Author Topic: Texas-class battleships that departed on the Exodus.  (Read 2323 times)

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
Texas-class battleships that departed on the Exodus.
« on: 11 March 2013, 17:10:27 »
Technical Readout: 3057 Revised indicates in the description of the Texas-class battleship on page 160 that only 7 of the 52 Texas class vessels constructed survived the Hegemony Campaign and departed with General Aleksandr Kerensky on the Exodus, and that 2 of those 7 were destroyed during the Exodus civil war.

Between the various sourcebooks published to date, it appears that the 7 Texas-class vessels that survived have all been identified:

SLS Perth - boarded and captured by Absalom Truscott's forces above Arcadia during Op KLONDIKE (Historical: Op KLONDIKE)
SLS Prinz Eugen - stored in a naval cache and unclaimed by any of the Clans as late as Op REVIVAL (The Clans: Warriors of Kerensky, plus later sourcebooks like Wars of Reaving)
SLS Bismark - pulled out of the Norfolk cache in the Strana Mechty system, vanished along with Khan Trish Ebon and her group of Clan Wolverine survivors after the battles at Barbados (Betrayal of Ideals)

CCS Ancestral Home - adopted by Clan Coyote, garrison ship for Tamaron after a jump drive failure (Field Manual: Warden Clans)
CSR Mountbatten - adopted by Clan Snow Raven, originally the SLS Mountbatten (Field Manual: Warden Clans)
CWS Nicholas Kerensky - adopted by Clan Wolf (Field Manual: Crusader Clans)
CJF Falcon's Nest - adopted by Clan Jade Falcon (Field Manual: Crusader Clans)

Based on that list, it would seem most likely that the 2 Texas-class vessels that TRO:3057R reports as being destroyed in the Exodus Civil War are the SLS Perth and the SLS Bismark - the former is described as being partly non-functional, and it would seem reasonable that as a part of Nicholas Kerensky's rewriting of history he had the Bismark listed as destroyed in the civil war, rather than being stashed in the Norfolk boneyard and then stolen by the Wolverines - but I wanted to ask if that's actually correct?

I'm a little wary of making assumptions where the Bismark is concerned, because it might be that the Exodus had 8 Texas-class ships in the convoy, that the Clans fought another Texas-class ship during the Exodus Civil War that isn't named in Op KLONDIKE, and that the Bismark was simply erased completely from history. I don't know if there's a list of such minutae as the names of all seven ships in the class to survive the Hegemony Campaign and the Exodus, but the details in TRO:3057 and the various books that touch on Clan-space Texas ships are just complete enough to make me want to solve the academic puzzle they pose if it's possible.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: Texas-class battleships that departed on the Exodus.
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2013, 21:58:45 »
Hello,

I agree. You shouldn't make assumptions there.

If you are asking whether or not we have full accounting on where all the Clan ships are, well, the fact of the matter is that we mainly make it up as we go along, and the fact-checkers review the data later just to make sure that nothing published is too blatantly wrong.

Thanks,

- Herb

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
Re: Texas-class battleships that departed on the Exodus.
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2013, 04:14:18 »
I was thinking more that because the detail on the Texas numbers during the Exodus and after the Pentagon Civil War were so specific at seven and five, while most ship numbers are kept fairly vague, the Texas fleet was actually named and tracked. Unfortunately, someone PM'd me after seeing my question here to point out that Field Manual: Updates lists the Smoke Jaguars as having a Texas-class battleship too, that the Inner Sphere forces scuttled after the Annihilation of the Jaguars to stop one of the other Clans gaining it - which means that we have at least 8 Texas-class ships on the Exodus, and at least 6 that survived the Pentagon Civil War. So I guess the detail in TRO:3057 Revised has been superceded, although I'm not sure if it's something I should suggest an errata for as it may be something that can be explained as ComStar simply not having access to all of the information when they compiled the report.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo