Author Topic: Taking the Militia Firebase  (Read 15194 times)

Challenger

• Warrant Officer
  • Six or Styx
    • My Fanfiction Stories
Re: Taking the Militia Firebase
« Reply #30 on: 22 August 2019, 14:43:42 »
Nothing less than 4/6/4... an when I'm out of LRM ammo, I have enough physicals to handle anything!

I think TT probably has the right idea. Use a company of jump capable mech to jump the outer wall as a single group, destroy the artillery and carriers located there, then sweep out and destroy the outer defences at your leisure.

Personally I’d approach on the far bank, using whatever cover was available. Wade/jump across the river immediately to the north of the river and then jump into the middle of the firebase on mass. Once your in the centre of their base, there isn’t too much the defenders can do about you.

I’m thinking
1x Victor 9B
3x Thunderbolt 5SE
5x Wolverine 6M
4x Jenner 7F

Challenger

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
  • https://owa3025.blogspot.com/
    • Outworlds Alliance blog
« Reply #31 on: 22 August 2019, 15:16:09 »
This is an interesting scenario. Have you made the map in Megamek?

My comments on the units: a Company of LRM Carriers can do a lot of damage but I wonder how many actual hits they can score on a full company of fast Medium mechs with JJ. Once inside, the Scorpions can be taken at short range and with physical attacks and SRM infantry will survive more or less depending on the number of MGs you bring to play. If you bring Inferno SRMs it can be a very short engagement.

I see little use for mechs without JJ and also for Light mechs because of weak armor. Slower mechs will be an easy prey for the LRM carriers

So, as attacker, I would use a full company of Medium mechs with JJ. As defender, I would trade the Scorpions for a smaller number of SRM carriers and instead of Field Guns with AC2s and AC5s, I would have them with AC20s.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #32 on: 22 August 2019, 15:23:14 »
Challenger, I did state the river was 6-9 hexes wide (maybe more in places) with a depth of 3 in the channel.  The objective is to clear the firebase to get access to the bridge to the N of the base that crossed the river. 

kaliban, yeah its a MM map.  I have a lot of 32x32 that I keep forgetting to share with the MM devs.  This is part of a river collection where you can cover each bank and it be something like a 6 BT map length river with both banks and not repeat a map.

Field Guns can also rapid fire without jamming or even blowing up, 5s & 2s get them the ability to respond to sniping and with it being a mixed company of Scorpions it could have some SRM carriers.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 22 August 2019, 16:38:52 »
Challenger, I did state the river was 6-9 hexes wide (maybe more in places) with a depth of 3 in the channel.  The objective is to clear the firebase to get access to the bridge to the N of the base that crossed the river. 

kaliban, yeah its a MM map.  I have a lot of 32x32 that I keep forgetting to share with the MM devs.  This is part of a river collection where you can cover each bank and it be something like a 6 BT map length river with both banks and not repeat a map.

Field Guns can also rapid fire without jamming or even blowing up, 5s & 2s get them the ability to respond to sniping and with it being a mixed company of Scorpions it could have some SRM carriers.

The map is great. I miss that in Megamek.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #34 on: 22 August 2019, 16:40:13 »
Miss what in MegaMek?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Challenger

• Warrant Officer
  • Six or Styx
    • My Fanfiction Stories
« Reply #35 on: 23 August 2019, 02:38:50 »

Sorry I left off the details in an attempt at brevity.

I envision the mechs jumping out as far as possible (I think thats legal) then wading the rest of the way. To be fair, for mechs with torso mounted jump jets, they might be able to jump across in stages and then leap the wall from the -1 water hexes

Challenger

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #36 on: 23 August 2019, 09:09:07 »
Yeah, I will put up another map . . . forgot I could zoom out in MM so you could see more of the map.
Colt Ward

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 23 August 2019, 10:39:26 »
Miss what in MegaMek?

maps like this one. I tried to customize maps in MM but it is very time consuming

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #38 on: 23 August 2019, 11:02:51 »
It can get faster . . . I have templates that I use- what got me started on the current set was I wanted properly connecting/laid out cities.  So I have the road grid established to where it will connect from 1 map to another but methods for breaking up the straight line of sight.  Then I built the riverside set which this is a part of . . .

Basically to start building new maps on to the existing sets, I have a list of where roads & rivers connect from one map to another.  I put a lot of effort into hiding the edges of the map so that with the large view you cannot tell where the edges meet.  I then took the BT maps of 16x17 and laid them out with a older MM version in a 2x2 arrangement, took that and cut out a row or two to convert the BT maps into one of my 32x32 maps.  Gave me half a dozen fillers.  Cranked out half of a single map and 75% of 3 maps on Wednesday night in a couple of hours for Pofadder's Gully on Icar.
Colt Ward