Author Topic: Abstracting swarms of ultralight combat drones as single vehicles  (Read 1014 times)

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
I've been inspired by the ultralight combat drone design created by Liam's Ghost:  https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,22247.0.html

Now I've created my own, which I plan on posting soon.  While I agree the best way to abstract a swarm of these things is as a VTOL infantry platoon, the problem is that I can't do that with MegaMek :D  So I'm trying to figure out how to best abstract a drone swarm as a vehicle instead.

I started the unit file off as a VTOL assuming 12 drones because I thought that managing the weapons for a bigger swarm would be a nightmare at 48 lasers total.  But during testing I remembered that MegaMek has an Alpha Strike button, so I can fire all the weapons at once without having to scroll through a long list.  So I guess I could have a single unit represent 100 drones if I really wanted to.

But now comes how to deal with damaging the unit.  I currently have it set up so that a 12-drone swarm has 3 points of armor on each facing so that a medium laser could knock out the entire swarm.  Again this is an abstraction, but it feels good to me for a medium laser to be able to destroy 12 drones in a single shot in laser-rave fashion.  Unfortunately it's still going to fire all its weapons until its dead - no drones to KO.

I guess I could abstract the drones with VTOL battlearmor, but that limits me to six per squad in MegaMek.  (MegaMek tries very hard to stick with canon rules.)

Any thoughts about how I should do this?
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Register