Author Topic: Am I doing damage value groups wrong?  (Read 1947 times)

GoblynByte

• Private
Am I doing damage value groups wrong?
« on: 27 October 2018, 16:03:02 »
Help me out, please! I had a discussion at our group that caused me to question how I've been doing something and re-read the section on damage value groups and I might be over thinking it. I thought I had it down, but maybe I've been doing it wrong all this time!

A mech hits with all 6 missiles of a SRM 6. Per the chart, each missile does 2 points of damage with a damage value grouping of 2. So, he rolls for 3 separate hit locations and each of these tree locations will be hit with 2 missiles each causing 2 points of damage. So 3 separate locations will take 4 total points of damage.

Right?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: Am I doing damage value groups wrong?
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2018, 16:07:25 »
While that would speed up play, you'd actually roll six times. The damage value grouping indicates the total damage each separate group would inflict, in this case two points per group (or a single missile per group).
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

GoblynByte

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2018, 16:10:39 »
So the cluster group is a function of damage, not number of missiles?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2018, 16:11:38 »
Yep.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

GoblynByte

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2018, 16:17:11 »
So, I guess I wasn't doing it terribly wrong. The same amount of damage was being delivered in the end. Just more grouped together than what was intended.

Okay, thank you!!

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2018, 16:59:35 »
I recall that I found the damage clustering in BattleTech unintuitive back when I first started playing tabletop BT... but I grew into it.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2018, 15:21:38 »
 Does this change with a Streak Launcher?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2018, 15:24:33 »
The only change with streaks is that you always hit with all the missiles

So if you hit with a streak srm 6, you roll six locations and apply two points of damage to each of those locations

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2018, 15:46:11 »
Ah. so the Streak only locks on to the target as a whole. not a specific location on the target. Pity.

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2018, 20:55:09 »
I think follow the leader LRM's will strike the same location or have some increased chance. Experimental tech.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #10 on: 29 October 2018, 01:37:47 »
Follow-the-leader LRMs all hit in the same location, but the penalty to hit is a problem.

Missile clusters get really weird when you use standard or HE rounds in ATMs: you're dealing 5 point damage clusters with missiles who's damage per missile does not divide evenly by five.  Don't think about it too hard.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #11 on: 29 October 2018, 10:26:35 »
Yeah . . . ATMs IMO really call for a revision of their damage- ERs act like LRMs while Stds & HE should act like SRMs.  The division of a 2 or 3 damage pt missile between locations is something I never questioned until someone else brought up the different nature on another topic.

To the OP- each single missile hitting a single location is one reason SRMs are considered crit-seekers.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 30 October 2018, 06:38:42 »
The Clan ATM has bigger launcher sizes than the MML but I think not only does damage in groups of 5 but tends to be direct fire only . Like the MML and standard launchers far better because of it .