Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
MechWarrior and BattleTech Computer | Console Games / Re: MWO Black Hawk-KU
« Last post by Akamia on 23 April 2024, 23:56:46 »
So, my predictions were off by a little bit; I anticipated the heavier Black Hawk would be somewhat larger than the Nova, but it turns out they are exactly the same size. I suppose I should not be surprised by this.

Still don't have one myself, but I want one. I've seen them in the wild, and they seem to be holding their own; the added beef on their side torsos is definitely keeping them in the fight long enough to be useful. It was mildly amusing fighting them in my Nova Prime. lol
Maybe stupid question, but for any of you that participate in prior kickstarters, does everything come at once (baring issues like things that were delayed in production, etc), or does it come piecemeal? I was expecting one giant box of everything, and am just curious.
Last time product was shipped in 2 distinct waves, which turned out to be the second biggest mistake Catalyst made with the Kickstarter. This time everything is being shipped at the same time. Depending on how much stuff you have coming it might be broken up into multiple boxes.
MechWarrior Hall / Re: Word Association 36: SAY WHAT AGAIN!!!
« Last post by rebs on 23 April 2024, 23:52:31 »
Shotgun
BattleMechs / Re: Design Challenge: The SecurityMech Treaty of 2613
« Last post by DevianID on 23 April 2024, 23:52:17 »
This is a fun experiment.  So my entry is a 2650 model Commercial Loader.  The 10 ton small frame can pick up 1 ton standardized pallets more nimbly then a forklift.  The 2/3 speed is because it is meant to walk around inside buildings and loading areas, not run cross country.  The vehicle flamer is likely loaded with water or coolant for most operations, though I debate switching it to the same .5 tonnage sprayer for more utility but worse range.  The vehicle flamer would be better for offense, but the sprayer would have better utility to paint and such.

The 2 points of commercial armor covering every location keeps the unit safe versus most bumps and falls, and also from small arms.  The fuel cell battery is a bit more economical then the fusion engine or ICE engine, as you want air conditioning (1 heat sink) for those hot factory floors, which the ICE engine doesnt come with standard.

For actual security purposes, I see many news stories about the Commercial Loader committing terrible acts versus protesters with that vehicle flamer, even if its just water.  I can definitely see the loader walking out of the loading dock, cracking the mechs knuckles, to scare off any trespassers.

Code: [Select]
Commercial Loader

Mass: 10 tons
Chassis: Industrial Industrial Biped
Power Plant: 20 Fuel Cell
Cruising Speed: 21.6 kph
Maximum Speed: 32.4 kph
Jump Jets: None
     Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Commercial
Armament:
     1 Flamer (Vehicle)
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 2650
Tech Rating/Availability: D/D-E-E-D
Cost: 624,157 C-bills

Type: Commercial Loader
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Tonnage: 10
Battle Value: 66

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure            Industrial              2
Engine                        20 Fuel Cell            1
Walking MP: 2
Running MP: 3
Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sink                     1                       0
Gyro                                                  1
Cockpit                                               3
Armor Factor (Commercial)     36                    1.5

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Head                    3         4     
     Center Torso            4         6     
     Center Torso (rear)               2     
     R/L Torso               3         4     
     R/L Torso (rear)                  2     
     R/L Arm                 1         2     
     R/L Leg                 2         4     

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Hand
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Hand

Weapons
and Ammo                   Location  Critical   Heat    Tonnage
Vehicle Flamer Ammo (20)      RT        1        -       1.0   
Flamer                        RT        1        3       0.5   
Heat Sink                     LT        1        -       1.0   

« Last post by Akamia on 23 April 2024, 23:51:11 »
Slug
« Last post by rebs on 23 April 2024, 23:50:47 »
Hutt
Friend of Catalyst, and prolific sci-fi/fantasy writer Kevin J. Anderson has a new Kickstarter launching 4/29!

Imagine him doing a battletech novel.
« Last post by Akamia on 23 April 2024, 23:45:12 »
Hutton
MechWarrior and BattleTech Computer | Console Games / Re: MWO Black Hawk-KU
« Last post by martian on 23 April 2024, 23:34:19 »
I guess C3 not possible given this isn't team / faction game
Well, if functional C3 networks were possible in a quarter century old game (i.e. MechWarrior 3), I would say that they should be possible in 2024 (i.e. MechWarrior Online).

I'm not sure how they could do C3 that wasn't redundant with how targets are shared across teammates now :undecided:
I guess that there would be some ways: For example, extended range of weapons for a 'Mech that uses the spotter equipped with C3 Slave.
Ground Combat / Re: Clan Large Pulse Lasers
« Last post by DevianID on 23 April 2024, 23:27:32 »
The LPL vs MPL comes down to unit speed.  The issue with the LPL is that because it has good range, it is useful on slow mechs or fast mechs... its just always useful.  I agree with you that you can close the distance with long ranged mechs most of the time to bring mediums to bear, but in the case of the LPL you are consistently causing knockdowns and kill shots in just 1-2 turns if the enemy doesnt rush you.  The 4 ER large laser novacat, which is a great mech too, doesnt wrack up damage as fast as the 4 pulse laser rifleman, and when the enemy is point blank with speedy units the ER larges are still missing more then large pulse lasers.

I like MPLs better too, but the Rifleman IIC with 4 LPL allows me to be lazy, and just sit in heavy woods and blast away.  The MPLs on the Blackhawk/Nova S require me to move around a lot more, perhaps crossing a nomansland where the trees have been cleared, or exposing it to shorter range return fire or higher attacker movement modifiers.  So while the Nova S is a favorite mech of mine, the Rifleman IIC was so brainless it gets better results overall.  Fewer movement mistakes, and it has the range to force the enemy to close because they cant win ranged exchanges.

Thats usually why people tend to not mind inner sphere pulse lasers.  They are only scary on units with mobility.  The Wolverine 7k, or Wraith, make good use of the shorter ranged pulse, but the 4x pulse laser Marauder is less useful with the lower speed.  The 4 pulse marauder is still a good mech, but its harder to play then something with more speed like the wolverine or range like the clan pulse.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10