Author Topic: BattleChat - 20. X. 2012 (first)  (Read 36352 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: BattleChat - 20. X. 2012 (first)
« Reply #180 on: 26 October 2012, 13:54:33 »
<Spaceman1>: What can we expect in the upcoming intro box set?
<Habeas2>: Spaceman1 - For the time being, we just have the one introductory box set. A second one is being planned for the launch of our 3250 setting, but its exact contents are still open to discussion. One goal is to make it friendlier to newer players by using a more streamlined gameplay system.
<Spaceman1>: Does that mean there will be a revision to the core TW rules or will that just for the 3250 intro box set?
<martian>: In the Intro Box were Introductory Rules, in which only armor (without chassis) counts? Those rules were quite simple.
<Habeas2>: Martian - Was that question?
<martian>: Yes. Or you were interested in more simplistic rules than Introductory for the 3250 Box Set?
<Habeas2>: Martian - Yes.
<Habeas2>: Spaceman1 - We'll probably have to think long and hard about any revisions to the core books after the introduction of the 3250 setting, but that's for 2015.

This.  If there is a simplified ruleset in the 3250 box set - is it meant for experience players?  Or not?  Will a revision be worth buying another $70 book?  Or two?

Please don't ask too much. I'm getting the distinct impression I've hit the limit on how much I can reveal about what's coming more than a year down the line... And I wouldn't want to incite any more "panic"....

Herb, you evil, evil, man.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #181 on: 26 October 2012, 14:16:41 »
And I wouldn't want to incite any more "panic"....

Sorry, but that I do not believe you  (after so long a working day reading the fans`assumptions may be your best chill-out) ;)
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #182 on: 26 October 2012, 20:32:14 »
Either that or it triggers a coronary.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #183 on: 28 October 2012, 02:39:40 »
This.  If there is a simplified ruleset in the 3250 box set - is it meant for experience players?  Or not?  Will a revision be worth buying another $70 book?  Or two?
The key word here is that it's an introductory boxed set. I'm sure it'll have some stuff in it that more experienced players might want, most likely the story fluff, but I doubt the rules will be the main drawn.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #184 on: 28 October 2012, 16:45:45 »
Herb mentioned that an XTRO had been completed in this chat, do people think it was Phantoms or another XTRO?

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #185 on: 28 October 2012, 21:38:52 »
The key word here is that it's an introductory boxed set. I'm sure it'll have some stuff in it that more experienced players might want, most likely the story fluff, but I doubt the rules will be the main drawn.

Yeah, I got that - I'm hoping to find that they included new minis for the period (I heard '3rd Star League' bandied around on another forum)!  But, since those are streamlined to attract new players, what about the veteran player?  Herb already said they would think long and hard before committing to revisions of the current Core Rulebooks - will those streamlined rules be everything we need to play in the new era?
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #186 on: 28 October 2012, 22:56:00 »
I don't see why TW would stop being relevant.  Surely movement would be handled the same way, surely weapons fire will be handled the same way.  What will be different is specific equipment.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #187 on: 29 October 2012, 17:16:25 »
I don't see why TW would stop being relevant.  Surely movement would be handled the same way, surely weapons fire will be handled the same way.  What will be different is specific equipment.

...Then, surely, adding the new weapons, tables, and equipment to BOTH TM and TW would be a no-brainer.  How else would Catalyst interest new players to play in the 2014 (then current) setting?  I have to agree about the movement, firing, and all the other details already covered by those books, but Herb said they would consider revisions in 2015.

It seems to me that introducing rules (beyond the streamlined box set ones, I mean) is going to be a little bit of a catch-22.
  • New (and old) players will want to play in the current setting.
  • Old players will have earlier editions of TM, TW, TO, SO, and maybe IO to refer to.  They won't have any references to the new Era.
    • New players will want to buy revised editions relevant to 3520.
      • According to Herb, revisions are't guaranteed and the earliest they might appear would be 2015.

So.

I foresee a 'temporary' manual coming out.  Something along the lines of 'Maximum Tech' - perhaps a fairly thick manual in the box set itself.  Comments, suggestions?

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #188 on: 29 October 2012, 21:09:04 »
A lot of rules end up posted in the sourcebooks only to be written into the next rulebook revision.  I expect it to happen that way for 3250; they will probably add rules for the new equipment to field manual 250 or Era report 3250 along with modifications to the current equipment to make it obsolete (I am expecting stuff like regular ACs getting a BAR reduction against new armor like rifle cannons have now, etc.) and then incorporate the new stuff into the core rulebooks when they get around to updating them.

By a similar token, I expect stuff like what's been featured in the Wars of Reaving and these latest Jihad books (CASPAR, iATMs, interface cockpits, etc.) to make their way into the next revision of Tac Ops.
« Last Edit: 29 October 2012, 21:11:30 by BirdofPrey »

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #189 on: 29 October 2012, 22:59:40 »
Hello,

Please don't ask too much. I'm getting the distinct impression I've hit the limit on how much I can reveal about what's coming more than a year down the line... And I wouldn't want to incite any more "panic"....

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Great, now we are left out on a limb (again) and the branches are swaying violently as the panic sets in.  (Or is it just windy in parts of the world atm?)

What are the possibility of more 'Ben Rome WoR' style blogs as we get closer to 3250 product releases etc?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #190 on: 30 October 2012, 00:04:28 »
What are the possibility of more 'Ben Rome WoR' style blogs as we get closer to 3250 product releases etc?
Probably very small, since WoR was in the writing for years and was the work of one guy, effectively.  The other stuff is very much collaborative efforts and (aside from IO) not taking anywhere near as long, and any blogging like that would take away a lot since EVERYONE would have things to chime in on.
Great, now we are left out on a limb (again) and the branches are swaying violently as the panic sets in.
That's just Wunderstorm Sandy.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #191 on: 30 October 2012, 00:18:39 »
*Double checks things first*

@BirdofPrey, thanks to Randell we already know that IO will take technology as far forward as 3150, I see no reason that it won't also go as far as 3250, see here http://bg.battletech.com/?p=4258

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #192 on: 31 October 2012, 00:40:00 »
Probably very small, since WoR was in the writing for years and was the work of one guy, effectively.  The other stuff is very much collaborative efforts and (aside from IO) not taking anywhere near as long, and any blogging like that would take away a lot since EVERYONE would have things to chime in on.That's just Wunderstorm Sandy.

Yeah, Herb says things will be very hush-hush until the final DA books are released.  I suspect maybe a 1-3 month gap before the first 3520book gets released, but that's it.

*Double checks things first*

@BirdofPrey, thanks to Randell we already know that IO will take technology as far forward as 3150, I see no reason that it won't also go as far as 3250, see here http://bg.battletech.com/?p=4258

...Hmm.  Thanks!

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #193 on: 31 October 2012, 01:20:14 »
I suspect maybe a 1-3 month gap before the first 3520book gets released, but that's it.
...oh god another timeskip?!  DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
 ;D

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #194 on: 31 October 2012, 14:36:08 »
...oh god another timeskip?!  DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
 ;D

[wildandcrazy]

Talz

• Sergeant
« Reply #195 on: 31 October 2012, 23:01:47 »
...You know, some of these posts make me wonder - how will new rules be introduced?  Traditionally, we saw a new rulebook (Battletech Master Rulebook, Maximum Tech), but how will it be handled with the new Core Rulebook system?

Will I need to buy a new Era book, explaining how to play with 3250 tech?  I remember a poll I voted in about what goes into TROs, and I said 'No rules' - will I come to regret that, I wonder?  Whatever it is, please, PLEASE, don't tell me I'm going to need to buy another Core Book - they're really pretty,  but the $70 the last one cost had me telling every family member I wanted gift certificates from the FLGS.

If there's a tech jump I would hope and even expect the new tech would be included in Era Report 3250, TRO 3250 or the like.  The core rulebooks will be updated, it only makes sense, but if it makes you feel better I'd guess there's a good chance for any Total Warfare equivalent to remain below $50 due to it's lower page count (300ish) and higher volume.  The greater unknown and more interesting question IMO is how close will the next revision stick to TW?  TPTB have always been fairly conservative about rules changes though so while I expect plenty of general whining about the changes whatever they turn out to be this is to be expected and has been seen every other time the setting has moved forward.

1987 - Rules of Warfare - Ignoring this to have fun with numbers
1990 - Compendium
1998 - Master Rules
2006 - Total Warfare, 2008 2nd Printing, 2010 3rd Printing, etc
2014 would actually fit into a nice 8 year pattern for updating the 'core' gameplay rulebook.  Not saying it will happen, only the intro box has really been talked about, I just find the potential timing interesting.