Author Topic: How stands the glass around  (Read 1025 times)

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
How stands the glass around
« on: 08 December 2022, 22:30:19 »
Andurien
Duchy of Andurien

For shame you take no care me boys
Let mirth and wine abound
The trumpet sound
The colors they are flying boys
To fight, kill or wound
May we still be found,
Content with hard fare, my boys
On the cold, cold ground

In a swift motion, glasses flew to their handlers lips. As the delicate liquor swiftly disapeared from the colourless receptacles, grunts of satisfations echoed.
-Mister Ramon.
-Razor.

Colonel Lee sketched an expression, a somewhat derisive smile, but his interlocutor didn't seem to mind.

-Razor, I trust you and your men are willing to commit your very souls on this endeavor?
-Don't fret Jayhawk, we won't let you down.
-Don't mind me asking, but do you realize what is being asked of you and your firm? This isn't some scrum in the back alley of a rascallious pub in downtown Jojoken.
-Me and the boys are fully aware we'll play the role of military auxiliarys.

The young captain, last member of the trio, let fly a scornfull sigh.

-Right, so let's go through this...

The civilian interupted her.

-Get in position, draw their attention, infiltrate while they're focused on the wrong blokes, then blow the place up. Easy peasy chika.

The captain crossed her arms, visibly straining to refrain from making a comment. Colonel Lee let out a small chuckle and extended his hand.

-Well razor, a pleasure knowing you. Do rest assured that our young nation will remember your action. A gallant buisness this shall be. The feds confidence will take quite the shake once we've settled this score.
-Taking a direct part in this sorry tale is all we're asking for. Free Andurien, we'll not go down without a fight.
- A day that shall live on in the annals, new martyrs for our offsprings to honour. Freedom fighters to emulate at a later date. Truely glorious deeds that shall deserve to be written down and deserve to be read.
-Amen.

The crew was casually sippping beers, waiting for the return of their leader, relaxing under the dim light of an abandonned basement. As footsteps were heard, all shot on their feet, most of them nervously arming their weapons. Ramon's voice boomed from the entrance.

-Calm down you knuckleheads and sit down. We got some planning to go through.

A few relieved sighs resounded as everyone settled down. The eldest of the present company spoke up.

-So are we really going to assist the Defenders?
-Damn straight. They gave us the location of a depot. We make it go boom and that'll be their cue to jump in and rattle the cage. Now don't give me those looks, y'all know fully well what you're sitting on. These ain't no christmas decoration crates.
-Are we sure they can pull of this strike?
-About as sure as they are of us getting in and setting the explosives. They look down on us, blasted mechwarriors all, but we'll show 'em. The spirit of Andurien ain't something that can be waved merely from inside a tincan.

A young women spoke up, her voice shaking.

-Razor, I...I'm not so sure about this. Punches and kicks is one thing but...killing cold-blooded...
-Can it Sophia. You're with us. Whether you like it or not, this is the only occasion we'll get to stand up for our rights, for our nation, for our people. You'd be a fool to let the opportunity pass. You're Andurien are you not?

She shot back an insulted glare.
-'Course I am, I'm just sayin'...
-We need carriers. You'll be with Coco's team, the lot of you won't have to fight. The irony of it is I'd bet you'll be the ones getting in...part of the team anyway.
-Fair enough.

Razor looked as if he'd lost his edge for a brief moment, shook his head, then looked around at all the men and women present, his left-over friends and companions through his years of tomfoolry. Sighing, he raised a hand.

-Hard faces on lads and lasses. You all know your assignements, you all know the time table. May we meet again for wine, merryment and some bloody fed stompin'. Keep your heads cool, no matter what.

Everyone raised a hand, as if calmly demanding acknowledgement from a teacher, and nine voices shouted in unison.

-Free Andurien!

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: How stands the glass around
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2022, 20:38:51 »
now a story set some where new..  hope there will be more  :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2022, 21:55:30 »
Sure, gotta finish the song, and there can't be a Razor Ramon whitout a "yo,chico" and a ladder. Should have a half-hour to spare inevitably for the next part.

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2022, 00:13:53 »
Ah what the hey, never could say no to a shove. Mechwarrior 5 is too stimulating at this late an hour anyway.

Why, soldiers why
Should we be melancholy boys
Why soldiers why
Whose business is to die
What sighing fye
Let's not fear, Drink and be Jolly, boys
T''is he, you or I
Cold, hot, wet or dry
We're always bound to follow boys
and scorn to fly.

Coco was pacing, nervously pulling puff after puff, lighting the next with the previous botch.
-Cool down kid, you're gonna wear yourself out 'fore we get there.
-Oh spare me Enrico. Can't believe I'm doing this. Can't believe we're dragging the girls through this. Can't believe we're throwing our lives away for a lost cause. Free andurien my lilly arse, what good is it going to do me if I'm locked away for years...or six feet under?
-Can't believe you're having a melancholy bout at this point. Anyway, shut your yap hole, here comes the girls.

Two figures where walking towards them. From afar, in the dim lighting of street lamps, their singlepiece work suits made them look the piece. Coco hailed them, barely contained exasparation in his voice.
-Damn you two, I was worried sick!
-Oh pipe down, we had to make sure this make over was up to the task. So how do we look?
- Like two warehouse workers going to their night shift.

Enrico offered a sigh and a low whistle.
- Ain't no good lookin' laborer like this in my warehouse.
-Aw shucks, always such the flattering goon aint'cha? We doing this or what?
- You sure I don't need to carry those tool bags for y'all?
- And risk you lighting it up by accident?

They set on their mission, walking casually and laughing, sharing a flask of hard liquor.
-Why don't you lighten up Coco? Take a swig, come on.
- I need my wits about me, all of it. You two are confident you can do this?

Sophia offered a mischevious grin as a spark of pride lighted her eyes.
-You know me. Swip-swop.

As they neared the suppy depot's perimeter, the girls fell back a few meters back and slowed their pace, just to make sure they wouldn't be mistaken as part of the boy's party. As they saw a guardsman under a street lamp, Coco stopped and started meticulously rolling a cigarette.
-Okay, he should spot us pretty quick, zip it and let me do the talking.

Enrico gently patted the younger man's shoulder.
-Don't worry kid, I know my role, I'm just around on account of numbers.

Sure enough, the guard spotted them. Shoutting at his nearby fellows, he started for the Anduriens.
-Hey! Hey you two!
-Here they come.
-What in the blazes are you doing here!? This is a restricted area!
-Oh sorry officer, we must've taken a wrong turn, you know how it is: meet an old friend, start walking and chatting...
-You take me for a fool? This is a darn warzone!
-Well...

Coco appraised the situation. The nearby guards were all converging on him and Enrico, weapons ready, as the girls were nowhere in sight. Then distant gunshots were heard. A guard who had just reached him cried out.
-You little turd!

Coco barely had the time to think of his pillow as he was knocked senseless by the butt-end of a rifle.

"Razor" Ramon was chewing his toothpick, looking at his watch.

-Okay, everybody should be in position. Time to get this show on the road.
-Hey Razor.
-Yeah?
-Keep cool man.
- Shut up and try to keep up Bob.

Walking at a brisk pace, yet with a curously light step, Razor went straight for a guard that was watching the wrong street corner.
-Yo chico.

The FWLM soldier never even had the time to let out a "huh" that Razor's rifle came crashing on his ear. Without a sound the duo sneaked forward, evading this patrol, knocking out this watchman. Then distant gunshots were heard. Razor turned to his compagnero.

-Looks like Styx's group are done for and now the beehive been kicked to action. Time to make 'em panic. See that small building?
-Uh, yeah.
- We're blowing it up.
-Ain't look like more then a makeshift mess hall.
-Who cares. Important thing is to keep 'em running around and give space to the girls. We ain't getting to the depot proper. Not anymore.

Nearly a full platoon passed before them, running towards the sound of the gunshots.

-Let's wait 30 seconds, then we take a run.

Thirty seconds of pure, unbridled stress. The heat emanating from the two men was such that Razor ripped up his shirt to try to cool down. Then they ran. They were nearly there when Bob fell down with a welp.

-Damn Bob! Get up!

The only answer he got was a bullet whistling near his ear. Razor dived for the bag lying besides the corpse of his partner, then armed a grenade contained within and threw it against the target building. A modest explosion followed by a wave oh fire engulfed the messhall.

-Now what?

A bullet caught him square in the shoulder. As endorphine kicked in to supplement the adrenaline, Razor ran right in the direction of the last shot.

-Bastard leaguer is up top is he?

Dropping his rifle, he lept and grabbed a handle of the ladder which led to the roof. He climbed like a raging baboon. The ladder actually went further then the roof itself. Razor climbed to the top of it, under the eyes of the bewildered sniper who's aim was thrown off, then jumped, crashing down on the soldier, elbow first. Picking up the poor man like a ragdoll, swinging him as to be back against back, he then crashed him into the roof head first. But by then the sniper's spotter had finally moved to jump in the fray and unloaded the full clip of his needler. Razor Ramon fell to his knees, disfigured by the hail of needles and collapsed.

I had my doubts about this cappie technology, but today this Raven was a godsend.

-Colonel Lee, you really think we can count on those jokers?
- Heh, captain Santa Anna, if this "razor" is half as good at covert ops as he is with his fists, you can be damn sure we'll get the split-up we're wishing for.
- Do you know him?
- Well I wouldn't say I *know* him. Met him at a couple of rally's. But, well, quite the few years ago, back when I was but a junior officer, me and my unit went to down a few brews in a pub. Thing is a group of the Atrean Hussars had had the same idea. Once everybody got drunk, tempers exploded. We were outnumbered, but lucky for us, Ramon and his jolly buch of thugs were there. Saw him smash a leaguer through a pool table.
- Through it?
- Right through.

From their position, mostly submerged in a river, they barely saw the fire.
-There's our cue.
-Not yet. Too small. Something's gone awry. Get everyone systems ready, we'll hope for more.
-And if that's all we get.
- Give them a few minutes. We really need their 'mechs to split up, we can't face 'em all at once. Not in this state. If it *is* all we get, well, to hell with it all. I ain't turning back.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2022, 00:15:35 by butchbird »

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2022, 19:27:30 »
O, T'is is in vain
I mean not to upbraid you boys
O, T'is is in vain
for soldiers to complain
Should next campaign
send us to him who made us boys
We're free from pain
But should we remain
A Bottle and kind Land lady
cure's all again"

Sophia and her fellow partisan were now nearing the biggest warehouse on the lot. Walking hurriedly, like people whom are merely duing the duty, post-haste and duely. The depot was bristling with activity. Infantrymen deploying for a feared attack, the firedepartment hurrying to the eastern part of the complex. All too busy to make much of two humble workers.

- Sweet lady Humphreys, we shouldn't have accepted to do this. This is too much for us.
- Brace it out, we made it this far and the stars be our witnesses, we're going to deliver.
- Too much for me.

Sophia grabbed her friend by the arm. Talking to her while still walking.

-We're a real part of this war now. That's what we all wanted. That's why most of our compagnero's are in some kind of dire situation or another.

They made it to the main warehouse, stock full of edibles and other vital supplies, and made their way into the targeted building.

-I say Alfred, there Andurien teas are most dreadfull.
- Hm, yes, master Wolfe, I'll see to it that you get suitable products.
- Most appreciated.

A flash illuminated through the window. The main warehouse was flaming.

-These persky rebels are most troubling.
- Most shocking sir.
-Pass me the radio, I must send for 'mech support.

Colonel Lee turned on full power for his Orion. Exhibiting a predator grin, face flush by the desire for battle, he opened the channel for what was left of his company.

-Here we are my fellow Anduriens. We have the opportunity to strike back. To let them know this isn't over. That as long as brave women and men of Andurien breath, the spirit of our people will yearn for freedom. Tonight, they shall feel our righteouss indignation, righteouss for who are they to attempt to reclaim our lands? They who refuse to contemplate reality. They who would rather sell us again as mere baubles then grasp the opportunitys offered by fate.

My fellow Andurien, Perhaps this shall be our last battle. But stay assured that whatever the outcome, this additional engagement shall not be in vain. At best we shall cripple the company facing us, at worst our deeds will inspire others. Our children or our children's children, so that they too shall here, shall *feel* their very nature's calling. Besides, who the hell eats shepard pie with carrots and peas instead of corn between potatos and ground beef? With worcestershire sauce instead of ketchup? Now, Let us charge and show them our resolve. Free Andurien!

Exhausted, Sophia reached the front porch of her mother's house. She banged softly, praying someone from her family would be home. The door opened slowly and she slipped in.

Without a word, Sophia took her mom in her arms and let go of a few sobs.

-There, there dear. You did what your calling demanded of you. Now, let me go make you a hot, hard grog. I'll call your uncle, he'll make preparations.
-Thank you so much mom.

She was already feeling the warmth come back to her.

Song as an outline: check (if you havn't caught the reference:" how stands the glass around", excellent 18th century redcoat song)
Doing something on Andurien 'cause it just fits with the legend tied to the song: check
Using Razor Ramon: check
Having "Jayhawk" Lee make a fiery speech...I think that's done, though not too sure what qualifies for fiery whitout control on intonation, so check
Culinary reference: check

Hope y'all enjoy another exercise.

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2022, 20:11:08 »
Good story in a setting we usually don't hear about.  Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it  :thumbsup:

Register