Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 156129 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #1140 on: 03 October 2019, 17:17:20 »
Saw Ad Astra.  Its Apocalypse Now in space, basically. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1141 on: 04 October 2019, 00:07:08 »
Caught John wick 3.  Loved some of the battle scenes, but was very MORE so, rather far-fetched, than 1 or 2 were, in how the hell was he alive at the end..  Falling like he did, he should have broken BOTH HIS NECK AND BACK....
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1142 on: 05 October 2019, 19:54:27 »
Caught John wick 3.  Loved some of the battle scenes, but was very MORE so, rather far-fetched, than 1 or 2 were, in how the hell was he alive at the end..  Falling like he did, he should have broken BOTH HIS NECK AND BACK....
Well...maybe he's really in the Matrix
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1143 on: 05 October 2019, 23:54:45 »
Loved the final battle with Dacascoss..  And his two minions..

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1144 on: 06 October 2019, 05:50:41 »
I honestly found John Wick 3 to be rather dull and forgettable.

Pity really, I was mesmerised by John Wick, and entertained by John Wick 2, but number 3 just didn't do it for me.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1145 on: 06 October 2019, 09:35:11 »
I just like seeing the Chairman form Iron Chef fight John Wick...in John Wick 3.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #1146 on: 19 October 2019, 21:48:17 »
Raining all weekend so ended up watching Joker and Yesterday.

Joker: Not really a DC/superhero movie at all. Basically Taxi Driver with clowns. There're some scenes that are very good -- especially between the Joker and his social worker -- but the social commentary felt a little forced and tacked on, detracting from the main story.

Yesterday: Started off very funny and charming, but rather than explore the kinda gonzo premise (man wakes up after an accident in a world where the Beatles never existed) it focuses on the most predictable of love stories ever. Hm. Bit disappointed in director Danny Boyle here, too, as a lot of the shots and edits we're kinda artsy without any point -- let's shoot this scene at a 45 degree angle! Ok now slow motion! It's still kind of cozy, comfort viewing (and a good Joker antidote) but kind of forgettable.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1147 on: 19 October 2019, 23:08:06 »
Anna (2019).  Man was this a good movie.  The shuting back and forth in time, made it a slight bit disjointed, but the twists were all over the place..  LOVED it.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1148 on: 05 November 2019, 00:10:15 »
Anybody else catch "The King" on Netflix?

Thought it was a bit disappointing myself--basically it's an adaptation of Shakespeare's Henry IV (1 and 2) and Henry V that takes out all of Shakespeare's language and puts a couple of F-bombs in instead. Like, they sat down and decided that having the guy who played Tommen in Game of Thrones swearing would be a bigger draw than the "band of brothers" speech.

It's got an interesting cast, with Timothee Chamelet (Paul in the upcoming Dune movie), Krennic from Rogue One, Robert Pattinson of Twilight fame (infamy?) and Johnny Depp's daughter, but the whole exercise felt a bit lifeless to me. It's vaguely revisionist, portraying Henry's war with France as not the boy becoming a man and king, but rather boy continuing to be impulsive, selfish and self-indulgent. Not sure what poor ol' Hal has done to deserve such treatment, though.

There's an attempt at "grittiness" by slathering combatants in mud, but despite talking about strategy the battle unfolds like 10-year-olds playing rugby: everybody kind of runs into the middle of the field and falls over. I think Netflix's other recent period piece, "Outlaw King," was a lot more fun to watch and a better made movie.

Only high point was Pattinson, who was acting like he was in a Pink Panther movie: accent and acting totally over the top.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1149 on: 05 November 2019, 08:57:08 »
Rewatching the Indiana Jones movies. Not going to watch the most current one. The movie sparked a lot of debates like who would you rather go on a adventure with Indy Jones or Han Solo.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1150 on: 05 November 2019, 10:29:25 »
Rewatching the Indiana Jones movies. Not going to watch the most current one. The movie sparked a lot of debates like who would you rather go on a adventure with Indy Jones or Han Solo.
Oh, that's a hard question!

Saw Terminator: Dark Fate, and I was happy with it. 
Arnold's part was forced, but the rest worked well.  John is addressed.  Sarah Connor is the badass we remember from T2. The Rev 9, well, lets face it, they've been trying to top the T1000 since 1991, with no real succes, but the splitting thing makes for an interesting complication.  They don't really say what it buys them.  The nano-tech portion seems no more dangerous than the T1000, and the endo skeleton is just an endo skeleton.  It may be unobtanium alloy, but hit it hard enough, and it will break.

Grace and Sarah were a good combo on screen.
  Suffice to say, I was kinda surprised when I saw a youtube video titled, "Why Terminator: Dark Fate bombed!"  Especially since the video came out less than 24 hours after the movie.  They didn't even wait to see what the first weekend numbers looked like. Rush to judgement much?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1151 on: 05 November 2019, 11:06:49 »
Probably based on early premiere critics -but it's been out worldwide 2 weeks now

Metacritic score is low

And frankly a lot of people in my side are plain boycotting sequels of all franchises

And it seems to fall into the good old "AHA LOOK I SUBVERTED EXPECTATIONS! NOTICE ME SENPAI!"

amongst other things.

Edit: oh seems they project from opening weekend box office

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/terminator-dark-fate-box-office-bomb-100-million-1202187062/
« Last Edit: 05 November 2019, 11:20:29 by Kidd »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1152 on: 05 November 2019, 11:36:09 »
Projecting that movies you don't like are going to fail and posting negative reviews of them on Rotten Tomatoes two weeks before they hit the screen is a popular tradition these days.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1153 on: 05 November 2019, 11:53:02 »

Edit: oh seems they project from opening weekend box office

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/terminator-dark-fate-box-office-bomb-100-million-1202187062/
Yeah, but they were projecting based on opening weekend sales.... At 8am, on Saturday of opening weekend.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1154 on: 05 November 2019, 13:58:59 »
Yeah, but they were projecting based on opening weekend sales.... At 8am, on Saturday of opening weekend.
I don't know, were they? I know there's a whole mini-industry revolving around projecting box offices but I don't know jack about it.

Anyway.

The Lion King is my favourite Disney, hands down, bar none. Best story, best soundtrack, best songs, best voice cast. (Lilo and Stitch comes second.)

And Jon Favreau... man. Iron, Man. Designed the cookie template for most all of MCU moving forward, and who can't watch Chef without feeling good.

So I really, really, reeeeaaaallllyyyy wanted to like The Nnew Lion King. But.... beautiful CGI aside, it was underwhelming. I didn't want to feel any MORE sad about my defiled childhood cinema so I just put it out of my mind.

But well, the Honest Trailer just came out, and... it opened all them wounds afresh, man. See for yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67W7JCohZMo

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1155 on: 05 November 2019, 19:41:11 »
Re: Terminator Dark Fate, Box Office Mojo reports it's sitting at around $125M sales (vs. estimated production budget of $185M, not including marketing costs) as of November 4.
(https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releasegroup/gr2809221637/)

- US sales at $31M
- Other notable market is China, where it's been fairly popular, at close to $28M

Haven't seen the movie yet myself, but the "Half in the Bag" review by Red Letter Media was hilarious just for the opening five minutes, in which they try to explain the history of the franchise:
https://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-terminator-dark-fate/

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #1156 on: 08 November 2019, 13:54:27 »
Midway

Ugh, where do I even begin? It was either this or watch Terminator Dork Fate, so I figured a history lesson would be better. Bleech. The main character has a very funky accent (after researching it seems he's British- why couldnt they have hired an American actor instead?), and his scenes are very awkward and distracting. In fact the non-battle sequences are devoid of any drama and characterization that its all laughable.

The characters are all archetypes, and dont seem to be very realistic even though they are based on real life people. The script has no suspense or thrills- it seems more like a highlight reel of what happened on Pearl Harbor to the Battle of Midway. Even the Doolittle Raid takes up about five minutes- I think they included it because half the backers of this movie are Chinese.

All in all, I'd give it a 5/10- the 5 being for the battle scenes, even though they are unrealistic too.  ::)

The original Charlton Heston movie was better- if it only had better special effects like this one it would have been a classic.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1157 on: 08 November 2019, 15:07:27 »
So, wait till it hits DVD then.  Got it.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1158 on: 10 November 2019, 19:21:03 »
Midway

Ugh, where do I even begin? It was either this or watch Terminator Dork Fate, so I figured a history lesson would be better. Bleech. The main character has a very funky accent (after researching it seems he's British- why couldnt they have hired an American actor instead?), and his scenes are very awkward and distracting. In fact the non-battle sequences are devoid of any drama and characterization that its all laughable.

The characters are all archetypes, and dont seem to be very realistic even though they are based on real life people. The script has no suspense or thrills- it seems more like a highlight reel of what happened on Pearl Harbor to the Battle of Midway. Even the Doolittle Raid takes up about five minutes- I think they included it because half the backers of this movie are Chinese.

All in all, I'd give it a 5/10- the 5 being for the battle scenes, even though they are unrealistic too.  ::)

The original Charlton Heston movie was better- if it only had better special effects like this one it would have been a classic.

Was the Heston version the source that Nagumo had studied Halsey and was thrown for a loop when Spruance was in command?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1159 on: 10 November 2019, 19:51:11 »
Terminator: Dark Fate. 

Yeah....Repeating time travel stories make for weak franchises, especially with how the plot turned out.

About 20 minutes in I changed my expectation from action sci-fi to dark sci-fi comedy. 

So many missed chances for tech or time related upgrades or choices.  I remember some explanation why the time travellers can't bring stuff back, but they are so many wasted chances to introduce stuff from the future to the past, since it's going to happen anyways.  One thing time travel can't bar is memory.  Why not set up a cache or repository for the future?  And why not program the Terminators with energy based or derived weapons like a coil gun, plasma or laser extension?  If they can do melee, they should be able to have direct ranged attacks that would need a minimum amount of material from the terminator. 

Also, one thing that never is addressed that is completely capable of the higher end terminators, is that it should be able to subvert a earlier gen Terminator.  You melee a high end terminator with an older one and the higher end should be able to reprogram it at will, especially while very being grappled.  Even though Arnold may be an anomaly, there should have been something mentioned why the Ver9 couldn't interface with Arnold, especially with the ease the V9 was able to subvert the local internet.

I suppose Grace and the remains of the V9 and Arnie will provide the impetus for Legion, but....I can't get excited for a Terminator film anymore, as technology is moving fast enough to render moot much of what makes these films possible, even though the film touches on it briefly as well.

Overall, I did enjoy it, but I just had so many questions after.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1160 on: 10 November 2019, 22:21:14 »
Remember that in Terminator 3, the new villain robot had a plasma rifle and a flamethrower built into her arm. So there's already precedent.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1161 on: 10 November 2019, 22:58:00 »
And we all know how important stuff that happened in the last movie is to the Terminator franchise.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1162 on: 10 November 2019, 23:36:56 »
And looking up something random from T3: Rise of the Machines,  they did exactly all that I had questioned, when I was going over the trivia.  I guess whomever did Dark Fate didn't take notes from T3. 

Was Sgt. Candy's voice really Aahnald, or another actor completely? That was what I was looking for on IMDB.  Didn't see the answer though.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1163 on: 10 November 2019, 23:45:25 »
And we all know how important stuff that happened in the last movie is to the Terminator franchise.

Well, if they can send a metal robot back in time by wrapping it in skin, there's nothing stopping them from stuffing a gun into its abdomen. It's just a plot hole. Always has been.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #1164 on: 11 November 2019, 00:38:42 »
Was the Heston version the source that Nagumo had studied Halsey and was thrown for a loop when Spruance was in command?
No, in the Heston version the Japanese didnt even discuss Halsey or Spruance- they just went through the motions of attacking Midway and switching to bombs when the American carrier planes appeared.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1165 on: 11 November 2019, 08:42:16 »
No, in the Heston version the Japanese didnt even discuss Halsey or Spruance- they just went through the motions of attacking Midway and switching to bombs when the American carrier planes appeared.
Then where did I see that?  For some reason I'm associating it with something I watched in my grandparent's living room, but they didn't have cable so it would have been on 2-13. That rules out the Discovery channel.  National Geographic wasn't on during the day, and the only WWII program I ever remember watching at their house was the 1976 version of Midway. 

Have any documented sources suggested that the difference between Spruance and Halsey's command style had any effect on Japanese planning or am I remembering a myth?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1166 on: 11 November 2019, 10:18:20 »
I don't recall ever hearing anything like that.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #1167 on: 11 November 2019, 13:01:25 »
Then where did I see that?  For some reason I'm associating it with something I watched in my grandparent's living room, but they didn't have cable so it would have been on 2-13. That rules out the Discovery channel.  National Geographic wasn't on during the day, and the only WWII program I ever remember watching at their house was the 1976 version of Midway. 

Have any documented sources suggested that the difference between Spruance and Halsey's command style had any effect on Japanese planning or am I remembering a myth?

Patton maybe? I remember scenes in that movie with a German intel officer discussing Patton's psychological state and whether the Allies would give command to him for the Normandy Invasion or not.  :)

As far as the Pacific War, I dont recall reading or seeing anything about the Japanese about Spruance. I doubt they even knew who Spruance was in regards to a command position because he was a cruiser captain when Nimitz picked him to replace Halsey at Midway.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1168 on: 12 November 2019, 12:26:12 »
Patton maybe? I remember scenes in that movie with a German intel officer discussing Patton's psychological state and whether the Allies would give command to him for the Normandy Invasion or not.  :)

As far as the Pacific War, I dont recall reading or seeing anything about the Japanese about Spruance. I doubt they even knew who Spruance was in regards to a command position because he was a cruiser captain when Nimitz picked him to replace Halsey at Midway.
I must be remembering something wrong then. 
The scene I'm recalling is a group of Japanese officers and one of them says something to the effect of, "I have studied Admiral Halsey.  I know exactly how he will respond to our attack."  The next scene was an officer, presumably Nimitz, visiting Halsey in the hospital to discuss his replacement.  Halsey in a particularly bad mood because there was a tree blocking the view of the docks from his hospital window.  They discussed who would replace him, Spruance came up.  As he left, the visitor promised to look into having the tree cut down.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #1169 on: 12 November 2019, 12:49:59 »
Midway 1976.

First scene, where the Japanese discuss Halsey, approx 22 min 30 sec.

Second scene, between Nimitz and Halsey, approx 36 min 25 sec.

Time stamp may vary slightly dependent upon copy. There's a couple other scenes in between the two which may have caused some confusion.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones