Author Topic: Simple Green---Testify!  (Read 2093 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Simple Green---Testify!
« on: 31 August 2012, 13:55:50 »
used Simple Green for the first time ever...

Oh wow.

I pulled out my cage that tines the small tub I use to strip minis in and the paint was just hanging off. I hosed it with the shower nozzle on high and suddenly I had a mesh basket full of brand-new looking minis.

Did NOT impress me on the glue however. I don't know if it needs more than 24 hours to break down superglue or if I should go to a 2-stage system for that, but still! even got the pain out the armpits!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
Re: Simple Green---Testify!
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2012, 14:19:43 »
Your basic nail polish remover will soften the superglue to a point where it can easily be removed.  But, avoid using it on plastic minis or they will get all gooey.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2012, 14:38:11 »
It did practically nothing for my minis. Created MORE work actually.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2012, 14:49:40 »
I wasn't impressed when I used it.  I started using a Pinesol-Dawn dish soap mixture which cleans the minis pretty well.   

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2012, 15:11:17 »
It really depends what kind of paint you use. testors enamels and Simple Green get along very well. Most acrylics will come off too but with less ease.

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2012, 15:25:53 »
For glue, I use a semi-paste paint remover... Stuff is nasty though. Eats glue, yes. But it also eats plastics and burns skin... It'll also turn most fillers, putties and the like to goo. What I have found it doesn't do very well is remove paint.

As for Simple Green... That is my primary paint remover. Does a great job, and you can leave stuff sitting for months (and I usually do), and not have it hurt it. Doesn't hurt plastics either. Admittedly, it doesn't always work as you describe, and a toothbrush or two will help. But overall it's some pretty good stuff.

Caz

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2012, 17:06:27 »
Nitromors eats everything

Just don't use it indoors!
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2012, 17:13:01 »
Mötsenböcker's LIFT OFF is an organic paint remover I use. It does work somewhat on superglue and works well with acrillics. It does not destroy plastic if it does not sit on it for too long. It will soften the plastic if it sits for a long period of time.

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2012, 10:00:56 »
Have never used simple green, but will have to give it a try. O0
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

Sigma

• Captain
  • N-scale Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: 01 September 2012, 10:24:51 »
Oven cleaner for plastics for me. Acetone for everything else.

Only tried simple green and purple power on a few larger things. Wound up way happier with a little caustic soda and a toothbrush.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 01 September 2012, 10:33:32 »
 I have used pine cleaner not impress with it. Made the paint gritty longer clean time and rough on the hands . I have been using Simple Green Max which I can't find anymore. Down to the last gal. I think the trick SG is how long you soak it. The longer the better. Superglue I use acetone bath to remove superglue. The only thing I find in cleaning BT minis, some clean better then others. I don't know if it the lead or the pewter.

RedMarauder

• Warrant Officer
  • It's time to 'Mech House!
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2012, 11:02:36 »
I know it's about Simple Green, but I've been using Purple Power to strip mine for years and it works wonders.  You just have to use it in a ventilated area.  It breaks down super glue pretty well, too, but you have to leave it in your container of choice for about 30 minutes.  No it doesn't hurt plastic, I use them on my WH40K minis all the time.
Save the Humans.

RangerRob

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Campaign GM
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2012, 14:04:21 »
Former Pinesol user....

Tried Simple green once...when I was out of Pinesol and had some SG under the kitchen sink.

Never went back...Simple Green for the win.

Plus I don't feel like I have to be decontaminated if I get some on my skin when scrubbing the minis.  Same can't be said or Pinesol or the other stuff.
Rangerrob

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2012, 17:06:49 »
lot's of good suggestions in here :)
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2012, 18:05:03 »
Former Pinesol user....

Tried Simple green once...when I was out of Pinesol and had some SG under the kitchen sink.

Never went back...Simple Green for the win.

Plus I don't feel like I have to be decontaminated if I get some on my skin when scrubbing the minis.  Same can't be said or Pinesol or the other stuff.

Seconded.

I had exactly the same experience.

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

Register