Author Topic: The New Free Worlds League: Thread Title Deadlocked in Committee  (Read 146756 times)

Plinythemechwarrior

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
Re: The New Free Worlds League: Thread Title Deadlocked in Committee
« Reply #660 on: 05 July 2020, 21:37:35 »
Pliny, welcome to the League! You may find this of interest - Army Report 3025, Free Worlds League

Thank you for the kind welcome! That report is perfect, thank you. I've tracked down the other faction's reports and shared them with my group as well, so thanks again for the great resource. The availability charts are exactly what I was looking for!

FWL are the Combined Arms Masters at this time!

Right now most of the other players are pretty new, or very rusty, so we're sticking with mech vs. mech for now, but I am very interested in running combined arms.

Battle Lance: Hunchback, Trebuchet, Quickdraw, Thunderbolt

OoOooOoh :o I am looking forward to playing this lance, thanks! Can you give me some thoughts on how to effectively run it? My top-of-the-head approach would be to bring the Quickdraw up to draw some fire, while raining LRMs with Trebuchet, meanwhile the Hunchie and T-bolt come in for the kill. There's probably a better way though  ;D

- Pliny
Capellans delenda est               Agent #1014, Prince Rupert, Canada

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #661 on: 05 July 2020, 22:12:11 »
The Hunchback, Trenchbucket, and Thud are all ground-bound, and the 'Bucket is not as tough as the others. By all means field a stock Quickdraw, but there's a canon variant, the QKD-5A, which replaces the LRM-10 & ammo with two more medium lasers and more heat sinks. This makes it a nastier knife fighter, with bounce.

(It's also a very easy mod to the mini - cover the LRM slots with clay, even paper, then glue a little pip on each flat surface for the MLs. I can't help it, I don't play WYSIWIG, I just like modding minis  :D )

So think of a Y formation. The Thud and Hunchie are forward, the Treb is in the rear supporting, and the Quickdraw floats in the middle and deters backstabbers. My third M-bill, if you like  :wheelchair:
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Plinythemechwarrior

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #662 on: 05 July 2020, 22:37:36 »
By all means field a stock Quickdraw, but there's a canon variant, the QKD-5A...This makes it a nastier knife fighter, with bounce.

Great minds think alike, that's what I ended up doing  ;D

The Thud and Hunchie are forward, the Treb is in the rear supporting, and the Quickdraw floats in the middle and deters backstabbers.

Great! I'll try that in my next match and blame you if it goes horribly wrong  ;)

- Pliny

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #663 on: 05 July 2020, 22:40:31 »
I'll try that in my next match and blame you if it goes horribly wrong  ;)

- Pliny

He is truly a Leaguer!
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Plinythemechwarrior

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #664 on: 05 July 2020, 22:56:04 »
He is truly a Leaguer!

There is no higher compliment! <tips hat>

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #665 on: 06 July 2020, 00:24:40 »
Second, what sort of lances would you make from these mechs, and how would you use them?

While you've already gotten great advice, I thought I might throw my two M-bills in.

I suggest going with a Wolverine lance, the -6M is extremely flexible, able to tangle with many heavier mechs of the period (within reason, assaults will still mess you up) and in a lance able to face down most other mediums with no trouble. They can survive many of the nastier tanks of the period, and they don't do that silly Phoenix hawk thing of not having enough head armor. Lastly as a heavy recon lance, they are great.

Also it's a lance of Wolverines, which is inevitably quite funny.
Steiner, where money and mediocrity meet caring.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #666 on: 06 July 2020, 00:47:57 »
Especially if you have that bit on your phone from the classic to play each turn when they open fire 'WOLVERINE!'
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Plinythemechwarrior

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #667 on: 06 July 2020, 20:52:07 »
I suggest going with a Wolverine lance, the -6M is extremely flexible...Lastly as a heavy recon lance, they are great. Also it's a lance of Wolverines, which is inevitably quite funny.

Funny? I am sold!

Quote from: Cold Ward
Especially if you have that bit on your phone from the classic to play each turn when they open fire 'WOLVERINE!'

Are you thinking this, by chance? Because that is an epic idea which I will immediately steal for this lance  ;D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #668 on: 07 July 2020, 06:39:50 »
About your Hunchie, does it have to be a -4G? I've had great success with the Painback, -4J and the -4H. Makes your enemies think... but any Swayback variations do. Painback,  Marauder, Awesome and Thud. There's a decent in your face command. Awesome at range, Thud and Marauder midrange with the close firesupport of ML spam of a Painback protecting the rear.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Plinythemechwarrior

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #669 on: 07 July 2020, 13:12:22 »
About your Hunchie, does it have to be a -4G? I've had great success with the Painback, -4J and the -4H. Makes your enemies think... but any Swayback variations do.

You know, I've only used 4G's - something about that AC/20, what can I say.

Painback is 4P, right? What makes you prefer the other variants to the 4G? I'm open to being convinced  :thumbsup:

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #670 on: 07 July 2020, 13:30:13 »
the hunchback variants are collectively referred to as swaybacks. some are better than others

the 4P is known by some as the Disco Ball of Doom™ as it runs eight medium lasers with enough heatsinks to keep up pretty well. it doesn't have the wallup of 20 points to one location but it is pretty lethal.

the 4J turns the hunchie into a super whitworth with a pair of LRM-10s... and five medium lasers if someone decides to close with you.

the 4H and 4N reduce the size of the autocannon to a 10 and 5 respectively. never used either enough to know how they do. i suspect the 4N is too slow to use its skirmisher armament effectively.

the 4SP gives you more sandblasting ability with a quartet of medium lasers and dual SRM-6s.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #671 on: 07 July 2020, 13:53:02 »
The -4N I think has LRMs and that AC/5 . . . its why I wish we had gotten a SW Orion with a larger LRM rack and AC/5.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #672 on: 07 July 2020, 13:58:50 »
Incidentally my first campaign like 25 years ago had my character in exactly that setup because of battlefield damage and a paucity of spare parts (well close - two lrm-10s and an AC/5). It was pretty good

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #673 on: 07 July 2020, 14:20:19 »
Longer range or more laser spam.

Thud and either 4H or 4J with Marauder doing the fighting,  Awesome backing up with those 2-3-2 hits.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #674 on: 07 July 2020, 14:22:22 »
Incidentally my first campaign like 25 years ago had my character in exactly that setup because of battlefield damage and a paucity of spare parts (well close - two lrm-10s and an AC/5). It was pretty good

I was saddled with a -4N in a campaign, and kept wanting to refit it into something else...but man, it kept pulling its weight like a serious beast. It's not flashy, but it does work pretty well.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #675 on: 07 July 2020, 14:51:52 »
it lends itself well to campaign play where survival is the main objective. imma stand all the way over here. yell if you need something i'll toss some smoke rounds out for you

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #676 on: 07 July 2020, 17:06:48 »
Its the better half of a Jagermech 6S- or whatever the LRM equipped Jag is numbered.
Colt Ward

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #677 on: 07 July 2020, 17:28:22 »
JM6-A.  The JM6-S is everyone's least favorite lemon with four autocannons.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #678 on: 07 July 2020, 17:33:18 »
Hey now, I like the JM6-S. It's got flava... just know how to use it when stylin'!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #679 on: 07 July 2020, 17:41:52 »
it has all the flavor and resiliency of phyllo dough

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #680 on: 07 July 2020, 17:49:43 »
The best use for a JM6-S is to trade it for something more useful.  Like a Blackjack.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #681 on: 07 July 2020, 17:55:52 »
Pity the pilot of the JM-6DG. "I got two gauss rifles! Eat this!" "You got no armour, eat that!" Such a glass cannon, they go down faster than Harvey Weinstein's credit rating.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #682 on: 07 July 2020, 18:05:36 »
At least two Gauss Rifles is threatening.  There's a niche for a glass cannon.  There's not much of one for a glass pop-gun.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #683 on: 07 July 2020, 18:13:11 »
A plinking AC2 is not a glass cannon. The popgun AC5 is also not a glass cannon either!  A LGR is a glass cannon.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #684 on: 08 July 2020, 07:46:24 »
Pity the pilot of the JM-6DG. "I got two gauss rifles! Eat this!" "You got no armour, eat that!" Such a glass cannon, they go down faster than Harvey Weinstein's credit rating.

I want a lance of a JM-6DG, a BZK-F3, a Regulator and a Yellow Jacket. I'm hoping they'll be overwhelmed by so many glass cannons they won't know how to prioritize them and just stand there.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #685 on: 08 July 2020, 09:44:04 »
That force makes infantry tingle.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #686 on: 08 July 2020, 10:37:30 »
I want a lance of a JM-6DG, a BZK-F3, a Regulator and a Yellow Jacket. I'm hoping they'll be overwhelmed by so many glass cannons they won't know how to prioritize them and just stand there.

Bah, that is not a League Gauss force!  They should all be Light Gauss!
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #687 on: 08 July 2020, 10:42:37 »
Hawk Moth, Hermes 5ME. Vulcan 6M, Vedette (Light Gauss)?

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #688 on: 08 July 2020, 10:48:02 »
Ontosest is mostest.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #689 on: 08 July 2020, 11:01:13 »
A plinking AC2 is not a glass cannon. The popgun AC5 is also not a glass cannon either!  A LGR is a glass cannon.

TT

This gives me a grand idea for a JagerMech variant.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Register