Author Topic: inner sphere fighter squadron doctrine and related questions  (Read 1030 times)

Emcha

• Sergeant
so i'm trying to build some ASF assets for a 3050s-era RCT/battlegroup, specifically Rasalhague. I'm wondering if inner sphere forces make an effort to have their ASF squadrons consist of same-capability ASFs, if they try to pair a portion with complimentary ASFs, or if they just go full ****** and make squadrons out of whatever random fighters happen to be available.

also, how common is the vengeance dropship between 4th succession war and clan invasion? 

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: inner sphere fighter squadron doctrine and related questions
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2020, 08:52:53 »
I think they would have pairs of complimentary fighters that move at similar speed although it wouldn't be bad if one were slightly faster and the other tougher or better armed. You'd probably have 2 Light Fighters for Recon while the other 2 Pair would be heavier designs selected to perform some kind of role. Mediums would be good for Ground Attack and Dogfighting while Heavies are used for Dropship Killing or Strategic Bombing.  That said there isn't a lot of material available on the topic as very few people played or showed interest in fighters.

The Rasalhagues have the pick of the litter of Aerospace they can use the swift Kurita, stout Steiner, or well balanced Davion and Marik export fighters and in later years the COMSTARs stockpiles of SLDF models.  If they had the money I could see it being very well-equipped and a prime market for used fighters.

Regarding the Vengeance, I think it would find lots of work as a system patrol craft in the pre-Warship era.  It has two manufacturers whose states have lots of capital invested in those plants and would be a popular export item.  That said though a Kungsarme Fleet vessel is likely to be a Union or Leopard CVs.  They wouldn't need Vengeance level force concentration to support their units and it would be an expensive loss to the Fleet if one were destroyed.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2020, 09:29:27 »
Don’t forget Rasalhague Squadrons are double strength. A Flight being four, Squadron 12, etc.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2020, 21:56:24 »
That isn't right about FRR.

FRR follows House Kurita standards for deployment.

Lance-2
Flight-6
Company-12
Wing-36
Regiment-108

What your probably thinking of however is the "Valkyries"?  Wing of the 1st Drakons?
  I think it was, was noted as having double that.
So the "Wing" attached to the Mech Regiment was 72 Fighters.  Now THAT is Air Cover :)

The IS attempts to match fighters in pairs.
But lets face it, if you just can't then you just can't.

I had a Kurita style wing for a unit once & I think, 2 of the 18 Lances were mismatched pairs due to RAT roll.

The Vengeance is very rare but its certainly seen in fiction.
You just don't get a lot of Air Wing stories in books, its all about the mechs.
On the old Merc chart to roll one it was no more difficult than the Fortress & Overlord IIRC.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2020, 22:43:44 by Hellraiser »
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Register