Author Topic: MOTW - Dire Wolf  (Read 43190 times)

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Re: MOTW - Dire Wolf
« Reply #150 on: 10 July 2020, 13:56:39 »
The DireWolf-E mentioned above I think fills the roll of Z since they said it has a CEWS on it.
   Or is that not the same thing?

The Dire Wolf E carries Watchdog CEWS, which is not the same thing as the Society’s Nova CEWS.  But they use the same tonnage and the Nova CEWS uses one less crit, so the switch is easy.

That said, the Society had the Turkina Z with its 48 iATM tubes, Nova CEWS, and jump jets.  So I’m not sure what else a Dire Wolf Z would bring to the table.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #151 on: 10 July 2020, 18:09:02 »
Probably iATMs backed up by improvised heavy lasers on a targeting computer.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #152 on: 10 July 2020, 20:31:26 »
That said, the Society had the Turkina Z with its 48 iATM tubes, Nova CEWS, and jump jets.  So I’m not sure what else a Dire Wolf Z would bring to the table.
No tonnage wasted on jump jets.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #153 on: 11 July 2020, 14:28:52 »
No tonnage wasted on jump jets.
Jump Jets and IATMs make a good pair-if your pilot can actually hit anything while jumping; 48 HE IATM missiles to the rear arc is not a good day in anyone's book. In fact, jump jets are the only thing I would change about things like the Osteon Prime.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2020, 14:31:24 by Caedis Animus »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #154 on: 11 July 2020, 14:37:33 »
Its 3/5 . . . and all 3 are Omnis, there is no need to waste tonnage on fixed JJs.  Outside of a custom Omni refit, no Turkina will ever be 3/5/5 . . . a Dire Wolf can do that if needed.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #155 on: 11 July 2020, 14:55:04 »
As fixed equipment, it's not ideal, but it's not nearly as hamstringing on the Turkina Z as you are making it out to be. Even less so for the Osteon and Dire Wolf. Are the extra two hexes of mobility you'd get with IJJ nice? Sure, but 3 is just fine in a pinch. Hell, 3 hexes is the short range for HE rounds anyways-and it's just one less than what you need to get out of minimum range for both of the other main munition types.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2020, 14:58:59 by Caedis Animus »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #156 on: 11 July 2020, 15:59:14 »
Of course, in all three instances you're more likely to be using the Nova CEWS to get short range modifiers while still out at long range.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: 11 July 2020, 16:04:45 »
Funny enough, the osteon was built as a spotter. It was supposed to lumber forward an be challenged by Zell idiots while the mechs that can run away bombard them from long range with ER ATM.

The forces we use on the tabletop are not typical, remember; mediums are supposed to be the most common class unless you're the 10th lyran, assault guards or coyotes.

edit - it probably doesn't matter. The society is dead and I don't see them revisited soon. Unless the scorps have adopted the tech since we last saw them, the nova is as historical as the primitive mech.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2020, 16:21:24 by Greatclub »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #158 on: 11 July 2020, 17:35:25 »
As fixed equipment, it's not ideal, but it's not nearly as hamstringing on the Turkina Z as you are making it out to be. Even less so for the Osteon and Dire Wolf. Are the extra two hexes of mobility you'd get with IJJ nice? Sure, but 3 is just fine in a pinch. Hell, 3 hexes is the short range for HE rounds anyways-and it's just one less than what you need to get out of minimum range for both of the other main munition types.

But that is the difference between the Dire Wolf and Turkina at a base- the Dire Wolf does not waste tonnage on fixed jump jets.  If the tactical situation will warrant it, they can be equipped and because they are not fixed- if really needed you can put IJJs.  It is too bad we do not get one with IJJ that I am aware of, it can carry some pretty big hammers for moving around that fast.

Because otherwise the Dire Wolf could duplicate (and improve if not needing JJ) any configuration of the Turkey.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #159 on: 11 July 2020, 17:48:20 »
Funny enough, the osteon was built as a spotter. It was supposed to lumber forward an be challenged by Zell idiots while the mechs that can run away bombard them from long range with ER ATM.

Eh, the Cephalus was the primary spotter.  The Osteon was just an excessively durable assault.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #160 on: 11 July 2020, 17:54:23 »
I am with MLO4H on this one, not sure how a plodder that has fire support written all over it was never supposed to be the shooter to the Ceph's spotter.

The fact that I can get a Osteon . . .D?- 4 LPL and a Ceph A (?) linked for under 5k is crazy . . . especially when they work over 3 linked Blakists.
Colt Ward

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #161 on: 11 July 2020, 17:56:05 »
But that is the difference between the Dire Wolf and Turkina at a base- the Dire Wolf does not waste tonnage on fixed jump jets.  If the tactical situation will warrant it, they can be equipped and because they are not fixed- if really needed you can put IJJs.  It is too bad we do not get one with IJJ that I am aware of, it can carry some pretty big hammers for moving around that fast.

Because otherwise the Dire Wolf could duplicate (and improve if not needing JJ) any configuration of the Turkey.

I've already told you that I don't agree with fixed jump jets, so I really don't understand why you felt the need to point it out. I just don't think it's that big of a deal in the case of a specific config because it works in the config's favor. I've tried refitting it with IJJs and frankly, the config's better off with standards, and considering how much IJJs weigh for 95 and 100 ton units, the Dire's better off using standards too. The IJJ mounting option is just not useful in cases like this touted one.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2020, 18:17:38 by Caedis Animus »

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #162 on: 11 July 2020, 18:23:06 »
Eh, the Cephalus was the primary spotter.  The Osteon was just an excessively durable assault.

Wog from Paul in the osteon article
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=20031.60

I know that isn't how anyone plays, but it is the fluff. Also, the ijj pulse version makes an excellent spotter
« Last Edit: 11 July 2020, 18:26:21 by Greatclub »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #163 on: 11 July 2020, 19:36:02 »
Paul says they set out to make 3 Society mechs, a spotter, a support mech, and an all-around unit.  The Pariah/Septicemia was the all-around unit.  The other two are the Osteon and Cephalus, and the Ceph is definitely no support mech.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #164 on: 11 July 2020, 21:40:21 »
Well . . . if you want to say EWar support mech, maybe.
Colt Ward

Register