Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems  (Read 12780 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Reply #210 on: 07 March 2024, 23:46:32 »
Jake Guetzil is now a Hurricane.  It was pretty massive so here is the link:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/carolina-hurricanes-acquire-f-jake-guentzel-from-pittsburgh-penguins-f-bunting-prospects-picks-1.2086544

Still waiting for a goalie to be traded.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #211 on: 08 March 2024, 15:07:47 »
Holy crap, guys... I don't even know where to start on the past 24 hours or so of trades. Guentzel, Maroon, Kuznetsov, Zucker... and there's more coming, based on the cap-clearing moves the Avalanche have been making, among others.

And we have just shy of 24 hours to go before the deadline.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #212 on: 08 March 2024, 15:26:36 »
Hertl to Vegas was not something I saw happening.  Once again Vegas will be squeezing every bit out of that cap space this year and once again will need to dump some salary when they get to the end of the season.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2024, 15:58:27 by Firesprocket »

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #213 on: 08 March 2024, 16:02:06 »
Wow.

Per Boston sports radio, Bruins attempted a trade with the Kings to send Linus Ullmark out there- Linus nixed the trade via his NTC because he didn't want to be moved out to the west coast and away from his family.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #214 on: 08 March 2024, 16:03:08 »
Once again Vegas will be squeezing every bit out of that cap space this year and once again will need to dump some salary when they get to the end of the season.

That is one of weirdest things about the NHL.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #215 on: 08 March 2024, 19:51:44 »
That is one of weirdest things about the NHL.
It's really only a recent trend in the past 5 years that Vegas or any other team that I can remember stretching things as far as possible in the regular season and dealing with it in the off season.

In other news today NJ traded for 2 sub par goalies while sending another out the other way.  I can't imagine anything good comming out of this.  Probably a sign an eldrich horror is working the front office behind the scenes.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #216 on: 08 March 2024, 22:55:45 »
Wings stand pat, opting to not give up draft picks, and also to keep developing our own talent from within.  We can add to our depth, we can possibly find a gem worth keeping long-term.  Or we can develop the kind of guys that other teams will trade their own draft picks to us in order to acquire.

It's a good place to be.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #217 on: 09 March 2024, 02:09:23 »
I have to think the trade demands of teams willing to deal a quality goalie were pretty high considering how few were dealt.  There isn't a significant name in the UFA goalie pool this off season to be had so the Red Wings are going to take on a vet they'd be in a better position in the off season to do it.  I still think they will make the playoffs, but this little mini slide for both them and Tampa Bay are on atm has given the Islanders a shot of sneaking into a WC spot.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #218 on: 09 March 2024, 23:13:58 »
I’m non-commital.  I want to see the Wings return to the playoffs, but I also know that with injuries and certain other dynamics in play it, chances can swing either way. 

It’s something the Lions taught me - hope for the best but don’t be surprised when the worst keeps happening.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #219 on: 10 March 2024, 22:01:03 »
Could be worse... you could have been outscored 15-1 in your last three games.

...hello, Pittsburgh.

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #220 on: 11 March 2024, 08:56:23 »
That is worse.  Though Wings stats over the last 5 games are only marginally better.

But, those Pittsburgh execs have a hard job ahead of blowing up what's left of those great teams just to try and get what they can toward a rebuild. 

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #221 on: 12 March 2024, 22:34:47 »
Habs delivered the ugliest shutout win I've ever seen, getting in all their offense on a shell-shocked Elvis Merzlikins in the first six minutes and then praying that Cayden Primeau could carry them the rest of the way.  And he stood tall, actually having to work this time for his second shutout this season (the first having come in a game where the Ducks made it clear from the opening puck drop that they were mailing it
 in).  If he can keep displaying this form, then he'll have finally proven he belongs in the NHL (even if only as a backup).

Final shots: 41-23 Jackets.
Final score:  3-0 Habs.

Cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #222 on: 13 March 2024, 14:14:55 »
Upward of 13 no trade/movement clauses will make blowing up the current Pens roster problematic.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #223 on: 13 March 2024, 15:50:47 »
Totally agreed.  Also, I think they would be loyal to Crosby, Malkin, and LeTang regardless, and probably let them stay as long as they want and retire there.  Which is admirable.  But problematic, like you said. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #224 on: 19 March 2024, 17:55:28 »
Chris Simon died.  He was 52 according to the link below.

While it isn't mentioned what caused his death, it does note that he suffered from CET.  He played the game rough, I don't need to elaborate on that. 

RIP

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/former-nhl-enforcer-chris-simon-dies-at-52?fbclid=IwAR36M5rk6gy3X84eZ7ngOn0Q2fRfQeMSeXUtAatMfj29y0h2pORhIb92DiU

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #225 on: 26 March 2024, 02:29:00 »
Chris Simon died.  He was 52 according to the link below.
Another that left us far to early.  He was my favorite Cap during the time he was here and in 99-2000 he potted 29 goals and led the team in what turned ou to be a down year for Peter Bondra.  May he rest in peace.

In a more up-beat note, there are multiple games with playoff ramifications tonight:

Washington vs Detroit for what is currently the WC2.  The winner of this has control of their playoff seeding for the forseeable future.

Rangers vs Flyers.  Rangers win they stay on top in the division and Flyers could potentially be dropped to the WC2 if the Caps win.

Hurricanes vs Pens.  A Hurricanes win and a Ranger loss they would leap frog back into the lead of the Metro.

Bruins vs Panthers.  This is the big game of the night.  Any hopes that Boston has to win the division require they win this game and preferably in regulation.

Stars and Avs are both involved in games against teams with losing records.  Dallas really needs to win and the Avs to lose in order to move into first place.  Avs currently own the first few tie breaks in the event they would have the same amount of points at the end of the season.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #226 on: 26 March 2024, 19:58:26 »
Another that left us far to early.  He was my favorite Cap during the time he was here and in 99-2000 he potted 29 goals and led the team in what turned ou to be a down year for Peter Bondra.  May he rest in peace.

Got to say, Simon was my second favorite Av after Joe Sakic. 

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #227 on: 05 April 2024, 07:20:48 »
The last wild card spot in the East has five teams circling it (four of whom also could claim the third spot in the Metro)- Islanders, Capitals, Flyers, Red Wings, and Penguins. And at this point I really have no idea who's going to get in. A week ago I'd have said the Capitals were in the best spot for it, but after a couple of shockingly-lackluster performances this week (including last night's 4-1 bed-soiling against their hated rivals in Pittsburgh)... they'd have to really show me something to get me back on board in believing they can make this work. It's amazing, watching them right now- a team that has clawed its way into a spot like this despite being deadline sellers, making noise all winter long, and when they get to a point where they can put their foot down and start getting rid of, say, the PENGUINS of all teams... they wilt. Losing that game would have essentially ended the Penguins' season- not officially, but the climb would have been too much to realistically climb. Instead, they're even closer in the rear view of the rest of the pack now, and the Caps are the ones looking like they might be lunch meat.

My wife is a diehard Caps fan, and got tickets at Christmas to the home game coming up against Boston (yes, I'll be in black and yellow), and honestly we started wondering if it was going to be important as a preview of a playoff round between us the following week, or at least a game the Caps could potentially clinch their playoff spot with. Now, it has all the hallmarks of the kind of game that no one cares about- a home squad eliminated and just running out the clock before they can go home, and a visiting Boston squad resting guys before the real war breaks out a few days later. Bummer.

But, on the bright side, the remaining teams in the hunt are in for a heck of a finish, Pittsburgh included. From a hockey fan perspective, that's going to be a lot of fun to watch.

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #228 on: 06 April 2024, 00:01:29 »
If the Wings get in, it's by luck. 

But people who think Larkin is unimportant to the team have to eat crow whether they like it or not - the guy goes out with an injury and the Wings fell apart for the next three weeks. 

Anyway, I'm bushed.  Got barely any sleep last night and had to mind all kinds of business all day.  And it's been a long one.  Life is beautiful.   :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #229 on: 11 April 2024, 17:01:11 »
I need the playoffs to start ASAP and truly wish their was no 2nd wild card.  None of theses team in contention for the last spot look like they could win a single playoff game.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #230 on: 11 April 2024, 21:48:45 »
Sadly, this is true.  Without assessing anyone other teams, the Red Wings have been exposed, and it's not pretty.  At all.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #231 on: 13 April 2024, 14:05:36 »
Looks like the 'Yotes' days in the Arizona desert are indeed numbered: 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/arizona-coyotes-players-told-team-is-moving-to-utah/

Move could go through as soon as the day after the regular season ends.

Cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #232 on: 13 April 2024, 19:11:37 »
June 28th is likely the day everyone finds out for certain.  I'd read elsewhere about the land auction listed in that article.  However the way public land auctions are handled in AZ made it seem like the chances of the auction happening before the team's hand is forced into a decision unlikely that they would stay in AZ.  This at least seems to give them a very small chance they could stay rather than a move be announced at the draft.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #233 on: 13 April 2024, 19:12:39 »
And if they do move to Salt Lake the new team name better be the Shakers  :cheesy:

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #234 on: 13 April 2024, 19:33:35 »
That rumor seems to have traction.  I found this written an hour ago.  The article is attributed to Stephen Whyno who was previoulsly a Caps beat reporter.  So it looks like we may hear an announcement by next week.

https://sports.yahoo.com/coyotes-sale-utah-jazz-owner-231832630.html

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #235 on: 14 April 2024, 01:39:33 »
After today we know all 8 teams in the West and have a pretty good idea of who the top two seeds will likely be after Vancouver's next game.  The East has the top 6 figured out and now we just have to figure out who the Wild Cards slots are at the bottom and who is going to be the top seeds based on the outcome of the Ranger's Ottawa game tomorrow.    As for that Boston v Washington game, both teams have motivation to win rather than play it out.  It shoulld be a pretty interesting game.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #236 on: 15 April 2024, 07:02:46 »
Headed downtown in a few hours for Bruins/Capitals. My white B's jersey is ready to get thrown on after work, my wife's red Ovechkin jersey is already on her.

She needs these points desperately to avoid being bored next week. I... honestly don't know that winning this helps Boston all that much in the grand scheme of things, but I'm petty enough to want her to go home sad.

Go B's.  :evil:

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #237 on: 15 April 2024, 16:52:11 »
Boston wins tonight and it locks up the division. In combination with a Rangers regulation loss still leaves the Bruins with a shot at the number 1 seed in the conference.

An Islanders win secures a playoff spot.

A Red Wings regulation loss tonight will eliminate them in the case of a future tie breaker.

Pittsburgh is playing against Nashville in a where they need to win and Nashville might want to lose if want less jet lag from travel during the playoffs.

Kings win makes it more likely they are facing Edmonton in the playoffs rather than playing the Canucks or Stars.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #238 on: 16 April 2024, 14:43:59 »
After the dust settles from last night the Rangers locked up the President's trophy.  A Florida win makes the Bruins last game of the season still have an impact on the division title.

If the Caps win tonight they are the 8th seed.  The Flyers can only make the playoffs if they win in regulation.  In a close game that means we should have some 6th attacker action in a late game tie.

The Red Wings have to win tonight.  The other permutations we will leave until later.

All that said I will be shocked if the Caps pull off the victory tonight.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #239 on: 16 April 2024, 15:43:13 »
As I predicted, the Wings only get into the postseason by luck. 

Register