Author Topic: take me to your manager the clan edition  (Read 6262 times)

elf25s

• Major
take me to your manager the clan edition
« on: 04 August 2022, 12:09:03 »
i need help on setting up a fame a one off thing
i am a bit spitefull and want to make my players suffer and game does not start till about chrismas when all of my friends are back in state where i live.
how would i set this game up a clan batch of elementals came out all wrong not as warriors but as a flock of karens and chads and my participants have to deal with them on solaris VII during the last leg of championships....not sure about objectives tho
any ideas on set up and how to run it? i just want to make them suffer for last game we had and it is my turn to host
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
Re: take me to your manager the clan edition
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2022, 18:46:29 »
Chads and Karen’s get drunk and say (different but equally) obnoxious things to others.

NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2022, 09:05:09 »
My personal take on this. If you feel the need yo punish your friends, it is not gonna be a good expetience for anyone, you will.all.end up pissed up and iy will affect gurther RPG sessions. Hoing for a punish your friends is a fast way to break a rpg group forever. I wouldnt do that.

Just sayin'

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2022, 21:51:26 »
[rob;em is they like clan charecters and they had gone stale and i want them to wake up
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2022, 18:36:36 »
[rob;em is they like clan charecters and they had gone stale and i want them to wake up

Maybe your approach to this problem is wrong?  A better approach might be to REALLY apply Clanner Culture-including the unpleasant parts that aren't glamorous and really go IN-DEPTH with it.  Things like;

Clanners aren't good at recognizing confidence games.  Run a bunch of those on Solaris to drain their resources.

Clanners rely on the concept of the best fighter is the best leader.  This can cause major issues when the problems they face can't be solved with a punch to the face or heavy weapons fire.

There are consequences when Clanners don't duel everything they fight-social consequences, among fellow clanners.  Being tarred by their own Clan as 'Dishonorable' and having to redeem themselves can be quite educational for the players, (could be lethal for the characters).

Clans have age issues.  "You are getting old, we are reassigning your Omnimech to a more deserving, younger, trueborn. Here is a rifle and a pair of boots.  Go Die With Honor for the Glory of the Clan." (This is likely to happen for anyone below Star Colonel and over the age of 28 who hasn't earned a bloodname).

They also have a collective economy.  DO your players realize they own nothing, the Clan owns everything, and everything they have can be (will be) reassigned to somewhere else?   If not, you need to start really implementing Clanner ways and doctrine.  Individual Ownership does not EXIST in the Clan system.

nor does money.  How are they paying their bills on Solaris?  Here's a reminder: Only Merchant-Caste are permitted to possess hard currency.  Everyone else (including Warriors) has a self-resetting work credit system that doesn't allow for savings or investment.  (point of fact, saving cash is hiding contraband, which gets you killed as a bandit if you don't turn it over right quick.)

My point is, just a strict application of Clanner rules and ways can be punishment enough.  You don't need to go to extremes, just follow the descriptions of Clan culture in the novels and sourcebooks.

Oh, and be ready to have the relevant sections bookmarked when your players who LURVE Clan characters (iow they love the bonuses and higher tech level) start getting upset.

Key Reference: "The Clans:Warriors of Kerensky", "Invading Clans", Crusader Clans, Warden Clans.  Those four sourcebooks plus your (presumably well worn) copy of A Time of War or 'mechwarrior 3rd Edition'.

As a GM, your job is to make things 'exciting for the players' but you need to remember to leave them an 'out' or you won't have players for long.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2022, 00:53:30 »
Cannonshop nailed it. :)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2022, 14:27:24 »
Maybe your approach to this problem is wrong?  A better approach might be to REALLY apply Clanner Culture-including the unpleasant parts that aren't glamorous and really go IN-DEPTH with it.  Things like;

Clanners aren't good at recognizing confidence games.  Run a bunch of those on Solaris to drain their resources.

Clanners rely on the concept of the best fighter is the best leader.  This can cause major issues when the problems they face can't be solved with a punch to the face or heavy weapons fire.

There are consequences when Clanners don't duel everything they fight-social consequences, among fellow clanners.  Being tarred by their own Clan as 'Dishonorable' and having to redeem themselves can be quite educational for the players, (could be lethal for the characters).

Clans have age issues.  "You are getting old, we are reassigning your Omnimech to a more deserving, younger, trueborn. Here is a rifle and a pair of boots.  Go Die With Honor for the Glory of the Clan." (This is likely to happen for anyone below Star Colonel and over the age of 28 who hasn't earned a bloodname).

They also have a collective economy.  DO your players realize they own nothing, the Clan owns everything, and everything they have can be (will be) reassigned to somewhere else?   If not, you need to start really implementing Clanner ways and doctrine.  Individual Ownership does not EXIST in the Clan system.

nor does money.  How are they paying their bills on Solaris?  Here's a reminder: Only Merchant-Caste are permitted to possess hard currency.  Everyone else (including Warriors) has a self-resetting work credit system that doesn't allow for savings or investment.  (point of fact, saving cash is hiding contraband, which gets you killed as a bandit if you don't turn it over right quick.)

My point is, just a strict application of Clanner rules and ways can be punishment enough.  You don't need to go to extremes, just follow the descriptions of Clan culture in the novels and sourcebooks.

Oh, and be ready to have the relevant sections bookmarked when your players who LURVE Clan characters (iow they love the bonuses and higher tech level) start getting upset.

Key Reference: "The Clans:Warriors of Kerensky", "Invading Clans", Crusader Clans, Warden Clans.  Those four sourcebooks plus your (presumably well worn) copy of A Time of War or 'mechwarrior 3rd Edition'.

As a GM, your job is to make things 'exciting for the players' but you need to remember to leave them an 'out' or you won't have players for long.
oh love it!
now what should be their objective?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 06 September 2022, 08:33:04 »
2har about as objective they have to ask for directions to get somewhere>

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2022, 01:41:10 »
My God, my players are monsters and I've often thought about punishing them for their heinous-crimes, but, I'm not the Justice-League and life isn't fair, so, I let fate decide.  I have systems in place to randomly roll the consequences, if any, of their degradation(s).

The best way would be to put them in situations where their skills are lacking, like, if the are Elements, in social-systems; I've always pictured Solaris to be like the Wire.  But whatever you do, they probably won't even notice you're trying to punish them and they'll surprise you.

Register