Author Topic: Pirate Camapign?  (Read 2624 times)

Trellis Serf

• Recruit
Pirate Camapign?
« on: 29 July 2021, 18:47:16 »
Just curious if anyone's had experience with running a pirate campaign, as opposed to the "standard" mercenary campaign?

I'm getting off my rear after a several year hiatus and am organizing a campaign on Roll20.  I'd like to try a concept that can satisfy most itches (kingdom building, conquest, big stompy action, etc.) while giving players a sandbox in the Periphery.  I also tend to like when players start out with crappy 'mechs, but then wrangle themselves up some fine killing machines.

I don't often think of every angle, so if anyone has any advice on such a campaign.  Things I should look out for (other than crazy players on Roll20)?  My thoughts were maybe to set it in the Barrens, with disparate people trying to form a new life after being abandoned by the Clans and whatnot.  It would allow players to play Clan Washouts/Dark Caste, unless they are too troublesome to have as PCs.

I'm usually a horribly niche gamemaster, so I'm trying to break that of myself, too.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Pirate Camapign?
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2021, 19:36:37 »
Astrokaszy is a good place to start too.  The Houses were said to have tested a lot of "advanced" tech there in the 3SW era.

My personal experience with a pirate campaign is where the story about my friend surviving an ammo explosion in a Rifleman came from.  We survived that battle, but not the next one...

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2021, 23:07:22 »
One thing to consider for the pirate campaign, is how the pirates are going to get information about which targets are good to attack.  So the characters will need contacts on a variety of planets, plus a way to get that information to the characters.

If you want the official rules for running a pirate campaign, Campaign Operations is what you should use.

If you just want to run your own campaign, you might want to have your own table of how much heat you create in an area (before the targeted planets/region hire mercs to come after you), some way to buy and sell the stuff you loot in order to get spare parts, and some Administration skills so your pirates can have their own chunk of land full of stuff they rightfully stole.

Just remember, if the pirate base gets to be a little too wealthy another pirate group might raid their home.

Trellis Serf

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2021, 23:36:57 »
One thing to consider for the pirate campaign, is how the pirates are going to get information about which targets are good to attack.  So the characters will need contacts on a variety of planets, plus a way to get that information to the characters.

If you want the official rules for running a pirate campaign, Campaign Operations is what you should use.

If you just want to run your own campaign, you might want to have your own table of how much heat you create in an area (before the targeted planets/region hire mercs to come after you), some way to buy and sell the stuff you loot in order to get spare parts, and some Administration skills so your pirates can have their own chunk of land full of stuff they rightfully stole.

Just remember, if the pirate base gets to be a little too wealthy another pirate group might raid their home.
Astrokaszy is a good place to start too.  The Houses were said to have tested a lot of "advanced" tech there in the 3SW era.

My personal experience with a pirate campaign is where the story about my friend surviving an ammo explosion in a Rifleman came from.  We survived that battle, but not the next one...

I just got Campaign Ops, too.  Whew.  Glad I made a coincidental purchase.

So, thanks for the input.  I would probably leave it up to the players to decide how large a scope to bring the game.  Just some down home raiding and then shooting the breeze at a Periphery watering hole?  Or full on grow the Bandit Kingdom.  If the Marians and Cricinians (RIP) can do it, why can't we?  I'll brainstorm some ideas, though I think either focusing on the former Extractor worlds, or something.  Maybe set it late and revive the Ragnarok Union for a third time.  Third time's the charm, right?

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2021, 13:08:15 »
I just got Campaign Ops, too.  Whew.  Glad I made a coincidental purchase.

So, thanks for the input.  I would probably leave it up to the players to decide how large a scope to bring the game.  Just some down home raiding and then shooting the breeze at a Periphery watering hole?  Or full on grow the Bandit Kingdom.  If the Marians and Cricinians (RIP) can do it, why can't we?  I'll brainstorm some ideas, though I think either focusing on the former Extractor worlds, or something.  Maybe set it late and revive the Ragnarok Union for a third time.  Third time's the charm, right?

One thing to consider is how the players are going to be acting as pirates.  Are they Robin Hood type where they steal the good stuff from various nobles and leave the serfs/peasants alone?  Or are they grabbing whatever is not nailed down, prying up what is, and taking the nails?  Or are they going to be adding a few extra Bay Quarters to their Dropship so they can grab slaves and sell them in a market?

If you want a feel-good type of pirate campaign, you might put them near the Draconis Combine or Capellan Confederation where they steal from the nobles that work their peasants almost to death.  Make sure to let the players know that if their characters are captured then their characters will be dead in 1-2 months, and the time before that death will NOT be pleasant.  Maybe they can pull off a rescue mission (or just assassinating the character so they die quickly)

If you want a steal-everything type of campaign, you might put them near FWL and Lyran alliance, so whatever they steal from the FWL they can sell in Lyran territory, and vice versa (just make sure to use different Dropships/Jumpships so the ruse isn't discovered).  Partnering with another pirate unit so both of you can specialize would be a good idea, plus you can trade spares/loot to each other.  The fun is that you two will also be eyeing each other for the first sign of backstabbing.

If you want a general slave-taking operation, putting them near the FedSuns, FWL, or Lyrans might be a good idea.  Draconis serfs or Cappellan servitors might not notice much of a difference.

If you want a nice mix, you could put them near the DC/Lyran border (or just a short bit coreward), so they can steal from Draconis nobles, rescue peasants/political prisoners, and still steal from Lyran palaces as well.

Register