Author Topic: A request for ratings  (Read 1243 times)

McSlayer

• Master Sergeant
A request for ratings
« on: 29 December 2018, 13:38:51 »
So in all the fan fiction forums there doesnt seem to be a place where all fiction can be rated.

Can we have a rating method for readers to rate the quality of each piece of fiction written?

Like 1-5 stars?

This way every piece of fiction is rated against other pieces of work. I think it would be great if we can show the world that good fiction does not have to have the
typical routine cliche' qualities of:

Being a novel that is broken up into a series of scenes.  A scene that either shows conflict or show the reaction to a conflict.  A conflict doesn't necessarily mean there's fighting or arguing going on.  A conflict can be an inner conflict.  Or put another way, a conflict is whenever the Point-of-View character in a scene has a goal or something he or she wants to achieve.  There are obstacles that stand in the way of that goal.  Finally, there is a disaster, failure, or disappointment for that character.  A reaction to a conflict, which is known as a sequel, is after the disaster has occurred. It starts with an emotional response to the disaster or failure. Then the character weighs options. Finally, the character decides to do something or do nothing.  Seems so typical that its boring right?

Please can we add a ratings system?
« Last Edit: 29 December 2018, 13:44:29 by McSlayer »
You might not live more than once, better make it good.

I was born 6-gun in my hand, Behind a gun I'll make my final stand, That's why they call me... Bad Company...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: A request for ratings
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2018, 14:53:56 »
We've always avoided adding customisations to the forum mechanisms. We're managing with the bare minimum of volunteers, and every customisation adds to support, maintenance, and recovery.

(On a side note, the forum has been - touch wood - very stable for some years. That hasn't always been the case. May it continue to be so.)

But there's no reason not to make comments with your own ratings on other peoples' stories - this may encourage others to start doing so.

Worktroll, Ombudsman
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Kwic

• Sergeant
Re: A request for ratings
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2018, 00:41:36 »
Check the number of views.   That serves as a rating system in time. 

Good fiction gets views and reviews