Author Topic: Round 1 2015 Funding - Primitive Rifleman RFL-1N XTRO Primitives IV FUNDED!  (Read 66078 times)

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Looks great  O0

B-3 - a question to satisfy my curiousity, is this master cast from pewter? Or is it the same brass/putty/plastic one that you posted photos of earlier but with a coating of silver spraypaint?
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
It is primitive and thus bulky!

I don't have any problems with it, I'm just saying how some people are about petty, inconsequential things like that.   :D

I'm looking forward to buying a Lance of these!   :Jumpy:  EXCELLENT work B-3!   O0   [applause]   [applause]
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
I'm glad you all like this one! It's a great design and was fun to sculpt! This is a pewter master casting made using molds made on the plastic master sculpt.
"Don't start nothin' won't be nothin' " - J

klarg1

• Captain
Looks great  O0

B-3 - a question to satisfy my curiousity, is this master cast from pewter? Or is it the same brass/putty/plastic one that you posted photos of earlier but with a coating of silver spraypaint?

Typically, the company will make a mold from the original sculpt, and use that top cast a more durable set of masters in pewter. Those masters are then used to make the production molds. (Which typically make more than one model per spin.)

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
I'm glad you all like this one! It's a great design and was fun to sculpt! This is a pewter master casting made using molds made on the plastic master sculpt.

Awesome, you won the internet with that pic!
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
I make my owm RTV molds in house and deliver Pewter Masters to IWM.  I won the Internet?!  :D

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
I make my owm RTV molds in house and deliver Pewter Masters to IWM.  I won the Internet?!  :D

Yes, you did. Now back to the workbench with you!  >:D

Please and thank you.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Thanks B-3 for giving us an insight into your creative processes  O0 Thanks klarg1 for your reply too. I had always assumed that IWM/RP created the pewter masters from which the production molds were produced.

It has been an honour and a priviledge to be able to be involved in the fundication for this. My thanks go to speck, B-3, Beachhead and my fellow fundicators for this opportunity.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
I had always assumed that IWM/RP created the pewter masters from which the production molds were produced.
That's how it is usually done. Behrle is the exception to the rule ;)

abou

• Captain
Nicely done! Can't wait to get one.

GRUD

• Captain
Nicely done! Can't wait to get one.

What!?! Only one?

[JediMindTrick]You will buy TWO![/JediMindTrick]

abou: "You know, it looks so good, I should buy at least 2 of them!"

Good decision!   O0

:D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

klarg1

• Captain

Dang, you, sir, are truly a full service sculptor!  [cheers]

The only other pros I have spoken to usually deliver greens to the manufacturer, and the masters are produced there. I'm impressed!

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
Dang, you, sir, are truly a full service sculptor!  [cheers]

The only other pros I have spoken to usually deliver greens to the manufacturer, and the masters are produced there. I'm impressed!

Well thanks!  I am also a goldsmith and jeweler and do lots of custom jewelry design.  I can cast gold, silver and bronze so pewter is pretty easy.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Thanks B-3 for giving us an insight into your creative processes  O0 Thanks klarg1 for your reply too. I had always assumed that IWM/RP created the pewter masters from which the production molds were produced.
B-3 making his own masters allows him to use weaker materials to sculpt than the usual epoxy putties, like styrene.  The master-creation process at IWM includes heat and pressure that would destroy something made of styrene.

klarg1

• Captain
B-3 making his own masters allows him to use weaker materials to sculpt than the usual epoxy putties, like styrene.  The master-creation process at IWM includes heat and pressure that would destroy something made of styrene.

I had actually been wondering about that. The APC masters looked like they had styrene parts, but I didn't think that was possible, based on conversations with fantasy sculptors. I have seen how a green can be mangled during the high-pressure step of vulcanization.

This explains it!

malk2651

• Master Sergeant
Question for anyone with half an educated guess,  is this sculpt more likely to be a 2016 release? I'm not sure how the process for getting these to market works.  Don't mind waiting for one, just curios as to when I should start looking for it.

klarg1

• Captain
Question for anyone with half an educated guess,  is this sculpt more likely to be a 2016 release? I'm not sure how the process for getting these to market works.  Don't mind waiting for one, just curios as to when I should start looking for it.

Once B-3 sends his own masters to IWM, it's just a question of when they have an open slot in the mold-making queue. It seems to take at least 3 months, and sometimes 6 or more, but I don't think there is a strict rule for it.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
So was surprised by Mikes email today that the Rifleman has been molded and should be at Origins on Saturday. So after the show it will go up on the website.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
That is awesome news, speck! Please pass on my thanks to Mike, the molding and casting team for making my Xmas in July a good one O0

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
Sweet! O0

GRUD

• Captain
That is awesome news, speck! Please pass on my thanks to Mike, the molding and casting team for making my Xmas in July a good one O0

I Second that!  Please pass along My Thanks as Well!   O0  It looks like I'll be using some of my "Primitive Rifleman Pledge Funds" to actually buy some of them!

And of course by "Some" I mean a Lance of them.   8)

Thanks Especially to B-3/Mr. Hubbuch, of course!  MORE Amazing work!    [cheers]  [applause]  [applause]

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
oh great news that means then once they go up I can spend some of my vouchers :)

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Speck - could I ask a massive favour?

As one of the proud fundicators of this miniature, could you please provide us with some feedback on how well this miniature sells at Origins?

Does not need to be exact number (although that would be nice  ;) ) but even if it is just a "It is a dog with fleas and nobody wanted to touch it" or "It sold ok" or "We sold most of them" or "We sold most of them on the first day and we had to get the team back at the factory to produce another batch and Fedex it in for us" or "Watch the Columbus news to see the block riots it caused"

klarg1

• Captain
So was surprised by Mikes email today that the Rifleman has been molded and should be at Origins on Saturday. So after the show it will go up on the website.

Like I said, no strict rule for it.  :D

malk2651

• Master Sergeant
Just opened the one I bought this morning.  It took me a good 2 minutes to realize I was not in fact missing the legs, but that each leg came in 3 different parts.  Oh boy am I going to have fun posing this guy.   :D

Excellent mini.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Ok, so we have made at least one sale  :)

Any chance for some photos of the parts laid out please Malk? We have seen photos of the master but not the finished product as yet.

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
Ok, so we have made at least one sale  :)

Any chance for some photos of the parts laid out please Malk? We have seen photos of the master but not the finished product as yet.
I'd love to see some pics, as I plan to pick one or two up as soon as they go up on the site. :)
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
My next order will include one for myself as well as stock for my online store and hopefully at least one of my regular customers.

I would offer to hook you up with one but unfortunately, unless you are here downunder, the freight cost from Ohio to Australia then back to where you are in the States means it is probably more cost effective for you to buy local (I can recommend Aries Games and Miniatures run by Dragon41673 from this forum) or direct from the IWM webstore.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Another question, how much is the Primative Rifleman retailing for?

malk2651

• Master Sergeant
Bought it at Origins for $12.50 US Dollars

Register