Author Topic: The Free Worlds League: Wolf Empire Reunion Tour  (Read 56115 times)

CJC070

• Lieutenant
Re: The Free Worlds League: Wolf Empire Reunion Tour
« Reply #90 on: 05 May 2022, 09:57:00 »
And of course no faction or character has done a 180 in the Battletech universe.  And none of the  subfactions in the Great Houses have EVER gone rogue.  I was saying I hope the Spirit Cats stay in the FWL and NOT crawl to Alaric since they seem to be a dominate force in the Clan Protectorate.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #91 on: 05 May 2022, 10:08:35 »
You talked about them joining the League . . . they did that, over 10 IC years ago.

The Protectorate is a interesting power dynamic that I think we got a subtle shift with the changing of the guard.  Before it was presented as a true symbotic partnership built on Petr's respect for Rikkard with a healthy curiousity about their vision ability.  Now?  We will see with the new book. 

The Spirit Cat portion has very little lift capacity, and their effort to create their own native defense industry is bankrolled by the Foxes causes them to give a lion's share of the production to the Foxes- see Supernova 5 fluff.  With that Aimag executing a takeover of ComStar's assets in the League it is hard to imagine their supporting the Protectorate going out of the League.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MDFification

• Sergeant
  • The Rim Is Not Yet Lost
« Reply #92 on: 05 May 2022, 10:32:57 »
The other key is how the conflict between the FWL and the Marian Hegemony plays out. Is the Invasion of the Wolf Empire going to force Tamarind Abbey back to their pre Invasion borders, leaving the Ilyrian province back in MH hands, or does that become the latest acquisition for Marik?  If that does happen, that would be two chunks of the MH gone since the Lothians went independent.

At this point it's less of a war between the Marians and the FWL than it is a war between the Marians and the Rim Commonality, since their offensive is something the central government explicitly didn't want them to do.

Walrus Gumboot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #93 on: 05 May 2022, 11:41:09 »
You might also say the Clan Protectorate is as much Free Worlds League as Andurien or Regulus.

Andurien and Regulus weren't (re)founding states.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #94 on: 05 May 2022, 14:22:21 »
You talked about them joining the League . . . they did that, over 10 IC years ago.

The Protectorate is a interesting power dynamic that I think we got a subtle shift with the changing of the guard.  Before it was presented as a true symbotic partnership built on Petr's respect for Rikkard with a healthy curiousity about their vision ability.  Now?  We will see with the new book. 

The Spirit Cat portion has very little lift capacity, and their effort to create their own native defense industry is bankrolled by the Foxes causes them to give a lion's share of the production to the Foxes- see Supernova 5 fluff.  With that Aimag executing a takeover of ComStar's assets in the League it is hard to imagine their supporting the Protectorate going out of the League.
And in Battletech the writers or developers have never had a faction do something out of character or stupid to fit the story.  And there has been some people speculating that Alaric may recognize the Spirit Cats as Clan Nova Cat and what they may become in the next hundred years.  We can only guess and All I am saying is what I am hoping for not “they should do this or that.”

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 05 May 2022, 19:31:23 »
You might also say the Clan Protectorate is as much Free Worlds League as Andurien or Regulus.

They're currently more FWL than Andurien at minimum.

I haven't gotten any sense of those relations being strained, certainly not the point where their continued participation is in question let alone in jeopardy.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #96 on: 05 May 2022, 20:09:27 »

I haven't gotten any sense of those relations being strained, certainly not the point where their continued participation is in question let alone in jeopardy.

Just pointing out that joining the FWL was in no way a guarantee that someone would stay FWL. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #97 on: 06 May 2022, 03:28:31 »

Wait till one of the Spirit Cats has a new vision depicting a new "savior" Just think about how they "attacked" Wyatt because they thought Tucker was their savior. Then they had another vision that the planet Marik was to become their safe haven from the coming storm (well that one was actually pretty accurate so far) So maybe the next vision will be a Nova Cat and a Wolf hunting together on Terra or something like that. 

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 06 May 2022, 03:33:19 »
Just pointing out that joining the FWL was in no way a guarantee that someone would stay FWL.

And yet, statistically the Sea Foxes are more likely to be subject to Annihilation or Absorption (~50% of Clans since the 2800s) than they are to no longer be a part of the FWL (~20% of 'major' member states at any given time) ;)

Wait till one of the Spirit Cats has a new vision depicting a new "savior" Just think about how they "attacked" Wyatt because they thought Tucker was their savior. Then they had another vision that the planet Marik was to become their safe haven from the coming storm (well that one was actually pretty accurate so far) So maybe the next vision will be a Nova Cat and a Wolf hunting together on Terra or something like that. 

I hope you'll forgive me for being skeptical that the inciting event in a hypothetical Protectorate split from the FWL will be 'woo, magic!' until such a time as it actually happens.

EDIT: none of this is to say that it can't happen, just that speculating in that direction is making 'wildly premature' seem reasonable by comparison.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #99 on: 06 May 2022, 05:52:13 »
So the Sea Foxes have a 10% chance of leaving the FWL AND being Annihilated? :)
Of course, being Annihilated would also suggest they “left” the FWL, since they’d no longer exist.  So maybe it’s a 50% chance of being Annihilated plus 20% chance they just leave, for a 70% chance they are no longer in FWL one way or another?

(Just joking, being silly)
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #100 on: 06 May 2022, 06:36:38 »
And yet, statistically the Sea Foxes are more likely to be subject to Annihilation or Absorption (~50% of Clans since the 2800s) than they are to no longer be a part of the FWL (~20% of 'major' member states at any given time) ;)

I hope you'll forgive me for being skeptical that the inciting event in a hypothetical Protectorate split from the FWL will be 'woo, magic!' until such a time as it actually happens.

EDIT: none of this is to say that it can't happen, just that speculating in that direction is making 'wildly premature' seem reasonable by comparison.

My post was a bit ironic. Though the Nova Cats and Spirit Cats were always impusilve when it comes to their visions: just think of Wiccon Winters (i think that was her) when she first saw Anastasius Focht: she wanted to attack him on the spot as she saw him as that dark cloud that would destroy the Clans. Then Severen Leroux has a vision of being destroyed should they not join the Star League MK2. And so on and so on. So it would not be out of their nature per se that a new vision might have them pack up and leave again

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #101 on: 06 May 2022, 09:11:59 »
Right now their leader is the guy who had a vision saying Marik would be their refuge during bad times . . . which can be supported by the death of Kev and annihilation of the Nova Cats- where the Spirit Cats who did not join him went.  Throw in their weird veneration of Julietta of Marik who is sort of the 'mother' of the Protectorate.  It is a different integration with the Inner Sphere than the Bears have accomplished.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #102 on: 08 May 2022, 00:00:05 »
Consider the option in which FWL joins the new Star League. In this case, the Clan Protectorate forces can be representatives of the League in the SLDF.

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple Bird is Strong
    • The Big Red Youtube Channel
« Reply #103 on: 08 May 2022, 02:27:47 »
Consider the option in which FWL joins the new Star League. In this case, the Clan Protectorate forces can be representatives of the League in the SLDF.

Only read if you don't want spoilers:

Looks like the FWL is going to have an official declaration of war with the Wolf Empire.
I Am Big_Red_40TECH and so can you.

MarikMilitaMan

• Sergeant
  • The Kendall Hammers
« Reply #104 on: 22 May 2022, 02:22:15 »
Only read if you don't want spoilers:

Looks like the FWL is going to have an official declaration of war with the Wolf Empire.

and with protectorate forces having already fought to protect Wolf worlds from the silver Hawk irregulars its not looking good for them stayingloyal to the league

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #105 on: 22 May 2022, 03:46:36 »
Can't help thinking a lot of the League's problems wouldn't have happened if Isis had actually married Sun-Tzu.

MarikMilitaMan

• Sergeant
  • The Kendall Hammers
« Reply #106 on: 22 May 2022, 03:54:43 »
Can't help thinking a lot of the League's problems wouldn't have happened if Isis had actually married Sun-Tzu.

No thanks, that would have opened a whole different can of worms.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 22 May 2022, 03:57:47 »

those proably would have been worse, as their child would have invitably launched an invasion to claim his "birthright"
The Suns will shine again

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #108 on: 22 May 2022, 04:06:48 »

those proably would have been worse, as their child would have invitably launched an invasion to claim his "birthright"

True, would have been fun though....

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #109 on: 22 May 2022, 07:52:21 »
and with protectorate forces having already fought to protect Wolf worlds from the silver Hawk irregulars its not looking good for them stayingloyal to the league

I hope it leads to a Sea Fox civil war.  A FWL civil war would be to cliché.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #110 on: 22 May 2022, 09:04:19 »

it is said your personality is heavily influenced by the five people you spend the most time with.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #111 on: 22 May 2022, 10:14:57 »
The Foxes are an interesting part of the IS: in essence one Aimag has bound themselves to the Suns, one to the League and one to the Wolves (or are those the Foxes in general?) Might get awkward if they at one point match against their own kin. Or they pull the "attack from within" card

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #112 on: 22 May 2022, 11:14:01 »
The Foxes are an interesting part of the IS: in essence one Aimag has bound themselves to the Suns, one to the League and one to the Wolves (or are those the Foxes in general?) Might get awkward if they at one point match against their own kin. Or they pull the "attack from within" card

That is one concept of the Sea Foxes I find most intriguing will they follow their Khan and still be a whole Clan or will they be like Comstar and Blakists and split without that Stravag Jihad.

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple Bird is Strong
    • The Big Red Youtube Channel
« Reply #113 on: 26 May 2022, 18:54:48 »

To be honest, the whole campaign will lead to some kind of civil war. The Marik-Stewart Commonwealth are worlds that belong mostly to the Mariks, not the Halas's , and if they reclaim a bunch of them, it will unbalance the current order inside the FWL, which will have to lead to political compromises, or it'll lead to a civil war anyway. And thats if the FWL beats the clans for a lot of that territoy.

And that's not taking into account that the Protectorate a traitors.
I Am Big_Red_40TECH and so can you.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #114 on: 27 May 2022, 13:05:09 »
Empire Alone may answer some of these questions as to the internal relations of the League entities--excited to read it. 

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: 17 June 2022, 17:11:35 »
Hi all, bit of a long shot but if anyone has the Rolling Thunder scenario pack handy could you take a look at the one where they fight a company of the 4th Regulan Hussars that had rebelled and tell me what the Company was called and its composition?

Cheers.

Walrus Gumboot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #116 on: 17 June 2022, 18:12:12 »
Hi all, bit of a long shot but if anyone has the Rolling Thunder scenario pack handy could you take a look at the one where they fight a company of the 4th Regulan Hussars that had rebelled and tell me what the Company was called and its composition?

Cheers.

5th Regulan Hussars Regiment
Mitchell's Marauders
Command Lance - Marauder (Captain Mitchell), Warhammer, Thunderbolt, Phoenix Hawk
Fire Lance - Crusader (Lieutenant Kirov), Archer, Rifleman, Stinger
Recon Lance - Griffin (Lieutenant Marshall), Phoenix Hawk, Wasp, Wasp

The great thing about the scenario is that everyone who dies is a Regulan!
« Last Edit: 17 June 2022, 18:15:55 by Walrus Gumboot »

Walrus Gumboot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #117 on: 17 June 2022, 18:13:53 »
Bear in mind they're not at 100% equipment effectiveness by a long shot.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2022, 18:17:16 by Walrus Gumboot »

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #118 on: 18 June 2022, 02:31:20 »
Cheers for the info buddy.

Bit harsh on the Regulan's though, we're all one big happy family again no?

Well except for the Andurien splitters obviously.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #119 on: 18 June 2022, 09:19:15 »
To be honest, the whole campaign will lead to some kind of civil war. The Marik-Stewart Commonwealth are worlds that belong mostly to the Mariks, not the Halas's , and if they reclaim a bunch of them, it will unbalance the current order inside the FWL, which will have to lead to political compromises, or it'll lead to a civil war anyway. And thats if the FWL beats the clans for a lot of that territoy.

And that's not taking into account that the Protectorate a traitors.

the FWL has managed to claim worlds in federally directed wars without instantly collapsing into a civil war over those wars. PRESUMABLY there's some sort of mechanism at play. I imagine the worlds start off as independant worlds, (or are folded back into their previous owner if they where previously owned) and then are courted by nearby member states
The Suns will shine again

Register