Author Topic: Stealth Armor Theft  (Read 6375 times)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Stealth Armor Theft
« Reply #30 on: 06 February 2022, 19:01:32 »
They stole several hundred tons of stealth armor (enough to equip a production run, perhaps?) and slagged a few production lines on their way out.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #31 on: 06 February 2022, 19:32:47 »
They stole several hundred tons of stealth armor (enough to equip a production run, perhaps?) and slagged a few production lines on their way out.

Which was really just a preview of what Sun Tzu's pointlessly dickish attitude to non-capellans would get the Confederation when the Jihad and Republic went into full swing.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 06 February 2022, 19:37:53 »
Which was really just a preview of what Sun Tzu's pointlessly dickish attitude to non-capellans would get the Confederation when the Jihad and Republic went into full swing.

it should have happened WELL before. TBHby 3067 the Lyrans where coming off like wilie coyote to the capcon's road runner
The Suns will shine again

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #33 on: 06 February 2022, 19:52:45 »

Then they stole some in transit?  Like I said, I do not have that bit . . . and based on what we see as stationed there, you are right, such a raid would be hard to pull off with just Cappie ASF responding to a escaping DS if nothing else.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 06 February 2022, 19:58:09 »
I don’t want to quote to much of the TRO exactly, but you can get the gist from the Shengli Arms page on Sarna.  There’s a paragraph in the Overview that discusses the whole ordeal.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Shengli_Arms
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #35 on: 06 February 2022, 21:26:49 »
I tried a couple other entries for the information but did not think to check the manufacturer.  Thanks
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 06 February 2022, 22:07:18 »
No problem!  I only found it after searching for the notable Hunchback pilot involved, then checking the Hunchback entry when nothing turned up for him, then finally checking the company.
Sunrise is Coming.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 07 February 2022, 02:48:29 »
and yeah it's honestly pretty silly fluff. from start to finish

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #38 on: 07 February 2022, 10:37:46 »
Did the Hunchback entry say when it happened?  Because depending on the timing, Katherine could have had Norse-Strom's raid happen when a Capellan March unit was raiding the world.  Makes a perfect diversionary raid since they would be unaware of being used that way and typical of Katherine's favoring of Lyran interest over Suns- or her sycophants she brought with her from Tharkad to install on New Avalon like the intel guy nabbed by Curaitis.  Obviously if the raid happened closer to '66 or '67, then Katherine's knowledge of Capellan March troop movements would not be as comprehensive.

Hmm, MUL says the Stealth Spector came out in '67 . . . which based on description, sounds way off.  Especially since their modified variant is listed as '68.

Though it happening in '68 would work . . . grab the stealth armor during Olson's rebellion, which also incidentally cause a lot of damage to the production lines.
Colt Ward

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 07 February 2022, 15:46:57 »
Did the Hunchback entry say when it happened?  Because depending on the timing, Katherine could have had Norse-Strom's raid happen when a Capellan March unit was raiding the world.  Makes a perfect diversionary raid since they would be unaware of being used that way and typical of Katherine's favoring of Lyran interest over Suns- or her sycophants she brought with her from Tharkad to install on New Avalon like the intel guy nabbed by Curaitis.  Obviously if the raid happened closer to '66 or '67, then Katherine's knowledge of Capellan March troop movements would not be as comprehensive.

Hmm, MUL says the Stealth Spector came out in '67 . . . which based on description, sounds way off.  Especially since their modified variant is listed as '68.

Though it happening in '68 would work . . . grab the stealth armor during Olson's rebellion, which also incidentally cause a lot of damage to the production lines.

if it helps 3058u is dated 3070 and 3050u is dated 3071

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #40 on: 07 February 2022, 16:20:04 »
I wonder for the MUL if it is one of those cases of 'was in 3067 NTNU RS' and got that date- at one point the MUL dates were era-ish based.  But being produced at Katherine's suggestion in '67 is past her sell by date, so is the Cappies shipping stealth armor as part of a trade contract during the midst of the Jihad/Op Sovereign Justice, and a slow-down in production in the midst of the mad Jihad scramble due to making the supplier angry would also be bad timing.

Problem is, they had to be producing the Stealth Spectors for a bit, get stalled out when they try to do stuff themselves, and then make their raid.

Raises a couple of interesting RP hooks . . . what happened to the Mask operative set in the team on Loxley?
While they do not let the work crew go, you would figure the Cappies would have sent guys who they could control with hostages back in Cappie space.
Would those workers try to escape back to Cappieland?
How much did LIC try to get the work crews to defect?  Would Hesperus have tried to 'rescue' or lure them away?
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #41 on: 10 February 2022, 23:37:18 »
I find that questionable. Let's look at what the entry actually said.

First of all Norse Storm Battlemechs fought this whole affair in Capellan Court, this means hiring a Lawyer who knows capellan corperate contract law, going through the court process etc. up all the various levels, I have no idea how expensive this would or wouldn't be. And before you argue that the capellan courts may not use the familer adversarial system most of us are familer with, that's not what I nesscarily mean  you also retain a lawyer so you have someone to help you understand/navigate a legal system. pretty common but I reckon a fancy corperate one wouldn'tcome cheap. and there's the cost of the hearings etc that wouldn't be cheap eaither... and Norse storm exhausted all those options. and then finally they basicly sent a "denial force" off to pirate the armor.

thing is this deniable force hit Shelangli arms on Victoria, a major capellan manufacturing center and commonalty capital. A world that in 3067 was guarded by the Prefertorate guard (a 4 battalion in strength unit) and elements of Sung's VC Rangers.

This is a pretty tough nut to crack, and they did SUBSTANTIAL factory damage, so there's no way you can argue the defensive regiments wouldn't be involved here. Also the jumpship trip from Norse storm to shelalgi is absurdly long. from Loxley to Victoria is over 700 light years

yeah the idea it was cheaper to do that then just find a bloody translator?...... that doesn't stretch plausability.. that shatters it

It's not about the cost, it's about sending a message: don't try to cheat us or bad things will happen.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: 11 February 2022, 08:28:45 »
It's not about the cost, it's about sending a message: don't try to cheat us or bad things will happen.

Kind of like how Tanadi (Chandrasekhars company) reacted to sabotage from Irian. Irian lets a dropship crash into a facility (luckily without deaths)? Whoops your tv program shows explicit material during the highly viewed news shows.
Irian sabotages delivered missile launchers. Whoops your target and tracking systems you just build into your Mechs have a virus and you need over half a year to fix that. Though I find those reactions more subtle then rampaging through corporate security and smashing the place

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #43 on: 11 February 2022, 10:28:36 »
Well, not everybody had quite the same touch as Uncle Chandi.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #44 on: 11 February 2022, 16:53:01 »
However, I think it is far more likely that the Capellans gave Norse Storm plain nonsense and just claimed it was some obscure dialect to keep up the charade a little longer.

or possibly, it was the data requested, but not just translated 1 to 1 into some obscure dialect but reinterpreted into another form (including using longer indirect descriptive phrases for all the words and terms missing from that dialect), then ran through a thesaurus a few times, and then translated to the dialect.. the result of which would be effectively gibberish unless you had an interpreter who not only was fluent in the obscure dialect but also understood enough of the context (both of capellan thought and how the armor works) to infer the correct data.

Register