Author Topic: I made an Instructional YouTube Series on the AToW Game Mechanics  (Read 17508 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: I made an Instructional YouTube Series on the AToW Game Mechanics
« Reply #60 on: 14 January 2019, 14:04:17 »
Ok, came into focus at 17 seconds...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #61 on: 14 January 2019, 14:06:45 »
Oh cool!  You already linked to my sheet!  Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #62 on: 14 January 2019, 14:09:07 »
You missed the last page in the Affiliations section: ComStar!

ComStar is also probably the easiest place to mention you can have two affiliations.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #63 on: 14 January 2019, 14:19:36 »
Just got to where you're discussing Universal XP... I think a page reference might be a good idea (maybe you already do that, I just haven't seen it yet).

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #64 on: 14 January 2019, 14:23:14 »
You missed the last page in the Affiliations section: ComStar!

ComStar is also probably the easiest place to mention you can have two affiliations.

Yeah, I chose not to mention that, simply because the video is already over an hour long. However, I will mention that (and anything else I may have omitted in the interest of time) in the video description.

By the way, your video may have started off blurry because YouTube does not always start each video in the highest resolution setting.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #65 on: 14 January 2019, 14:36:25 »
Makes sense, thanks!

Just got the part where you're talking about skill fields... good call on switching to Special Forces vice Pilot/Battle Armor!  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #66 on: 14 January 2019, 14:40:57 »
One quibble with your explanation on Skill Fields: the reason for the rebate is to "[reflect] the benefits of the professional training received in the Higher Education Stage" (AToW, page 71, top of the first column).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #67 on: 14 January 2019, 14:45:08 »
Your initial discussion of attributes (around minute 27) has 300 XP down for INT, but only "2" for its value...

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #68 on: 14 January 2019, 14:51:36 »
Your initial discussion of attributes (around minute 27) has 300 XP down for INT, but only "2" for its value...

I end up correcting that around minute 38.

As for the official reason for the rebate, I remember my players complaining about having to take all of the skills in the skill fields. It was my explanation of the rebate that appeased them. Perhaps that is why I gave the reason that I did. The page 71 reason will be added to the video description.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2019, 14:55:29 by BiggRigg42 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #69 on: 14 January 2019, 14:57:29 »
Cool, on both counts.

The only caveat I'd add to your explanation of the optimization process (specifically where you say "that's what we call a 'no-no'" around minute 32) is that dropping things that way could potentially count as "buying XP".  Of course, your ability to do that is limited to the 10% of starting XP rule.  I often shave down Rank for PCs and NPCs that way when I'm making a unit because a Company doesn't need 4 Captains...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #70 on: 14 January 2019, 15:01:51 »
Just before minute 36, where you're showing optimization of Traits, I don't see the extra 200 XP for optimizing Glass Jaw that you mentioned earlier...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #71 on: 14 January 2019, 15:06:50 »
Just saw you fixed the INT problem, though I have to say... as much as I encourage Attribute values of 4 across the board (except for EDG), you didn't actually need it, as the requirement from the Affiliation only applied if you took one of the Natural Aptitudes.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #72 on: 14 January 2019, 15:07:06 »
Cool, on both counts.

The only caveat I'd add to your explanation of the optimization process (specifically where you say "that's what we call a 'no-no'" around minute 32) is that dropping things that way could potentially count as "buying XP".  Of course, your ability to do that is limited to the 10% of starting XP rule.  I often shave down Rank for PCs and NPCs that way when I'm making a unit because a Company doesn't need 4 Captains...

I'm not sure how to see that potential. Page 87 says that, "The optimization process must come before attempting to use negative Traits to gain XP..." And part of the optimization process is that it, "...reassigns them [XPs] back into the character's XP Pool." (from, page 87.)

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #73 on: 14 January 2019, 15:08:24 »
Just saw you fixed the INT problem, though I have to say... as much as I encourage Attribute values of 4 across the board (except for EDG), you didn't actually need it, as the requirement from the Affiliation only applied if you took one of the Natural Aptitudes.

This is true. However, I wanted to leave the option open for getting the trait in the future and forgot to mention that. A note of this will be made in the video description.
« Last Edit: 14 January 2019, 15:12:02 by BiggRigg42 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #74 on: 14 January 2019, 15:13:42 »

I'm not sure how to see that potential. Page 87 says that, "The optimization process must come before attempting to use negative Traits to gain XP..." And part of the optimization process is that it, "...reassigns them [XPs] back into the character's XP Pool." (from, page 87.)
Right, not arguing with the order, just that it can be done (later).

I just got to the part where you talked about Rank (just before minute 44).  You mentioned needing Rank 3 on the Officer list, but you haven't taken OCS... you may do that later, but I thought I should mention it here.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #75 on: 14 January 2019, 15:16:39 »
Heh... just saw your Vehicle discussion.  You might want to note that Vehicle is an option in the Tour of Duty module (vice Equipped).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #76 on: 14 January 2019, 15:18:28 »
OK, that looked like the end of your Trait section, but Glass Jaw still hadn't coughed up the 200 XP (that would really have helped) yet.  Also, the character is 23, so is due 200 XP for that too...

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #77 on: 14 January 2019, 15:20:04 »
Right, not arguing with the order, just that it can be done (later).

I just got to the part where you talked about Rank (just before minute 44).  You mentioned needing Rank 3 on the Officer list, but you haven't taken OCS... you may do that later, but I thought I should mention it here.

Oh dang it. I missed the officer skill field requirement for the Rank trait. I don't know that can be fixed without redoing most of the video. I will mention this in the description. Maybe I will re-make this again, maybe not. I don't know.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #78 on: 14 January 2019, 15:21:41 »
Man, your GM is mean... killing you for a missed Perception check?  I mean, I'd absolutely SHOOT a PC for missing a Perception check, but kill 'em?  Nah...  ;D

If you like, I can take a crack at this character you're building with my spreadsheet and see how the math shakes out...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #79 on: 14 January 2019, 15:26:00 »
Just before minute 50, that's "Kentares IV"...

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: 14 January 2019, 15:26:46 »
OK, that looked like the end of your Trait section, but Glass Jaw still hadn't coughed up the 200 XP (that would really have helped) yet.  Also, the character is 23, so is due 200 XP for that too...

There is a discussion about how to fix overlooked things later on, where I fix that glass jaw issue. As for the 200 XP for being 23 (two years over the base line age of 21), I saw that as an optional rule since it can only be used at the gamemaster's discretion (page 49). Page 49 also says that, "...a character's actual age may not conform to the XPs  allotted for his 'baseline age'." So, I wasn't even sure if one is supposed to started adding on XP for every year above 21 when using life modules.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #81 on: 14 January 2019, 15:30:13 »
Man, your GM is mean... killing you for a missed Perception check?  I mean, I'd absolutely SHOOT a PC for missing a Perception check, but kill 'em?  Nah...  ;D

If you like, I can take a crack at this character you're building with my spreadsheet and see how the math shakes out...

Go ahead, but it probably won't check out. I may have forgotten to put in 160 of my flex XP even though I subtracted it from my XP pool. Maybe I should take this down and start over next week. Man it is so hard getting everything right when doing this by hand.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #82 on: 14 January 2019, 15:33:14 »
I always use it myself.  It actually works best when you make a baseline graduate of the Academy (with just Basic Training and MechWarrior fields).  With one Tour of Duty, they're exactly 21.

And I'm laughing out loud at "we just don't hate the Combine enough!"... that's hilarious!  ;D

Cool... I'll fire up the spreadsheet when I'm through this version of the video (13 minutes to go!).  I'll aim for what I think you wanted and shoot for that (i.e., a Rank 3 Officer with a 'mech... I'll probably drop Special Forces for simplicity as mentioned above, though OCS will still make him over 21).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #83 on: 14 January 2019, 16:31:17 »
Ok, the balanced character is attached.  There's still space to take 200 more Negative Traits under the "Bought XP" rule.  Working through it, I found two errors in my sample character, which I will fix and repost in my thread.  I got so wrapped around making the calculations work right, I made some book keeping errors myself, and none of my second checkers caught them (they were also dialed in on the calculations).  Thanks!  :thumbsup:

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 14 January 2019, 16:49:16 »
Awesome.

I think I will keep my video up. The only errors are in minor book keeping, which have been made apparent in the video description. Besides, I ended my video with the message of it being ok to make mistakes because mistakes can be fixed, which is why I also demonstrated how to fix some mistakes. This is a nice message, and I don't want people to feel that they have to start a character over from the beginning when there is a very fixable error.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #85 on: 14 January 2019, 16:52:34 »
Then I'm really glad I fixed my sample character!  The link from your video will probably drive some downloads (or at least I'd hope so!).

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #86 on: 26 January 2019, 23:48:49 »
Then I'm really glad I fixed my sample character!  The link from your video will probably drive some downloads (or at least I'd hope so!).

FYI: I am half way done recording the video on how to use the Excel character spread sheet. I couldn't get it done earlier because I got sick and had a lot real life job stuff. Hopefully, it will be up within the week; this one will take some video editing as well. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #87 on: 27 January 2019, 06:17:25 »
Cool... I have a busy week at work ahead, so I may not be able to get to it until the weekend.  Glad you're feeling better, though!

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #88 on: 29 January 2019, 23:14:29 »
These vids are fantastic and thanks so much for making them!

I do have one question/request however.  For the combat video, you have some sheets that you are using to mark off modifiers, etc.  Were those something that you came up with yourself or are they available somewhere?  I am running an AToW game for some friends and they are having some problems with wrapping their heads around combat and keeping up with all of the modifiers, etc.  I've been trying to give their math a second look, but that isn't always possible (or admittedly thorough) with the chaos of a game table.  I think similar sheets would be a great help with getting them "on track" for combat and was hoping to either use those or come up with something similar myself.

Most of them have never played anything more complex than D&D 5E, so they are finding a bit of a learning curve for AToW.

In any case, thanks again for the videos!  I'll probably post the link to the YT page for my players so they can get a better visual representation. 

The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #89 on: 30 January 2019, 12:07:21 »
These vids are fantastic and thanks so much for making them!

I do have one question/request however.  For the combat video, you have some sheets that you are using to mark off modifiers, etc.  Were those something that you came up with yourself or are they available somewhere?  I am running an AToW game for some friends and they are having some problems with wrapping their heads around combat and keeping up with all of the modifiers, etc.  I've been trying to give their math a second look, but that isn't always possible (or admittedly thorough) with the chaos of a game table.  I think similar sheets would be a great help with getting them "on track" for combat and was hoping to either use those or come up with something similar myself.

Most of them have never played anything more complex than D&D 5E, so they are finding a bit of a learning curve for AToW.

In any case, thanks again for the videos!  I'll probably post the link to the YT page for my players so they can get a better visual representation.

I made that sheet myself in Microsoft Word. Let me see if I can post it up somehow. I made a sheet for the advanced hit location rules and a sheet for the standard rules.
« Last Edit: 30 January 2019, 12:13:28 by BiggRigg42 »