Author Topic: Teaser for a proposed...thing (Thread 2)  (Read 20879 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Teaser for a proposed...thing (Thread 2)
« on: 12 February 2020, 15:44:59 »
Because Liz does not approve of genocide, even of the enemy?

It works better if you consider "Elizabeth Ngo" as a set of character traits, and the Thirteen as "Elizabeth as a Cylon."

Liz-as-a-Cylon is loyal to Cylons-her people, just like "Human Liz" is loyal to Kowloon.

because her central 'virtue' is loyalty to her People.  Original flavor Liz is loyal to Kowloon and Humanity.  The Triplets are loyal to New Circe, and Thirteen is loyal to the Cylon Race.

not to their politics or priorities, but to the 'race' as a whole-all three of her are focused in one way or another on the goal of preventing extinction.  All three versions of her (Liz, The Triplets, and the Thirteens) are rather ruthless and calculating, with a belief that 'some must be sacrificed if all are to be saved'.

because that's as central to the entity as her/their intolerance for corruption and incompetence.

Each of the three aspects, is rooted in a sort of 'inner' moral dogma, which puts that which they are loyal to ahead of themselves, all three versions are to some degree, intensely political in nature-but not 'courtly politics' so much as 'mob don politics'.

Thirteen's banishment of the Ones was not due to their desire for Genocide, but rather, the incompetence of their long term planning.  If she could exterminate an entire people yet keep her own people (Mostly) intact and fully viable to rebuild, that is what she would do-but there's the 'business' sensibility of not wasting what you do not have to.  To fully extirpate the Ones and discredit them, she arranged for them to have the best chance to redeem themselves-knowing full well they would fail utterly.

Because she had no belief in the content of the Ones collective character.  (A poor leader and poor followers by extension, as shown by his/their incompetence at a plan guaranteed to succeed.)

The Triplets have perfect confidence in their Humans, New Circe, and the AI intelligences resident there-direct intervention was only needed to keep the single Cavil in custody. (Hence, only sticking  to racking up a kill count at the special holding facility, and then only because the defenses were pointed the wrong direction.)  also, at least one of them is an outright psychopath.

clear? Thirteen isn't even BOTHERED by Genocide-if it's competently executed. (convincing her of competence is kind of difficult, she tends to see extreme measures like Genocide as a sign of other forms of incompetence and finds incompetence intolerable by definition, but THEORETICALLY...)

This is shown in her point about the Cylon Colony being a weakness and fuming at the fact the Ones left it a weakness instead of establishing backups.

In all her versions, (originals and copies) she has a keen belief in Entropy and a driving need to resist it.

In a sense, you can pick this up from Elizabeth's moves on her own; She took in hunted refugees and incorporated them into her system, established Universities and 'second chance' academies, rebuilt first her homeworld's economy, and then set about revamping and rebuilding the economic base of her home region of space, forced diplomacy through, all to resist collapse and the impacts of social and economic entropy.

this comes from growing up knowing that Entropy had her by the short-hairs.  That impending sense not only of mortality, but of unfairness, mixed with a belief that she needs to do more.  This all carried through with the Thirteens-but with a focus on the Cylon 'race' or people.

The way the Cavils had been managing the war, is in her eyes a constant march of 'almost successes' mixed with outright failures.  They killed the humans of the Cyrannus system, but in the process rendered the prize worthless, they hunted the survivors playing cat-and-mouse head-games instead of delivering the final blow, and made an enemy that consistently proceeded to beat the silicon snot out of them at every encounter.  Cavil grasped for more control and made worse mistakes with every grasp for that control, driving further and further into defeat and Entropy (signified by losing better than half his siblings entirely.)

To her, she needed a humiliation that would prevent him from regaining influence once he was deposed, because she sees his errors as grave symptoms of impending collapse.

her view is longer-term than her estimated survival under optimal conditions; she intends the Cylon people to outlive the GALAXY.  that's her 'horizon', and it leaves room for others to coexist...because it's more efficient than trying to exterminate them.

« Last Edit: 12 February 2020, 23:11:58 by Trace Coburn »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
Re: Re: Teaser for a proposed...thing.
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2020, 16:09:29 »
her view is longer-term than her estimated survival under optimal conditions; she intends the Cylon people to outlive the GALAXY.  that's her 'horizon', and it leaves room for others to coexist...because it's more efficient than trying to exterminate them.

That makes a lot of sense.

If nothing else, those who know that you aim to exterminate them will aim to exterminate you out of sheer self-defense.

And just like it is said that the prey, running for its life, is more motivated than the predator running for its next meal, someone who fights for the life of their species will fight harder than someone just following orders.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Re: Teaser for a proposed...thing.
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2020, 17:48:28 »
Those thinking the Cylons made their "best" effort there would be in for a rude surprise if Thirteen actually wanted them dead...

Dave Talley

• Major
Re: Teaser for a proposed...thing (Thread 2)
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2020, 23:35:35 »
Tagging the new thread
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2020, 23:50:58 »
The inevitable clash when all these 'Liz meet will be epic.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2020, 00:37:28 »
The inevitable clash when all these 'Liz meet will be epic.

Imagine everyone else's reaction,

"Dear God, three of them!  All my worst nightmares at once!"

"No sir, all Thirteen!"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2020, 01:03:06 »
Of course there is the other possibility but I'm having difficulty finding the right Slayers clip to link but suffice it to say "It's worse than that.  They've bonded!"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2020, 01:34:48 »
Of course there is the other possibility but I'm having difficulty finding the right Slayers clip to link but suffice it to say "It's worse than that.  They've bonded!"

OH Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho...
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2020, 01:42:47 »

"No sir, all Thirteen!"

Kowloon Stands.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2020, 02:12:12 »

"No sir, all Thirteen!"
The Triplets would probably would go after Thirteen first as Liz would be the revered 'Mother' figure.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2020, 05:28:08 »

"No sir, all Thirteen!"
Well, there is a Mad Man in a Box floating around....
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2020, 11:48:42 »
Dinh's Rock Bar, New Circe...

Lance Corporal James "Jimmy" Qua sat alone at a table in the back.  well, he was physically alone, anyway.  Just him, and two glasses with a bottle.

His glass emptied with disciplined regularity, and he'd cleared a pitcher of Beer before moving on to the bottle.

The other glass..? well, the beer was from the first pour.  it was flat.  Had been that way for hours now.

Occasionally, someone would wander over, and he gave the same excuse, "My buddy's gonna be here shortly, sorry, seat's saved." 

He'd been doing this almost nightly for the last week.  Walk in after close of business at the base, sit down, order a pitcher and two glasses.  pour both, and one glass, the glass for his 'friend' would sit there all night, until the young scout-sniper would get too drunk to hold himself up.  Then, Dinh would call the security patrols to take the young man back to the guest barracks.

"Sniper teams are kind of a different cut." being Dinh's explanation to the local-borns who worked for him, "His 'friend' is his spotter...was his spotter.  guy's grieving, let him be, eh?"

but he didn't go into how those teams were different.  Tonight, Qua was talking to empty air after only half a pitcher, the bottle was still sealed.

"Call the security police, but also call the post hospital." Dinh instructed.  "Tell them to be careful."

and then, he went into the office, and picked up a stun-darter, checking the charges.

"Trouble?"

"Yeah." Dinh said, "I've seen that before.   Tell Gurda to turn on the detector on the bathroom, and stand by."

'the Detector' on the bathroom at Dinh's was something he'd installed without any explanation to his wife, or the staff, and the monthly function checks included a pretty expensive technical going-over.  Generally, most bars put a weapons detector on the front door, not the door to the head.

Dinh came out, and looked to the table.

Qua was up.  It took a moment to spot the young man's movements, heading for the pisser.

Gurda was on her way there about ten feet behind the young marine.

the subtlely placed green light showing the detector was active, flashed red.

Dinh vaulted the bar, narrowly missing two patrons as the bathroom door closed, he hit the door with his shoulder-

"Put it down!!"

It startled Qua, and the first shot went into the ceiling.

life turned to a blur at that moment, he wrestled the hold-out pistol out of the boy's fingers, and cold-cocked him with a single uppercut.

everything in the bar was stillness, the band on stage froze and everyone could see through the doorway.

Trinh made her way through the throng to check the unconscious man over, and Dinh struggled to his fee- to his foot, his prosthetic having broken straps fell off while still stuck in his pants-leg.  "Nothing to see here until the police arrive, folks, carry on...How is he, Trini?"

Trinh finished examining, "He's gonna have a hell of a bruise and a neck-ache, but you didn't break his neck or kill him..." she retrieved the handgun while Dinh re-secured his leg.  "This guy was in the City State?"

"yeah, I think so."  Dinh answered.  "Diagnosis?"

"Survivor's guilt." she said, "the only Marines in the City State were sent down as a detachment, we didn't get a lot of those guys back...and this guy's unit patch is from the Bonnie Ellyn."

one of the Cutters that died in the orbital fight-The Bonnie Ellyn was modified, a 'special forces' model under testing, technically a new class of ship, it included a launcher for releasing stealthed, one-man single-use landing pods for inserting sniper teams instead of one of the boat bays.

Most of the Marines dropped by the Bonnie Ellyn landed on the southeast side of town.  Dinh knew from Singer that only one of those twenty four marines made it all the way through...and his ship had been lost with all hands while screening BSG Pegasus.

Crews get closer than family.  Dinh knew it, so did Trinh and Singer and the other survivors of the Nueva Pueblo.  Sniper teams get even closer.

The post security detail arrived and the party atmosphere went quiet as uniformed military police and a couple of Medical techs made their way in.

"This man is a suicide risk." Dinh enunciated, "He needs to be placed on floor seven asap, with standard Red Status precautions, you'll need to assign someone who speaks a H'mong Vietnamese dialect and has experience dealing with PTSD and Survivor's Guilt.  Repeat it back to me, Sergeant."

"Red status suicide risk, Locked ward, needs a H'mong/Vietnamese speaker with experience and training handling PTSD and survivor's guilt."  the NCO replied.  "Got it...god, this kid looks too young to be in a uniform."

"Yeah, they all do." Dinh told him, "Come by when you're off, I'll keep the bar open."

"Aye sir." the NCO said with a grin, "Mind if we bring some friends?"

"You better."

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 13 February 2020, 13:04:18 »
New Circe General Hospital...

"How did he get past a basic screening?"  Doctor Laura Hoffritz was aghast after examining the charts on the patient in intensive care.  "This kid should still be in high school!!"

Hauptmann Jeff Carnes was kind of without words for a moment, "I...his records were in order?"

"Ah yes, 'alles in ordnung'?  those records are a sham, Hauptmann.  If Private First Class Chao, Lim San, is eighteen, I'll eat this chart!  the boy in my burn ward can't be more than sixteen, if that, and what kind of mickey-mouse outfit are you people running that you failed to catch that on his deployment physical?"

"How old do you think he is?" Lt. Vilders was from the New Circe Provost, right now, he's here because there's a very good chance someone would need to be taken into custody.

Just who? that was still in the air.

"Well, based on tissue sampling and bone sections, Private Chao is in his fifteenth year, he might be closing on sixteen.  That's at least a year younger than is legal even in the Lyran Commonwealth.  I don't see any medical way that kid could be eighteen going on nineteen the way his records state.  There are no telltales of Eugenic or Genetic alterations, he's not an ex-vitro or creche child...but even here, he's still legally a minor child."

"There weren't many survivors from his battalion."  Carnes noted, "Heck, they were folded into mine and I'm still waiting for confirmation to Kommandant...Look, Kowloon's on the periphery edge, sometimes records aren't very well kept, especially-"

"How did he pass a basic physical?" she reiterated, "Your methods aren't that primitive, for god's sake."

"I can't answer that here, I'll have to contact AFFC headquarters and get his full 201 file, not the abridged version they usually let Company level commanders have."

"Doctor, they're not citizens of New Circe..."

"Can you at least contact his parents?" she pressed.

"No parents to contact." Carnes replied, "We already tried when his survival was confirmed.  I assure you, doctor, we're working on this...but it's a long way from here to Kowloon, and Private Chao's records-"

"SLDF Regulations.  your units were placed under SLDF Regulations.  Under those, I'm going to have to place Private Chao, Lim San, under arrest pending an inquiry into fraudulent enlistment."

"Will that impact his treatment?"

"No.  it will impact where he ends up once he's conscious and mobile again, especially if the investigation uncovers serious irregularities..." Lt. Vilders made some notations, "It also changes who has to approve some of these procedures, Doctor.  I need to make some calls."

"Who are you calling?"

"New Circe Social Services.  the Medical determination states your private is an at-risk child with no means of contacting his parents."  Vilders said with a sour look, "I also have to start a war-crimes investigation, if the AFFC is enlisting child soldiers..."

"I'll cooperate.  Jesus..."
« Last Edit: 13 February 2020, 13:38:03 by Cannonshop »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 13 February 2020, 13:20:19 »
Fort Ebon, New Circe...

"can you hear me?"  the nurse asked.  Pol Nguyen blinked twice-yes

"Good.  Now, let me explain, Corporal.  You've suffered traumatic spinal injuries, as well as damage to your motor cortex, and of course, the extensive burns.  We do have an experimental method to get you back on your feet.  I'm required to inform you that it is very invasive, and you do have the legal right to refuse this treatment.  Do you understand?"

He blinked twice.

"Do you consent?"

He blinked two times, firmly.  god get me out of this...

the Gina in a labcoat looked to the short brunette.  "you're sure about this?"

"He's consented, and think about the quality of life he's going to face with those injuries if we don't."  the Brunette said, "We've got the permission from his chain of command provisional to his consent, which he just gave."

a New Circe officer walked up, he recognized a Sharon model.  "Well?"

"He's given his consent."  The Gina seemed pleased.

"I'll warm up the Medevac Raptor.  SLS Hel said she's ready to try it as soon as we have a volunteer, the clearance papers were signed this morning.  Did you tell him it might not work, and that it might kill him?"

The Gina looked embarrassed.  come on lady, dying is better than this!! Pol wanted to scream.

"Do you understand this might be fatal?" the Sharon addressed him.

He blinked twice, firmly.

"You still want to do this?"

He rolled his eyes and blinked twice again.  come on.  I'm in hell here.

"Prep him for transport." The Sharon told the brunette, "And bring him to pad 18."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 13 February 2020, 13:50:16 »
Post Hospital, New Circe Naval Shipyard...

"name?"

"Sarah Jennings 833."

"Rank?"

"Radioman Second Class, Kowloon Coast Guard, last assignment KCGS Vin Drin Lap, cutter 10/14/2, under Commander Van Dyne Lotus 371, sir."  she sat and waited while the medical officer jotted down notes.  "Is this going to take long, sir?"

"Not long, Miss Jennings.  Have you been diagnosed with any disorders prior to your deployment here as part of Task Force H?" he asked.

she looked aside.

"I'm going to hazard yes to that one..."

"it doesn't impact my job, sir." she said.

"Your panic attack on the surface certainly did, miss. Planetophobia isn't unusual in Belters.  Trying to hijack a shuttle back into orbit is."  he explained gently.

"Was anyone hurt?" she asked.

"well, no one was seriously injured.  Is your disorder medically treated?"

"Two miligrams of DHC-22, sir." she said, "My...my scrip went up with the ship."

He frowned.  "Two miligrams of a strong antipsychotic medication?"

"yes sir...or you can just let me not go back down into the well?" she asked, "I really would prefer that, sir.  the drugs...slow me down, and I can wait-"

"You've been assigned shore duty, Miss Jennings, your records show you have been shorting the mandatory surface leaves for the last six years, but you weren't always this...severe."

"I...I don't want to talk about that, sir, if you please.  just give me my waiver or the drugs?"

"I'm afraid neither of those is an acceptable option in your situation, not without something clearer than 'I don't want to talk about it'."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 13 February 2020, 14:02:10 »
Astral Arms Hotel, city of the gods, Colonial city-state, New Circe...

She's warm, the bed is soft.  Dad, they think I'm a hero.  I'm not.  Dawn's early light is peeping through the curtains, and I've got a better looking woman in my bed than I think I've ever seen, an extended pass with a three weeks report date for duty.

she's warm, and she's soft, and she's snoring softly against me.

This is the kind of thing you dream about, but this isn't the dream.  It's just the break from the nightmares.  Nightmares where I'm using bleach and booze and sewing a kid together with fishing wire under a flashlight while the world goes insane around me.

I've studied the materials, I know what it means when you're stuck 'on edge' and you can't sleep, and every loud noise triggers that 'incoming fire' instinct, when you can't even enjoy it while the girls throw themselves at you.

I know what is wrong with me.  I know it won't go away on its own...

but I still won't report it, and I can't figure out why.

I guess I need to.  I just can't make myself do it.  she shifts while shadows move in the room.  I hold perfectly still, until the anxiety drops down to a dull roar.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 13 February 2020, 14:21:18 »
Memorial Park, McEvedy City Suburbs...

"So this is her?" Nicole Minh asked.  "This is that 'other me'?"

"Well, it's her grave." the 'other Seether' said.  Nicole let her father's arm hug her to him.  "She wanted to de-transition and couldn't?" Nicole asked.

"No, she couldn't."

"You two were...close." Nikki asked.

"We were." Commodore Sithers answered.

"I'm not her." Nikki said.  "Hell, the footage you showed us...I'm not sure I can ever be her.  Longest jump in History?  Alien worlds with artifacts?  possible first contact?  How am I supposed to measure up?"

"A six second window with a loaded warship-that was something Nicky did." the Commodore suggested, "and you did. You've got all of her potential, without the baggage."

"No, I've got all her baggage too." Nicole answered, "only I'm not sure I would want what she wanted-not...I'm..."

"You're still working it out, Nicky." her pa told her.  "You're still my child and I still love you.  Just like your counterpart's father still loved her.  I'm proud of the person you're becoming."

"but I'm not her." Nicole said.

"your sister will be thrilled."

Nicole glanced at this Sithers, "How's my CO?" she asked, "You've talked with her yet? the OTHER Linda Sithers?"

"We've spoken." Seether said, "She...she found some of what happened to us to be outright horrifying, but she also confirmed you've got some big shoes to fill."

Nikki shook her head, "I'm not sure I can."

"You can try." her father said.

"yeah dad.  I guess I have to." Nicole straightened up.  "I'm not going to de-transition." she said firmly, "I don't know, maybe it's a cosmic roll of the dice, but I don't...I don't regret transitioning, and you're going to have to deal with it, Dad.  I'm sorry that I'm not her, but I'm not. I'm me."

"Well, you did get your mother's spine, along with her hair." he said, "but don't abandon god, okay?  HE is still with you, try to maintain some kind of relationship..."

"I will, Dad...I know this is going to put you in a bind with the congregation back home..."

"worse than you running away with a jumpship, consorting with mercenaries and pirates, being convicted to grand theft twice and joining a military?" he scoffed, "You are, my so..daughter, an endless source for Sermon material." he gave her a sad smile.   

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 13 February 2020, 14:49:23 »
Docksider's Bar and Grill, McEvedy City Spaceport...

Captain Linda Sithers needed  a drink.   Actually, she needed a LOT of drinks.

"barman!" she rattled her glass, "Keep it full, alright?"

That other Linda Sithers had laid it all out for her-the future that didn't happen, and now wouldn't.

shouldn't.  "There we gooo..."

"What's the plan, Captain?" a Wolverine half again her size asked, bellying up to the bar.

"Oh, a Noble quest, sir!" she answered, "I'm slaying Martians! see?  The glass-that's their flyin' saucers, an' th' olives are the martians..."

"A noble quest indeed, halting the invasion all by your lonesome?"

"Wanna sign up?" she slurred.

"I think you've had enough." he said, turning so she could see the armband of the Provost.

"I jus'...just started. heh, maybe you want that other..."

"Oh no, I think you've had enough. You'll have to let someone else stop the invasion of little green men." he told her, catching her as she lost balance and fell off her stool.

"Yer Cute, wanna f..f...izzit th' th' worrrd?"  to be certain, the room was spinning merrily, she could feel New Circe's rotation.

"Yeah, you've had enough. Let's go have a little lie-down."

"OOOH! yeah! a Lie-down!" she giggled, and tried to reach for his belt.

"come on now, let's get you sobered up..."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #18 on: 13 February 2020, 17:55:19 »
Maybe after she sobers up she can have a more reasonable conversation with the other her...

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 13 February 2020, 18:00:58 »
New thread tag

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #20 on: 13 February 2020, 18:24:35 »
Its a lot to deal with your future impossible self...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 13 February 2020, 22:44:26 »
New Circe General Hospital...

"New Circe Social Services.  the Medical determination states your private is an at-risk child with no means of contacting his parents."  Vilders said with a sour look, "I also have to start a war-crimes investigation, if the AFFC is enlisting child soldiers..."

"I'll cooperate.  Jesus..."

I actually like this. Because honestly, even though she's the protag, a lot of stuff Liz has been pulling in Kwoloon SHOULD be called out. Child soldiers tend to turn into very badly screwd up adults.

Derain Von Harken

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 13 February 2020, 22:52:22 »
Does anyone realise that cavil has suffered an inverse starscream scenario. I hope the star league does. And the rebel cylons who after looking through human culture have stumbled on the transformers franchise.
The Elizatrons canned cavil because he was incompetent.

I look forward to the league reaction that the cylon imperium is now being led by a pattern drawn from Elizabeth Ngo. (Who for diffentiation I shall refer to as Elizabeth Prime.)

Star League Council. Oh God they will have an effective master plan to destroy us all. No peace deal it is clearly a trap.
Elizabeth Prime. On one hand I feel offended on the other it totally will be a trap.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #23 on: 13 February 2020, 23:10:25 »
I actually like this. Because honestly, even though she's the protag, a lot of stuff Liz has been pulling in Kwoloon SHOULD be called out. Child soldiers tend to turn into very badly screwd up adults.
well in Liz's case she wasn't a soldier, she was a Noble, which means a slightly different set of laws were involved. sadly all that did was change the legality within the fedcom, not the effects on liz.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #24 on: 14 February 2020, 05:18:17 »
Who for diffentiation I shall refer to as Elizabeth Prime.
Does she get the Matrix of Leadership?
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 14 February 2020, 12:34:02 »
Kowloon, March 3064...

Two years away from home, and things didn't implode.  There are presents you can't beg for, being away from the control seat for twenty four months, and having things still functional?

all my christmases and birthdays, rolled into one.  I am so damned glad.

Where was I while New Circe was being attacked? Heh...Taurus.  Commodore Ferry dropped us off in the Taurian Concordat's capital when he grabbed reinforcements and headed home.  I spent a lovely weekend fretting with the TCAF brass while the damn toasters tried to exterminate my friends.

They failed.

Jeff Calderon played host, we ate local delicacies and talked about the New Colony region and business opportunities with the Magistracy's reps.

I sold another development loan to each nation, firmed up diplomatic relations and met Grover Schraplen for beer at a place called 'Franklin's'.

Nate settled a dispute involving a Diamond Shark merchant and arranged a call to the bankers on Sudeten to get his trading ship out of impound, which in turn means I have a marker with the Diamond Sharks-they owe me a favor.  The favor goes in the bank for now, I plan to use it to trade another favor out of 'our' Clans-they can't get some substances here in the Inner Sphere, the Sharks can move freely, and the attack on New Circe put it up in bold, neon relief colors-tacky colors even.  'The Cylons are Still a Threat'.

As if anyone didn't know that already.

But there are always people who will deny the evidence on their noses.  Amanda misses 'cousin Hera'.  I swear I'm going to have to ask the Agathons to visit, I guess it's time to move out of the split level into Grandfather's ranch holdings or we'll never have enough room for all of my little girl's friends and self-proclaimed relatives.

Our next stop on the way home, was Earth.  Nathan insisted, and we had an invitation.

No matter how much I mistrust Comstar, one does not snub one's long-distance carrier, and Nathan wanted to meet Anastasius Focht off the battlefield.

so we stopped at Earth, and I learned about a true obscenity.

Project 21b.  I learned about it from the future-ship KCGS Nueva Pueblo and her surviving crew before this, but being briefed on what almost happened at Arluna by the people who almost made it happen, that's a new one.  Primus Mori offered to let me extradite the responsible parties and try them under our Laws.

I considered it.  Hell, I'm still considering it in my weaker moments.

no.  I'm not Tranh Truk Ngo, or Aleksandr Kerensky, or Simon Cameron, I'm not the First Lord or a candidate for the position.

I won't do that.  It isn't my right, and the person whose right it is already turned them over to their masters.

unfortunately, I didn't get to Leave Earth for the rest of 3063.  Victor was planted in the First Lord's seat and he drafted me.  I got to spend an ungodly amount of time and effort for the rest of that year, untangling finances between seven realms and consulting every economist they could dig up to do something about funding the SLDF and Star League government.

So I set up a temporary office in New York City, not a big office, mind-just big enough, in the rebuilt replica of the Empire State Building in downtown.  by 'small office'?  I mean we took the whole damn building.  This is the homeland of the 90th Heavy Assault, Kerensky's Sledgehammers and the only SLDF unit that treated my ancestors fairly from day one to day last.

It took me a year to figure out what should've been obvious in the first three hours. they don't need me.

They needed Kelli Fitz.  So I transferred her to the office in New York as my designated replacement in the 'Star League Finance Minister' role, and with Victor (and the other Lords) consent, I got to board one of our ships and got to go home.  Puke buckets and all.

Getting home meant dealing with yet-another-damned job.  Victor's little brother Peter was waiting in Nha Tranh, with another 'job that must be done'. 

so I let them install another HPG, this one closer to home, and put a damn office park on the end of Marjorie Road, along with a couple billion Kroner worth of high-speed cable, because since my designated replacement was handling the Margrave job so well, in my absence, they stuck me with Lady Exchequer. 

I am the ****** accountant for the Lyran State, with a staff, and a red telephone.  I swear the world is conspiring to turn me into my mother.

Pete did, at least, let me work from home.  Which is good, I'm not going to go jet-settign around the Commonwealth, airsickness bag in hand, supervising tax audits.

I've got a whole department for that, now.  I've already cut around 2 million jobs in the Finance office, and forwarded around 230,000 names for prosecution.  This has made me remarkably unpopular with the Estates General.  My refusal to travel off-world again, hasn't helped matters, but my spies tell me, it's having a general net impact in cutting down on backhanders and no-bid contracting.

Something about sending auditors into "government" offices with an escort of Centurions helps with that-and having a reputation for shooting people helps too.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2020, 12:40:00 by Cannonshop »

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #26 on: 14 February 2020, 13:10:09 »
The tax man's taken all my dough
And left me in my stately home
Lazing on a sunny afternoon...

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 14 February 2020, 13:14:06 »
Liz having .lunch with Shrapnel must have been an interesting conversation!  The financial clean up of the Lyran side of the FC is going to be a long and taxing job.   At least this time she has help and support!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #28 on: 14 February 2020, 13:17:08 »
Oh, I suspect the FS side has its own challenges.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 14 February 2020, 13:23:06 »
Somehow I doubt Liz was involved in underaged soldiers.  I mean she is barely running Kowloon as it is.  The price of shoving that off on the elected government, Victor and Peter feel less guilt drafting her for other duties.

Register