Author Topic: Handbook: House Kurita (2796)  (Read 19103 times)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
Re: Handbook: House Kurita (2796)
« Reply #60 on: 14 October 2019, 19:22:09 »
Text.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2023, 21:35:29 by Dubble_g »
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: 14 October 2019, 19:37:47 »
Text.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2023, 21:35:56 by Dubble_g »
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #62 on: 14 October 2019, 20:00:32 »
Frighteningly reminiscent of Conspiracy... excellent writing!

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: 14 October 2019, 21:41:45 »
Text
« Last Edit: 29 July 2023, 21:36:26 by Dubble_g »

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 15 October 2019, 19:25:13 »
Complicity

Kentares IV
Occupied Federated Suns
January 2797

Chief Administrator Nolan Mordiki awoke slowly. He sat up in bed and looked out the window. Haze. There was still a faint but visible haze in the air, like there was every day, a brown and grey and black filter over the sky, like there had been for months now.

He stretched and moved to the window. His room was on the fifth floor of the HPG compound, high enough to look over the encircling security wall. And beyond that, to a second concrete wall the Draconians had erected a dozen meters outside the compound, topped with razor wire and dotted with sentry posts.

Mordiki raised his eyes further still, to the city blocks that surrounded the compound. It was early yet, still dim, and a few lights flickered in some of the windows. It had taken Mordiki and the other ComStar staff a while to realize it was the same lights in the same windows every night, and they went on and off at the same time every day, and he and the rest of his staff were now fairly sure nobody lived in those buildings, not anymore.

The people of Kentares did not come to the compound anymore, either, and it had been months since Mordiki had even seen someone other than DCMS soldiers walking the streets.

The trigger was easy enough to understand. An urgent message from the DCMS, passed through ComStar’s hands and sent out across Combine-held space, to Luthien, Galedon, Benjamin, to Jinjiro Kurita, bearing the terrible news of Coordinator Minoru Kurita’s death. ComStar said all messages were confidential, but they monitored some, of course. The correlation between the arrival of Jinjiro Kurita and the sudden disappearance of the city’s population was easy to make.

He had arrived, and then the people had vanished.

The only messages now were military ones, wordlessly handed by one of their officers to the ComStar staff at precisely the same time each day with a curt demand for transmission.

At first, Mordiki had gone down in person to meet them. What was happening on the planet, Mordiki had asked, several times.

It was a different officer each time, but they would not react, merely remain immobile, with the messages in hand.

Where were all the people?

It was as though he had not spoken.

He demanded his personnel be allowed out of the compound. They could not be kept prisoners here.

The DCMS officer said nothing. The cold look in his eyes suggested, however, that as far as he was concerned ComStar absolutely could be kept like prisoners in the compound.

This was outrageous, Mordiki protested. He would not send the messages.

That, at least, had drawn a reaction. “The terms of agreement between ComStar and the Draconis Combine require that all submitted messages be relayed impartially, promptly, accurately and confidentially,” the officer had said. “Failure to comply will result in the revocation of your organization’s privileges within the Combine.”

Mordiki signaled to Terra for advice. Comply, he was told. There might come a day when the organization could stand up to such bullying, but not yet, not a mere decade after their establishment, not with the five Houses still so strong.
Comply, he seethed. There came a point when compliance became complicity.

Mordiki assigned someone else to meet the officer in future. The most junior technician available. He knew status meant so much to these Draconians. Let them chew on that.

Petty. Unworthy. He’d do his duty, to the letter. Malicious compliance, they called it. But it was all he had.

The residents of the city had been evicted from the area around the compound, that seemed clear, and the people of Kentares were evidently barred from sending any messages. It seemed part of a deliberate effort to cut off the compound from the rest of the planet, and the planet from the rest of the Inner Sphere. But why? Compounds on other planets seized by the Combine during their offensive into the Federated Suns had not been quarantined, or at least not so blatantly.

Mordiki retreated to his office. Stared at the walls, drummed his fingers on the desk. Flipped through the recent proposals and memoranda, ideas for protecting the organization by adopting the trappings of religion. He read without seeing, mind adrift.

A distant sound rattled at the edge of hearing.

Mordiki looked up, turned towards the window, made himself perfectly still. There. Gunshots. Now the piercing squeal of rubber on concrete, and another echo of gunfire. Mordiki sprang to the window, peered out. The DCMS guards at the wall about the compound looked at one another, turned towards the city and away from the compound. Gunfire rattled again, closer now, louder. Then again, a long, rolling sustained burst, the deeper and heavier thud of a machinegun.

Mordiki threw himself from the window, mashed his thumb down on the intercom button on his desk. “Security!” The compound was not without its own defences. There was a company of men, led by an ex-SLDF Captain named Ishihara. “Security! What’s happening?”

Ishihara’s face flickered into view on the intercom screen. A square face, close-cropped grey hair, hard eyes. “Uncertain at this time, Administrator. We are monitoring the situation.” His voice was gravelly and measured. No trace of excitement or panic. “It does not appear to be an attack. As a precaution, I recommend placing the compound on alert.”

“Yes, fine, do it.” An alarm began to scream. Mordiki winced. “Maybe not so loud in my office though.” The sound dimmed, just in time for the thunder of an explosion to rattle the office windows.

Leaving the intercom channel open, Mordiki threw open his desk drawers, searching, searching, found a pair of binoculars, raced back to the window. Fiddled with the focus, trying to bring the blurred streets into clarity. He couldn’t see anything at first. Panned across, down, down. Caught a flash of movement. Tried to track it.

A ground car, a standard four-wheeled, biofuel-powered civilian model, was careening down the road, weaving erratically from side to side, barreling straight towards the ComStar compound gate.

Behind it came the lumbering form of a steel colossus, painted red from head to foot, black-on-red dragon at its shoulder. A Firestarter. The BattleMech raised its arms as lines of laser fire flashed, gouging long furrows in the concrete that just missed the car as it swerved to one side.

“Ishihara, open the gate,” Mordiki yelled, keeping the binoculars to his eyes. The Firestarter was gaining on the car. Down by the gate, some DCMS soldiers were scattering, while others crouched, readying their weapons.

“I advise caution, Administrator.”

“Open the fracking gate!” The muzzles of the machineguns mounted on either side of the Firestarter flashed, bullets chopped into the back of the car. It skidded, seemed to lose control, headed for the front of one of the buildings lining the road. Mordiki slapped the palm of his hand against the wall in frustration.

The car straightened at the last moment, screeched away from the wall, a line of machinegun fire eating away at the wall behind it in violent puffs of concrete.

“Yes! Come on, a little further!” Mordiki shouted. “Ishihara, is the gate open?”

“Open, sir.”

The last few DCMS soldiers crouching in the car’s way realized it was neither slowing down nor stopping, and scattered, scrambling away to the left and right, firing wildly.

The car raced past their position. A row of spikes suddenly jutted from the ground. The tires gave out with gunshot bangs. The car careened sideways, smashed into the DCMS wall’s gate, and came to a smoking halt.

Mordiki could see people leaping from the wreck, scrambling out the shattered windows. One, two, three, four, five. On their hands and knees, finding their feet, starting to scramble up the DCMS wall. One had an assault rifle, and fired bursts in every direction, covering fire as the other four climbed.

“Ishihara, bring those people in the second they’re over that wall. Medical teams ready. And, oh shit.”

The Firestarter was there. Flame poured from its arms, its chest, like a molten waterfall, like the lava flow from a volcano, and the five figures disappeared in the inferno.

Mordiki could hear their screams from his window.

He threw the binoculars against the far wall in rage and frustration. They cracked, shattered, lay in pieces on the office floor. “No. Unity, no. That’s enough,” Mordiki muttered to himself. “That’s more than fracking enough.” He took a breath. “Ishihara, need to see you in my office.”

The head of security knocked on his door a few minutes later. Mordiki invited him in, waved to a seat in front of the desk. Outside, oily black smoke was still rising, carrying a sickly, burnt-meat smell into the room. Mordiki had shut the window and turned up the air conditioning, but still. He felt it in his hair, on his clothes, in his skin. He resisted the urge to scrub at his skin.

Mordiki sat down across from Ishihara. “You’re no fan of the Combine, are you Captain?”

As always, Ishihara took his time before speaking. “Many in the SLDF considered the Combine’s actions during the War of Liberation ... distressing.” He spoke slowly, elliptically, his voice never rising.

“And the murder of five people that we just witnessed? Did you find that distressing?”

“I felt a certain degree of ... frustration, Administrator.”

“Frustration. Fracking right. Frustration. What do you think they’re doing? What is the Combine hiding? Why are they willing to kill anyone who tries to talk to us? Where is everyone in the city? Gulags? Re-education camps?”

Ishihara was not so vulgar as to shrug, but his eyes watched the buildings outside the window for a brief instant, watched the smoke rise and curl, thin, deform and fade. “I would not care to speculate without evidence.”

“Evidence? How the frack are we supposed to get evidence, cooped up here?”

Ishihara nodded. “I believe I now understand the nature of this meeting, Administrator. You would like us to conduct a reconnaissance of the area?”

“I can’t order you. Not authorized from Terra or the Prime Administrator. This would, officially, be something you did on your own initiative.” Mordiki paused, but Ishihara made no reaction, not even the most minute of eyebrow twitches. “I’d have to deny it, if it ever became known. Given those circumstances, is that something we can do?”

Ishihara’s eyes tightened for the merest fraction of a second, the only sign of thought. “Our inventory includes a number of stealth suits,” he said. “In advance of anything the Combine can produce. A small team should be able to investigate the city without detection.”

Mordiki nodded. “Good. That’s good. Very good. A small team, say three, maybe four. Your best men, Ishihara. Orders to observe and report, nothing more.”

“Understood Administrator,” Ishihara slowly stood. “And if we do find the populace is in camps, Administrator?”

“Then we inform Terra, present the evidence, and use the power of our organization to force the Combine to release them,” Mordiki said. “Unity, this power of ours has to be for some good, other than sending birthday cards and baby photos. What use is it to keep the galaxy connected, when everyone out there is trying to tear it apart? This time, this one time, we’ll do the right thing, not the expedient thing. We’ll stand up for the people of the Inner Sphere. We’ll shine a light, Ishihara, we’ll shame them and we restore a tiny fraction of sanity to the galaxy.”

Ishihara nodded again. It might have been Mordiki’s imagination, but he thought he caught a trace of a smile on the man’s granite face.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: 16 October 2019, 19:12:56 »
A Distraction

Kentares IV
Occupied Federated Suns
January 2797

Kirkan could see the compound clearly from where they lay, at the top of a five-story building near the gate. They’d found clothes in an apartment, then climbed up to the roof. The great half-moon of the HPG dish took up half the sky. Beneath it clustered a number of shining white buildings, blocky and utilitarian. There was a park in the center, what looked like residential units arranged around it. A high, thick wall, dotted with remote cameras and sensors, marked the edge of the compound. Around this ran a second wall, thinner, flimsier, topped with wire, with firing steps at regular intervals—facing towards the compound, not away from it. At one point, the outer wall was scarred by a massive black stain.

A squad of seven men in brown uniforms lounged by a gate in this outer wall, immediately opposite the ComStar gate. The gate itself was a simple thing, a horizontal bar that could be raised or lowered, with a checkerboard of concrete blocks in front of it so cars could not drive directly up to the gate. There was a row of metal spikes across the road, too. The men were heavily armed. Kirkan counted at least three shoulder-fired missile launchers. More men stood on the firing steps along the wall.

And there was a BattleMech. Or rather, there were two, but they alternated, with one standing guard near the compound while the other ranged around the city. One was a 40-ton Vulcan, the other a Firestarter, both specialized in anti-infantry and urban warfare. The Firestarter was on station now.

“Too many guards,” Kirkan sighed, running a hand down his face. “Wall is too high. That BattleMech will roast us both alive if we try to make a run for it.” When Amano had first mentioned the ComStar compound, Kirkan had known it would come down to this. Somehow, he’d known this moment would happen. He handed Faith the data disc the Chu-i had given them. “You’ll need a distraction.”

Faith took the disc, nodded one, twice, then mentally rewound what Kirkan had just said. Stopped. “We,” she said. “We will need a distraction, you mean.”

Kirkan gave her a look, a brief but sad smile, and turned back to the compound. Squinting, trying to plot a path across rooftops, somehow to get closer to that BattleMech.

“We need a distraction, right Kirkan?”

Her sudden use of his name felt like an ice pick to the chest. He refused to look at her, kept his eyes on the city. “Faith, look, I need you to wait here and be ready to go. When you see the guys in front of that gate bug out, you run. You run for that gate. Put your head down and run. No zig-zagging, no looking over your shoulder, nothing. Just run. Scream your head off, too, get ComStar’s attention. Don’t look back, don’t turn around, don’t wait for anything. You got that?”

“No,” she shook her head. “There has to be some other way.”

“Faith, could you stop? You aren’t making this any easier for me.”

“Easy? Easy?” Faith grabbed his shoulder, forced him to turn towards her. “The frack I have to make things easy for you? After all we’ve … To hell with making things easy for you.”

“Well, then. Pray for me.”

“You don’t even believe.”

“Well, in case this turns out to be one more thing I’m wrong about, I could use someone on my side when I meet the Man Upstairs.”

“Don’t even joke.”

He leaned forward, brushed his lips against her forehead. “Just run when you get the chance, okay? Promise me that.”

“Promise you’ll come back.”

Kirkan kept the gyrojet pistol, but pressed the small-frame automatic into Faith’s hands. “In case they leave anybody behind.”

“Promise you’ll come back.”

He sighed, rolled his eyes a little. “I promise I’ll come back.”

“Liar.” She put the flat of her hand against his chest, and left it there, against his heart. Finally, she gave him a little push. “Go on then, Big Hero.”

There was nothing more that needed saying, so he just smiled again, nodded, and began to work his way over to the edge of the building, took a breath a leaped the gap to the next roof, landing, rolling, coming up on his feet. Moving closer to the Firestarter. He didn’t look back.

Over and over again. He very carefully and repeatedly didn’t look back.

It took him almost an hour before he was in position. High up on the roof of another building, where he had a clear view of both the Firestarter and the men guarding the gate. The building seemed solid, made of steel and concrete, and that would be important, if this worked.

Kirkan raised the pistol in both hands, and aimed down the barrel towards the gate. Too far away to hit anyone, of course. He didn’t need to hit anyone, but felt he had to try, anyway.

Deep breath. He was probably going to die. Well, make it count for something. Deep breath.

Kirkan fired twice, emptying the pistol. The pistol jumped a little with each shot, but far less than a gunpowder pistol would have done. The rounds went pfut, pfut as they left the barrel. Then the rockets at the back of each round burned to life and sent them screaming across the plaza like a pair of banshees. The sound echoed off the surrounding buildings, making it sound like a battalion was attacking.

The rounds impacted, nowhere near the men on guard, but the explosive tips still ensured they kicked up impressive-looking fountains of asphalt and dirt from the road.

The men on guard jumped in surprise, ran and ducked for cover.

The Firestarter jerked to life, swung around, sensors homing in on the source of the gunfire.

Kirkan had seconds. He tossed the pistol off the side of the building, now mere deadweight, and sprinted for the stairway.

As he reached the top of the stairs, there was a sizzling hum, and a pair of lasers hammered into the roof, blasting away concrete in huge sheets. The blast caught Kirkan, slapped him forward, sent him tumbling head over heels down the steps.

He rolled to his feet, leaped over the rail to the next flight, scrambled down some steps, leaped over the rail again to reach the next flight.

The stairs were bathed in light as laser fire sliced horizontally through the building, sending a storm of dust and concrete fragments raining down the stairwell. A coconut-sized block of concrete smashed into the stairs at Kirkan’s feet.

He dodged around it, hit the ground floor, raced for the doorway on the opposite side of the building.

There was a titanic grinding, crunching, metallic snapping sound. Kirkan looked back. The Firestarter had given up trying to shoot at him, and had walked straight into the building’s wall, intent on bringing the whole thing down on top of him. The walls bowed and sagged under the impact. With a final roar the roof gave way entirely, bringing down the top floor, crushing the next floor, faster now, then the next floor and Kirkan was out, out into the street, the approaching-train roar of the collapsing building at his heels, he was running across the street, dodging among the abandoned cars that lined either side when the building finally fell into ruin, blasting a wall of smoke and dust across the street and blinding Kirkan.

He crouched behind a car, coughing, pulling his shirt up over his mouth so he could breathe. He squinted through the dense smoke, waiting and watching for any sign of movement. Maybe the BattleMech had buried itself. Rubble shifted and settled. A boulder of concrete rolled out into the street.

Then the Firestarter erupted from the rubble. Laser light stabbed out, blasting into the car Kirkan sheltered behind. The car was blown off its wheels as Kirkan rolled away, blown into the air, completely off its wheels and blasted roof-first into a building facing the street.

Kirkan was on his feet and running again. Lasers passed overhead, close enough to feel the heat on his head, shoulders and arms. The building beside him burst into clouds of debris. Kirkan ducked, ran, kept running. Back towards the river.

He could feel the road shake under the Firestarter’s footsteps. He ducked around a corner, straightened, scrambled across another street, heard the chatter of machineguns. Glass shattered, spilled dagger shards over his head.
He was into the warehouse district. The Firestarter close behind.

Kirkan ducked into the warehouse where he and Faith had sheltered after their swim. The warehouse filled with ammonium nitrate. He sprinted for the door on opposite side, one last burst of speed.

Behind him, he could hear a titanic rending, snapping, splintering sound as the Firestarter crashed into the building, plowing straight through the wall.

He heard the blast-furnace roar of the flamethrowers firing.

Threw himself through the door, across the concrete dock, plunging into the river beyond, flames licking at his heels.

The Firestarter fired all three of his flamethrowers at the fleeing figure. Venting superheated plasma from its reactor in transparent, limpid lines that turned vivid blue, then orange-yellow as they met air. Lazy, curling tongues of fire which reached out, boiling the air, igniting the wooden structure of the warehouse—and the hundreds, maybe thousands of tons of ammonia nitrate stored inside.

The fire burned bright, cheery, white and golden for a few seconds. The Firestarter slowed, stopped. The MechJock registering where he was. What he was standing in the middle of.

In the water, Kirkan dove and dove. Kicking as far down in the depths as he could.

The Firestarter backed up a step.

The detonation was as deadly as it was sudden. The warehouse, and the BattleMech within, instantly disappeared in an annihilating sphere of light as the fertilizer caught fire and exploded. The surrounding warehouses were instantly blasted to pieces. Many also contained fertilizer, igniting a string of new explosions. Buildings quivered and shook across the city. An almost pyroclastic cloud of red flame and ash vomited into the sky.

Outside the ComStar compound, the platoon on guard duty looked at one another. Men gripped their weapons in fear. The Chu-i spoke quickly and urgently into a communicator. He waved to his men, and all but two set off at a trot towards the spreading cloud, now filling the sky like an inverted mountain.

In the river beyond the warehouses, the dark depths were suddenly thrown into brilliant light. The wavering, refracted sky overhead turned from placid blue to violent, glowing red. The surface frothed and heaved as debris began to fall, spars of wood, blasted bits of BattleMech, a dirty and black rain falling upon the waters. As the flames dimmed and the plume of smoke spread, darkness returned, even greater than before, blotting out the light.

Kirkan held on as long as he could, then clawed for air, surfaced downstream, closer to the opposite side of the river. There was a park, with willow trees by the water. He made for them, clung to the branches, and used them to haul himself to the shore.

He sat, exhausted, by the river bank, and watched the flames, still spitting and hissing into new life as pockets of fertilizer caught flame. He allowed himself a small nod of satisfaction. “Run, Faith,” he whispered. He looked skyward, trying to see past the thick, black clouds now spreading overhead. “Never mind me. Watch over her, Big Guy. You owe her one.” Unsure if anyone was listening, if they could even see him through the smoke.

The river surface bulged as something moved beneath the surface. Waves raced to shore. The ground beneath Kirkan trembled again. Oh frack no, he thought, there was no way the Firestarter had survived that. No way. Impossible. Nice joke, Big Guy. Almost had me.

A BattleMech rose from the waters. A Vulcan. A spindly, 40-ton machine, with a bulbous head jutting from between football-player shoulders. The barrel of an autocannon jutted from one side, the lens of a laser from the other. A gatling machinegun housed in one arm, a flamer in the other. Capable of killing Kirkan in half a dozen ways in an instant. Every weapon pointed straight at him.

Kirkan gave the heavens another, wry look. “Good one,” he said, quietly. “Very funny.”

“Surrender, traitor,” boomed a voice from the Vulcan.

Slowly, Kirkan raised his hands.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #66 on: 16 October 2019, 19:22:19 »
Sadly, I don't think that could have gone any better for them...

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #67 on: 20 October 2019, 20:08:59 »
Sadly, I don't think that could have gone any better for them...
That's actually kind of good to hear... given the subject matter, I didn't want to make the main character too overpowered. The reality meter in this story is set to "grim" rather than "comic book", so he gets  a couple of lucky breaks but he screws up, too.

Let's see if we can wrap this one up. It's been sitting on my hard drive for long enough...

Not This Time

Kentares IV
Occupied Federated Suns
January 2797

There was a small park in the center of the ComStar compound. A little square of green amid the pristine white buildings. A couple of broad-limbed trees provided shade, and iridescent fish glittered in a small pond. Nolan Mordiki sat on a bench, watching the fish swim in lazy circles, feeling as trapped and useless as they were.

A shadow crossed the sun. Mordiki looked up to find Ishihara standing by the bench.

“The recon team has returned, Administrator,” he said.

“And?”

The corners of Ishihara’s mouth turned down slightly. “Their findings are ... inconclusive. As we suspected, the city is completely abandoned. The countryside in the immediate vicinity of the city as well. There are no signs of work camps or other forms of internment.”

“Well, the people all went somewhere. Deported to another continent? Off-planet?”

Ishihara opened his mouth and, for the first time in all the years since Mordiki had met him, hesitated.

“What?”

“There are more ... unpalatable possibilities, Administrator, given that this was triggered by the death of the Coordinator. Such as ... reprisals.”

Mordiki frowned for a moment, then made the connection. Realization hit like a punch to the gut, taking his breath away. “All of them?”

“I speak only of possibilities, Administrator.”

“Unimaginable ones. There were almost 500,000 people in this city.”

“We lack definitive proof. But circumstantial evidence certainly points to a systematic and total ... depopulation of the Amishton area.”

“Unity.”

“What will you do, if I may ask, Administrator?”

Mordiki scratched his head in thought. “Inform Terra, I suppose,” he said. “Inform the Prime Administrator.”

“Inform Terra.”

“Yes. Inform Terra. Well. What? What else do you want me to do?”

And that was when they heard two distinct shots. The high-pitched shriek of incoming gyrojet rounds, then the crackle of their explosions. Without hesitation, Ishihara sprinted for the security command center, Mordiki trailing behind. They crashed through the building doors, dashed down a corridor, managed to make it to the entrance to the center when the volcano erupted.

Well, what felt like a volcano. There was a deafening explosion. The building shook. Ishihara was calmly ordering panicked men and women to find out what was going on. And meeting only a confused babble. A wall of video screens showed chaos. Cameras panned, searching, trying to focus on something, anything. The comm techs all spoke at once. Stories of gunshots. Of the BattleMech plowing straight into, then through a building, firing at something or someone. Then a mountain of fire and a blanket of dense black smoke, spreading into the sky from the river district.

“Someone else trying to reach us?” suggested Mordiki.

Ishihara nodded, then spoke to a comms officer: “Get the gates open. I want two squads on standby. Stunners and pulse laser rifles.”

“Yes sir I—wait. Sir. There’s someone out there.”

The comm tech pointed to one of the screens. There, at the edge of the plaza outside the compound, a lone woman was calmly walking towards the Combine wall and its gate.

“Ishihara,” Mordiki said quietly, “whatever happens, whatever you have to do, that woman gets in here.”

“Agreed, Administrator,” Ishihara nodded. “I’ll see to it personally.”

Ishihara strode purposefully from the room. Mordiki stared at the screens. The woman kept walking. The two soldiers left at the gate hadn’t noticed her yet. But they would, soon. She was still walking. The same determination and purpose Ishihara had, just now, when he left. She looked thin, frail. But the way she moved. Like a juggernaut.

One of the soldiers spotted her. Hesitated, tapped his fellow on the arm and pointed. They cautiously raised their weapons. On another screen, Mordiki saw Ishihara had arrived at the ComStar gate, now thrown open. Ishihara was shouting something at the two men.

The two men lowered their weapons. It was one thing to do wrong, to hurt or to kill when all around you were killing. It was something quite different when you knew you were being watched, by people who did not approve, who reminded you of what you’d once been, before you caught the killing sickness. You could pretend it was normal when nobody said anything. You couldn’t when there was somebody else standing there, like an angel on your shoulder, reminding you it wasn’t, it wasn’t normal, it was nothing, nowhere near normal.

The woman was only a dozen meters away from the two soldiers. One man turned, yelled something at Ishihara. Raised his weapon again.

“No,” whispered Mordiki. “Oh please, no.”

Ishihara was drawing his stunner. Too late, too late.

They’d gone too far, seen too much, done too much, these two DCMS solders. To admit that what they had done was wrong might shatter them. Their need to maintain that sense of self, that sense they were not bad people, not wrong or evil, finally won out over the knowledge and shame of what they were about to do.

Mordiki closed his eyes. He heard gunshots. His shoulders sagged. He felt like crying. He took a deep breath and opened his eyes.

The woman stood. A smoking pistol in her hands. The two soldiers lay on the ground. Ishihara was at her side, taking her arm, rushing her inside. The compound gate swung shut behind them.

Alive.

She was alive.

They took her to a waiting room. Wrapped her in a blanket. A warm drink. Technicians and aides hovered about her in worried flocks. She barely acknowledged them, seemingly disbelieving, sure she was dreaming. She held a steaming mug in both hands, brought it up to her lips and sipped, almost robotic, unseeing.

So far, all they’d gotten was her name: Faith.

Mordiki sat across from her. Waited patiently for her to register his presence. He nodded as her eyes met his. “My name is Nolan Mordiki, Administrator of this facility. You are safe here, ma’am. Faith. I promise you. You don’t know how happy I am to see you. Please. Tell me. Where is everyone?”

Faith stared at him, seconds ticking by, and Mordiki began to fear she’d gone mad. Whatever the Combine had done had driven the people insane. He was about to try again, when she spoke. A hollow voice, devoid of any feeling. “They’re dead,” she said, simply. “They killed them. The snakes. The Dracs. They killed everybody.”

Mordiki nodded, shaken. “The whole city?”

“City?” The sound she made was half laugh, half sob. She was shaking her head. “No, not the whole city.” She stopped shaking, put down her mug.

“The whole planet.”

“The whole—wha, ah, what?” Mordiki could hear Ishihara softly swearing under his breath.

“They killed everyone, everywhere.”

“There are fifty-nine million people on this planet—”

“They’re dead. The snakes rounded us up, shot or burned or beheaded everyone.” Faith held up a small, square storage data disc. “Here’s the proof.”

Mordiki leaned forward, took it carefully from her hands. “What’s on this?”

Faith shrugged. “I don’t know. One of their soldiers gave it to us.”

“Us?”

“There’s someone else.”

“Who?”

“The man who brought me here. You should talk to him.”

“Why?”

“Because he’s one of them. One of the Dracs.”

Mordiki nodded. The data, if indeed there was data on this disc and it wasn’t this poor woman’s fevered imagination, the data would be the foundation and key to exposing what had happened here on Kentares. Putting a face to the story would have more impact, though. The woman’s word alone might be doubted—she was a citizen of the Federated Suns, she might say anything to discredit the Combine—but the word of a DCMS soldier would be harder to refute. “Okay. Where is he? Where can we find him?”

“He ... he was the one who drew the guards away.” Her eyes burned with sudden intensity. “He might still be alive. He has to be. I know he is. He might have escaped or ... or they might have him. The Dracs. They might have him. You’ve got to help him. Can you?”

Mordiki sat back in his seat and blew a long breath. Search across the entire planet for one single human being, under the nose of the entire DCMS. Or worse yet, break into a DCMS prison and rescue a prisoner. That was an awful risk to take. Scouting a city was one thing. This potentially put ComStar at war with the Combine. How to explain that? The man’s testimony would be invaluable ... but the risk. The risk was simply too great.

Ishihara stepped forward before Mordiki could speak. “Yes we absolutely can, ma’am.” He put a hand to his heart. “You’ve got my word on that. We’ll find him for you.”

“Captain Ishihara—” Mordiki began.

Ishihara turned towards the Administrator with glacial slowness. “Yes. Administrator?”

“I, er, I, ah.” Mordiki swallowed. He felt the eyes of both Ishihara and the woman on him. It was easy to do wrong, when everyone around you was, too—and much harder once one, even just one person spoke up. “I want you to put your best men on this.”

Ishihara waited a beat before replying. “Of course, Administrator.” He turned back to Faith. “You get some rest, ma’am. We’re going to need a statement on video. I realize this will be ... difficult for you. Anything we can do to make you more comfortable, just let us know.”

Faith nodded, shakily. “Just bring him back.”

Ishihara nodded. “I realize you’ve been let down a lot by men in uniform recently, ma’am. But not this time. By God, not this time.”

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: 20 October 2019, 20:15:17 »
Text.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2023, 21:43:31 by Dubble_g »

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #69 on: 20 October 2019, 22:20:33 »
and the wait... it will be a pleasant wait, indeed...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #70 on: 21 October 2019, 03:07:01 »
Honestly, I had not expected Veil to survive this far. I´m glad he did, although I´m sure all that happened won´t be easy on him.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #71 on: 21 October 2019, 03:55:01 »
+1 for the SLDF!  8)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 21 October 2019, 20:04:24 »
SLDF or Comstar??
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #73 on: 21 October 2019, 22:00:10 »
SLDF or Comstar??
Both. Its only been a couple dozen years so you have certain mentaltiies still at play. The people now are still either Lawful Good or Lawful Neutral. Lawful Evil Comstar wont take root until another 20 years, with full on LEC* for another 50+ years
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #74 on: 21 October 2019, 23:28:24 »
What can I say? Nice. Very nice.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #75 on: 22 October 2019, 14:46:21 »
Finally manged to catch up .. phew.

Very, very impressive  :thumbsup:

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #76 on: 22 October 2019, 18:38:10 »
And Jinjiro's final breakdown becomes more understandable
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #77 on: 22 October 2019, 19:20:00 »
I thought his appearance was somewhat gratuitous at first, but from that perspective it makes perfect sense!  :thumbsup:

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #78 on: 22 October 2019, 19:35:09 »
Text.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2023, 21:38:47 by Dubble_g »

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: 22 October 2019, 19:40:32 »
Text.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2023, 21:40:33 by Dubble_g »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #80 on: 22 October 2019, 19:51:54 »
A farmer after all... how fitting.  :thumbsup:

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 22 October 2019, 20:00:03 »
Nicely concluded.  Of course 30 seconds after you conclude I'm looking for the PDF on your blog to add to my library  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: 22 October 2019, 20:03:47 by mikecj »
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #82 on: 22 October 2019, 20:15:22 »
Agreed, nice story.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #83 on: 22 October 2019, 23:33:02 »
Text
« Last Edit: 29 July 2023, 21:39:57 by Dubble_g »

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #84 on: 23 October 2019, 10:04:00 »
Yeah, it's coming ... Want to think of a better title for the story ("War Sickness", maybe, idk), and design a cover for it.

Maybe, inspired by Kirkan´s thoughts in the epilogues, "Better too late than never"?
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 23 October 2019, 13:00:15 »
 :clap: :clap:

Well done  and what about as a title = Raising your voice
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #86 on: 23 October 2019, 20:02:37 »
Text.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2023, 21:39:32 by Dubble_g »

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #87 on: 23 October 2019, 21:14:45 »
Thank you!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #88 on: 26 October 2019, 14:08:25 »
well I will say your fanfic will be missed Dubble_g but we will understand

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #89 on: 27 October 2019, 09:33:25 »
Thank you for your tremendous tales.  :thumbsup:

Register