more vulnerable than they used to be and the spread of modern technology has lessened their effectiveness, but the Kruger was designed for light duty combat.

Actually . . . any chance the Hell's Horses might still have a few of these from Star League days?

Completely possible. Remember the original one just had normal MLs.
-Joel BC-

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 17 January 2015, 01:57:19 »
I'm perfectly happy to issue errata on this one... It fits directly with the Kruger's originally intended role.

Yes, it works great as a recon tank. It was actually designed to get in and fight, just very limited in what it can and should engage. Yes, I did envision and I think even test a lance vs a bug lance back in the 90s when I designed this.
The problem is that it won't work. Towing the 35 ton wheeled trailers and the 10 ton tracked Ambush tralier the Kruger will be reduced to 2/3. The Mjolnir (35 ton tracked) and Stronghold (20 ton tracked) will both have it moving at a mere 1/2.

Now if there was a light wheeled trailer it might work, make sure the trailer weighs at least 11 tons but, other wise the speed will equal infinity (And even then the speed will be insane, a 10 ton wheeled tractor with a rating 50 engine pulling an 11 ton wheeled trailer generates 50 MP per turn, unless there's been an errata)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #45 on: 17 January 2015, 02:04:16 »
Not suggesting any of the current trailers would work . . . but something with some MRM10s and a ton of ammo, or even go 'Katyusha' and mix RL10s, 15s, 20s together still gives you a huge alpha strike then BA/Infantry and Krugers clean up whatever survives.

Making it meaner, a King Karnov could move six of these and 16 tons of whatever else to some place in the boonies for a strike- or pick up.
Colt Ward

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #46 on: 18 January 2015, 10:47:20 »
Well on the bright side, if the Kruger is towing Ambush trailer on a paved road, least it will gain little more MP for it's troubles of towing won't it? 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #47 on: 20 January 2015, 08:41:09 »
...right, so anyway. Thought occurred to me- would a Kruger with a pair of flamers be a useful thing for fast-moving incendiary work? Starting fires, getting infantry to that nice golden-brown crispy texture, etc.? I'm on the fence as to whether I like the idea or if I'm needing cold meds.

+Crow T. Robot+

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 20 January 2015, 11:52:24 »
Split the difference? 1 ER Medium and 1 ER Flamer?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 20 January 2015, 13:57:36 »
Probably overkill.  Use a Savannah Master of Gabriel with a single flamer instead.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 20 January 2015, 15:24:52 »
There is no such thing as overkill.
Use two ER Flamers.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Cybra

• Corporal
« Reply #51 on: 22 January 2015, 05:43:03 »
 The Kruger can pull upto 2.5 tons at 4/6 (5/8 on roads), or it can pull upto 10 tons at 3/5 (4/6 on roads). You can make a 2.5t trailer with 1 RL10 for just under 26k. Give it 2 hitches and the kruger can pull upto 4...

Or a 10t trailer with 4x RL20 and a RL 15 for under 250k

Who's up for a game of duck, duck, goose... >:D >:D  O:-)