Author Topic: What would you like to see in a new Mechwarrior game?  (Read 7011 times)

Alain Yanez

• Corporal
What would you like to see in a new Mechwarrior game?
« on: 17 January 2012, 21:18:16 »
Personally, I would like to see the following:

1.  The story arc be a long term one, wrapped up in the history of the Inner Sphere/Clans.
2.  The ability to play either Inner Sphere (House, or merc), or Clan from the time of the Exodus on.
3.  No more "this is the story of the executed Duke's son" stories!   Good god, if I wanted that I'd go back and play the Activision game.
4.  A contract system for mercenaries wherein you negoitiate your contract.  (Activision's original game did an ok job with this)
5.  The ability to field a much larger unit.   (The graphics in MW4 were fine.  I'd take a better game over better graphics any day.)   A company/trinary at the very least.   A battalion/cluster would be better.   A regiment/galaxy would be even better, but, I'm not sure that could reasonably be done.
6.  Give me ALL the bloody 'Mechs!  (I don't care if you redesign them, or have the originals)
7.  Hopefully these game designers have the wit to call Harmony Gold and whoever else they need to call to get everything approved BEFORE they do anything!!!!!  (THINK)
8.  A wider variety of people to hire and use, with a wider variety of skills.
9.  Did I mention the ability to field a larger unit?  (Oh, and not have a mission tell me I can't field my whole command.)
10.  Lastly, I would like to see more missions like the Govenor's Mansion in MW4 where you can use your command tacticly.  I always send off my second lance to the North Mansion and take my first lance toward the hovers on the river, then, continue with a flanking march to intercept the other two lances while my second lance deals with the other force.   That feels good to be able to do things like that.  I'd love to be able to split my command to do more things at once.
11.  More logistics.  Would love to have to really run a merc unit.  House or Clan units would be different as the Clan would be responsible for logistics, but, your success, or failure, ought to have some impact on your support levels there. 

Ok, that's my feeble list...What's yours?

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What would you like to see in a new Mechwarrior game?
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2012, 03:45:13 »
First, I assume that you talk about "fictional " new game, not about MechWarrior Online or MechWarrior: Tactical Command.  A game with single-player campaign ...

1.  The story arc be a long term one, wrapped up in the history of the Inner Sphere/Clans.
Nice, but not likely. It's definitely possible. Probably longest campaign was in MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries which campaign spanned across ten or fifteen years (cannot remember exactly).

2.  The ability to play either Inner Sphere (House, or merc), or Clan from the time of the Exodus on.
In connection with 1., do you have "a campaign" taking decades or maybe centuries in mind? Difficult task to make player interested in so long storyline. Most games make player to impersonate an in-universe character. How would you solved this problem? Make player interested in some Bloodhouse(Clan) and its succesive members? (scion of Noble House for the Inner Sphere, conquering territory?)

3.  No more "this is the story of the executed Duke's son" stories!   Good god, if I wanted that I'd go back and play the Activision game.
I do not want it too, but the problem is not that serious. What games used this motive? MW 1 and  MW4V. That is all. You have a few possibilities how to start a campaign. As a House soldier/Clan warrior. As a Mercenary. As a freedom fighter. As a member of corporate security (a kind of mercenary if you think about it).

4.  A contract system for mercenaries wherein you negoitiate your contract.  (Activision's original game did an ok job with this)
O.K.

5.  The ability to field a much larger unit.   (The graphics in MW4 were fine.  I'd take a better game over better graphics any day.)   A company/trinary at the very least.   A battalion/cluster would be better.   A regiment/galaxy would be even better, but, I'm not sure that could reasonably be done.
It's not easy to command big unit in a battle. I think you are overreaching from MechWarrior to MechCommander.

6.  Give me ALL the bloody 'Mechs!  (I don't care if you redesign them, or have the originals)
One word - copyright ...

7.  Hopefully these game designers have the wit to call Harmony Gold and whoever else they need to call to get everything approved BEFORE they do anything!!!!!  (THINK)
see point 6.
Why should Harmony Gold help its bussines rivals?

8.  A wider variety of people to hire and use, with a wider variety of skills.
But those skills must be useful in combat, otherwise people will still decide for same two or three skills. Skill for negotiations could be useful. Skill for making black-market friends who can obtain cheap spare parts. Drinking friend who can obtain some interesting intelligence in nearest bar...
Some skills from MechCommander 2 vere good too.

9.  Did I mention the ability to field a larger unit?  (Oh, and not have a mission tell me I can't field my whole command.)
Well, you do not have unlimited supply of Overlords, do you?

10.  Lastly, I would like to see more missions like the Govenor's Mansion in MW4 where you can use your command tacticly.  I always send off my second lance to the North Mansion and take my first lance toward the hovers on the river, then, continue with a flanking march to intercept the other two lances while my second lance deals with the other force.   That feels good to be able to do things like that.  I'd love to be able to split my command to do more things at once.
That's nothing new, every MW and MC game had it (except MW 1). The problem is the same as always. Your lancemates aren't the smartest ones and sending them away could result in disaster. Most players won't do that unless forced by game to do that.

11.  More logistics.  Would love to have to really run a merc unit.  House or Clan units would be different as the Clan would be responsible for logistics, but, your success, or failure, ought to have some impact on your support levels there. 
MW games and MC1 already had it. I would combine black market from MW4: Mercs (not that one from MW4: BK with barter) with limited cargo space of your dropship or mobile field base from MW3. MW4 was unrealistic in this thing because it allowed you to stock chassis of forty 'Mechs. The item prices should differ depending on the territory you are in (so cheap lasers in FWL and so on) and maybe even randomly.

Oh, and one more thing. Soundtrack should be made by Duane Decker. I have always enjoyed his music, and it belongs to MechWarrior and MechCommander.

Alain Yanez

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2012, 15:06:32 »
First, I assume that you talk about "fictional " new game, not about MechWarrior Online or MechWarrior: Tactical Command.  A game with single-player campaign ...
Nice, but not likely. It's definitely possible. Probably longest campaign was in MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries which campaign spanned across ten or fifteen years (cannot remember exactly).

Yes, a fictional, new game...Which, hopefully wouldn't be so fictional if someone would get programming. :)  And, yes, a single player campaign.   Actually, I think the longest potential campaign was Activision's, although calling that a campaign is a really loose use of the term.   You could skip the storyline and simply take contracts across the Inner Sphere.   But, I would love to have some sort of long-term campaign that was not the standard "Let's by the cheat book and beat this in 12 hours game."   I, personally, think a game should be playable over a very long time.   Give it a storyline for the short attention span theatre kids, and something less story driven, perhaps, but, playable over the long run for guys like me.   

In connection with 1., do you have "a campaign" taking decades or maybe centuries in mind? Difficult task to make player interested in so long storyline. Most games make player to impersonate an in-universe character. How would you solved this problem? Make player interested in some Bloodhouse(Clan) and its successive members? (scion of Noble House for the Inner Sphere, conquering territory?)

Not sure how to ultimately solve the issue, I would like to see the player having a stake in a unit/Clan, or region, which would drive their actions.     I think if you give the game an engine where success means that their faction gains (perhaps their successes lead to faction X having control of certain planets in n years.   Or their failures mean a whole campaign fails.   Not sure how you'd program that, but, I do know that I have played games in the past that used similar types of engines. 

It's not easy to command big unit in a battle. I think you are overreaching from MechWarrior to MechCommander.

I think you command it much the same way you issue commands in MW4.   It makes me excited when I run the Governor's Mansion mission knowing that my 2nd lance is out of my control and doing their own thing.  If I have made bad personnel choices, or bad 'Mech choices, they lose.  I lose.   That is how things happen in the real world.   Personally I enjoy that.  Perhaps, you use a scheme similar to the waypoint scheme Activision's Mechwarrior used, where you could send your lancemates marching to certain points on the map.    Perhaps that is how you control such a big unit.   Once forces are outside of your area of direct control, perhaps you only communicate through the company/trinary commanders, or batallion, if you allow for a regiment/galaxy.

I don't think you have to make the game like 'Mech Commander to do that.   I think you can mate the first person aspect of Mechwarrior with that overarching command style.

One word - copyright ...
see point 6.
Why should Harmony Gold help its bussines rivals?

Then, redesign them.  I know that's not ideal, but, I like the original 'Mechs.   And, I think if approached the right way, Harmony Gold might be able to be brought to the table, but, I am sure that conversation is going to be hard to start, given the actions of people in the past.   I don't think that Battletech and Robotech are really rivals.   Very, very similar, but, quite different stories and events.   I think if you could somehow include nods to Harmony Gold within the game (not sure what you would do, that would involve knowing what would make them happy) then, you might be able to do something.  Note, that's a LOT of might and maybe's.

But those skills must be useful in combat, otherwise people will still decide for same two or three skills. Skill for negotiations could be useful. Skill for making black-market friends who can obtain cheap spare parts. Drinking friend who can obtain some interesting intelligence in nearest bar...
Some skills from MechCommander 2 vere good too.

I probably should have been more clear here.   In MW4 several pilots are noted as being good with scouting, or mediums, or "hot-headed."  Yet, when you play the game, they are none of those things.    I would love to see someone like Sheridan from the original Black Widow Company sourcebook...Reckless, charges into battle, ignores orders.   Well modeled, so that they aren't suicidal, but, bordering there, and certainly insubordinate at times, that pilot could make battles a LOT of fun.  Not really looking for someone to have negotiating skills, but, that MIGHT be an option to work with a contract system.  Certainly 'Mech pilots with tech skills would be a valuable addition to a unit.   (Especially if you added an option to start with a hard luck unit, like Wilson's Hussars.)

Well, you do not have unlimited supply of Overlords, do you?

Who says I don't have REALLY deep pockets? ;)   I understand your point, but, I would like to see in game deployment limited by in  game factors, and not the scenario simply saying, hey, you're paying for those other people, but, you can't use them.   I am not going to deploy less than the maximum available force (unless I am a Clanner) to obtain the objective.   You could make the game so that sometimes it scales up your opposition in the mission, sometimes not.   Random fog or war kind of stuff.

That's nothing new, every MW and MC game had it (except MW 1). The problem is the same as always. Your lancemates aren't the smartest ones and sending them away could result in disaster. Most players won't do that unless forced by game to do that.

Could is the operative word there.   As I said above, I really like being able to give different parts of my unit different jobs to do.   If I choose to keep my force concentrated I do, but, I like to be able to shift them to actually have the feel of a real fight.   Again, I use the example of the mission Governor's Mansion in MW4.   Using both of my lances to smack the initial batch of hovercraft would be a waste.   In the real situation, I would dispatch my other lance to guard that Northern Mansion, and keep my lance to their flank.   If needed, I can always run in that direction, and if I am late and lose, that's just spice for the game to me.

MW games and MC1 already had it. I would combine black market from MW4: Mercs (not that one from MW4: BK with barter) with limited cargo space of your dropship or mobile field base from MW3. MW4 was unrealistic in this thing because it allowed you to stock chassis of forty 'Mechs. The item prices should differ depending on the territory you are in (so cheap lasers in FWL and so on) and maybe even randomly.

I would love to see it in a MW4 kind of game.   The repair situation was pretty much based on do you have the cash, not, do you have the parts.    And, if you burn up more ammo than you have, that ought to haunt you in a campaign.   I would like to see things like gyro hits, and heat sinks being knocked out.  Weapons lost due to ammo shortages, or lack of a replacement.  In some ways, MW4 (and 2 and 3 and all that preceded those) made the game too easy from a supply standpoint.   The original Mercenaries Handbook had a system for handling that which had a bit of detail, but, not so much as to be overwhelming as I recall it.    You could implement something along those lines and have a pretty satisfactory way to simulate damage being a pain in the hiney.

As for the music, I'll take your word for that. :)

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2012, 17:09:51 »
I think you command it much the same way you issue commands in MW4.   It makes me excited when I run the Governor's Mansion mission knowing that my 2nd lance is out of my control and doing their own thing.  If I have made bad personnel choices, or bad 'Mech choices, they lose.  I lose.   That is how things happen in the real world.   Personally I enjoy that.  Perhaps, you use a scheme similar to the waypoint scheme Activision's Mechwarrior used, where you could send your lancemates marching to certain points on the map.    Perhaps that is how you control such a big unit.   Once forces are outside of your area of direct control, perhaps you only communicate through the company/trinary commanders, or batallion, if you allow for a regiment/galaxy.
The problem is that you do not know what's happening elsewhere on the battlefield. I feel that seeing complete battlefield (with full situational awareness) is against your idea of the future MW game, but how to make sure you know what's going on and how your detached lances or companies are fighting?
3050+ era has C3 networks (and MW3 used them with some success), but during Succession Wars there's only limited selection of scout tools. The first is is to buy so-called Terrain Mapper from Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Inception. It's a small device which ties into orbiting satellites and can take a snapshot of the battlefield and send this snapshot to your 'Mech. Or you could hire a fighter or recon plane with cameras? Another possibility would be to deploy Hi-scout drones before the battle begins.

I don't think you have to make the game like 'Mech Commander to do that.   I think you can mate the first person aspect of Mechwarrior with that overarching command style.
Hm, you would have to combine Battle Computer interface from MW2 with map from MW3 (which allowed you to order your lancemates to go to exactly designated place, so you weren't limited to pre-selected navpoints). Come with some solution which wouldn't slowed the game (at least too much ...).

Then, redesign them.  I know that's not ideal, but, I like the original 'Mechs.   And, I think if approached the right way, Harmony Gold might be able to be brought to the table, but, I am sure that conversation is going to be hard to start, given the actions of people in the past.   I don't think that Battletech and Robotech are really rivals.   Very, very similar, but, quite different stories and events.   I think if you could somehow include nods to Harmony Gold within the game (not sure what you would do, that would involve knowing what would make them happy) then, you might be able to do something.  Note, that's a LOT of might and maybe's.

I say freely that I am fan of so-called Unseens. I have nothing against Reseens from Technical Readout: Project Phoenix, but I accept them only as modernized versions of classical 'Mechs. Should game developers come with changed exteriors of classical Unseens, I would be fine as long as they tried to keep the "retro" look of those 'Mechs. Make them look differently enough (so you will satisfy Harmony Gold and protect yourself against lawsuit), but keep the spirit of originals, so you will need one look only to identify the 'Mech. Look there and check that Ostroc - that's what I had in mind ...
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,12951.0.html

I probably should have been more clear here.   In MW4 several pilots are noted as being good with scouting, or mediums, or "hot-headed."  Yet, when you play the game, they are none of those things.
Well, some of them are actually better than you with sensors and they warn you before you can spot the enemy on your radar scope, but because you are always with them (and because of how the game mechanics works), the difference is only a few seconds at most.

I would love to see someone like Sheridan from the original Black Widow Company sourcebook...Reckless, charges into battle, ignores orders.   Well modeled, so that they aren't suicidal, but, bordering there, and certainly insubordinate at times, that pilot could make battles a LOT of fun.
I agree it's interesting idea, but I would settled myself for a less ambitious feat: Make lancemates more intelligent. MW3 was pure tragedy. My lancemates were always lined one behind the other. The first 'Mech was shooting and the other two were just one step behind his back doing nothing. MW4 was much better in this regard (initiative in movement and fire), but there was a problem with weapons use. I used to be really angry when my lancemate's Catapult loaded with LRMs charged against enemy and tried to fight in point-blank range.
So in this future MW game I would make something similar as MC2 had with 'Mechs. Do you remember how the game showed you 'Mech with weapons and designated the 'Mech with accordance with prevalent weapon systems as long-,  medium- or short-range fighter? So in the future MW game the Catapult would be rated as long-range 'Mech and the AI would forced it to keep the distance from enemy 'Mechs.

Not really looking for someone to have negotiating skills, but, that MIGHT be an option to work with a contract system.  Certainly 'Mech pilots with tech skills would be a valuable addition to a unit.   (Especially if you added an option to start with a hard luck unit, like Wilson's Hussars.)
During Succession Wars many Mechwarriors were forced to double as Techs for their own 'Mechs to keep them operational. What I have in mind? To have one Mechwarrior cross-trained as Tech or Astech, so you can get some salvage after the battle for free. Have you played BattleTech: Crescent Hawk's Inception? Here you can have your character trained in this skill.
Or it would make customization of 'Mech or vehicle less costly (or less time consuming) because such character would make part of the job himself.

Could is the operative word there.   As I said above, I really like being able to give different parts of my unit different jobs to do.   If I choose to keep my force concentrated I do, but, I like to be able to shift them to actually have the feel of a real fight.   Again, I use the example of the mission Governor's Mansion in MW4.   Using both of my lances to smack the initial batch of hovercraft would be a waste.   In the real situation, I would dispatch my other lance to guard that Northern Mansion, and keep my lance to their flank.   If needed, I can always run in that direction, and if I am late and lose, that's just spice for the game to me.
I understand you, but the successful strategy usually requires "concentration of force", not dilution. Commanders who deployed their forces piecemeal or in different zones of battlefield sometimes ended very badly. See Battle of Savo Island for details. Attempt to cover everything ended with total and shameful defeat. Now imagine that you send one lance there, second lance into that forest over there and the backup company over the hill.
I do not have to go far for example. In MW4:Mercs there was a mission when you were guarding radio station. You send one lance to pursue two Ravens and a Hellspawn. Behind the ridge is Steiner assault company with a bunch of Atlas, Thanatos, Awesome and Catapult BattleMechs. Bummer, isn't it?

I would love to see it in a MW4 kind of game.   The repair situation was pretty much based on do you have the cash, not, do you have the parts.    And, if you burn up more ammo than you have, that ought to haunt you in a campaign.   I would like to see things like gyro hits, and heat sinks being knocked out.  Weapons lost due to ammo shortages, or lack of a replacement.  In some ways, MW4 (and 2 and 3 and all that preceded those) made the game too easy from a supply standpoint.   The original Mercenaries Handbook had a system for handling that which had a bit of detail, but, not so much as to be overwhelming as I recall it.    You could implement something along those lines and have a pretty satisfactory way to simulate damage being a pain in the hiney.
Techs should be more of a value. Just imagine that your 'Mech moves slowlier than usual because you have no Tech rated to check you fusion engine. The game could have some random factor increasing a chance that some important system or weapon fails during mission because you have decided to use the 'Mech all the time and not to let it go through periodical check (which would require to keep said 'Mech out of one or two missions). Remember one mission from MW3 in which you must capture enemy fortress with repair facilities because your MFBs aren't equipped with necessary tools to make all needed repairs on your 'Mechs.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2012, 15:25:39 »
Personally, I'd rather see a strategic-level game than another ground-based "flight sim".  At the very least, a strategic level atop the FPS interface would allow you to decide where to go personally and where to commit AI units.  That beats having a stable of 30 'Mechs sitting there and only being able to deploy 4 of them.

Downslide

• Master Sergeant
  • Cry Havoc
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2012, 20:34:54 »
I want another Mech Commander-esque game, only better.
Everyman thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier. - Samuel Johnson

Yes, combat really is a hurtful, deadly thing. 

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2012, 23:59:47 »
honestly if I could have my dream "mechwarrior game?" it would be a form of mechwarrior RPG on the computer

I would like to have a campaign that is partially RNG IE the database used to "instance" the world/s would have at least 1000 shall we say plot hooks and missions most of which should have more than 1 way of completing them.

if based on the ATOW RPG I would like to see at least a 10 hr campaign built around each of the Char template samples in the book with the "seed" randomness being able to incorperate "mix and match" add in modules, I would like there to be an option to generate a "random" campaign, as well as a "generator /mod system" so that players could write up their own campaign. a "charactor generator that would allow you to gen up a ATOW compliant char, and also import/export same, a multiplayer option would be nice with both cooperative and pvp options, coop if implimented should have "scalable difficulties" if possible I would like to have it include "grand strategy modules" also meaning that you could play at the level of the person/soldier in the street, all the way up to the "house lord"

if you play at the "house lord level" I would like to have it play along the lines of a Master of orion 2 game feel IE you can choose to invade a neighbor, but you can also do R&D  to develop the capability to build everything from a mech/computer all the way up to "warships" and the infrastructure to support them

Alain Yanez

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2012, 14:29:21 »
The problem is that you do not know what's happening elsewhere on the battlefield. I feel that seeing complete battlefield (with full situational awareness) is against your idea of the future MW game, but how to make sure you know what's going on and how your detached lances or companies are fighting?
3050+ era has C3 networks (and MW3 used them with some success), but during Succession Wars there's only limited selection of scout tools. The first is is to buy so-called Terrain Mapper from Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Inception. It's a small device which ties into orbiting satellites and can take a snapshot of the battlefield and send this snapshot to your 'Mech. Or you could hire a fighter or recon plane with cameras? Another possibility would be to deploy Hi-scout drones before the battle begins.
Hm, you would have to combine Battle Computer interface from MW2 with map from MW3 (which allowed you to order your lancemates to go to exactly designated place, so you weren't limited to pre-selected navpoints). Come with some solution which wouldn't slowed the game (at least too much ...).

I say freely that I am fan of so-called Unseens. I have nothing against Reseens from Technical Readout: Project Phoenix, but I accept them only as modernized versions of classical 'Mechs. Should game developers come with changed exteriors of classical Unseens, I would be fine as long as they tried to keep the "retro" look of those 'Mechs. Make them look differently enough (so you will satisfy Harmony Gold and protect yourself against lawsuit), but keep the spirit of originals, so you will need one look only to identify the 'Mech. Look there and check that Ostroc - that's what I had in mind ...
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,12951.0.html
Well, some of them are actually better than you with sensors and they warn you before you can spot the enemy on your radar scope, but because you are always with them (and because of how the game mechanics works), the difference is only a few seconds at most.
I agree it's interesting idea, but I would settled myself for a less ambitious feat: Make lancemates more intelligent. MW3 was pure tragedy. My lancemates were always lined one behind the other. The first 'Mech was shooting and the other two were just one step behind his back doing nothing. MW4 was much better in this regard (initiative in movement and fire), but there was a problem with weapons use. I used to be really angry when my lancemate's Catapult loaded with LRMs charged against enemy and tried to fight in point-blank range.
So in this future MW game I would make something similar as MC2 had with 'Mechs. Do you remember how the game showed you 'Mech with weapons and designated the 'Mech with accordance with prevalent weapon systems as long-,  medium- or short-range fighter? So in the future MW game the Catapult would be rated as long-range 'Mech and the AI would forced it to keep the distance from enemy 'Mechs.

During Succession Wars many Mechwarriors were forced to double as Techs for their own 'Mechs to keep them operational. What I have in mind? To have one Mechwarrior cross-trained as Tech or Astech, so you can get some salvage after the battle for free. Have you played BattleTech: Crescent Hawk's Inception? Here you can have your character trained in this skill.
Or it would make customization of 'Mech or vehicle less costly (or less time consuming) because such character would make part of the job himself.
I understand you, but the successful strategy usually requires "concentration of force", not dilution. Commanders who deployed their forces piecemeal or in different zones of battlefield sometimes ended very badly. See Battle of Savo Island for details. Attempt to cover everything ended with total and shameful defeat. Now imagine that you send one lance there, second lance into that forest over there and the backup company over the hill.
I do not have to go far for example. In MW4:Mercs there was a mission when you were guarding radio station. You send one lance to pursue two Ravens and a Hellspawn. Behind the ridge is Steiner assault company with a bunch of Atlas, Thanatos, Awesome and Catapult BattleMechs. Bummer, isn't it?

Techs should be more of a value. Just imagine that your 'Mech moves slowlier than usual because you have no Tech rated to check you fusion engine. The game could have some random factor increasing a chance that some important system or weapon fails during mission because you have decided to use the 'Mech all the time and not to let it go through periodical check (which would require to keep said 'Mech out of one or two missions). Remember one mission from MW3 in which you must capture enemy fortress with repair facilities because your MFBs aren't equipped with necessary tools to make all needed repairs on your 'Mechs.

Kovax

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2012, 09:04:46 »
Deploying all of your available forces in one lump is fine, as long as you know where the opponent is.  In the probable event that you do not, then you need to split off recon elements.  You may also need to protect more than one objective point, and concentrating all of your eggs into one "winning" basket will leave the other objective(s) unguarded.

In previous games, you could pick your best units for each engagement, rather than having to use "sub-optimal" units in order to cover more than one possibility.  I don't care if you play the seperate scenarios one after the other before being allowed time to repair, or if one is totally AI vs AI in the background while you fight in another one, I'd like more of the strategic aspect and hard choices about what to field where and when, not just a string of FPS scenarios.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #9 on: 25 January 2012, 02:34:01 »
A game where (ground) Battle armor, Mech, Aerospace and Mechcommanding where all inter twined. You can choose to play one roll in each of them and it interacts with other areas of command

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2012, 04:46:58 »
As long as it's not MechWarrior 4, even with the MekTek mods, it can't lose.  Worst game of the series for the PC.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2012, 12:11:09 »
bit tough...
considering that almost all previous incrnations only let you pilot the mech only.
would love to see infantry , powered armor , armored apc and tanks,  tossed in the mix along with planes and chopers as options to use in game... make it open world aka gta series with missions and ability to earn money and expiriance to get he mech and weapons you want or any vehicle and hopefuly buy a squad if infantry  or elemental merceneries to do a squad mission something like rainbow six ...hey i can dream right?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 31 January 2012, 18:12:00 »
I guess my point is I would love to have a new "mechwarrior" game that was a mechwarrior RPG on the computer

you start the game by creating a charactor using something like the point buy or module system (hey an excuse for a full on mechwarrior ATOW char gen program possibly as a "offline/trial program" (I am thinking something like the old city of heroes char gen module)
you generate your avatar (or paper doll) and then start into the game

since most RPG or MMORG games are based around classes the challenge is that mechwarrior does NOT force you to make a true charactor class which means some aspects of mission design might work out "oddly"

the thing is it also gives the developers a need for more flexability in missions IE rather than only having kill x whatevers, you should have kill missions, diplomatic missions, trading missions etc

it would be nice to have multiple planets to travel to even if they are not much more than a city or 2 that is "populated" but if it is a well designed "universe" you could add additional planets, and additional "cities" to each planet

being able to train skills to use additional unit types that you did not gen up skills for (at charactor creation) should be possible due to the non class based nature of the game.

I think it would be fun to have a char that starts out as infantry, a tech or similar who manages to "jack", or otherwise obtain a mech, then learn how to pilot it.

it would be really cool if there were personal interaction/combat portions of the game in addition to vehicle combat portions, another thing that would be fun is to hop into your aerospace fighter, dogfight with enemy fighters, then go and strafe the enemy mechs after your side manages to suppress the enemy fighter cover.

Stahlseele

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2012, 06:43:43 »
Take Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries:
Give it a Graphical Update.
Call it a work nicely done.

I'd much rather see a new MechCommander right now.
One using the Warhammer 40.000 - Dawn of War II Engine.
Quote from one of the Mechwarrior: Living Legends Mod Developers:
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness ****** the shit ****** random!'

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 02 February 2012, 16:41:23 »
hehehe
you just made me drool on my keyboard....!
we are way over due for rts type game like mech commander.../
dont get me wrong wolf missions and omni projects are very good but we do need something fresh and deliciously addictive from the rts side...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 03 February 2012, 06:54:11 »
mech commander in DOW2 engine, sounds good...I remember that there was a mod a while ago doing that, but like a said, that was years ago...

isnt MWLL where u can go in n out of mechs, tanks, apc, jets, etc.. ? (bit like SWBF 2)

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #16 on: 16 February 2012, 16:19:33 »
As a coder, and somebody who has spent considerable time looking at and coding BT rules, there are IMO a few things that need to be done before any "game code" can be written.

#1.  A design system for *everything*.  I'm working on this now, and will have a beta soon.  It'll probably save unit data as binary XMLs that are all inclusive.
#2.  If the game is going to be 3d, which it surely will be, 3D models.  I can code, but I can't do models.  We would need hundreds, if not thousands, of mech/vehicle models at least 1000 poly's each (more with LOD) with things like separate arms/legs, animations, damage details, etc, etc...   Heck, there could even be things like cheer animations, ejection animations, pilot mount/dismount animations, etc, etc
#3.  The most important.  TPTB need to answer rule conflicts that arise (and they arise FAST when a computer has to determine the results) quickly and officially so progress doesn't get halted every time you gotta figure out interactions between 2 pieces of equipment.

I've already written a 2D interface in DirectX, so that part is easy.  The actual code for dealing with logistics, damage, weapon stats, etc, etc is all relatively easy.  Give me a dozen models with animations and all the attributes I need and I can start working on the 3D engine, though I could use somebody with much better DX experience to assist.

Larger units could be problematic, as AI is never very good.  I would guess AI would be done on a leader level.  There is a regimental AI leader that give battalions orders, battalion AI's that give company orders, company AI's that give platoons/lances orders, and then individual AIs for those units operating within their parameters.  Doing something like that, and having 1000 poly models, I could easily see 2 regiments fighting it out, and one could take over any one of those AI levels.

Making a game really isn't *that* hard.  I know 99.99% of people who start games fail, but its their skillsets.  You need a modeler, graphics artist, DX engine coder, 2D interface coder, sound/music coder, etc, etc... using ripped stuff from other games can help replace sound/music/graphics, but for BT 3D models with the correct criteria are essential.  Heck, if somebody even did just isometric pixel art for the mechs, much like mech-commander, I could do the rest :)

In fact, if your ok with megamek like top-down units and slightly better non-hex based terrain, I can do all of that.... in fact its my plan, soon as I finish a "build everything" designer, which keeps getting stuck with issues I can't get timely answers for :(
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Kovax

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 30 March 2012, 10:51:30 »
To me, the "ultimate" Battletech game would be something about 1/2 way between Succession Wars and MechCommander.  Assign forces to different worlds along your "small" stretch of border as a "strategic" game, and launch or defend against invasions covering the Jumpships, Dropships, and Aerospace Fighters, then the ground combats in "tactical" combat, either turn-based or RTS.

The "Holy Grail" would be to allow you to run any unit in those tactical combats in cockpit-view FPS mode, like the MW2-4 games.

Stahlseele

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 01 April 2012, 11:21:33 »
"Stormin" Michael Searcy, Vandergraff, Allard-Liao.
I want a complete campaign set on Solaris VII!
Either when Justin Xiang-Allard Liao was there or when his son was there or when the Civil War was there or when the WOB Storm was there . . ALL of the big Arenas. We still lack at least 2 of the big house Arenas! <.<
Ability to build up ones own Stable. Or join an established big stable. Maybe make it the history of Solaris, a whole Game set on Solaris VII throughout the ages, from the Star League till the Republic?

Destructible Terrain/Buildings. More of the old Classics of Battlemechs. Not too redesigned.
Changes in the Mechs-Equipment being clear to see by changes to the actual Model. So if i replace the one shoulder Launcher of a Catapult with a Large Laser, it should look like a Mix between the Classic Catapult and the Kurita Katapult.
Close-Combat with Mechs. Tanks maybe?
Flipable Arms on certain Chassis?
Side-Look with only weapons of that side arm being able to fire.

Or hell, just give me MW2: Mercenaries in a good looking engine of today and i'll be happy again . .
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness ****** the shit ****** random!'

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 01 April 2012, 12:41:31 »
"Stormin" Michael Searcy, Vandergraff, Allard-Liao.
I want a complete campaign set on Solaris VII!
Either when Justin Xiang-Allard Liao was there or when his son was there or when the Civil War was there or when the WOB Storm was there . . ALL of the big Arenas. We still lack at least 2 of the big house Arenas! <.<
Ability to build up ones own Stable. Or join an established big stable. Maybe make it the history of Solaris, a whole Game set on Solaris VII throughout the ages, from the Star League till the Republic?

I have mixed feelings towards this. While Solaris 7 was an interesting pastime in MechWarrior 2 and MechWarrior 4, successful game needs more. It needs interesting story, and I am afraid that too many one-off Solaris matches would result in boredom.

Destructible Terrain/Buildings. More of the old Classics of Battlemechs. Not too redesigned.

It would be nice, but if you want Classics, you want (essentially) Unseens because they are in the game from the beginning. You can't get more classical 'Mechs than those. But there's a small legal problem, you know ...

Changes in the Mechs-Equipment being clear to see by changes to the actual Model. So if i replace the one shoulder Launcher of a Catapult with a Large Laser, it should look like a Mix between the Classic Catapult and the Kurita Katapult.

I agree.
One thing I hated on MechWarrior 3: Pirates Moon was the moment when I met Awesome (for example) and enemy 'Mech opened with thunderbolt missiles followed with a salvo from UAC-20.

Close-Combat with Mechs.

You meant melee weapons and physical attacks? Good idea.

But there's one problem: You need 'Mech with hands to wield clubs and hatchets, but many 'Mechs lack hand actuators. Some players could avoid buying those 'Mechs,  in order not to be in disadvantage.

Tanks maybe?
Definitely. But those vehicles must be really protected with strong armour. In all MechWarrior games vehicles were more or less nuisance, succumbing after first or second PPC hit. I imagine Manticores instead of Myrmidons from MW4, with thicker armour and LRMs to make them more dangerous.

Flipable Arms on certain Chassis?

That's something I have lacked. Mektek guys added nice Rifleman 'Mech, so it would be nice to have option to switch targeting system from front viewport to rear camera view and flip arms with one press of a key on keyboard.

Stahlseele

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 02 April 2012, 06:51:28 »
@Unseen-Problem:
There are classics that are not problematic . .
Hunchback, Thunderbolt, Stalker etc. etc. etcetera, drekcetera . .

@Solaris VII and one off matches being too boring:
There are Multi-Lance fights with several lances all fighting for the win for example.
King of the hill is an option too. Capture the Flag probably not so much. Domination maybe.
Team and Single-Player both possible. Cooperative Game-Play too.
Also, i don't want JUST Arena-Fights. I want a campaign set on Solaris when WAR comes to play.
See the Searcy Story Line for example.

@Melee:
These are, of course, hugely situational. But kicks should always be possible even if the Weapons are disabled.
Propper Ramming and DFA too, given there are Jumpjets. Also, there are Mechs with built in Melee Weapons.
You don't need hands for that. You can hit people with the Arm-PPC of an Awesome too. It's just slightly harder.

@Tanks:
Not neccessarely, but i love playing them in MWLL, where they don't keel over and die from just about anything immediately.

Flipable Arms are on several designs. Some of them Classics. Jaeger-Mechs. Stalkers. Several others too.

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #21 on: 30 April 2012, 06:30:09 »
Circlevision strip

Actually based on the board game, instead of "based on the cover of one of the novels"
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Spheroid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2012, 02:10:29 »
I would like a fusion of the boardgame mechanics and previous simulator attempts.

All weapons fire would correspond to hit boxes that would shrink or grow depending on variables that the player controlled(i.e. speed, range, terrain and heat). I think this would make light mechs much more survivable through high movement modifiers.   Weapons would take up to 10 seconds to cycle and heat should linger a long time, but with a gradual increase in the negative effects. 

However successful hit locations would be based on the classic random locations of the board game.  This would prevent the alpha-strike instant death or having a leg blown off by 10 small laser problem and make large guns like the AC20 or gauss much better when comparing to laser spam.

« Last Edit: 01 May 2012, 02:25:13 by Spheroid »

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 31 May 2012, 02:40:35 »
an ability to choose which arm of the chosen faction's military you would like to serve in, eg, Elemental, Tanker, Aerospace, Mech, or Mechcommander. And all those missions tie into each other

Also character devolpment, like mmorpg's, in ones chosen faction

Der Kommissar

• Master Sergeant
  • That's a clean burnin' platoon, I tell you what.
« Reply #24 on: 31 May 2012, 13:58:26 »
I'd like a proper successor to Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, set entirely pre-Clan, like Mechwarrior 3015 was supposed to be.  I'd like to see multiple interesting storypaths for the player to take depending on who he sides with and where.  I'd like to see mech canon respected - no Mechwarrior 4 or MechAssault-style raping of designs.  I'd like non-mech units to not only feature, but play a considerable role, including infantry.  I'd like to see alternative ammunition types as we see in the TT game, and niche weapons actually serving in their niche (eg flamers for anti-infantry and firestarting work, flak round to bat aerospace fighters out of the sky).  I'd like to see nicely-implemented environments that respond to walking arsenals duking it out in the area (one of the few things MechAssault did right with its very fun to destroy cities).

I'd really enjoy some sort of co-op component, even if it were divorced from the main game.  Tackling a series of missions as a lance of mechs Left4Dead style might be very fun.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2012, 14:00:09 by Der Kommissar »

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #25 on: 31 May 2012, 14:16:57 »
Battle force style rules, operational comand not just tactical.

Urban Kufahl

• Lieutenant
  • Si vis pacem.. et caetera, ad nauseam
« Reply #26 on: 06 June 2012, 13:14:10 »
Missions :
- Recon phase (if you are detected the comp could be able to reinforce the position)
- Planing phase (set the nav point, objectives, forces)
- Mission run

Possibility for the comp to launch counter attack and drive you back (returning to the precedent campagne step).

Orion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #27 on: 20 June 2012, 12:10:31 »
Gimme the 3rd SW era, where parts are hard to find, and I'm happy to have even an Urbanmech.  I want logistics.  Lots of logistics.  Make me worry about having enough ammo and armor sheets and spare heat sinks around.  Make fixing the damage take time, so that I have to prioritize which units get fixed first, if at all.  Make me care about salvage, and run an intersteller junkyard / auction / mech parts chain that I can sell unwanted salvage to and which I can purchase stuff as it randomly comes up.  Don't give me magical fixes to everything and unlimited parts - make me work for it.  Make there be differences in models of components, so that trying use a laser salvaged from a Dragon in my Centurion takes extra time.  Make it so that having a good tech team may be more important than having hotshot pilots.

Make me assign pilots to the mechs, and don't allow using the same pilot over and over and over in any mech I have.  When pilots do move to a new mech, they gradually learn the new systems, and aren't automatically fully capable in it.  Allow pilots to be assigned to training details so they can get their skills in the new mech/weapon up, but they aren't available for missions during that time.  Make it possible that my pilots and techs get fed up with me, think I'm a lousy commander, or just want to start their own merc group.  I can try to convince/bribe them to stay, but make it possible they'll leave and take their mechs with them.

Make me split my forces on multiple simultaneous missions, or attack my base when most of my guys are out on patrol and those left behind have to defend.  Don't make every single mission possible to win - sometimes the enemy should have better forces, and the point is in trying to see how much I can save.  Don't always give me accurate intelligence.  Let me dicker over contracts if I am a mercenary.  Maybe I'm willing to give up all salvage in return for higher salary, or free transport.

In short, let me run the unit and the campaign.  Make this the center of the game, not holding a joystick.
Game mechanics are a way of resolving questions in play, not explanations of the world itself.