Author Topic: NEW RELEASE: BattleTech Beginner Box and BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat  (Read 104258 times)

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
They really need to stop flying in a few samples to sell at Gen Con, if the bulk hasn't arrived, display samples only.

Ok, the downbsides: you forfeit excitement. Avoid products begin taken back to groups and fueling the appetites of ohers as the normal distribution chain works out. You choose not to have any exciting major cons releases..just displays. No one goes to Con to see a display.

That idea in effect tells fans "Don't bother coming to our booth at a Con, we wont have anything new for you that you couldn't already get."

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
That idea in effect tells fans "Don't bother coming to our booth at a Con, we wont have anything new for you that you couldn't already get."

Something which was true Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And they paid a premium for that.
This could be been made slightly less crap if they did 1 box per sale, and rationed sales to 50/50/100 each da, two things they seem incapable of doing.

The solution is just ignore Paul.

Exilyth

• Private
The new box with eight minis is apparently priced to be more self-sustaining for future printings (fewer minis, paper maps help). Hopefully it works out

Hopefully it will.

Being unable to just point people at a beginner product has severly hurt the influx of new players in my region. It usually goes "Total Warfare, a Technical Readout and four (metal) mechs cost WHAT together?" and then many people look into other games.  :(

As for cons, it's perfectly fine that boxes are sold at cons. A one/two per person (maybe per day) limit on buys would be good too, with 'no limits' buying on the later half of the last day to ensure all stock is gone.

What I believe could have been handled better was the timing - on a convention, you've got to show your product from the best side to look better than the competition. Instead of rushing production, causing quality issues, CGL could have focussed on making the beginner box available in the required quality and could then have released the COAG box at another con.

Then again, I've yet to see a non-FASA release of an intro box go right.  ;)
"Wife, in honor of our marriage, in addition to this morsel I give you a vast prize. My love, I give you the Capellan Confederation!" - Hanse Davion to Melissa Steiner-Davion at their wedding reception, sparking the Fourth Succession War, August 20, 3028

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
The old box was a loss leader, meaning it sold at a loss with the hope of drawing people in and boosting sales. T

Unfortunately, as I understand it, not the case. I'm sure I've seen posts by TPTB to this effect.

Logically, CGL isn't big enough to do that as a planned activity (don't talk about Leviathans, that was not planned to be as expensive as it ended up being thanks to fun & games by the manufacturer.)

Not saying they made a gold bar per box, but not a loss leader.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Unfortunately, as I understand it, not the case. I'm sure I've seen posts by TPTB to this effect.

Logically, CGL isn't big enough to do that as a planned activity (don't talk about Leviathans, that was not planned to be as expensive as it ended up being thanks to fun & games by the manufacturer.)

Not saying they made a gold bar per box, but not a loss leader.

W.

I distinctly remember posts to the effect that the older boxes were in fact either loss leaders or very close to it.

That's actually where I learned the term loss leader. :D
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
I distinctly remember posts to the effect that the older boxes were in fact either loss leaders or very close to it.

That's actually where I learned the term loss leader. :D

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=60405.msg1389003#msg1389003

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
I stand corrected.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Ok, the downbsides: you forfeit excitement. Avoid products begin taken back to groups and fueling the appetites of ohers as the normal distribution chain works out. You choose not to have any exciting major cons releases..just displays. No one goes to Con to see a display.

Nothing stops Gencon from being where a new product drops, but CGL's current method of handling it is really poor, if it's so import you have to stop everything else for it and have new product, the pipeline should be better set up to have said new product available.

Plus every dollar a scrapper makes above purchase is a dollar that CGL doesn't get.

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant

Plus every dollar a scrapper makes above purchase is a dollar that CGL doesn't get.
But CGL already made their money when the scalper bought it; same as any brick and mortar store selling above msrp.

The only reason this may hurt CGL is people blowing money on scalped product instead of spending on a normal priced one.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2018, 05:07:19 by Joewrightgm »

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
Double post: a UK games company just released the  prices for their mech combat game; ‘starter set’ $290.

Sooo... Battletech:)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
So they are buying the scalper set and then getting their profit?  It would be interesting if you dropped them a note to find out if they realized it would come out cheaper in a few months?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Double post: a UK games company just released the  prices for their mech combat game; ‘starter set’ $290.

Sooo... Battletech:)

So they are buying the scalper set and then getting their profit?  It would be interesting if you dropped them a note to find out if they realized it would come out cheaper in a few months?

He's talking about a completely different game.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Ah, I misread that . . . I know the dollar vs the pound has come down since I visited the UK but that number was still pretty large in my head.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
Ah, I misread that . . . I know the dollar vs the pound has come down since I visited the UK but that number was still pretty large in my head.

Sorry for the confusion; broken down for clarity:

1st thought.  Don’t feed the scalper.

2nd thought: there is a UK game co that has a game set in the grim darkness of the far future, and the starter set is $290.  STARTER.  SET.  Compared to $80 if you REALLY go nuts and buy both the starter and the ‘big’ Battletech boxes.

I’ll be sticking with Battletech.

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
Something which was true Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And they paid a premium for that.
This could be been made slightly less crap if they did 1 box per sale, and rationed sales to 50/50/100 each da, two things they seem incapable of doing.

I guess "they" don't get it.  Who exactly are they so you can call it point made already?

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
I guess "they" don't get it.  Who exactly are they so you can call it point made already?

You think it would improve anything?

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
You think it would improve anything?

Sure.  Why not?  I'm guessing its not HG or Herb...

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel

It's the people running the booth. Duh.
But no, I don't think this'll change anything. It hasn't in years, why now?

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
They got product to the con though. Only thing to do from this point on is just make sure that next year with loads of prep time that everything is ready.

I honestly think that the updated mechs will make a big difference.

Not much to do beyond that except maybe manufacture social proof. Pay young people to demo the product. Send some boxes out to youtubers or something.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
They got product to the con though. Only thing to do from this point on is just make sure that next year with loads of prep time that everything is ready.

Dates for Gen Cons have been set through 2022, so here's hoping.

Not much to do beyond that except maybe manufacture social proof. Pay young people to demo the product.

I have a marketing budget?

But seriously, organic reach like what you're describing is fine, but IMO it can't be the basis of a modern marketing strategy in the gaming industry. Part of one, sure. But when people say things like, "I see all these ads on Facebook for Fantasy Flight Games, CGL should send demo teams out to stores to promote BT like it's 1994," those aren't the same thing at all.

I digress.

Send some boxes out to youtubers or something.

There's a list of individuals in the gaming blog/media space who receive review copies of certain items. Standard practice.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Marc C

• Corporal
Hello! First post here.

I played lots of MechWarriors Clix for a few years when the game came out. When the fad died down locally I was sidetracked into 40k for years, then Warmachines and finally Infinity. Each time I would look at BattleTech but evil store clerks would direct me to other games...

This time around I'm buying the «BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat» box.
________________________________________________________________________________
RPG played : B/X • AD&D1e, AD&D2e, D&D3e, D&D5E • Star Frontiers • Star Wars WEG • D20 Modern • Star Wars Saga • Numenara • Ashen Stars • Coriolis the Third Horizon • Modern AGE
________________________________________________________________________________
WARGAMES played : Starfire • Cars Wars • Ogre/GEV • MechWarrior Dark Ages • 40K • Infinity • SAGA Dark Ages • Freebooters Fate • Pulp City • Dropzone Commander • Gates of Antares • BSG Space Battles

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Hello! First post here.

I played lots of MechWarriors Clix for a few years when the game came out. When the fad died down locally I was sidetracked into 40k for years, then Warmachines and finally Infinity. Each time I would look at BattleTech but evil store clerks would direct me to other games...

Hey! Welcome to the forums! We're glad to have you.

I am excited for you and the adventures you will craft for yourself and your friends in the Inner Sphere and beyond. :)

Let us know if you have any questions! We all love to help.
« Last Edit: 08 August 2018, 15:37:26 by Kitsune413 »

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Hello! First post here.

Welcome!

Enjoy the comradery, the debate and the shared love for this great game. If you have any questions, just post them and someone will answer them! Have fun and don't be a stranger!

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major

Sorry, what the heck was this about again?

- Herb

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
I got the beginner's box and BattleTech A Game of Armored Combat today.

The quality of everything is absolutely amazing. Even the packaging is great. They are also the best plastic miniatures I've run into. I'm super impressed.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Can you post close-up high-res pics of the miniatures?  It'll solve the question of 'melted looking' that the video seems to show; we're hoping it's just a mix of video encoding and youtube compression.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Greatclub

• Captain
I'm guessing there's some sub-surface scattering going on too; that's the reason reaper's bones plastic looks to crap until you get the first coat on.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VfaLuLommewbhcHe8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CRUWxbroEvquRVZK9

From left to right.

Mad Cat. Citytech 2nd edition.
Awesome - Introductory Box Set 3500 D.
Awesome - Introductory Box Set 3500 B
Awesome - Introductory Box Set 3500 A

It isn't even close. The new Mini's like the 1992 American Basketball Olympic Dream Team and the old Mini's are like.... Ireland or something. I don't know? who sucks at Olympic basketball?
« Last Edit: 10 August 2018, 02:54:53 by Kitsune413 »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Also quick correction, the final awesome isn't from 3500 A it's from 3500.

That weird yellow stuff on it's arm? (even the outside of his arm) the glue they put it together with in manufacturing. Yuck.

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
Any chance of an estimate on a street date for the rest of us peasants? :)