Author Topic: New MW5 DLC - The Dragon's Gambit  (Read 4353 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: New MW5 DLC - The Dragon's Gambit
« Reply #30 on: 08 October 2023, 08:49:37 »
Yeah, I liked some of the mods (Skip the Jump Ship Animation for one), but I can live with it.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #31 on: 08 October 2023, 17:09:31 »
Yeah I legit don't understand "mod culture" in modern games. First of all it generates lots of copes when the developer releases something subpar: "Yeah but you gotta download the mods, maaaannnnn." No I shouldn't have to download any extraneous third party software to make the game playable.

Then, secondly, it's just a great way to insure you end up all sorts of problems when a new patch/DLC comes out. It should be really obvious that modified games are gonna unstable, they're called "mods" for a reason.

Now I'm gonna go back to playing Mech 5...

That's one thing I like about fallout 4 mods on XBox they don't change the core ae they are add-ons which if switched off/deleted just give you the standard game

I don't like its limited in the amount you can add nor that achievements are disabled but I approach mods in that as an after game alternative ie you want to play differently or do new things beyond the game and DLC I normally have one core non molded game and one molded one if using mods
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

S2pidiT

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 09 October 2023, 09:03:03 »
Yeah I legit don't understand "mod culture" in modern games. First of all it generates lots of copes when the developer releases something subpar: "Yeah but you gotta download the mods, maaaannnnn." No I shouldn't have to download any extraneous third party software to make the game playable.

Then, secondly, it's just a great way to insure you end up all sorts of problems when a new patch/DLC comes out. It should be really obvious that modified games are gonna unstable, they're called "mods" for a reason.

Now I'm gonna go back to playing Mech 5...
I have enjoyed MechWarrior 5 without mods and am fine that way, but I do like the mods I have. I also understand that there is no support for mods, and that an update can/will break them. If that happens, oh well.

About the DLC: I just got to Arcturus, and I am really digging the feeling and the set pieces. I also like the starting 'Mechs and the Otomo ones coming along the way.

EDIT: Wrong Arc-planet, I got Arcadia and Arcturus mixed up. Oops.
« Last Edit: 10 October 2023, 11:05:14 by S2pidiT »

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #33 on: 17 January 2024, 05:50:45 »
Doing a bit of necromancy here, but replying to this thread seems saner than trying to start a new one. Just wanted to share impressions after finally finishing the Dragon's Gambit DLC! Started a new career for this, played all the way through to 3039 haha.

1. The intro in career mode is pretty bizarre, as Comstar is mad at you for killing some guy you've never met. They're quite insistent you owe them because of this dead guy. Who you didn't kill. Because it's career mode. Also it feels like the game automatically assumes you need your arm twisting to support the DC. Honey, I'm a +5 Hero in the Combine. My machines all have the Kurita camo scheme in black on scarlet red. No convincing required.

2. The game also works very hard to make sure you only fight against Steiner mercenaries, never house troops and never Davion. Again, feels like there are a bunch of assumptions built into the setup that only hold true for some players.

3. By 3039 I had about 16 assault mechs, fully upgraded, high tier weapons. I never lost a Mech, and only one pilot was ever injured. The pace would be absolutely brutal if you were starting off with the DLC though.

4. The enemy Merc commanders keep shit-talking you as you slice through entire companies of their men without a single loss. Then they say "oh you're in trouble now" and show up with three guys. I would have thought they'd get the picture after the third brutal smackdown.

5. The Otomo color scheme is cool, but only really used the Catapult and BattleMaster. By the time you get the others they're underweight for the missions. Perhaps better timing or lower weight limit missions would let you make greater use of them. They were useful on demolition missions, especially then twin Ac/2s but otherwise just eye candy in the lineup.

6. Looking forward to the Clan update!
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #34 on: 17 January 2024, 05:54:08 »
Ah the elusive double post. Only found in high reputation industrial hubs.
« Last Edit: 17 January 2024, 18:50:33 by Dubble_g »
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #35 on: 17 January 2024, 14:19:36 »
We strictly don't know that there will be a Clan update. There is one expansion left, and it does come out around the time MW5Clans is supposed to, but we don't know what it's about.

That being said, I certainly hope it will be a Clan update. lol
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #36 on: 17 January 2024, 14:23:26 »
Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but if they are coming out with a new game that focuses on the CLANS and Operation Revival etc, why would they input the clans into MW5? Just asking, as from a marketing point that makes little sense.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #37 on: 17 January 2024, 16:09:14 »
Mods extend the life of the product long after the original people who made it have left it behind.

Hell, you get Scorpion quad mech in one mod, you have YET current developers trying to do anything like that.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #38 on: 17 January 2024, 16:14:48 »
Mods is not the same as DLC tho, and I agree mods help extend the life. I am saying why would a developer make and charge $$$ for a game if they are gonna provide the same contest for $ on the previous version.

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 17 January 2024, 16:58:36 »
I agree that the announcement of MW5 Clans sounded like a de facto announcement of the end of MW5 Mercs content.

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #40 on: 17 January 2024, 19:47:14 »
Well, for one, it’s not a “previous version”, it’s a different game. One has career management elements where you’re in charge of a mercenary unit, the other is a more linear story experience as a Clan MechWarrior. It makes sense to me to add Clan ’Mechs and related content to Mercenaries in this instance, because the gameplay loop of each game is different. Additionally, 5Clans will be getting its own set of DLC, so there will definitely be reasons to buy that in addition to 5Mercs even if Mercs gets Clan technology officially added to the game as well.

But we’ll see what happens.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2024, 13:48:32 by Akamia »
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...