Author Topic: The Wolf Empire: Our Khan Beat Devlin Stone in a Savage Wolf! Buy Savage Wolves!  (Read 199662 times)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
So, looking at the mechs that made it into the Kickstarter, I think the two obviously most Wolf Relevant designs left in the lineup are the Gargoyle and Dire Wolf, I can't wait to see how the chips fall on those.

But I was thinkin about it.  There's a bit of a Dark Horse. The Mist Lynx, where does it go?

I'm figuring it'll either be Sea Fox or Clan Wolf. It used to have a decent presence on our RATs, AFAICT it was because we bullied the heck out of smoke jaguars and salvaged them. and the Sea Foxes have the Koshi static battlemech.

It's not ESSENTIAL, but it's not a design I'd say no to. Had some great shenanigans in my MWO Mist Lynx back when it was relevant.

Edit: Just occurred to me. Wouldn't it be a trip if the Fidelis started building them?
Along those lines, there's also the Arctic Cheetah (Hankyu). The TRO entry says the Jaguars, Vipers, Hellions, Nova Cats, and Sharks were heavy users of the design. That seems like the Foxes/Sharks, but the one notable pilot is a Crusader Wolf who was taken abtahka from the Hellions. The Foxes/Sharks could be the main producers, but I think the Arctic Cheetah works as a lower-end Omni for the Wolves with the Wulfen taking the top spot.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
I'm figuring it'll either be Sea Fox or Clan Wolf. It used to have a decent presence on our RATs, AFAICT it was because we bullied the heck out of smoke jaguars and salvaged them. and the Sea Foxes have the Koshi static battlemech.

;D what? Everybody had access to the Mist Lynx, it had been around since the early 2900s and there's no indication the Jaguars guarded the design with any extra zeal. The leading Clans of both the Warden and Crusader movements would naturally field sizeable complements of each other's equipment. I'd be surprised if the Wolves would want the Mist Lynx in the current timeframe. It's still serviceable sure, but I can think of at least two designs off-hand that were designed to replace it. The Falcons were actively shuffling their Lynxes off to second-line units in 3058U to make room for more Fire Falcons, and the Hellions considered the Lynx aged in the 3030s, hence the Hankyu.

I'm uncertain about Koshi BattleMech comparison. The Foxes/Sharks were not the masters of the Timber Wolf, and yet they came up with both the Mad Cat mk II and III. At the same time, they're probably the best option if any new Mist Lynx are being made IMO.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Maybe the Ravens?  They seem to be building/expanding their ground forces since they are not forced into the Aero niche.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Question for you Wolfophiles:

What was the justification for Alaric having the surname "Wolf"?
I've hunted around a bit, and am having trouble finding an answer.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

CJC070

• Lieutenant

I think some Clanners don’t use Clan this or Clan that as their surname they just use the animal totem their Clan represents.  According to Sarna.net he earned his bloodname and Khan of the Wolf Empire in 3143.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2020, 23:29:39 by CJC070 »

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major

Maybe this was just me interpreting things, but I've always believed the "Wolf" surname was something that anyone from that clan could use, freeborn or trueborn, if they didn't have a bloodname to help identify which clan they belonged to. Most of the time within the clans there was no need, but among folks of the IS who weren't used to a person not having a surname it helped.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Becomes cumbersome in some other Clans. Alaric Hell's Horse? Alaric Blood Spirit?

EDIT Upon seeing my avatar, i remembered there have been some characters who have used "Nova Cat" as surname. Think there was that one Elemental bondsman to the Wolf's Dragoons? And Kisho Nova Cat?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Elson Nova Cat was a important part of the Dragoons' Civil War . . . but yeah, its a thing for most of the Clans but a few have been noted to mock it since it gives a surname, pretensions, etc.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Maybe this was just me interpreting things, but I've always believed the "Wolf" surname was something that anyone from that clan could use, freeborn or trueborn, if they didn't have a bloodname to help identify which clan they belonged to. Most of the time within the clans there was no need, but among folks of the IS who weren't used to a person not having a surname it helped.

I've always assumed it was related to a freeborn being adopted into the Warrior Caste; we had the Dragoon brothers, Elson Nova Cat, and Phelan Wolf who point towards that trend.

Alaric kind of bucks that, though. It does appear that it was people outside his Clan that referred to him as Alaric Wolf, so it being used for Spheroids would work.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2020, 09:28:27 by GreekFire »

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
Since it was used by warriors who were taken bondsman originally, I could see that as a way of making up for the fact your chances of fighting for at the time exclusive bloodname are lower.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Alaric is an exceptional case all in all. Not a Ward or even part of any Clan Bloodhouse, yet trueborn and allowed to compete for the name of Ward. Wolf part in his name is the least weird thing all in all, really.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
The Jade Falcons were one of the Clans that mocked the practice but IIRC we have other examples than the ones mentioned.
Colt Ward

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Alaric is an exceptional case all in all. Not a Ward or even part of any Clan Bloodhouse, yet trueborn and allowed to compete for the name of Ward. Wolf part in his name is the least weird thing all in all, really.

That wasn't common knowledge during his early life, though.
So if that was to be the sole justification for using the surname "Wolf", it would raise a bunch of red flags among his fellow Wolves.

Auberan

• Corporal

He was considered a member of the Ward bloodhouse through Vlad's own deceptions, so it wasn't like it was openly known when he participated in it that he was not truly a descendant of the bloodhouse.

The use of Wolf as a surname by the time of the Dark Ages was remarked on being an adaptation to being in the Inner Sphere for so long. Other Clans, like the Jade Falcons, did not adopt or think highly of the practice.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
The use of Wolf as a surname by the time of the Dark Ages was remarked on being an adaptation to being in the Inner Sphere for so long. Other Clans, like the Jade Falcons, did not adopt or think highly of the practice.

This is the sort of detail I was looking for! Could you tell me where you found it?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I was under the impression Clan name was being used when a Clan individuals were cut off from the Clan and was working with non-Clan societies.  The absence of a surname reason why clan name was being used. There too many dupicate first names out there. Again there are few bloodnamed warriors so not as bad. However it breaks down. Especially if you have half dozen Bobs or Janes. 

I remember reading the novels that Clan first names are sometimes pulled out of a hat.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
This is the sort of detail I was looking for! Could you tell me where you found it?

Unfortunately its not true- its the explanation for Jamie & Joshua . . . and others in earlier material.
Colt Ward

Auberan

• Corporal

There is a line in Bonfire of Worlds about it, from Beckett Malthus' perspective. I'll try to look for it again when I have time.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
There is a line in Bonfire of Worlds about it, from Beckett Malthus' perspective. I'll try to look for it again when I have time.

I just took a look around, and I'm guessing this is the line you were thinking of:

"Alaric, not Alaric Wolf. Malvina was not one to invent a last name for a Clan warrior who had failed to earn a Bloodname. In this, Beckett agreed with her."

Still a bit vague.
I guess it could have been a political move on Katherine's behalf to try to get Alaric more clout within and without Clan Wolf.

Auberan

• Corporal
There was also Rickard Nova Cat. I can't find any reason for him to have been given some surname as some sort of weight. Other members of the Spirit Cats were also called <insert first name> Nova Cat. While these references were with the Spirit Cats, the Mystics of Clan Nova Cat were also called Nova Cat.

<shrugs>

My assumption as I read through is that it depended on the Clan and their interaction with the inner sphere. Members of Clan Wolf-in-Exile who hadn't even passed their warrior trials were using the name Wolf as a surname in the Dark Ages as well. There was the one who was part of the Storm Hammers, and Alaric's girlfriend.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Elson Nova Cat, from the Dragoon Civil War- it goes back that far, it is not a recent trend.  BUT as was pointed out the Falcons never went for it from the beginning (IE, no Horse Jade Falcon- just Horse).  The Falcon failure to use the Clan as a surname is just spelled out recently, rather than 'not done for unknown reasons.'

For your second part, you are referring to Alexia & Serena respectively . . . and the funny thing is, Alexia Wolf was Jasek Kelswa-Steiner's mattress buddy too.
Colt Ward

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Elson Nova Cat, from the Dragoon Civil War- it goes back that far, it is not a recent trend.  BUT as was pointed out the Falcons never went for it from the beginning (IE, no Horse Jade Falcon- just Horse).  The Falcon failure to use the Clan as a surname is just spelled out recently, rather than 'not done for unknown reasons.'

For your second part, you are referring to Alexia & Serena respectively . . . and the funny thing is, Alexia Wolf was Jasek Kelswa-Steiner's mattress buddy too.
Also the thing is that depends who the author is as well. I'd not heard of a official franchise bible spelling out how character names are suppose to be socially or otherwise.

Alexia kept using the Wolf name even in her time with Clan Wolf as well as Alaric Ward-Steiner's lover & assistant.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Alexia was Jasek's squeeze.  Serena was Alaric's flame, and she came from the Warden Wolves which had practiced the 'Wolf' surname.
Colt Ward

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Alexia was Jasek's squeeze.  Serena was Alaric's flame, and she came from the Warden Wolves which had practiced the 'Wolf' surname.

I forgot about Serena. Depressing.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

SteveRestless

• Major
;D what? Everybody had access to the Mist Lynx, it had been around since the early 2900s and there's no indication the Jaguars guarded the design with any extra zeal.

Access does not mean production though. I've seen nothing to indicate that it was in any way likely that the wolves built the design themselves historically.

Alaric Wolf

IIRC technically anyone in the clan has the clan as their surname, but it's only made a point of, in the case of adoptees.  Also, since Alaric was briefly Anastasia's Bondsman, an argument could be made for there being a period following his return from that, until he had his bloodname, where it would be a bit picky, but a legitimate use of the clansurname.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
If Alaric is a Ward, not of the Ward bloodhouse.   How they even justifying him having the name.  They have to be able to trace the name.  Phelan mother was clearly a Ward.
He cousins with Alaric's mom.  That be said, i wasn't under the impression he was remotely related to the Wards.  He related to the Kell's through Katherine Steiner-Davion's Grand Father being cousin with Morgan & Patrick Kell.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
IIRC technically anyone in the clan has the clan as their surname, but it's only made a point of, in the case of adoptees.

If you ever happen to stumble across a source for this, I'd be interested in knowing it.
« Last Edit: 25 August 2020, 06:17:26 by GreekFire »

Decoy

• Captain
I have this scene in my head that I'm just going to write out.

Khan Seth: "That's what she wants. That's what she's getting. I don't need to hear any more about should you do it. Can you do it?"
Chief Scientist: "Da. We understand. We do. Leave all to us. There will be no worry."
Khan Seth: "Good. I expect great things from this project."
Chief Scientist: "We will obey."
Khan Seth exits
Chief  Scientist: "No one should worry. Solution is easy. Even most junior of us should figure it out. You! Most Junior Scientist! What is solution?"
Most Junior Scientist: "We take the X chromosome that was passed to both Victor and Kathrine and turn it into a Y chromosome. We then take Vlad's X chromosome and use it for maternal material."
Chief Scientist: "Exactly. We say it has same genes as Victor. Same genes as Katherine. Same genes as Vlad. Everyone happy!"
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

SteveRestless

• Major
If you ever happen to stumble across a source for this, I'd be interesting in knowing it.

I will keep an eye out for it. not 100% certain, I DID disclaim that with an "IIRC" for a reason.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
In the MWDA novels there are some not Bondsmen characters running around being called by their clan names. Sonia Sea Fox. Rikkard Nova Cat. Etc. Etc.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Register