Author Topic: Unusual Maps  (Read 737 times)

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
Unusual Maps
« on: 17 April 2024, 13:33:19 »
Any unusual Battletech terrain-maps? 

Like, one with craters that are level 1+ (like the majority of the other planetary-objects*) or one with a large canyon, etc.?

I remember the red-map from a pack that had deep holes, but I don't remember one that was mostly large craters.

*Ok, gas-giants, but we all know what time of map they'd have.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Unusual Maps
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2024, 13:49:35 »
You can find a full list of the mapsheets here:  https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mapsheet

Regarding craters, there are the Desert Sinkholes (#1 and #2) and the Moonscape

And as for a large canyon - they have that, too:  Deep Canyon #1 and #2, and Box Canyon.

Some of the most unusual are the Noisiel Games maps, which are configured for 'Mech scale sports like baseball and hockey.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2024, 13:51:35 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Pistol Pete

• Recruit
  • I can't complain, but sometimes I still do
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2024, 19:47:57 »
Not gonna lie, the gorgeous maps are a huge part of the reason I love Battletech.

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2024, 18:23:38 »
Any unusual Battletech terrain-maps? 

Like, one with craters that are level 1+ (like the majority of the other planetary-objects*) or one with a large canyon, etc.?

I remember the red-map from a pack that had deep holes, but I don't remember one that was mostly large craters.

*Ok, gas-giants, but we all know what time of map they'd have.

We have not seen large subterranean system maps, to my recollection. I am thinking 1 large or 2 normal maps with rubble/rough hexes, holes/sinkholes, streams/depth0,1+ water, and thin stalagmite towers/ridges. Add a couple woodsor signs of civilization (roads, buildings) near the opening, if you want.

S.gage
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2024, 18:34:28 »
or one with a large canyon, etc.?
Mendrugo called it, check out the Sarna page & the Moon & Sinkholes maps.

Also, a canyon can be found in the Mountains & Canyons pack :)

We have not seen large subterranean system maps, to my recollection.
Solaris pack & the famous Ishiyama  :evil:
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2024, 18:37:06 »

Solaris pack & the famous Ishiyama  :evil:

You’re right, forgot about that!
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Until the next Clan Invasion or Jihad, Clan Schrödinger's Cat is and is not Annihilated. :)
Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Novel Clan Golden Century BattleMechs, Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, 1st & 2nd Generation Clan OmniMechs.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2024, 18:50:56 »
A double-sized moonscape map (with tundra on the other side) was a retailer promo during the Clan Invasion release, and can be found on places like eBay now and then.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2024, 05:52:41 »
A double-sized moonscape map (with tundra on the other side) was a retailer promo during the Clan Invasion release, and can be found on places like eBay now and then.
Was that an exclusive item?
On behalf of Sarna I would like to know more…!
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2024, 08:56:15 »
on the subject of unusual maps-if they don't have one, ther's an option involving transparent acetate you can usually get at your local office supply store. (I had one roll last a few YEARS).  draw it out using markers on the acetate, then lay it on the blank-side of your standard paper hex maps.

I don't remember but I seem to recall there was an outfit printing hex grids on clear plastic, so you can go that route too and do the art/layout on the underlayer instead.

we mainly used those methods with our D&D games up until 3rd edition, and it translated over to battletech pretty easily.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2024, 10:42:03 »
Was that an exclusive item?
On behalf of Sarna I would like to know more…!

I believe so! I'm pretty sure that it was included in a pack of retailer items, like a foot-tall Mad Cat standee and some posters. Let me do some research on it and I'll get back to you.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel

Pistol Pete

• Recruit
  • I can't complain, but sometimes I still do
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2024, 13:14:36 »
I believe so! I'm pretty sure that it was included in a pack of retailer items, like a foot-tall Mad Cat standee and some posters. Let me do some research on it and I'll get back to you.

I'm pretty sure you can still get that map on the Catalyst website. I remember it because it was such an unusual (and cool) map. I believe it's one of the large roll-up maps, rather than a paper map.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2024, 13:28:45 »
While Moonscape/Tundra isn't available at retail, I think it was the same maps as are on the Grasslands B/Lunar and Grasslands E/Tundra neoprene mats.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2024, 17:55:41 »
I was thinking about getting Moonscape/Tundra, but I think it is very small, like a sample print of the two maps.

Am I missing it, or is there a snow map besides the Boreal Reaches in Solaris VII?  I have been looking for anything with snow and trees ... I -think- I have a Dark Age map in that style, but it is hexless, of course ...

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #13 on: 27 May 2024, 18:27:50 »
I was thinking about getting Moonscape/Tundra, but I think it is very small, like a sample print of the two maps.

Nope. It's double the normal map size.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2024, 19:05:32 »
Am I missing it, or is there a snow map besides the Boreal Reaches in Solaris VII?  I have been looking for anything with snow and trees ... I -think- I have a Dark Age map in that style, but it is hexless, of course ...

The Tukayyid Dinju Pass map has snow and trees, but not across the entirety of the map - just the upper elevations.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2024, 22:00:04 »
Nope. It's double the normal map size.

Cool, I will have to re-think that ...

The Tukayyid Dinju Pass map has snow and trees, but not across the entirety of the map - just the upper elevations.

Thanks, I'll have to look at that.

Seems like an under-exploited environment, map-wise.  I did find the Dark Age hexless snow map ... a little underwhelming, but I think I had added Lemax trees and little N-Scale houses when I used it.  Also found a farm field map from the same line that is somewhat simple but potentially interesting.

I recently picked up the Hexpack series of maps ... and was actually pleasantly surprised by those ... high quality and cool concept with the customizable terrain. The one component from that line that I didn't get was the dropship. I am kind of surprised that those have not reappeared somewhere.