Author Topic: MrJake's Interminable Questions Thread  (Read 33623 times)

scJazz

• Captain
Re: MrJake's Interminable Questions Thread
« Reply #120 on: 09 November 2017, 22:20:39 »
it is in the Extras tab at the bottom... Activate Hidden Unit

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #121 on: 11 November 2017, 21:34:38 »
So, is there any rhyme or reason to the mix of particular units that are chosen to be the opponents? By which I mean, I just got a opponent's list that almost couldn't possibly be anymore complimentary to each other (and very challenging). Was that just chance?

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #122 on: 12 November 2017, 15:56:14 »
To paraphrase Tom Petty... "You got lucky babe... when they found you."

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #123 on: 12 November 2017, 16:34:27 »
Ha!

Roll 2d6: 6 + 6 = 12... Struck for Critical Hit #P
Roll 2d6: 6 + 6 = 12... 3 Critical Hits
Critical Hit to Partner Griping
Critical Hit to Partner Griping
Critical Hit to Comm Interface

Unit is DEAD.

>:D

btw, This still makes me laugh.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #124 on: 12 November 2017, 23:12:37 »
Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #125 on: 13 November 2017, 21:22:04 »
After fully integrating ground attack air forces into my game play, I now understand why no one wants to play Aerotech.

Edit: Also, after fighting through a couple Star League Cache scenarios while working for ComStar, I've come to the conclusion that the best MechWarriors in the IS are all ComStar Technicians.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2017, 23:42:36 by MrJake »

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #126 on: 14 November 2017, 11:31:24 »
After fully integrating ground attack air forces into my game play, I now understand why no one wants to play Aerotech.

It is one of those things that takes practice. Once practiced ASF/CF units on the Ground Map are just rude.  >:D Keep trying.  8)

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #127 on: 14 November 2017, 18:08:58 »
Yeah, I was just a little frustrated. Small map, and the one unit I REALLY wanted to vaporize kept moving outside the reach of my turn radius.

Meanwhile, the 4th Succession War just went Live, and I'm off to Castor on behalf ComStar for a diversionary raid against some stupid pirates, instead of making history. The contract is short, super sweet, and I'm pretty sure it's related to the Retainer they just offered me, but that I've not accepted.

:-X Just between you and me, I think they want to keep my unit of (mostly) Terrans out of the war. Either that or they know that Castor is about to get hammered and, thus, would make a good place to dispose of some bodies. I guess I'll find out when the OpFor shows up. :-X

Edit: I'd have spoilered the above, btw, for extra conspiratorial goodness, but apparently I don't remember how. So. Yeah.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2017, 18:18:05 by MrJake »

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #128 on: 15 November 2017, 21:06:09 »
In the pre-clan era, is there any purpose to the (Exchange) designation in the Salvage clause of a contract?

Also, would it be reasonable to interpret it as meaning your employer is short on spare parts and will insist on paying in cash for the mercenary's portion?

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #129 on: 15 November 2017, 21:23:05 »
It's not the best kind of salvage clause, no. I generally avoid it, especially on contracts with low parts availability (raids).

Your interpretation is perfectly reasonable.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #130 on: 15 November 2017, 21:41:30 »
I'm not MrJake, I hope he doesn't mind me placing this questions here. 

What's the difference between a 'mech with a command console and a 'mech with the command quirk?  I mean, as far as megamek/mekhq is concerned? 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #131 on: 16 November 2017, 00:14:45 »
A purple dragon did me a solid, once. So, you're cool by me. O0

yukamichi

• Corporal
« Reply #132 on: 16 November 2017, 16:03:53 »
A Command Console is a piece of equipment that requires a second pilot in order to get the initiative bonus, and who can take over control of the vehicle in the event the main pilot is killed or disabled (at the cost of losing the initiative bonus).

The Command Battlemech quirk is "free" (although the Quirk rules suggest balancing positive and negative quirks for fairness's sake, the "canon" quirks in both Megamek and the TROs don't do such), and only provides a +1 initiative bonus.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #133 on: 18 November 2017, 00:41:58 »
I just discovered that somewhere along the way I picked up a soldier with a +6 Tactics.

Other than Artemis or Ripley, what's a good call sign for a female super-soldier?

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #134 on: 18 November 2017, 00:51:47 »
My unit has offspring now.

Some of them have shockingly high Small Arms ratings for infants.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #135 on: 18 November 2017, 01:16:51 »
I just discovered that somewhere along the way I picked up a soldier with a +6 Tactics.

Other than Artemis or Ripley, what's a good call sign for a female super-soldier?

Amazon? Wonder Woman?

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #136 on: 18 November 2017, 02:20:34 »
Athena!

Also...

One of the kids was born with so much knowledge of Infantry tactics that she is not eligible for training.

Southernskies

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #137 on: 18 November 2017, 05:05:22 »
One of the kids was born with so much knowledge of Infantry tactics that she is not eligible for training.
Please post the stats for that one!  (parentage optional)

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #138 on: 18 November 2017, 16:01:19 »
Mother:

Lt. JG Candice Chen
Commander: Security Squad/Commander: Hellhounds (Training Lance)
Small Arms 3
Anti-Mech 3
Tactics +2
Leadership +1
Edge 1
SA: Tactical Genius

Father (Unknown, but rumored to be...):

Lt. JG Bill Zhao
Commander: XTC Orbital Insertion Unit ("Falling Angels")/Commander: Support Operations Command (Infantry and Air Support)
Small Arms: 2
Anti-Mech: 4
Tactics: +3
Leadership: +1
Edge: 1
SA: Tactical Genius

Super-Baby:

Aythegul Chen
Small Arms: 4
XP: 6

Super-Nanny:

Corporal (Soon to be Lt. JG) Kyla Armstrong
Small Arms: 2
Tactics: +6

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #139 on: 21 November 2017, 15:58:18 »
When a Founding Member dies or otherwise leaves a unit, shouldn't they take with them a portion of the total accumulated wealth of the unit?

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #140 on: 21 November 2017, 17:35:40 »
 [drool]if you are using the Retirement rules... yeah... they do

yukamichi

• Corporal
« Reply #141 on: 21 November 2017, 19:57:34 »
The way I see it, they're already paying themselves a decent salary plus retirement roll bonuses, and using unit resources to keep their own personal mechs up and running, so no. Particularly to that last point, I generally think of "Bring Your Own Mech" as the most common sort of buy-in, so if you leave with it that's generally what I see as the equivalent of "cashing out." I've never played using the shares system, which may or may not have its own way of representing such a thing.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #142 on: 21 November 2017, 20:06:45 »
[drool]if you are using the Retirement rules... yeah... they do

Well, I thought I was.

I'm sure I'm on the Shares System, but I had a Founding Member pass away, and there was no mention of a settlement on the pop-up.

It could have been that they were "Non-Commander" infantry. The Founding Member box was ticked, so they got a share of the pay, but didn't seem to get any extra when they passed.

Possibly, I missed it, but I don't think so.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #143 on: 21 November 2017, 20:13:19 »
The way I see it, they're already paying themselves a decent salary plus retirement roll bonuses, and using unit resources to keep their own personal mechs up and running, so no. Particularly to that last point, I generally think of "Bring Your Own Mech" as the most common sort of buy-in, so if you leave with it that's generally what I see as the equivalent of "cashing out." I've never played using the shares system, which may or may not have its own way of representing such a thing.

Well, for non-founding members, it works just as you describe. Your Mek buys you in; your Mek cashes you out. For "Founding Members," tho, it works a little differently. In exchange for putting up the original funds and equipment, in addition to a Mek or whatever equipment is needed to perform their services, they get an extra share of the income, and a cut of the captured materiel, the loot, so to speak, when they leave or the company dissolves.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work.

ajh

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #144 on: 22 November 2017, 18:03:40 »
MegaMek seems to have a little difficulty when making Deployment decisions. Is there anything to be done when things "hang"?

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #145 on: 22 November 2017, 18:36:18 »
Two things you want to do:

Step #1: Check the logs/megamek.log file. Look for stuff that looks like errors (not sure how familiar you are with java stack dumps, but it's usually got the word "Exception" and a bunch of lines that look "different" from the standard log entries). Post a report on github with the problem description, steps to reproduce and attached autosave + logfile.

Step #2: If you ran into an error, it's probably not recoverable. Kick the bot and do the deployment yourself by starting up another megamek client instance and connecting to your game - with the same exact name (case sensitive, parens, etc) as the bot you just kicked. Then disconnect the new client and replace player from your original client.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #146 on: 22 November 2017, 22:54:31 »
 If you give princess a fast moving Mech or vehicle she takes a long while to calculate all the moves and such. I run Battalion on Battalion usually and I average 1-2 turns per hour if I am lucky.

The faster or jumpier the Mech the longer Princess takes.

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #147 on: 22 November 2017, 23:35:58 »
Battalion?!

Holy TAC's, RATman!

I can't even imagine....

MrJake

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #148 on: 23 November 2017, 00:16:35 »
I thought Infantry didn't count toward Lance weight. Did I read that wrong...somewhere?

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #149 on: 23 November 2017, 01:19:22 »
 I find it more appealing that Lance on Lance or Company on Company. To me Battalion sized or even Regiment sized is where things really shine. Nothing better than when you have a Company or Battalion smash an enemy's flank and begin rolling them up. Or when, just as your flank is collapsing, your reserve force arrives on that flank and saves the day.

Lance on Lance or Company on Company I have had over 1/2 a Company destroyed. But I take less losses overall when I do Battalion plus battles. All my supporting assets are on the field of battle.