Author Topic: Naval Pictures VI: A New Enterprise  (Read 203003 times)

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Re: Naval Pictures VI: A New Enterprise
« Reply #1080 on: 31 July 2019, 10:33:51 »
I would think the problem is how often you might have to fish the guy out of the drink . . . if the weight did not pull him immediately under.

Btw, what is that in the background?  Looks like some WWII bunker.
look like a decommissioned gun bunker.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #1081 on: 31 July 2019, 10:53:19 »

USS Gambier Bay sinks after a pummeling from Japanese surface vessels during the Philippines invasion.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1082 on: 31 July 2019, 11:10:56 »
look like a decommissioned gun bunker.

The structures in the background are Fortress IJmuiden in the Netherlands, more precisely the flagpole with the Dutch flag sits on the Core Fortress.

The Core Fortress is the original Dutch harbour fortress (on an island) which was reinforced in 1944 by adding additional bunkers around it - three heavy gun bunkers, two mortar bunkers, two depth charge launching bunkers, two artillery bunkers, six anti-tank gun bunkers, four heavy machine gun bunkers and about 15 others. It was flanked by three additional separate coastal artillery batteries in bunkers on either side and behind it across canals, and protected two large bunkers for torpedo boats and midget submarines situated right behind it. The wider area around IJmuiden port was protected by 150 other bunkers (usually anti-tank guns, MGs and such) and 1100 minor fortifications and earthworks along about a 10 km stretch of trenches and ramparts to stop tanks. Sort of the WW2 version of a Castle Brian.

It was rendered inoperable using 53 Tall Boys and two sorties with about 10 Disney Swishes each, and was demolished in 1947. Most of the structures - and most of the island itself - were removed in the 60s to expand the harbour.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2019, 11:27:13 by kato »

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1083 on: 31 July 2019, 11:23:38 »

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1084 on: 31 July 2019, 11:29:02 »
Since the Youtube algorithm brought it up : Heerenduin was the coastal artillery battery to the south of IJmuiden.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1085 on: 31 July 2019, 12:21:29 »

USS Gambier Bay sinks after a pummeling from Japanese surface vessels during the Philippines invasion.

Was Gambier Bay the one trapped sailors swam up from after she settled?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1086 on: 31 July 2019, 15:18:34 »
*snip*
- and most of the island itself -
*snip*
Am I the only one getting DoME vibes here?  :D

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1087 on: 31 July 2019, 15:49:33 »
Am I the only one getting DoME vibes here?  :D
Not quite on that scale, they did leave 40% of the island - just pared down to only the central fortress pretty much...

Map of Ijmuiden for 1945:

Yellow and red = Bunker Positions (red = still in place today)

Those blobs aren't individual bunkers but in each case group of bunkers. The northern coastal artillery battery is the blob to the top-left of the H in Hoogovens, the southern coastal artillery battery are the two vertical red blobs. The lines on land are the extent of the anti-tank defensive entrenchment (walls, ramparts, trenches). Some of the larger blobs in the outskirts within this are clusters of air defense bunkers.

"Hoogovens" itself ("furnaces") is a giant steel plant entirely within the 20 km² defense zone enclosed in the entrenchments.

The Core Fortress island can be quite clearly seen in the center. The red part is what remains of it - the core fortress and 11 of its 36 bunkers. Today that looks like this:

« Last Edit: 31 July 2019, 15:58:53 by kato »

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1088 on: 31 July 2019, 16:37:57 »
What's that big tall ship in the middle?

Makes my thumbs itch for a cutting out expedition.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #1089 on: 31 July 2019, 16:42:05 »

Probably a prize from the Raid on the Medway
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1090 on: 31 July 2019, 17:26:25 »

Squinting a lot, i think it's the Italian tall ship, Amerigo Vespucci.  She painted like her anyways.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1091 on: 02 August 2019, 14:04:08 »
Aussie's LHDs in action unloading landing craft with M1s on them.

This was originally posted on the SNAFU-Solomon.com website.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1092 on: 03 August 2019, 20:16:29 »
The imperial Russian Battleship, Retvizan. She built in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the 1890s prior to the Russian-Japanese War of 1904-05. She was part of the fleet send half way around the world to protect West Coast of China from Japanese.  The ship had either had lot of luck or really good crew ( i think the latter) since this ship was sunk three times!

First time by torpedoes at Port Arthur in February 1904, then again on the way to Vladivostok by canons fire.  Then finally during the Battle of Yellow Sea took heavy damage and returned with rest her squadron to Port Arthur, where she sank at the pier side after taking thirteen hits from  (11 in) howitzer shells. 

Ironically she was raised, but by the Japanese after Port Arthur was surrendered to the Japanese in 1908 and renamed the Hizen. 
She did better in service of the Imperial Japanese navy during World War 1, where she was supporting the allies against the Germans.

She was ultimately sank as target in 1926 after the Washington Treaty was signed.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2019, 20:27:18 by Wrangler »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1093 on: 04 August 2019, 21:15:38 »
I was wandering the internet, came across this.

This was Libyan Navy's S311 ‘Al Badr’ was one of six ships sold to Libya. A member of the Foxtrot class Attack submarine ‘B-533’ when she was commissioned in the USSR's navy.  Why she was abandoned in the shipyard for such long time i don't know.   She was eventually scraped in 2014.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1094 on: 04 August 2019, 23:27:57 »
I can't help but giggle looking at the concrete pen.  Get a photo at just the right angle, show the sub but get those steps on the side, and you're looking at a Mayan naval base with that architecture.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #1095 on: 05 August 2019, 10:33:43 »
Seriously! Lose the sub and that would make an excellent set for the Rebel base on Yavin IV.
I have spoken.

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #1096 on: 05 August 2019, 17:24:20 »

This was Libyan Navy's S311 ‘Al Badr’ was one of six ships sold to Libya. A member of the Foxtrot class Attack submarine ‘B-533’ when she was commissioned in the USSR's navy.  Why she was abandoned in the shipyard for such long time i don't know.   She was eventually scraped in 2014.
Nice pic. I sunk Al Badr in a solo game of Sixth Fleet just last winter. :D
liber et infractus

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #1097 on: 05 August 2019, 18:43:17 »
That... ah, that'll buff out... a little deck polish and some black paint... good as new in an afternoon. Right?
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1098 on: 06 August 2019, 06:24:23 »

Overgrown is a condition that you rarely associate with submarines
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1099 on: 06 August 2019, 09:37:45 »
Overgrown is a condition that you rarely associate with submarines

Lol, great observation if you include grass as part of it.

edit- spelling damn it
« Last Edit: 06 August 2019, 10:08:15 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1100 on: 06 August 2019, 10:06:05 »
That's just camouflage!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1101 on: 06 August 2019, 10:18:30 »
When trying to find other pictures of land submarines (subterra?) I ran across this . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_H-3_(SS-30)

Interesting story . . . you could say the sub got a 'kill' without a crew & while decommissioned.  The whole thing is sort of weird . . . the St Louis class cruiser was decommissioned a year after being built and was a reserve ship . . . then refit as a support vessel for torpedo equipped ships.
Colt Ward

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1102 on: 06 August 2019, 12:47:43 »
Those long sonar fins on 1950s subs always amaze me. Designwise 1950s subs look like they're right out of a atompunk pulp novel.
liber et infractus

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1103 on: 06 August 2019, 12:50:52 »
When trying to find other pictures of land submarines (subterra?) I ran across this . . .

Interesting story . . . you could say the sub got a 'kill' without a crew & while decommissioned.  The whole thing is sort of weird . . . the St Louis class cruiser was decommissioned a year after being built and was a reserve ship . . . then refit as a support vessel for torpedo equipped ships.
There is also the story of U-118, an Imperial German Navy submarine that washed ashore at Hastings.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/u-118-submarine-ashore-hastings-1919/
liber et infractus

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1104 on: 06 August 2019, 15:43:41 »
Those long sonar fins on 1950s subs always amaze me. Designwise 1950s subs look like they're right out of a atompunk pulp novel.
1950s ANYTHING pretty much defines the atompunk aesthetic...

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1105 on: 06 August 2019, 16:01:32 »
1950s ANYTHING pretty much defines the atompunk aesthetic...

Apropos of nothing, a great article on LA Googie architecture: https://la.curbed.com/2017/9/29/16384732/googie-southern-california-architecture
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1106 on: 06 August 2019, 16:10:57 »
Hilarious!  Thanks for the link!  :thumbsup:

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #1107 on: 06 August 2019, 16:21:51 »
The PUFFS (Passive Underwater Fire-control Feasibility System/Studies) arrays?

It would be a combination of the technology requirements for the era and passive sonar targeting requirements. A contact can be positioned with two different noise levels and bearings. This is one of the reasons to use a towed array on a submarine. Also, a much smaller version is still in service on the Royal Canadian Navy's Victoria-class submarines.

Of which, here's a picture of HMCS Victoria (SSK-876)
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1108 on: 06 August 2019, 19:32:58 »
Apropos of nothing, a great article on LA Googie architecture: https://la.curbed.com/2017/9/29/16384732/googie-southern-california-architecture
God that defines my childhood.  Born in San Diego in '77.  SUCH FEEL.  VERY NOSTALGIA.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1109 on: 06 August 2019, 20:11:34 »
God that defines my childhood.  Born in San Diego in '77.  SUCH FEEL.  VERY NOSTALGIA.

Same. My cousins live in Downey and we'd be there nearly every single summer as kids.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.