Author Topic: I made an Instructional YouTube Series on the AToW Game Mechanics  (Read 17506 times)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
After explaining the game to people over Discord and explaining a bunch of stuff to my local players, I thought it would make life easier if I made an instructional series on the game mechanics. Here is it. Let me know if I need to correct anything. I do not go back to work until Monday, so I have some time to make last minute corrections if need be.

Also, a big thank you to all of you guys on this forum who helped me learn the game. You know who are.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW4v4K6PB7qIWAumfYAqdfxOlk4OgDOTD

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: I made an Instructional YouTube Series on the AToW Game Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2019, 21:40:53 »
Cool... I'll check them out over the weekend.  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2019, 11:34:30 »
I just watched the Character Creation video... I disagree that using the Module system "takes all day", or requires you to read 40+ pages (skim, sure, but not necessarily read).  The module system also allows you to have more negative traits, as ones acquired via modules and optimization don't count against the 10% maximum of "bought" XP.  Aging effects and the benefits of formal schooling (Skill Fields) were also missed in your explanation.  That said, using modules does require a lot of book keeping, and that's why I (and others here) have built spreadsheets to help with that.

Other specific things I saw:
- Connections are essentially useless without Protocol, Streetwise, or Negotiation (depending on the kind of contacts they are).  All three rely on CHA, so if Connections are something you want, CHA isn't something to "min".
- Your comment implying a specific tonnage implication for the number of Trait Points in Vehicle, while a common interpretation, is not supported by the rules as written.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2019, 13:55:55 »
Thank you for the feedback. The life-module system does take me all day to do the book keeping; thanks for letting me know that this may only be particular to me. Also, I intentionally left the aging affects and school fields out to keep the video simpler. However, you may be right that they should be explained.

I will set the character creation video to private and work on making a new one. The new character creation video will give a fairer interpretation of the life module system and will explain the skill fields and aging.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2019, 13:57:21 »
Your feedback on the Connections Trait is also noted.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2019, 14:12:32 »
When I help people create characters, I usually try to get them to give me an idea of the kind of character they're looking for.  That vastly simplifies the decision making surrounding which modules to take.  For a (much) more detailed example, I might recommend looking over this thread by Takiro.  A lot of it is unit stuff, but the characters are all very interesting.  My approach in that thread was to start with an idea, then flesh it out via the life module process.

Thanks for doing this, by the way.  I do think explainers will help the community grow.  :thumbsup:

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2019, 14:11:33 »
The new video on character creation is up. I added in the skill field system and aging effects. While I do go back to work tomorrow as a university writing consultant, I can find the time to remake any videos that need to be improved upon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiftY28tTe4&t=0s&list=PLW4v4K6PB7qIWAumfYAqdfxOlk4OgDOTD&index=12

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2019, 14:19:48 »
Tagged!!!

And book marked!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2019, 14:23:46 »
Cool... I've got a few things to do this afternoon, but will take a look this evening... thanks!

Phalanx

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2019, 02:51:21 »
The new video on character creation is up. I added in the skill field system and aging effects. While I do go back to work tomorrow as a university writing consultant, I can find the time to remake any videos that need to be improved upon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiftY28tTe4&t=0s&list=PLW4v4K6PB7qIWAumfYAqdfxOlk4OgDOTD&index=12

You character is a Hot Shot Mechwarrior...but he's mute(no Language skill). 8)

Great Video!

I know you are not a fan of the Life Paths, but could do a run of the Life Paths before you do Equipment Purchasing?

Statesman:  Our Warlord.

Warlord:  Your Statesman.

-Liaofan

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 07 January 2019, 04:08:16 »
I was overtaken by events last night... Hopefully I'll have time tonight after work...

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 07 January 2019, 07:35:30 »
Oh crap I forgot the language skill. Right, I need to go over the minimum requirements. You know how people forget sometimes? It happened to me.
« Last Edit: 07 January 2019, 08:58:04 by BiggRigg42 »

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 07 January 2019, 08:39:05 »
Don't worry, I will edit in a section on the minimum requirements and give Hot-shot Mechmac a language skill. I will also go over how the language skill works. It will be the same video, just with a couple of edited in sections.
« Last Edit: 07 January 2019, 08:58:33 by BiggRigg42 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 07 January 2019, 18:23:21 »
I just got home, and have a few threads to wade through before I can look in here... shouldn't be too long (I hope).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 07 January 2019, 19:26:32 »
Got through everything, and when I tried to go to YouTube, it gave me a "This video is unavailable error."  Please let me know when it's back up.  I've only got about 90 minutes of free time left tonight, but there's always tomorrow...

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 07 January 2019, 20:05:56 »
Yep, I set the video to private because I forgot to give the character a language skill in English. I am never publishing a video on the same day I make it again. Had I waited a day, that oversight would have been found. Anyway, here is the same video but with a section on the minimum skill requirements and a section giving Hot-shot Mechmac the Language/English skill.

I didn't talk about the minimum attribute requirement nor the max attribute requirement (based on phenotype), but those are mentioned in the video description. I will talk about phenotype in a future video, and the minimum attribute requirement should be discussed in an earlier video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo1BWEGyAA4&t=0s&list=PLW4v4K6PB7qIWAumfYAqdfxOlk4OgDOTD&index=13

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 07 January 2019, 20:12:38 »
Excellent intro... still watching...  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 07 January 2019, 20:17:20 »
One point to make about attributes is that they're MUCH cheaper to buy up at creation than later on.  That's not so much the case with skills.

Looks like I'm going to be posting as the video plays so I don't forget to make comments...

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 07 January 2019, 20:18:25 »
Sounds good

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 07 January 2019, 20:20:22 »
One other point on Attributes... Link Modifiers (sadly) don't translate to Total Warfare scale.  I asked TPTB about it, and it was a deliberate decision.  Apparently, they only want clanners with Targeting Computers and Pulse Lasers to attack at LOS range...

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 07 January 2019, 20:26:29 »
Wow, I always wondered about whether or not the link transferred to TW with the Gunnery and Piloting skills. I may have to make a video over the Tactical Combat Addendum--or something--and go over that.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 07 January 2019, 20:33:09 »
I just checked AToW, and I'm honestly not sure if you can take Skill Fields with Point Buy.  The description of Skill Fields is under Stage 3, and nowhere else.  It doesn't seem to be banned, so I suppose it depends on how you choose to read it.  Might be worth a Rules Question, though the AToW board usually takes a while to get answers.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 07 January 2019, 20:37:10 »
I just checked AToW, and I'm honestly not sure if you can take Skill Fields with Point Buy.  The description of Skill Fields is under Stage 3, and nowhere else.  It doesn't seem to be banned, so I suppose it depends on how you choose to read it.  Might be worth a Rules Question, though the AToW board usually takes a while to get answers.

Page 89 says that you can use the skill fields under the point buy-system. It is in the very lower right hand corner. However, a point-buy character is limited to choosing up to three skill fields.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 07 January 2019, 20:42:33 »
Cool... missed that bit (sorry, I don't use Point Buy at all, so I'm less familiar with it).  Aside from other comments, I think that was a good overview of the Point Buy system, though you might want to point out that page 89 reference since it's so easy to miss.

Will you do a video on the Life Module system?  Your intro will certainly intrigue some...

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 07 January 2019, 20:46:24 »
I put a comment about page 89 in the video description.

Yes, I will do a video on the life module system. It may take me a bit. I don't want to rush this is and have to do it over again because of a careless mistake.

Thank you so much for the feedback.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 07 January 2019, 21:01:44 »
You're very welcome!  I was probably typing when you mentioned page 89, so I'll be more careful next time.  I look forward to your Life Module video... just let me know when it's up!  :thumbsup:

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #26 on: 08 January 2019, 05:01:33 »
Wow, I always wondered about whether or not the link transferred to TW with the Gunnery and Piloting skills. I may have to make a video over the Tactical Combat Addendum--or something--and go over that.

I was under the impression that it was optional. Will have to check the book when I get off work.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 08 January 2019, 13:30:34 »
I was under the impression that it was optional. Will have to check the book when I get off work.
As noted in the sidebar A Time of War vs. Total Warfare (see p. 40), character Skills in A Time of War convert easily and directly into Total Warfare Skill ratings by simply subtracting the character’s relevant A Time of War Skill level from the Skill’s TN. For example, an Inner Sphere MechWarrior character with a Gunnery/’Mech Skill level of +4 would subtract that number from the Skill’s TN of 8 to receive a Total Warfare Gunnery Skill of 4 (8 – 4 = 4).
These tactical combat rules, however, presume the
players will instead continue to resolve actions using the rules presented in this book. Thus, instead of converting Skills from A Time of War to Total Warfare, the players should instead convert from Total Warfare to A Time of War. They may do so simply by subtracting the relevant Total Warfare Skill from the TN of its appropriate A Time of War Skill equivalent.
For example, in the case of the Inner Sphere MechWarrior referenced above, the player would convert the MechWarrior’s Total Warfare Gunnery Skill of 4 to a Gunnery/’Mech Skill level of +4 in A Time of War (8 [Gunnery/’Mech’s A Time of War TN] - 4 [TW Skill] = 4)

Hope it's okay to copy this directly, not sure of the full rules yet. I pulled it from page 201 of A Time of War, 2010 printing.

The RPG prefers to stick to the values presented in it.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 08 January 2019, 13:37:40 »
The book simply says "simply subtract the character's skill level from the skill's Base Target number as listed in the book."

No mention at all of the linked attributes, and also no mention of the fact that the Clan's Phenotype Field Aptitude modifies the actual target number. I assume that the Field Aptitude modifier applies, but the link doesn't necessarily.

Of course, it depends on how detailed you want the Total Warfare game to be. If you just want a quick conversion than the book is pretty simple. If you're using a fully detailed record sheet then you may want to apply everything.

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #29 on: 08 January 2019, 13:45:05 »
Well considering Attributes and Phenotype Field Aptitude are a part of the end skill level, I would include them.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu